Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHi! Newbie here needing advice !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi! Newbie here needing advice !
    Posted: 16-October-2005 at 20:16

Hi there guys. I've been thinking for months and I have finally made up my mind.... I am going ahead and buy my dream car - an E39 523. Found a cpl from the auto-trader and cbg websites.It would also be my first ever car ( been driving my parents cars for years !), adn therefore I must admit that I am somewhat naive when it comes to buying used cars. Thats why I am here with a few questions and I hope u guys can help me:

1) What should I look out for when buying a second hand car. I know this may sound silly, I havent a clue to to inspect and what questions to ask before buying a used car. The 2 cars I short listed has a FBMWSH ( took me AGES to figure that one out ! ). Is that usually enough ?

2) The Nikasil issue - Is there a way to tell if the car is affected or now. I know I can always ask the garage owner but how to I get proof?

3) What is the fuel consumption like ? How much is a full tank usually?

4) Anymore tips/hints for a first time car buyer ?

Thanks Guys !

Sponsored Links

Valdas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 03:57

good choice for a first car!

As far as i know Nikasil issue affected cars made until 04.98 if you buy newer than that you're ok. if car made before that your best bet would be to check compression in each cyllinder. it very simple and quick test, but it is hard to find garage wich has that tool. Also you can start engine (must be cold),  fully open door and look at the top edge for vibation. good engine vibration should be barely visible.

Other common issue is steering rack. on the test drive go trough pot holes (not the very big ones Big Smile) and see what is like.

Fuel consumption depends on your driving style. In Mondello yesterday i got 16 mpg but on the motorway driving 65 mph you'll get 37-40 mpg. (at least that is what my computer says)bigok

Im not great on buying cars myself, but i know that perfect one does not exist (similar like with the women biggrinbounce2) so have few spare quid ready for repairs or upgrades.

good luck on buying your first car!

BM Fan View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 04:40
Nice choice of car - if it has a FBMWSH then BMW should be able to vrify if the block has been changed for Nikasil.

Full tabk is porbably €70 - or so, thats what teh 520i costs.

MPG depends on driving style and what gearbox is in it - my better half gets 27mpg out of the auto 520 which is a 2.2l, I can get around 30 and thats all city driving
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 05:35
Where are you based? Im sure myself or another E39 owner can view it with you.
When I went searching for mine I was focused on the Nikasil problem and believe I came across a few which were victims to it. In one dealership, I was run out for mentioning it! Whatever, you do if the car was made (not registered!) before march 98 then make sure it has a full BMW service history.
Anyhow, I also wanted leather and aircon and managed to get it. i also got nice 17" wheels and sunroof and a few other bits and pieces. Don't go for a basic model. There are loads of 523i cars out there so you may as well get a good one.
My 523i will give excellent mileage (70L tank I think) - I got 600 miles on the autoroute in France @ about 100mph average! However, I drive from Leixlip to the city centre daily and get much much less but I choose not to find out the true urban mpg as I prefer living in denial!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 06:08
welcome! there are plenty of '98 523's on cbg and the like, but not much in the way of '99s. You might be lucky and get a late '98 model - post nikasil.

But be very very picky. Decide whats important to you and hold out until you find one that meets your criteria. i.e. leather, aircon, alloys, PRICE!, milage etc.

I reckon a late '98 523i with full SE spec inc leather, aircon, alloys etc. With around the 80-90k milage in very good condition, with a FBMWSH can be had for around 12000 euro easily enough. take off or add about 3k per year.
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 06:11

Here are a couple of options for you... carzone.

Watch out - in the interior pics, look for pictures of the steering wheel.  If there are buttons on it, you should have radio controls and cruise control and, possibly, a button for switching your air around (haven't figured out exactly how to use that myself, yet!)

Also, look at price v mileage - a lot of the cars are the same price with completely different mileages.  Also, hold out for a good spec - I did and I'm happy! (my absolute MUST was cruise control!!!)

Good choice of motor, and happy driving.

Oh, yeah - welcome to the forum.  Where are you based?

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 07:08

Rosso

Welcome! 

As Killian mentioned, there are a few of us that have 5's of one sort or another, including 523i's.  If you let us know where you are based and some more about the cars you have shortlisted, we should be able to help more. 

On mine, I'm averaging 34mpg according the the on board computer, but most of my driving consists of long runs and not much town driving.  It cost me about €80 to fill up from running on fumes the other day and I typically get about 520-550 miles from a tank.  They are a great car but you do need to be careful buying them because they are complex and if you buy a bad one you'll end up paying more in the long run.  A full dealer history is definitely an asset but it is no guarantee against things like nikasil.  Mine has been totally reliable, in every respect, but there have been horror stories.  Let us know more!

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Fey! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 07:15
From what I see above about the fuel consumption in the 523, get one of them instead of a 520 - I get about 400 miles to my €80 (if I'm lucky.  Get 30.7mpg on long runs, and anywhere from 18-22  mpg in town - most of my driving is start/stop short run town driving.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 07:21

Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

Get 30.7mpg on long runs, and anywhere from 18-22  mpg in town - most of my driving is start/stop short run town driving.

My figure of 34 has been the average over the last 6-7000 miles.  My best trip figure was close to 37 on an uninterrupted (by plod, plonkers, traffic, etc.) run to Donegal and back.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Jumbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 09:26

I am the same as Fey my E39 520 gets me about 400 miles for €80 also. I just wish I had of waited and got a 523i instead, mine is way underpowered.

Just a tip which I did and it worked out well. I rang Jd's and asked them where they send the cars that they won't sell themselves i/e trade ins from 01 or older. They happened to have one that they would sell me as they thought it was perfect and were prepared to stand over it. It was a 1997 520i and this was in 2004.

They did the full BM check,  fixed anything that was wrong i.e new clutch and hand brake and gave me 12 month full BMW warranty.

It might be worth ringing a BM dealer, it work well for me.

Brian...
Rosso View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 10:45

Thanks for the offer Kbannon. Another question..how fussy should I be about the mileage on the cars? I mean, my friends just cringe when I mention anything above 80k miles. Are cars with 100k in them worth buying ?

I am based in Dublin, City center. and thanks for the website, Fay.

My budget is about 12k. That should be enough for a decent car right? Ideally I would like mine to be automatic, with 17" alloys. Leather interior would be a bonus !

Also, is it safe/worth buying privately, instead buying it from a garage?

Thanks for your replies guys !

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 10:54
I paid about 14 for a 97 model, full leather, manual, etc.
I bought it from a small garage in Stillorgan and got 3 months. It had however recently gotten an inspection II from a local dealer (who did all its servicing). During that 3 month warranty period, I made sure to get a compression test done on it so that I had some comeback on the seller.
If you buy privately then you have no comeback at all - caveat emptor. However, a private sale will work out less.

I would put in the effort and look around. There are many good examples with high and low mileage. There are more poor examples though.

Mileage shouldn't be much of an issue though if it has been well serviced. However, the general feeling I have seen here is that by about 8 years old the cat can begin to go which is costly.
1997 E39 523i
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 10:59
DONT get an auto if you can avoid it (especially avoid the early tiptronics). The manual is a much more engaging drive. Also, bimmer auto boxes are ridiculously expensive to fix if they go wrong.

In my (limited) experience of buying cars the garages warranty is a mixed bag. sometimes you really need it and its a god-send (fey!), most times youre paying a premium for it; alltimes you will have to fight hard to get them to honour it.
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
Fey! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 11:38

Give Richie a PM - I know he had a fabulas '99 728 for sale for very right money, and one of the lads who came to the Antrim meet deals in BMW's.

Rosso View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 11:50

hehe. a 728 ? dont think i have the $$$, but tempting enough though.

Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 11:53
728i is gone Dave...have to get another one now!!
Richie

Fey! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 11:54

Russo - it wasn't too much above your budget, was auto, leather, and the full toy dept!

Richie - what's next???

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 12:06

Mileage is less important than condition and history.  I bought mine in early '03 with 44k and full BMW history.  I've added over 50k since then.  Mechanically they car shows no noticable signs of wear and tear (bar stone chips).  The car drives just about as well as the day I bought it.

If you look at higher mileage cars, then you need to check the more obvious, mileage related, stuff like clutch, shock absorbers, ball joint wear, etc.  One thing to watch for on a car with over 80k is the cat.  They seem to start making a bit of noise around about this stage.  Myself and one or two others on here have replaced them around about that mileage.  If the exhaust is noisy or rattling, think cat, not back box.  Watch also that all the pixels on the dash display work.  Disappearing pixels is a fairly common issue and expensive to put right.

If you do a search of the 5 series section you'll find a lot more specific information about what to look for (I've contributed to a few of those, if you search for my handle as a start), but I can heartily recommend an e39 5.  I've never kept a car as long as the 523i and I still can't think of a reason to change it (other than appreciating a little more power from time to time!).  There really isn't a better car for mile munching, in my opinion.

The key thing to check is the build date (on a plaque on the offside inner wing under the bonnet).  For the sort of money you are budgeting, you should be able pick up a post nikasil car and remove that worry. 

Generally, you get what you pay for too.  In my experience, if a car is cheap, there is usually a good reason.  Buy based on what you can see (i.e. with head, not heart).  Warranties are a bit hit and miss, depends too much on the mood of the dealer or small print, so put the time in to finding the genuine example out there rather than expecting the warranty to deal with anything you missed in the test drive.  If there is the faintest whiff of something not right, vote with your feet.  There are plenty of cars available here (or in the UK, all but one of my BMW's have come from there) so there'll be another along in a few minutes. 

I'd also suggest looking at a few before you go searching for "the one".  Mark them one against the other so that when you do go looking for real, you'll have an idea of what's right and not.

Edited by Dergside

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Richie View Drop Down

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 12:07
Another 728i me thinks. Have my eye on one or two.
Richie

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 12:30
Originally posted by Rosso Rosso wrote:

I am based in Dublin, City center.

Im beside the Jervis if you want to come and see mine and I can show you what to look for, etc.
1997 E39 523i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic