FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSpeeding Saga

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speeding Saga
    Posted: 19-October-2005 at 17:41
I'm not sure if i mentioned this at the time, but i am now. On 18 January i was clocked at 70 in a 50 on the m8 to a720 ediburgh bypass dual carriageway by a mobile camera. I did not get the ticket until 2 months later as it went to the previous owner and the garage.

i went to this site pepipoo and took advice. I waited 28 days and returned the form unsigned. a month later i received it back asking to have it signed. i did not return it. i received another and sent it back unsigned. I was told that they have 6 months to get me to court otherwise the ticket becomes invalid.

Details of the time scales

Your NIP took substantially longer than 14 days to reach you due to the convoluted nature of the route it took. It's dated 17/3/05, and you had 28 days to respond; taking you to 14/4/05. Add six months to that and you're looking at 14/10/05 to get you into the dock for a pleading diet.

This is the comment from one of the forum moderators: -
You're off the hook! It's timed-out.

Well i have not been summonds and this means i have not be prosecuted. I hope this thread is not the kiss of death but some advice.

Just thought i would share this for those who may receive an NIP in the post. I believe you can do the same with tickets handed to you as well.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Sponsored Links

m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2005 at 07:26

Well done Toby, the following sequence of events has happened to me twice.  It's disappointing to think that the system appears to fail and some offenders may be getting away with speeding.

Somebody passes a camera going a bit too fast. The car in question is registered in wife's name.

She gets form asking who was driving.  She forgets to reply in time.

She gets a reminder and at the last minute says it was me.

A few weeks later, I get the same form and forget to reply in time.  I get a reminder and don't get round to replying to it.

Neither of us hear any more.

1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2005 at 08:39
Howdy boyd not heard from you in ages.

Apparently you have 28 days from date on NIP to reply. they recommend take the full 28 days and rteturtn special delivery unsigned. The 6 months to get one into court starts from the date they get the form back. If you have not heard anything after 6 months then they are unable to get you to court.
Toby

SilverSaloon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2005 at 10:17
Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

Howdy boyd not heard from you in ages.

Apparently you have 28 days from date on NIP to reply. they recommend take the full 28 days and rteturtn special delivery unsigned. The 6 months to get one into court starts from the date they get the form back. If you have not heard anything after 6 months then they are unable to get you to court.

wow.... i thought that the 'unsigned trick'  no longer worked.

2003 BMW 735i

Fully loaded with almost all extras

Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2005 at 10:34
I wasnt brave enough to go through that route when I got mine and wasnt really sure if it was true! I signed the form and enveloped it all up....only for my rucksack to get stolen off the train...panic set in, but managed to get a new picture licence and it all sent off before the 28 days was over.

Since then I have been lucky not to have received an NIP because I became a sales rep soon after the last incident and I am now doing many more miles....in a Zafira!

I dont ever want an NIP again because it destroyed a 22yr clean licence which was still a paper one! and I pay enough taxes as it is.

Incidentally, I heard that only a police officer can target you using a mobile or scamera van because sufficient cause or suspicion of speed must identified before being targeted and only a police officer is trained! Anyone else read or heard about this!
Phil
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2005 at 14:14

Originally posted by Nostrils Nostrils wrote:

Incidentally, I heard that only a police officer can target you using a mobile or scamera van because sufficient cause or suspicion of speed must identified before being targeted and only a police officer is trained! Anyone else read or heard about this!

Not true I'm afraid as i spoke to an "operator" at a car show & he was a "civie "

Del64 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Double 6 driver

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2005 at 08:26
Anyone know if the "When did you last calibrate the equipment" and "can I see the log for it please" questions still work on vascar stops?
2009 520d SE Business Edition

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2005 at 09:38

Del 64 - From a previous thread - hope this answers your question

Originally posted by Daz Daz wrote:

that website http://www.nescamp.co.uk/ tells you where they will be in our area.  you probobly knew that though.

I notice that on the nescamp website, they have also published the calibration certificates for the cameras - so you won't be able to use that excuse.

Del64 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Double 6 driver

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2005 at 11:58
Ahhhh -----Bu***r!
2009 520d SE Business Edition

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2005 at 12:19

Just to clarify the position on Scamera vans, in England & Wales, and pictures showing you using your mobile phone, eating, drinking, sticking two fingers up to the camera etc etc, are passed to the police for processing when downloaded.

The police, not the scamera partnership issue the nip, it makes no difference if you were speeding or not, as they are offences in their own right.

Most talivans are real time video, so record all the time, a mark is placed on the recording media if you are speeding ( automatically), and by hand by the operator if he spots another offence, he doesn't need to be a qualified police officer, as the picture is the evidence.

I hope that helps

Best Wishes

Nigel

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2005 at 14:38
Nigel

You mention drinking (soft drinks) and eating. Why then is smoking not fround upon? I think this is more dangerous then eating and drinking. If you drop a cig in a car concentration goes right out the window!

Toby

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic