Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReplacement Air Filter Element For 318iS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Air Filter Element For 318iS
    Posted: 24-June-2003 at 10:51

Hi,

I have recently bought a 318iS 1990 and am looking at chagning the Air Filter. I have read that it is better to just change the Element but not to bother with a full induction kit as that could reduce power rather than increase. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are with regards to this so as I know I am buying the correct piece of kit.

Thanks,

Steve.

Sponsored Links

Omi318is View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2003 at 11:12

Have also heard that a few surreptitious holes in the airbox (before the filter) can have a good effect... - Your views on this too please folks?

If you're thinking about a few sensible performance mods for your iS, please feel free to email me, as I'm going along the same route and we could compare ideas and opinions... All the best m8.

Omi

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2003 at 11:22

I stand to be corrected but I guess that if you drilled some holes in the airbox you run the risk of inviting warm air into the filter and would therefore need to use some kind of heatshield, similar to what you would need with an induction kit.

I have a K&N panel filter on my 320i and it seems to works fine, some increase in noise but no noticable difference in power.

There is a few articles on filters on BEN (http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=articles&report=articles&Section=03).
Also look at b318isp's site and specifically http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/318ismods.html#airfilters

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
318iS1990 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2003 at 11:54

Hi Omi,

I have only just bought the 318 so am a little bit short of funds at the moment so that's why I am going for the cheaper mods for now. I have been looking at the Cotton Green replacement panel filters and they look the best bet for the 318iS as no one actually lists that they provide an induction kit as I am 99% sure that you can't fit them on these cars. If I am wrong then I stand to be corrected

Also I am just about to replace the exhaust system as I have a really bad blow on my back box but am not sure whether to just replace the back box with a stainless or to go from the cat back. Have you changed anything with regards to your exhaust system?

Kbannon,

Thanks for the useful links I think I have made my mind up that a panel filter would be the best option. I am not really overly bothered in power gain yet as I want to get as many engine mods done before I go for a chip so as the chip can work in line with the other mods. The power given by the 318iS engine is very good anyway as any other 318iS owner would agree but there is always room for improvement!

Thanks,

Steve.

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2003 at 14:22

The airbox is common to the M40 engined cars - just specify a round intake (as opposed to square). General consensus for near-to-stock engines is that a panel filter gives something (maybe 0.5-1.5 bhp at high rpm) and a properly ducted and sheilded induction kit might give 1-2 bhp also at high revs.

The main benefit is the induction noise!

I went the panel route on my 318is as it was cheap, easy and had most of the benefits of the induction kit. Anyway, the air route into the AFM on the M42, I think, is quite straight.

318iS1990 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2003 at 15:22

Yeah that's what I thought about the filters. Looks like a phone call to Green is on the cards then as I prefer the cotton filters as they are easier to clean and also to spot how much dirt is on them! As I mentioned before it isn't the power gain but just the lovely noise it makes and if I can get that from just a panel filter I will be v.happy

Just wondering if you have done any exhaust mods to yours as I am not sure what is going to look best, twin oval, single oval 3", 3.5", 4" etc........

Cheers,

Steve.

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2003 at 16:22

I like the 90x70mm oval from Supersprint. I don't like big bore fart boxes.

The problem for the 318is is that there is a limited choice as the system is unique.

Powerflow could probably make up exactly what you want though.

318iS1990 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2003 at 16:53

Yeah I noticed that when looking at a few websites like Magnex, Janspeed etc.. they only do the full systems if anything . Looks like I will have to go to my friends at BMC Motorsport here in Birmingham as they make custom boxes for a little extra. Hopefully get it fitted on Friday so will finally get some pics up. 

Another thing I have found (Sorry for all the questions) is that there is a kinda tappet sort of noise coming from the engine, not very loud but noticable. Is there anyway I can get rid of this as it makes the car look/sound old?

Cheers,

Steve.

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2003 at 09:57
This is normal. Try changing the timing chain tensioner (cheap, quick DIY) to see if it helps. Otherwise its probably tappet noise.
318iS1990 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2003 at 10:28
Thanks b318isp!
Omi318is View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2003 at 13:04
Just ordered myself on of those Green items... Bring on the induction noise!
318iS1990 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2003 at 14:00

Omi,

I am looking at changing my exhaust first before the Green panel filter so if you could let us know what its like once you have fitted yours I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Steve.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic