Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSUPERCHARGED 325i???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUPERCHARGED 325i???
    Posted: 27-October-2005 at 04:26
Dose anyone know or has any1 ever supercharged an e36,325i m50 engine? what are the benifits,downfalls?? Would really appricate any help i can get. THANX
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 04:38
Haven't seen one myself but have a look at these:-
http://www.concentric.net/~Dlai/
http://www.tum.net/bikesh/bmw/

Something which sounds rather dubious...

I would imaging that one major drawback is that your engines life will be reduced.
Also presumably your brakes/suspension would need to be uprated, as would your insurance policy.

Edited by kbannon
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 05:04
Infinitas in Germany do a quality setup, and a full 3 years warranty if fitted by themselves. They give a 1 year warranty if you look after fitting yourself.

www.infinitas-gmbh.de

Am half considering it for my 328ci... the E36 kit isn't cheap though
mikerd4 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 05:09

Ask ludo he can get the hiop supercharger.  As long as you are not running silly poweer there shouldnt be any adverse effects on your engine.

Ive toyed with the idea but for the costs I could get an M3! So its a no go really. Havent a clue where you would sit insurance wise once you bolt one on, Im sure mr insurance man would be happy to look after you especially down here in the republic!

All about the sounds:-
Source:-Alpine 9833R Comps:-Phoenix Gold Ti6 Elites, Sub:- 2 x Focal Polyglass V2, Amps:- Arc Audio XK4150 & Soundstream Van Gogh All in a custom boot build
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 05:10
@Killian - that 3rd one is a con! akin to the crowd on ebay suggesting you remove your air flow (mass?) meter and fit a resistor!!!

Anyhow M3AOR - why supercharging? Why not turbo? I've been seriously researching turboing an early e36 325i.

Some of my thoughts:
The supercharging route seems like a shopping list of problems and pitfalls - FOR LESS POWER!
A supercharger CAN provide turbo-like boosts but only at high RPM; as the boost is a function of rpm i.e. boost increases as you rev. Which means you have little if any low down power improvement, it may actually be worse as its using your engines torque to spin the compressor. Thats where a turbo hammers the supercharger - it uses your exhaust gasses to spin the compressor at much higher speeds MUCH sooner - so you have more boost (all of it if you like) at very low revs. Plus installation etc. seems alot easier.

What were you hoping for power-wise? Whats your budget?

Paul
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 05:39

Supercharger is much BETTER than turbo for street application, I would have to disagree strongly with you paul.

Supercharger increase the HP as soon as you press the gas, The turbo will need to be in it's rev range, usually above 4000rpm. The only way to have the same performance at low revs with a turbo is by having a two stage turbo, one for the low end to mid range and one for mid to high.

Also, install of a good supercharger kit is much much easier than a turbo kit. The cost is also a good bit less and tuning lot easier.

As for performance, Hiop Racetec supercharger get other 75% of it max torq as low as 2500rpm while a turbo is no yet providing any boost. Turbo is great for dyno performance and track, for the road a supercharger is a much better solution, unless you go for a twin turbo setup.

There is within the supercharger family different type of compressor, most common are the centrifugal which in certain aspect behave like Paul describe it (max power @ max torq) but the new generation of twin screw supercharger is much more efficient. For exemple the intake temperature will be 90șC less than a centrifugal which means (the higher the tempreature the less o2 you have so the less HP you get) that you get more HP with lower boost, therefore increasing the engine life. The main advantage of the twin screw is that while it still give it's max HP at high revs, the gains are all other the range. The engine will still feel like it was before, just with a few BHPs extra 

It really depends on what you want to achive: if you want something driveable, easy to install then supercharger is IMO the way to go, but if you want big numbers and drag racing/track performance, Turbo is the way to go.

Edited by ludo
T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 05:53

In my opinion.....

Benefits: Superchargers give near-instant throttle response, where turbos give lag (as you put your foot down, this speeds the engine up, which produces more exhaust gas, which spins the turbo more etc etc).

My understanding is that the supercharger gives better low down response too due to less lag. That is why alot of systems have twin sequential turbos: one for low end that gets combined and eventually bled off as the 2nd unit comes on stream ... aka BMW 535D, which is the 530D engine, but with twin turbos, optimised for lower and higher revs . Ditto the new Golf GT (1.4 super & turbocharged - 160bhp and similar torque). toyota Soarers have twin turbos with ceramic turbines for less inertia so they spool up quicker. They can take less boost ultimately though, so as you up power, you need to change them for steel impellers.

As you say llatsni, more revs = more power, but that stands for either method and that'll also cause the engine to go 'boom', which is why there are dump valves and fuel cut defenders in forced induction cars to cap boost @ a maximum level. Some people up the blow-off point for bigger power, but this shortens engine life.

Superchargers can be a cleaner install, depending on what ancillary works are going into the turbo'd car such as intercoolers.

Drawbacks: There are BIG mechanical losses with a supercharger. Turbos run 'for free' to an extent. Superchargers are mechanically driven as llatsni mentioned, so the engine must produce more power to run the supercharger first, and then what ever excess goes to the wheels. For example, the Jag S-TypeR has a 4.0L engine with supercharger, producing circa 400bhp (their normally aspirated engine produces circa 340bhp). The TypeR has to produce an extra 70bhp to overcome the mechanical losses! That's a huge figure, & I believe the supercharged AMG engines only lose 30-40bhp to the 'charger.

At the end of the day, I think one of the big deciders would be how you like your power. they have very different characteristics. If you like that turbo bang and the wastegate whistling, fit a turbo! S'chargers drive more like an NA car, and have better throttle response & modulation which can come in handy if you'd be into your drifting etc..

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 05:54
@Ludo: I hear what you are saying about the new gen chargers but I still feel the best bang (not literally hopefully) for buck is the turbo. Most modern turbos matched CORRECTLY (bigger isnt always better) to your application (engine / power needs) are capable of safe high boost at as little as 2-2.5krpm [when have you ludo EVER driven below 3krpm!!!] and provide more boost in the 3-5krpm range than ANY supercharger is capable of safely. But yes I'm probably thinking on the side of track use as I dont get the whole outright-speed-for-the-sake-of-it buzz - and in fairness any forced induction will change the driving characteristics of your car.
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 06:01
@TJ: well said, chargers will sap engine power which will need to be overcome to see similar gains to a turbo... in contrast ANY mods to the N/A engine (porting & polishing, BB throttle bodies etc. etc.) will be reflected (and highlighted if done well) in the turbo'd engine - but you'd be doing them just to compensate for a charger!!!
ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 06:06
Originally posted by T.J. T.J. wrote:

Drawbacks: There are BIG mechanical losses with a supercharger. Turbos run 'for free' to an extent. Superchargers are mechanically driven as llatsni mentioned, so the engine must produce more power to run the supercharger first, and then what ever excess goes to the wheels. For example, the Jag S-TypeR has a 4.0L engine with supercharger, producing circa 400bhp (their normally aspirated engine produces circa 340bhp). The TypeR has to produce an extra 70bhp to overcome the mechanical losses! That's a huge figure, & I believe the supercharged AMG engines only lose 30-40bhp to the 'charger.

that's true for "mass" produced car because the compressor they are using are pretty "cheap" and not very efficient.

Hiop E46 330i supercharged dyno @ 335bhp @7psi of boost.

As said before it's all down to what you want in terms of expected power gains and engine behaviour.

Edited by ludo
T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 06:11

I did try to provide figures where I could, & AMG are known for low losses and quality kit. 30-40bhp loss on what is a 470bhp engine isn't too bad. And Audi need twin turbos etc to produce similar driving characteristics in the RS6.

Personally, I think I'd err toward supercharging for simplicity and the engine characteristics, partic on track as being able to fine tune lines with the throttle is what I like doing and tis harder when turbo'd. There's a bigger hit to be taken at the pumps, but if you're retro fitting stuff for big power, I don't think it figures high on the list of concerns.

Keep us updated on how you get on, M3AOR

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 06:16

Actually, personally I'd explore the NA route first, as while it makes the car a bit peakier in its delivery, you are retaining lightness and simplicity, and I'm a big exponent of light-weight.

Was out in a maroon 4dr E36 325i with Giles of Branded Untouchable @ Silverstone BMW BDD. Lightened car, shrick cam, free flow exhaust, 15" wheels, decent discs, pads, hoses and fluid, coilovers, and camber plates on the front. It was lapping with most cars, lost around 12mph on the back straight (123mph), and matched the M3CSLs on cup tyres through the bends. It was an absolute giant slayer, and a great showcase for the lads work. So give them a shout: Giles on 01246 204669. They have a website too. Tell em the irish bloke who blagged a passenger ride with him near the end of the day sent ya!

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

enda View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 07:02
just a point on the resistor it does work gave my 316i a good power in the midrange only down fall is car would tick over great
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 07:12
Originally posted by enda enda wrote:

just a point on the resistor it does work gave my 316i a good power in the midrange only down fall is car would tick over great

you cant possibly be serious???
ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 07:13
Originally posted by T.J. T.J. wrote:

Actually, personally I'd explore the NA route first, as while it makes the car a bit peakier in its delivery, you are retaining lightness and simplicity, and I'm a big exponent of light-weight.

Was out in a maroon 4dr E36 325i with Giles of Branded Untouchable @ Silverstone BMW BDD. Lightened car, shrick cam, free flow exhaust, 15" wheels, decent discs, pads, hoses and fluid, coilovers, and camber plates on the front. It was lapping with most cars, lost around 12mph on the back straight (123mph), and matched the M3CSLs on cup tyres through the bends. It was an absolute giant slayer, and a great showcase for the lads work. So give them a shout: Giles on 01246 204669. They have a website too. Tell em the irish bloke who blagged a passenger ride with him near the end of the day sent ya!

I am myself really thinking on fitting a kit on my car (and trust me even as a reseller it's still a very expensive mod ). At the moment I am trying to get a GB going on various forums (e36coupe amoungst them) and if it goes ahead I think I'll take advange of it myself.

I was really thinking of going for a mad NA modded car but I don't think I want to live on a daily basis with a very peaky engine. For a bit more money, the SC gives you performance and great everyday driveability.

enda View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 07:55
im am without it the car sounds dead has a little missfire as wel and if i remove it da car loses that little bit extra
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 08:02
@enda - have you removed the air flow meter? if so you WILL wreck your engine. If your car is misfiring without the resistor then there is something wrong and you should get it sorted, the resistor is only masking a problem (and damaging your engine)
enda View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 08:06
no hav the air flow meter in place as wel the misfire is only when coming down off high revs

mikerd4 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 08:09

paul- Ive never heard of turbo'd cars being powerful from low revs! unless you have a small turbine or dual turbos (onme set small to spin up quickly) there will always be lag. Superchargers come in instantaneously but dont give as much as a turbo granted.  Thats why Audi used a supercharged turbo rally car (ie supercharger for low down rpm till the turbo kicked in)

Having seen supercharged vr6's (corados,golf,polos, golf vans etc) in various states of tune on the 1/4 mile there is nothing in real world they cant do compared with a turbo, unless you want to blast away past speed limits etc

All about the sounds:-
Source:-Alpine 9833R Comps:-Phoenix Gold Ti6 Elites, Sub:- 2 x Focal Polyglass V2, Amps:- Arc Audio XK4150 & Soundstream Van Gogh All in a custom boot build
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 08:26
the most sensible article I've seen on all this:
bmw turbo

granted they're selling turbos, but its still stands up to the fairly objective research I've done.

In the end of the day I think it comes down to this:
1. If you want to realise the maximum power potential of your engine you turbocharge
2. If you want to retain the naturally aspirated drive-feel of your engine, but with a performance increase, you supercharge

You need to decide how much power you want and how much money you have.
>> i.e. if you have an m50 325i and you want 400bhp a turbo will be WAY cheaper than a supercharger.
If you only want 280bhp then they are probably on par, but you would be spending a guber load of money on 100 horses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic