Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedScamera poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Poll Question: Are scameras good for road safety ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.00%]
4 [8.00%]
44 [88.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scamera poll
    Posted: 11-November-2005 at 12:58

On another forum, a very likeable, helpful, and well respected Police officer ( Police advanced driving trainer) thinks I'm out of touch with the publics feelings on scamera partnerships and their activities.

He assures me that they have wide public support, and everyone loves the Police !

He won't post on here, but will look at things when I point him to them.

I may indeed be out of touch, so come on, either let him, or me have it, within forum guidelines of course.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 13:06

The latest thread where I'm out of touch and in a minority

http://www.traffic-answers.com/forum/index.php?topic=2474.0

Best Wishes

Nigel

Bryce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 13:17
Nigel,

Can you put a "They are ok but sometimes I disagree with the location"?  Otherwise I will probably choose the "ok" option and be shot for it!
Bryce,
Volvo FL614/Saxon (1996)(HFRS).
BMW 525i SE touring (1992)
Kawasaki ZX6R F1 (1995)
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 13:23

Originally posted by Bryce Bryce wrote:

Nigel,

Can you put a "They are ok but sometimes I disagree with the location"?  Otherwise I will probably choose the "ok" option and be shot for it!

I should be able to, but can't work it out.......K, where fore art thou ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 14:09
Speed (S)cameras are only there to make money - they are put in stupid locations and can cause accidents by people braking suddenly when they see them. They don't capture dangerous driving which is a far worse menace on the road then safely driving at an appropriate speed (conditions permitting)

Also, did you know that the braking distances in the highway code are based on a Ford Anglia which didn't have discs or seatbelts?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 18:17

Grampian has the most speed cameras from aberdeen to dundee than nearly any other part of scotland you would think of another way to promote road saftey and speed awarness.

like others have said when people see them they slam on there anchors whether it be in the outside or inside lane with out thinking who or what is behind them

most speed cameras in our area are set at 84mph give to me from a very good source my bro in law who works for a certin police force not to far away from stonehaven

If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
simons5 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 18:46
I have loads of respect for the police, they don't have any thing to do with the cammeras and probably hate the cameras as much as we do.

simon
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 19:19

Originally posted by simons5 simons5 wrote:

I have loads of respect for the police, they don't have any thing to do with the cammeras and probably hate the cameras as much as we do.

simon

Some do, some don't.

Were talking about the possibility of speed limiters here http://www.traffic-answers.com/forum/index.php?topic=2483.ne w#new

Best Wishes

Nigel

billgates e30 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 19:53
in Durham County there are no fixed camera sites

and only one or two mobile units that are placed in proven accident blackspots, info of these sites are availble to the public.

And they have the lowest record of RTA's in the country

coincidence i think not
Bill Gates aka Chris

BMW Club NE
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 20:19

there you go Nigel another vote to prove to your mate that you are right

I hate them ( 160 this year & 9 points  ) all with the "sneaky" cam out the back of the van , or the " van on the bridge " ploy

all on good clear days ????????

What they don't seam to value is that they are messing with peoples livelihoods , i for one have been told " you loose your license just pack your tools & go !!!"

Go on, some smart Alec tell me " if you didn't do over the speed limit you would have a clean license"

True

But I don't smoke, rarely drink , i don't nick from folks houses,I've never murdered anyone & in general am a law abiding person, my enjoyment is driving my car & feel that we are just an easy target for a quick buck.

Nigel had a look on the link to the site you gave us . V- interesting site & by golly a very opinionated "Traffic officer " ( you know the bloke the one with the Police Range Rover in his sig ) that in my opinion is exactly the way that most folks see a "traffic police man "

A MAN WITH NO MANORS !!!

( JUST MY OPINION , OR IS IT ??????  )

Goldryder View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 06:52
Sorry but they are required in certain areas as there are Richard Craniums who drive like an idiot for the sheer hell of it in a selfish and irresponsible way. Without camera evidence, including the ones on motorway bridges that film tailgating and not just speed...you know, those cameras on gantries, they run on sensors and photograph you if you are tailgating the car infront.

Until 100% of drivers learn to drive properly and be respectful to others on the roads...such as pedestrians, horses etc..then cameras and any other form of enforcement is a neccessary evil.
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 07:22

Nigel, perhaps your PO friend needs to get out more often and read less of the brainwash sent out by the Bliar politbureau.Such is the lie,s and distortion of stats now used in this country when Road safety is being discussed, that the voting population does not believe Anything given as so called fact.

He is well aware of how the stats are managed to prove anything , from KSI numbers on a road which allow a Scam to be installed( including the suicide jumping off the overhead bridge) to putting stats under different headings , to show reduction in KSI.Safety partnerships which include Police and magistrates, have lost any respect that the motorist once held.

Were the so called surveys asking for drivers opinion on Scameras, phased in the usual way?? " Do you think we need More Scameras outside schools, to stop the thousands of children Killed every year" then no doubt a majority would say yes.

Strange isnt it--no mention in the Slime spewed out from Bliars people , of the 68 children Killed last year Inside cars---Scameras wouldnt help--Seatbelts used Would!!!!! but no publicity for this-Why??.

SAFETYFAST
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 08:00

[QUOTE=Goldryder]Sorry but they are required in certain areas as there are Richard Craniums who drive like an idiot for the sheer hell of it in a selfish and irresponsible way. Without camera evidence, including the ones on motorway bridges that film tailgating and not just speed...you know, those cameras on gantries, they run on sensors and photograph you if you are tailgating the car infront.

Until 100% of drivers learn to drive properly and be respectful to others on the roads...such as pedestrians, horses etc..then cameras and any other form of enforcement is a neccessary evil.

What are you talking about ??????????

When was the last time you read that a tailgater had been given points due to the photo taken by a fixed Scam???. Or the selfish middle/outside lane idiot given points Or the Drugged/drunk driver caught on Scam--Tell Me , WHEN??.There is NO ,s in such an idea--you cannot send out automatic fines--you need trafPol and as WE all know they have been made redundant.

Scameras dont Train Road users, but professionals working to a well thought out programme and updated content could do---except we have not had any practical Road transport aware Govt in this country, since the Romans.Respect by drivers has to be earn't by the system providers who are working for their benifits---Not the opposite like todays parasites.  

SAFETYFAST
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 10:03

Just to clear a few things up, should any of you venture onto that site ( which I hope you will).

They need to use silly names because they are policemen, and people behave badly towards familys of policmen sometimes ( but I imagine you know that).

They are there volunterily, in their own time, to help people who have already fallen foul of the law, to promote advanced driving, and lastly to have a good old chin wag about driving.

Safety1st : This chap is a serving traffic policeman, ex army, general good old boy, loves driving ( has a nice powerful car of his own ), he works in his own time for a driving school of types, also as a senior observer for the IAM, and an examiner for ROSPA. Remember his job, he can't be seen to say I think its ok to drive on a deserted road at 100 mph.

Vonhossen : This chap is a serving police officer, and is a police advanced trainer. I find he takes a much sterner ( almost judge dredd) stance on the law, and in my view he isn't interested in the "fun" side of driving, as he works and lives in London, he probably gets less chance than the rest of us.

There are other police officers on there, doing all sorts of jobs ( same as here, but most of you don't know who they are!)

Please if you go over there and post, be polite to everyone, there isn't much to be gained from being otherwise, subjects like PC Mark Milton have been discussed at length, and if you look back through the posts, the lads took a lot of stick.

There are people from all sorts of backgrounds, which is what makes it so interesting.

Should you decide to look around you will find all sorts of interesting stuff on there, some you may agree with , some you won't, you can get involved in some discusiions ( like the speed limiter one I've been having with Von http://www.traffic-answers.com/forum/index.php?topic=2483.ne w#new ), where there is little hope of either of us agreeing, but its still useful info.

Best Wishes

Nigel

sharon.... View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 12:02

im all for more in built up areas

limits are there for a reson and its not too p us off.

so its simple really

DONT SPEED

look....cut the cr4p and show us ya willy
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 13:45

Your reasoning used to be true Sharon, not any more.

There are lots of speed limits about just because people can't maintain their basic dsa standard test pass level.

Limits are largely there as some people want the road to be a playground for children, rather than a piece of tarmac for vehicles to travel along.

Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 15:27
Hi

Newbie here with a first post so please be gentle, particularly as it looks like I might be a bit of a minority voice.

I am really struggling to see how cameras are about making money , which seems to be the concensus view.

If you want to make money from motorists surely slipping half a penny extra on a litre of fuel would be far easier, less aggravation, less polarising for the government & be guaranteed to raise far more money.

With cameras there is no control over how much money you can raise, infact no guarantee of raising any at all (especially if nobody is speeding).

They are painted yellow (not good if you want to hide them & make money).
They have them listed on websites & where they are situated (not a good move if you want to make money)
You can legally use GPS warning devices that warn you of their location (not a good move if you want to raise money)

If you also look at what happens with tickets you get both a small fine & points. In giving points you are moving people towards disqualification. You are effectively getting a customer base & then banning them from being customers (not a good move for any business that wants to make money). Surely if it's about money they would make it no points & bigger fine wouldn't they ?

What appears to have been lost here is that speeding is an offence & don't we expect that people who commit offences should be punished? I know someone will say that there are more serious offences & that's true there are, but surely that just deflects from the fact that speeding is still an offence & should be punished as the law has been broken.

With regards to the speed limiter topic on the link that Nigel mentioned, surely if they are talking about speed limiters that will completely remove any chance of getting money from speeders on camera. Why invest all that money in cameras to catch speeders & then make them put adevice in the vehicle that stops them speeding if you want to make money ?
 Doesn't that show that it is about reducing speeding ?

If it is about revenue & we hate it, why do we supply them with it by speeding ?

Edited by livvy
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 16:37
I have to admit I am pretty anti speed camera because they are a gut reaction to the problem of death and injury on our roads. I also admit I exceed the speed limit quite often when the road and conditions suit, but I do not believe speeding makes someone a bad driver. However we have become a 'blame it all on speed' society when in fact there are lots of different things that cause accidents. We have all forgotten that the simplist of things can result in an accident. For example how many people jump in the car on a frosty or misty morning and drive off without clearing ALL their windows off properly so they have clear vision. 18 years ago, my then 16 year old younger brother was killed by a driver who could not see him thru his misted windows. He was not speeding but he was guilty of being a negligent driver thru not taking a minute to wipe off his windows. There is a place for speed cameras but we need the Road Traffic Police on the roads in much greater numbers to remove the bad drivers from the roads and drivers need better education in being aware of what is going on around them. Accidents are caused by lapses in concentration and distractions. If people concentrate on their driving and not what's on the stereo, whose on the mobile, reading the satnav screen, admiring the view etc etc etc then they are unlikely to have accidents.
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 16:44
Originally posted by billgates e30 billgates e30 wrote:

in Durham County there are no fixed camera sites

and only one or two mobile units that are placed in proven accident blackspots, info of these sites are availble to the public.

And they have the lowest record of RTA's in the country

coincidence i think not

you are 100% correct m8

brunstum i think thats his name says a speeder is the same as a mugger , burgaler, rapist, child abuse, etc etc etc, ok so if that is correct is doing 31mph in a 30 or 75mph on a motorway speeding , and i then should be put in prison for it yes ?
so how many times does any of the above not hurt people , if i mug someone they are hurt , same as the other offences, but if i speed in the middle of nowhere on my own on a empty road who did i hurt ? but if i am caught by a speed camera i am still classed as a criminal.
dangerous driving does not nesseserily involve speed, driving with undue care and attention doesnt either, nor does drunk driving , driving while tired, using a mobile phone ,putting lipstick on or shaving while driving but all these acts can still kill a child under 30mph.
i have posted this before only around 17% of accidents are directly linked to speeding or unapropriot speed.
this is from several different souces including the government and indipendents.

thats 83% from other causes , if 83% of people getting mugged ,murded , etc etc was happening you would not be able to even leave your house let alone drive your car.
so why are these causes not sorted out is they dont create money in policing them.

the police can see every factor in a persons driving ,if they deem them to be unsafe or dangerous they are stopped or radioed in for a plate check , computers dont replace humans regardless of what they do so having a computer limit what we do is crazy. having a computer in control of human insticts for speed ,control etc is bound to end in tears.

i am sorry for the long post and the spelling but i am tired mentaly of this stupid single minded attitude people have.
ive had enough .

Edited by skull
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 16:59
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Hi

Newbie here with a first post so please be gentle, particularly as it looks like I might be a bit of a minority voice.

I am really struggling to see how cameras are about making money , which seems to be the concensus view.

If you want to make money from motorists surely slipping half a penny extra on a litre of fuel would be far easier, less aggravation, less polarising for the government & be guaranteed to raise far more money.

With cameras there is no control over how much money you can raise, infact no guarantee of raising any at all (especially if nobody is speeding).

They are painted yellow (not good if you want to hide them & make money).
They have them listed on websites & where they are situated (not a good move if you want to make money)
You can legally use GPS warning devices that warn you of their location (not a good move if you want to raise money)

If you also look at what happens with tickets you get both a small fine & points. In giving points you are moving people towards disqualification. You are effectively getting a customer base & then banning them from being customers (not a good move for any business that wants to make money). Surely if it's about money they would make it no points & bigger fine wouldn't they ?

What appears to have been lost here is that speeding is an offence & don't we expect that people who commit offences should be punished? I know someone will say that there are more serious offences & that's true there are, but surely that just deflects from the fact that speeding is still an offence & should be punished as the law has been broken.

With regards to the speed limiter topic on the link that Nigel mentioned, surely if they are talking about speed limiters that will completely remove any chance of getting money from speeders on camera. Why invest all that money in cameras to catch speeders & then make them put adevice in the vehicle that stops them speeding if you want to make money ?
 Doesn't that show that it is about reducing speeding ?

If it is about revenue & we hate it, why do we supply them with it by speeding ?

You are the Reverend A. J. Blair, and I claim my 5.
Ciao,
Spokey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
  Share Topic