Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedScamera poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>
Poll Question: Are scameras good for road safety ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.00%]
4 [8.00%]
44 [88.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2005 at 20:01
Anything constructive?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Sponsored Links

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2005 at 01:15
We do live in a democracy, we voted this & every other government in & we have the power to vote them out if we don't like their policies.

Of course most people consider other policies more important when considering who to vote for & this forum is not representative of the whole nations view on speed limits either.

I agree with variable limits in principle (they would only really work viably on our motorway network though) but the last time a speed increase was looked at it was knocked back because of noise pollution concerns IIRC. All our other limits are fine in my opinion.
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2005 at 02:01
A recent report to the government suggested that the government should more rigidly enforce the 70 limit. This was because it was shown that doing so would make a considerable contribution towards reducing our emmissions (etc) & help in making targets that we have signed up to in international agreements. Targets that we must meet. Speed limits are not just a consideration as a safety measure, but also as an environmental one.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2005 at 04:50
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Ahum! Peter! Wasn't it you that said ...

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Is this thread still going..........give it up guys.

Oh, yes, so it was .

So what are you doing prolonging the agony? Eh?

because it obviously anoys you

I did try not to post but I just can't help it

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2005 at 05:07

I wonder how many people will get fined when doing trackdays?

YOU KNOW the technology would screw-up!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2005 at 05:13
Originally posted by steven.seed steven.seed wrote:

......proposed solutions to  the problem of  lawbreakers but I (and I am sure  you also) and 99% of the population are not part of the problem so should not have to be included in any such measures.

A huge percentage of the population break the speed limit. You only have to drive on a motorway to realise this. However someone once said if a law makes most of the polulation criminals then the law should be changed.

Originally posted by steven.seed steven.seed wrote:

It states in the report that the technology would be dependant on GPS in which case the authorities and anyone else with access to the system immediately knows where you are,have been and at what time etc. Those who operate outside the law will do so anyway regardless of the technology so what else will they do with the information. Can anyone guess?

Since you mentioned GPS technology, I was chatting to my brother about this. He works for BAE so knows quite a bit about it on account of all military aircraft having it fitted. The failure rate for a GPS system is 1 in every 10,000 every time a they are started up. Not a problem on aeroplanes since if one fails they just pull it out and replace it for another. It's not going to be so easy on cars. Imagine the scenario. Every morning 1 out of every 10,000 cars will have a GPS failure. Now if they link them to imobillisers as suggested that's 1 in every 10,000 cars that will not start. If there are 20,000,000 cars on the road that's 2000 people who won't be able to get to work, or drop off the kids at school, or get to the hospital etc etc

However my biggest problem with GPS is it gives the authorites the abillity to track your every movement. Coupled with ID cards it makes it possible to ver closely monitor the movements of any individual you decide is undesirable. Now at the momnet that's terrorists (and speeding motorists it would appear). However just imagine in a few years time if the government in power decide that anti war protestors are undesirable, or even people on forums like this who advocate driving above the speed limit. It would be very easy for the measures brought in the deal with terrorists and motorists to be turned into a system for the government to montior individuals that don't tow the line. I'm not saying that the current government would do this but it could happen and anyopne who says 'it couldn't happen here', quite frankly has their head in the sand. Imagine if the BNP ever got into power!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2005 at 05:14
Thepits, fancy editing that thread so that the page isn't twice as wide as my screen!!
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 12:39

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Thepits, fancy editing that thread so that the page isn't twice as wide as my screen!!

I've done it for him.

Best Wishes

Nigel

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 15:32

I've been away form the site for a while and came back to 26 pages of this thread! I got to page 8 before rembering I didn't like tennis and jumped to the last page!

Livvy, first & foremost welcome to the site, and I sincerely hope, the Club!

The rest of you... be nice to the newbie, we live in a society that thankfully allows us express our own opinions and stand up & be counted for them.

I've driven well in excess of 500K miles since I passed my test in this country and too many others to mention here and would (as most do) consider myself a good driver - doesn't mean to say I am, and one day I'll do my IAM and prove differently I'm sure.

To get it in the open from the outset, I am a firm believer that addressing speed alone isn't the answer. I enjoy driving at speed - when the conditions,  not necessarily laws, allow - as do many of the people that post here.... It's a site for those who love their cars after all.

That said there is no absolute right or wrong in much of what has been posted here in favour or against the use of cameras, and the many other aspects covered. They are there - supposedly - for safety. No right minded person can claim that there are not a number of them posted in locations which are not, nor ever were 'blackspots' and as such they generate revenue without increasing road safety.

I think all would agree that an increase in proper traffic police officers as opposed to cameras would help in controlling bad drivers as well as those using speed inappropriately.

I don't agree with pulling somone driving in circumstances that suit the conditions - road, weather & traffic, the drivers ability and the vehicle itself, but do agree with dealing with the muppets who tear through residential areas, tailgate, undertake and all of the other vices that seem prevalent in todays society.

I do not subscribe to the idea of tiered speed limits as it would be difficult if not impossible for the officers on the street to police. That said, the current speed limits are not relative to the braking or handling abilities of modern cars.

There is no easy answer to the issue, we love our cars, we love driving, but at the end of the day we need to be responsible for our actions.

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 16:09
Thank you for the welcome Derek.

I do have a question.

I don't agree with pulling somone driving in circumstances that suit the conditions - road, weather & traffic, the drivers ability and the vehicle itself

If a Police officer observes a car travelling at say 90mph on a single carriageway national speed limit, how can they accurately judge the ability of the driver to travel at those speeds without being in the car itself & being qualified to assess a drivers ability ?

They can't after all (unless they are in the car) observe the drivers reactions to hazards as they present themselves. The simple answer is you can't accurately without being in the car & our driving test doesn't test anyone at those speeds in our NSL roads. Neither does any other post DSA on road driving test.

If you say then that you don't stop or prosecute unless there is actual dangerous behaviour displaid, isn't that counter productive ?

Surely it is no good waiting until they see something dangerous before they can act, or even worse wait until there is a KSI collision. Preventative legislation is preferable to post incident prosecutions surely as it avoids victims. Speed limits are just that, preventative legislation.

I do agree with you that addressing speed alone is not the answer, but I also believe that ignoring speed will do nothing to help either.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 16:40

Ok, without editing my earlier post I believe the children are our future... oops sorry wrong thread!

Whilst I agree it would be fiendishly difficult to spot a rogue driver cruising along at 5 or 10 miles over the limit - circumsatnces permitting of course -  I believe that there should be more traffic police on the ground and they should be able use their discretion as to who deserves to be pulled over and spoken to, warned or written up and who doesn't. These are highly trained, very skilled & generally very experienced individuals that our taxes pay to train & employ and I would rather put my faith in a stretch of road monitored by a decent traffic cop over some computerised cash cow.

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 17:05
I'm all for more Traffic Police, it's just I remember people complaining about them (& still doing it) when they were (are) reported for speeding offences by them. The oft heard cry being "Why don't you try catching some burglars instead." That not really being a traffic officers primary function, or they would be working on some burglary squad.
As a result of that complaining & the ever present squeeze on purse strings & resources, traffic officer numbers were cut back year on year to supply officers to the other tasks that people wanted more focus on & cameras then took their place.
It could be said that the scaling down in traffic officers was because of public expression & then ultimately the cameras were brought in because of the void that exodus left. People obviously have short memories, or perhaps it's just that they have no chance at all when pleading to a camera that refuses to answer them, so they hanker after teh days where they felt they at least had some chance of pleading their case & for clemency at the roadside.

People seem to think that if Police officers only do speed enforcement that they will turn a blind eye to speeding. I think people are living in cuckoo land. There are no guarantees other than not being over the limit at all if you want to avoid prosecution.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 17:23

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

People seem to think that if Police officers only do speed enforcement that they will turn a blind eye to speeding. I think people are living in cuckoo land. There are no guarantees other than not being over the limit at all if you want to avoid prosecution.

Bit of a contradiction there Livvy methinks! I'm all for more Traffic Police, but not at the expense of other duties - to my mind they should almost be a separate force. I don't believe that the officers formally on traffic detail were reassigned to other duties to appease the public, more a case of running down the numbers of experienced officers who were costing more to run than probationers or these new community jobbies they are so fond of.

Don't get me/us wrong, we're not all out thugs who wantonly flout laws and endanger the public, it's a case of bringing things into perspective and dealing with matters accordingly. Day after day you read of rapists & child molestors walikng free while Joe Soap sales rep with wife & two kids loses his livelihood over some spirited driving in circumstances that wouldn't have harmed anyone - except possibly the tree huggers due to his increased carbon usage. It's got to be a balanced approach.

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 17:34
A typo
I meant people think that Police officers only doing traffic duties will turn a blind eye to speeding.

I assure you that traffic officers were redeployed & found themselves walking the streets on safer street anti robbery intiatives etc.

This Police being focused on speed enforcement is completely out of sync with reality.

I posted on here previously as an example the numbers in the Met Police.

There are about 31,000 Police officers in the Met.
600 are dedicated Traffic officers.
These traffic officers deal with & report the vast majority of KSI collisions in london (a not insignificant number & some of them very protracted enquiries). They spend far more time trying to clear the roads of obstructions, keep traffic flowing around the capital (what with all the ceremonials & demonstrations that take place), dealing with vehicles in dangerous condition etc ,whilst supplying 24 hour coverage in a city with millions of vehicles moving around.
Just 600 officers providing that cover & how many do you think will be doing dedicated speed enforcement at any one time ?
Not very many I can tell you. But if one lone officer parks up for an hour with a laser gun at a known collision hot spot, thousands of cars drive by & think "That's all they do, hit the motorist"

Some forces closed their dedicated traffic units completely.

As I say perception & reality are not always in sync.

Just like when people see GATSOs & think they are everywhere. Most don't even have a camera in at all, they are empty but just trying to persuade you to slow down.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 18:07

I think you are missing the point, I'm all for more traffic officers on the streets and from your figures there are currently less than 2% of the serving officers on the MET on traffic duties while there is still chaos and carnage on our roads.... tell me how then cameras can improve on good old common sense from an experienced officer????

The issue here is not about those few traffic officers who have a lidar or such in their hands, it's the fact that they are being replaced by technology that is often misplaced and is incapable of making any form of judgement call other than the obvious

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 18:31
I think you are missing my point.

The public complained about traffic officers & wanted them deployed elsewhere. The public said they should be out catching burglars not prosecuting motorists. The cameras came in large numbers after not before the drop in traffic officer numbers. Cameras were an attempt to plug the hole, in response to public wishes about redeployment of reources.

I would prefer to see more Police, but they are far more expensive than cameras & budgets are squeezed. When the relative departments heads are bidding for a slice of the budgets who do you think will have the purse string holders ear at the momment ? Anti-terror ? Burglary ? Robbery ? Drugs ? Gun crime ? Public order ? or traffic ?

When the governement look at cameras the figures show that average speeds drop where they are placed, KSI collisions drop where they are placed. They are self funding, which Police officers are not. They work 24/7, don't have to leave their post for paper work, don't have to eat, can process offenders far more efficiently & show no favour.

Gunning for speed is a crude way to deal with the problems on our roads, but what reducing speed does, is gives drivers the golden nugget that is time. Time to recover from their mistakes, mistakes that may come initially from other deficiencies in their driving but that speed just exaggerates. Yes it's dumming down, but it works on the premise that less speed = more time to avoid the collision & if it still can't be avoided less speed = less energy in the collision & therefore greater chance of survival or minimal injury.

They want you to slow down so they don't have to prosecute you & at the same time you can help them meet their targets for reductions in KSI numbers. Reducing speed is cheap & gives more immeadiate results whilst being easy to implement. Dealing with the low skill level  wholesale is expensive & will take a long time to yield reduction benefits. It is also very complex to introduce. As I said earlier as well there are environmental benefits to limiting speed.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 19:20

Whilst I agree with much of what you say and you seem to be very well informed on the state & nature of the deployment of police resources, I don't agree that my slowing down for cameras on a deserted dual carriageway is going to stop some muppet in a nova rear ending someone and causing a major pile up as a result.

I got caught earlier this year on an empty stretch of dual carriageway in dry, bright conditions. The opposing lanes were separted by armco, the perifery was fenced to protect the deer and aside from th ebloke hiding in the bushes with a laser, there wasn't a sole in the area.... I was 10 kms over the limit, yes I was over the limit no question, no on made me do it, but where was that chap in the proceeding 15 km's when it was single lane and I was was being tailgated by an overkeen youth in a punto with drum brakes vs my race derived abs developed on the Nuburgring setup as standard on an M5???

Which scenario was more likely to end in tears?? Common Sense, is that too much to ask? I and most others here would agree that it's the government not the Police that are to blame. I rather see a dozen patrol cars sitting in those little bays on the motorways than 1000 cameras covering the same area.

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 19:30
As I say I'd prefer to see more Police rather than cameras as well.
I do understand people's frustration in the dumming down to the lowest common denominator, but I also see it's value to the government as an easy immeadiate option.

As for tailgaters, increasing speed to get away from them is not the answer. Invariably they will just pick up speed to sit just as close but at a faster speed, or you will end up going so far over the limit that you'll lose your licence in one hit.

Drive at a speed that you can extend your braking for any potential hazards ahead. So that your initial application can always be very gentle & measured, never needing to be firm or hurried. You are then building time in your application for the tailgater behind so that they won't be surprised by your brakes and adversely react. Think defensively with them in mind & build time in your driving plans to account for their inadequacies.

Derive pleasure in your driving from your harmonious interraction with all other road users, however talentless they are. You be their saviour & save them from themselves with your planning prioritised around safety. Revel in your skill in these areas on public roads, the skill of your accuracy in never being caught unaware by any circumstance. Save your "thrills" for places that are designed with that in mind & not where they will leave you open to prosecution.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2005 at 21:13

I do understand people's frustration in the dumming down to the lowest common denominator, but I also see it's value to the government as an easy immeadiate option.

Oh, the irony of complaining about dumbing down, but not being able to spell it.

Derive pleasure in your driving from your harmonious interraction with all other road users, however talentless they are. You be their saviour & save them from themselves with your planning prioritised around safety. Revel in your skill in these areas on public roads, the skill of your accuracy in never being caught unaware by any circumstance. Save your "thrills" for places that are designed with that in mind & not where they will leave you open to prosecution.

Yes, miss, and I'll enjoy doing my homework as well. I will also derive pleasure from the harmonious interaction of the Phillips steam iron and the ironing board on my shirts, not to mention the harmonious interaction of the pot scourer and the Fairy liquid on the baked-on food on my pots and pans.

I will not revel in my skill in avoiding accidents and driving to cater for other drivers' idiocies, I choose instead to rail over their stupidity and wish for a bull bar on my E30 so that I can shove the clueless idiots off the road without scratching my paintwork. I will mull over the fitment of Q Division rocket launchers in my sunroof to blast recalcitrant lane hoggers out of the way. I will daydream about a world where HGV drivers can either drive at the same speed as the rest of us so that they don't cause such enormous logjams, or where it is legal to shred their tyres en passant if they take longer than 30 seconds to overtake.

We aren't all as saintly and perfect as you. I don't mind admitting that the stupidity of other drivers aggravates me to such an extent that I find myself getting off motorways and driving on the slowest, least safe but emptiest roads just to avoid bursting a blood vessel. I realise it's a major character flaw I have; I'd love to be able to be as pious as you are.
Ciao,
Spokey

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 04:16

Back to the subect of this thread, it appears that the result of the poll is fairly conclusive. So if nothing else the government (or livvy for that matter) has failed to convince us that cameras are a good thing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>
  Share Topic