Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedScamera poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>
Poll Question: Are scameras good for road safety ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.00%]
4 [8.00%]
44 [88.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 04:56
I didn't think I ever would convince anyone of such, I give my personal opinion the same as others.
Truthfully it's not a place that is likely to harbour much support for them is it ?
However despite looking, I haven't seen any convincing argument from anyone here as to why we shouldn't have them & I'd love to hear one if there is. If we are to have speed limits & the cameras only prosecute people breaking those limits how can we argue against that ?
We may campaign for different limits, but that is a different argument than cameras enforcing limits.

People have said about more officers to deal with other problems that cameras can't & I agree. But why not more officers in general & also cameras at hotspots ?
It's no basis saying we shouldn't have something simply because it might catch me doing something illegal.

With regards the poll here, is a lack of support here likely to cause government concern or change government policy ?
I don't think so.
I think they are far more likely to look at & hold greater stock with polls from a wider demographic than a performance car owners forum. They know they have an image problem with cameras, but they know that they have had a positive reduction in speed & KSIs at sites.  I don't think they are going to get rid of them.
The question for them I think is are they going to have more or use other methods to keep people's speeds down, but they are still going to try to keep people's speed down. If it's not cameras it will be something else.

If people think they are going to see an increase in speed limits OR the government are going to turn a blind eye to speeding, then I think they are sticking their heads in the sand & blinding themselves to the contrary evidence of government policy intention.

(Reminder to self - check for typo errors in case Spokey blows a gasket.)

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
Sponsored Links

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 05:05

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

As for tailgaters, increasing speed to get away from them is not the answer.

I Wasn't for a moment suggesting it was.

Drive at a speed that you can extend your braking for any potential hazards ahead. So that your initial application can always be very gentle & measured, never needing to be firm or hurried. You are then building time in your application for the tailgater behind so that they won't be surprised by your brakes and adversely react. Think defensively with them in mind & build time in your driving plans to account for their inadequacies.

Planning ahead, ensuring sufficient braking distances - even if everyone ahead thinks you're leaving space for them to pull in - This is all basic driving skills 101, awareness of other road users yes, anticipation of their next move yes. but there are lot of them out there for me to protect .... which one do I choose? the lovley blonde weaving while she applies her mascara or the hoodie wearing neanderthal that's so close it seems he's trying to mount my car in some display of sexual domination?

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on many points discussed here Livvy. But to go full circle and answer one of you earliest questions regarding loss of customer base, you are right, in one sense banning people will cost them money on the long term - but most people don't end up banned just very nervous while they tiptoe around with 6 or 9 points for a couple of years.

The same could be said for us poor smokers (yup one o them too!) We put millions into the coffers of Mssrs Brown & Bliar.... do they thank us, no. Do we get inviter round to No 11 for tea & biccies for being a major contributor, no, We get criminalised, shunned as soon told to go stand outside to enjoy our addiction!

I'm off me soapbox and going to seek some harmonious interaction with a Phillips Azure and some Ben Shermans - can't be looking creased or crumpled as I tear up the highways smoking and scaring old ladies now can I

. [/QUOTE]
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 05:14
Originally posted by Derek M5 Derek M5 wrote:

Drive at a speed that you can extend your braking for any potential hazards ahead. So that your initial application can always be very gentle & measured, never needing to be firm or hurried. You are then building time in your application for the tailgater behind so that they won't be surprised by your brakes and adversely react. Think defensively with them in mind & build time in your driving plans to account for their inadequacies.

Planning ahead, ensuring sufficient braking distances - even if everyone ahead thinks you're leaving space for them to pull in - This is all basic driving skills 101, awareness of other road users yes, anticipation of their next move yes. but there are lot of them out there for me to protect .... which one do I choose? the lovley blonde weaving while she applies her mascara or the hoodie wearing neanderthal that's so close it seems he's trying to mount my car in some display of sexual domination?

Why not do it for them all, you don't have to choose.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on many points discussed here Livvy. But to go full circle and answer one of you earliest questions regarding loss of customer base, you are right, in one sense banning people will cost them money on the long term - but most people don't end up banned just very nervous while they tiptoe around with 6 or 9 points for a couple of years.

True, the numbers banned have not really changed at all whilst the numbers of prosecutions have gone up dramatically. Is this evidence that people change their behaviour ?
The government take it that it is, along with (as you say tiptoe) a belief that these people take greater care with their speed as a result, which is the object of the exercise.

The same could be said for us poor smokers (yup one o them too!) We put millions into the coffers of Mssrs Brown & Bliar.... do they thank us, no. Do we get inviter round to No 11 for tea & biccies for being a major contributor, no, We get criminalised, shunned as soon told to go stand outside to enjoy our addiction!

Cue Nigel.
Me personally I don't want to be forced to share people's smoke.

I'm off me soapbox and going to seek some harmonious interaction with a Phillips Azure and some Ben Shermans - can't be looking creased or crumpled as I tear up the highways smoking and scaring old ladies now can I

I find collar, cuffs, sleeves, back then front best.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 06:24
And again we differ, collar front back sleeves cuffs for me! All laundry now done so back to the serious business of finding some accomodation!
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 07:33

True, the numbers banned have not really changed at all whilst the numbers of prosecutions have gone up dramatically. Is this evidence that people change their behaviour ?
The government take it that it is, along with (as you say tiptoe) a belief that these people take greater care with their speed as a result, which is the object of the exercise.

If I may dare to differ in opinion with as august and knowledgeable a person as yourself, a random drive down any given motorway will clearly show that while certain individual drivers may be tiptoeing around, the vast majority of drivers either drive at about 85-90 MPH (a guess based on how fast they seem to sail past me) or about 60MPH (based on how fast I sail past them) and the HGV's drive at 55MPH. Effectively we already have a three-tier speed limit system and I don't think the differentials I see are particularly good for road safety.

The government is clearly misguided if they think that they are changing behaviour overall. They are only changing the behaviour of people unlucky enough to get caught speeding at a given point.

The thing that rankles most about the use of scameras is that they are often sited at places where it's very easy to unintentionally break the speed limit and take absolutely no regard for how you drive overall. You may have driven at or below the speed limit for a whole two hours before, and a whole two hours after, but if your attention should drift for just one minute, you could arbitrarily be a criminal. This is why (for me, anyway) it's a subject that means that no matter what the benefits may be, I will never support them.

I don't even support them at schools or dangerous junctions, because I find that I focus on my speedo far too much when passing one.
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 07:47

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

The thing that rankles most about the use of scameras is that they are often sited at places where it's very easy to unintentionally break the speed limit and take absolutely no regard for how you drive overall. You may have driven at or below the speed limit for a whole two hours before, and a whole two hours after, but if your attention should drift for just one minute, you could arbitrarily be a criminal. This is why (for me, anyway) it's a subject that means that no matter what the benefits may be, I will never support them.

This is one of the rare occaisions I find myself in agreement with Spokey.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 08:35
Good job we don't live in America isn't it.. How many of us would stay at their 55mph limit?

Does anyone know the motorway speed limits of other countries, what do they use to enforce these limits (cameras etc) and how effective are they with relation to number of people caught speeding/accidents reported. Thing is are they in relation to the number of cars per mile of motorway or the condition of these roads?

I doubt we have the best roads in Europe (out car tax gets spent on other things, like copper cladding government buildings - but to digress) and the number of cars on the road is probably greater now than ever before.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 09:08

I agree with spokey on many points, I just differ with how I put them across.

As for smoking, Derek your a good bloke, Livvy stop being such a wimp , living where you do, and breathing that "air", how can you complain about smoke !

The main thing I hope we are seeing here ( and Livvy has taken the time and patience to teach me ), is we aren't going to get rid of cameras.

We of course are in a minority, but not a favoured one like religion, or homosexuals, but like the afforementioned two groups, we do need to band together , somehow, to get our point of view listened to.

That itself is the major challenge that will face us in the next few years.

We have to come up with an alternate strategy to the government, that will reduce ksi's, and leave our hobby intact.

You all know my answer ( advanced driving...regardless of the organisation), what are your options ?, what can you come up with to help ?

IF we do nothing, the people in the know advise it will get worse, much much worse as far as we are concerned.

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 09:12

Livvy

Regarding the poll on here, I know its not representative of the general population, but in my opinion at least, it holds as much water as the ones you quote me !

Either on or off forum, I'd love to see the questions asked in the ones you quote.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 09:41
I disagree with speed cameras or at least many of the locations of them. I do like the new signs that tell you your speed as you approach. Personally, those do have an impact on me, they make you think about your speed and aware of what the speed limit is in that zone - but gatso`s just annoy me.

A speed readign sign followed by a gatso further along the road I would find more acceptable.

If you do enough miles, with the current system it is only a matter of time before EVERYONE gets flashed. My first and only time has been when I went to new town I have never been to before(back in Feb this year). I was looking for a place and turning. It was a dual carriageway NOT in a built up areas and I didn`t realise it was a 40. I got busted doing 49 - not too bad considering the circumstances. I didn`t even see the camera so was shocked when later I got a NIP.
I fought my NIP via letter explaining some things and it was dropped.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 10:12

This is encouraging :

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=2343112005

We could do with a few more pedestrians/cyclists held to account.

Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 14:31

If I may dare to differ in opinion with as august and knowledgeable a person as yourself, a random drive down any given motorway will clearly show that while certain individual drivers may be tiptoeing around, the vast majority of drivers either drive at about 85-90 MPH (a guess based on how fast they seem to sail past me) or about 60MPH (based on how fast I sail past them) and the HGV's drive at 55MPH. Effectively we already have a three-tier speed limit system and I don't think the differentials I see are particularly good for road safety.

The government is clearly misguided if they think that they are changing behaviour overall. They are only changing the behaviour of people unlucky enough to get caught speeding at a given point.

GATSOs are advertised & their purpose is to slow you at & in the immeadiate vicinity of identified targeted problem points. They can't hope to enforce change nationally wholesale.
Education is the way forward for that as it requires attitude changes.

You could drive for 2 hours lapse & get caught by a Police officer. Net result could be the same as a camera couldn't it. If you feel your concentration lapsing take a break.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 14:33
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

I doubt we have the best roads in Europe (out car tax gets spent on other things, like copper cladding government buildings - but to digress) and the number of cars on the road is probably greater now than ever before.

We have the safest roads (in terms of casualty numbers per mile) of virtually any major nation in the world, let alone Europe.
Mine & mine alone.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 14:53

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

We have the safest roads (in terms of casualty numbers per mile) of virtually any major nation in the world, let alone Europe.

So if our roads are so safe then why is there such a fuss about speeding?

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 14:57
Perhaps it's because we do what we do that they are the safest.

About 3,200 killed (mostly preventable deaths) & tens of thousands with life threatening or changing injuries is still too many.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 16:51

If you feel your concentration lapsing take a break.

Do you ever listen to the radio? If so, do you ever change the volume? Do you ever change stations or swap the CD or tape? Do you ever find your eye getting caught by something alongside the road?

Do you pull to the side of the road before you do any of those things?
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 16:53

About 3,200 killed (mostly preventable deaths) & tens of thousands with life threatening or changing injuries is still too many.

Yes, and about ten times that killed (all preventable deaths) by hospital-acquired infections is also too many. I don't see the government clamping down on NHS incompetence.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 17:06

Yes, and about ten times that killed (all preventable deaths) by hospital-acquired infections is also too many. I don't see the government clamping down on NHS incompetence.

My partner works in the NHS & they try very hard actually. I won't dispute that more funding is needed & greater effort from the government & the hospitals themselves. Those figures are not acceptable, but that aside it is no reason to ignore the problem of death & injury on our roads.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 17:16
I'm going to make a few observations regarding speeding on our motorways.

1. you are more likely to speed if everyone else is also braking the limit (as said before most people drive at or around 80mph)

2. If you are driving on an empty motorway you are likely to brake the limit as you are less aware of the speed you are going with relation to others (or the lack of others) around you. Modern cars are stable at high speeds, I noticed a big difference between an '85 E30 316 which vibrated at 70mph and an '88 E30 320i which would cruise all day long at upto 80mph - my current '95 E36 318ti would probably cruise all day long at 90mph.

2. Speed cameras can cause people to brake even if they aren't going over the limit (can cause braking first then checking of speed) This can cause a knock on effect of making others brake behind them. Is this safe?

If you are a habitual speeder, try driving something slow..
After driving a Vitara, which is comfortable at 70 but wouldn't want to go much faster - you become more aware of others driving above the limit - and because you can't then you end up settling down and letting others get on with it (and having the odd laugh at others when they get caught)

just a few thoughts, any comments?

Edited by Rhys
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2005 at 17:25

I won't dispute that more funding is needed & greater effort from the government & the hospitals themselves.

Whereas with driving, it's all down to the driver. No-one else has to do anything. And it can all be cured by stopping people speeding.

Result!
Ciao,
Spokey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>
  Share Topic