Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedScamera poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
Poll Question: Are scameras good for road safety ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.00%]
4 [8.00%]
44 [88.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:34

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Surely though Nigel we should always be travelling at a speed in the first place, that we can take in all the information that is available to us & pertinent (I include the speed limit sign in this). If we can't aren't we driving beyond our capabilities & that is dangerous.

Rubbish! You are stating here that the posted speed limit is the SAFE limit on that road - that is tosh!

The safe speed limit on ANY road depends on many factors.

70mph on a motorway in the driving rain and fog is stupid - but legal!

100mph on an empty motorway at 2am is safe but illegal!!!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Sponsored Links

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:35
There are far better ways to help people remain within the speed limits. I have (on other fora) suggested that instead of a camera, there should be a sign warning you a) what the limit is and b) the speed at which you are travelling.

Cameras are not going to stop TWOCers or criminals or people who don't care about losing their license and continue driving anyway.

As a motorist, I feel that standards are applied to me that are not applied to any other road users. If you look at the road safety adverts, for every one advert saying look left, look right, there are ten that say "motorists are at fault for every accident and speed is the root cause of everything."

You never see adverts saying "if you're stupid enough to walk out into the road without looking, you might get run over." Yes, I am in the big, heavy thing that will kill people if they walk in front of it while it's moving, I am the one who pays for that black stuff that I drive around on. I am the one who has to comply with government regulations that define what the state of my car should be. I am the one who subsidises everyone with the outrageous tax on fuel. But I am also the one who has to automatically carry the can for those people who choose to use the road in something other than a car.

I rail against cameras because I see blatant abuse of the safety message with cameras placed on dead straight roads behind bushes or road signs. This weekend, I saw cameras cunningly placed behind signs in two villages at the entry points. These signs were in a forest of multi-coloured road signage, INCLUDING SEVERAL ITEMS WHICH WERE BRIGHT YELLOW. So easy to miss the camera until you see the flash. Now, while I believe that you should drive extra carefully in built up areas (because children are not taught to worry about running into a busy road), if those cameras ARE there to deter speeding, why are they not visible? People DO slow down at cameras (often when they don't even need to.)

But no, they're practically invisible until you're past them, so if you're late in slowing down (which I agree is unforgivable!) you will be penalised. You will not be given the extra incentive to slow down first.

I can honestly say that I have spotted cameras in several places where I can understand the justification, even though I would still provide an information display, rather than a penalty-based revenue-gathering device. However, for every ONE camera like that I see, I see TEN that make me seethe as they are obvious scams.

If the government was serious about road safety, they would address the causes of 87% of all accidents, before taking our money for the 13%. I see plenty of the latter, and absolutely NONE of the former. Even if the 33% statistic is correct, they are making hay about one-third of accidents, and doing nothing about the other two-thirds.

Speed cameras are portrayed as a panacea for road safety. They are not. Given all the other abuse I have to suffer as a motorist, I feel that they are part of an orchestrated campaign to deprive me of my mobility by discouraging me from using my car.

There is a law against travelling over 70MPH on an open motorway on a clear sunny day. A camera will penalise you for doing that. If the camera doesn't get you, then in future, a black box will. Speed is a factor in between 13% and 33% of RTA's depending on whose lies you believe. I am sure on occasion I have strayed to 71MPH on a motorway, especially in cars that don't have cruise control. I am therefore a potential murderer. (Although I'm only a potential murderer in the UK. And not on the Isle of Man. In France, I can drive about 85MPH before I suddenly become a potential  murderer. In Germany, on certain roads, I can never be a potential murderer, although I could suddenly become an actual murderer.)

Similarly, there is a law against actual murder. If between 13% and 33% of those murders occur in a home, then perhaps in future, they could put camera in everyone's house to stop those actual murders from occurring or at least automatically provide proof of the crime. After all, if you don't actually murder people in your house, then you've got no reason to rail against the idea, do you? You want those lives to be saved, don't you? It could be your child's life that gets saved, after all. And if those cameras happen to catch you fiddling on your taxes, well, you should be doing that either, should you. And they can start serving automatic ASBO's for things like picking your nose or scratching your privates. So we'll all be better behaved, and the world will be a better place.

Sounds wonderful. Sign me up.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:37
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Surely though Nigel we should always be travelling at a speed in the first place, that we can take in all the information that is available to us & pertinent (I include the speed limit sign in this). If we can't aren't we driving beyond our capabilities & that is dangerous.

Rubbish! You are stating here that the posted speed limit is the SAFE limit on that road - that is tosh!

The safe speed limit on ANY road depends on many factors.

70mph on a motorway in the driving rain and fog is stupid - but legal!

100mph on an empty motorway at 2am is safe but illegal!!!

Where am I saying that ?

Nigel is saying that we can't see the speed limit sign because we are concentrating on the other hazard.

I am saying if that is the case we should be going slower because it is obviously too fast to process all of the importnat information that is available to us (important includes what the road signs are (all of them))
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:41

I'm saying we may miss it due to other factors, and assuming we don't have local knowledge of our entire road network, this is forgivable.

So, if scameras are not there to make money, repeaters every hundred yards or so would be good wouldn't they ?

So where are they ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:42
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

No Livvy, I disagree with you.

There can be so much information to take in, you can't possibly do it all, and the local council and the highways department are responsible for large amounts of sinage overload on our roads.

You prioritise what you are seeing, subconciously, and with experience.

I happen to think that the speed limit sign showing a reduction is very important & should be one of your priorities. It is indicative for your anticipation & planning of extra hazards ahead. You shoudn't be waiting until you can physically see them to start your plans when the signs are giving you that advance warning.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:43

I'm saying we may miss it due to other factors, and assuming we don't have local knowledge of our entire road network, this is forgivable. So, if scameras are not there to make money, repeaters every hundred yards or so would be good wouldn't they ?

So where are they ?

It's 2 (or maybe 3!) against one here Nigel - is that fair???

Even if livvy is wrong!  

Edited by thepits

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:45

I'm saying we may miss it due to other factors, and assuming we don't have local knowledge of our entire road network, this is forgivable.

So, if scameras are not there to make money, repeaters every hundred yards or so would be good wouldn't they ?

So where are they ?

I see repeaters all over the place, except 30's where they are forbidden, but that doesn't matter as we know with street lamps closer than 185m apart & no repeaters these are 30's, or no street lamps & no repeaters National speed limits.

I do travel at a speed that I can process that information in the first place though. What are the other more important factors ?

Edited by livvy
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:48

I do travel at a speed that I can process that information in the first place though.

So that's 70mph on a motorway / dual carriageway then?

But don't care.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:48

No Livvy, I disagree with you.

There can be so much information to take in, you can't possibly do it all, and the local council and the highways department are responsible for large amounts of sinage overload on our roads.

You prioritise what you are seeing, subconciously, and with experience.

I happen to think that the speed limit sign showing a reduction is very important & should be one of your priorities. It is indicative for your anticipation & planning of extra hazards ahead. You shoudn't be waiting until you can physically see them to start your plans when the signs are giving you that advance warning.

I dissagree with you entirely Livvy.

One of my local area's stunts is to put speed limit changes right at  traffic islands, busy ones at that, the last thing you should be looking for here is road signs.

Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:50

I do travel at a speed that I can process that information in the first place though.

So that's 70mph on a motorway / dual carriageway then?

That's the maximum where posted as such (not all dual carriageways are National Speed limits after all). Also depend on whether I'm driving other vehicles to which different limits apply.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:50

Yes, because the signage is always 100% accurate and believable, isn't it? I mean, I've never wasted 15 minutes in one lane because a sign warned of a lane closure ahead which never materialised. Similarly, I have never come over a blind rise to find a bunch of workmen in the road with no warning.

I'll just keep my eyes on the signage then!
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:52

One of my local area's stunts is to put speed limit changes right at  traffic islands, busy ones at that, the last thing you should be looking for here is road signs.

Well I disagree Nigel. I don't think Safety is negotiable & if you can't take in all the important details (which includes signs) & you are getting information overload, then you must slow down. It is folly not to.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:53

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Yes, because the signage is always 100% accurate and believable, isn't it? I mean, I've never wasted 15 minutes in one lane because a sign warned of a lane closure ahead which never materialised. Similarly, I have never come over a blind rise to find a bunch of workmen in the road with no warning.

Yes, let's just slip O/T for a while - "Lane closed to protect workforce"

9 o-clock at night, no workforce, no machinery, no evidence of any work at all, just loads of cones, and.................

a speed camera set at 50 - or even 40mph

why????????????????

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:57

Have I said that you must only observe signage ?

Of course you mustn't, but you have to consider what it says & build it into your driving plans, that is prudent. Any signs missed are an opportunity for information missed. The more information we have the more accurate & well considered our driving plans will be.

If I gave you a briefing sheet as we are going out on a track day & I said you've got to read it between here & the car, you wouldn't rush to the car, you'd slow yourself down to take in all the information. If you don't you are putting yourself & others at risk, it's no good then complaining but I didn't have time because I rushed to the car & wanted to get out on the track.

Edited by livvy
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:59

Yes, let's just slip O/T for a while - "Lane closed to protect workforce"

9 o-clock at night, no workforce, no machinery, no evidence of any work at all, just loads of cones, and.................

a speed camera set at 50 - or even 40mph

why????????????????

I don't know, but it is not for us to decide on what is an appropriate speed over that posted limit. We are only allowed to decide that up to it as a maximum.

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 18:59

Well I disagree Nigel. I don't think Safety is negotiable & if you can't take in all the important details (which includes signs) & you are getting information overload, then you must slow down. It is folly not to.

I agree safety is not negotiable. Unfortunately, the only person responsible is the motorist. The Highways Agency or whoever can put up as much road signage as they want, wherever they want, and it's up to the motorist to decode it. I would have thought it would be far better to provide the motorist with useful information at a managed pace that allows the motorist to also consider things like kids running into the road from between parked cars, etc.

If the Highways Agency (or whoever) posts a bunch of spurious signage, then we have to slow down AND get distracted from watching out for other road users.

If I have to be a careful driver, why can't they employ careful  sign-putter-uppers?
Ciao,
Spokey

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:01

I don't know, but it is not for us to decide on what is an appropriate speed over that posted limit. We are only allowed to decide that up to it as a maximum.

TWADDLE! Big Brother State and all that! Not for us to decide indeed!!!!!!!

I retract my apology!

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:02

I agree safety is not negotiable. Unfortunately, the only person responsible is the motorist. The Highways Agency or whoever can put up as much road signage as they want, wherever they want, and it's up to the motorist to decode it. I would have thought it would be far better to provide the motorist with useful information at a managed pace that allows the motorist to also consider things like kids running into the road from between parked cars, etc.

If the Highways Agency (or whoever) posts a bunch of spurious signage, then we have to slow down AND get distracted from watching out for other road users.

If I have to be a careful driver, why can't they employ careful  sign-putter-uppers?

In my experience lack of signage poses a greater risk than over signage on our roads.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:04

TWADDLE! Big Brother State and all that! Not for us to decide indeed!!!!!!!

I retract my apology!

What do you mean big brother state.

Where does it say we can decide what is an appropraite speed to travel at above the speed limit & when has it ever said we can do that ?

It says we can only decide on an appropriate speed up to & not beyond it.

That's not twaddle it's the law & has clearly been stated as such for a long long time.

Edited by livvy
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:07

In my experience lack of signage poses a greater risk than over signage on our roads.

More twaddle! How can you possibly say that?

There have been numerous reports about the amount of useless signage on our roads leading to confusion...

How long is your "experience" anyway?

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
  Share Topic