Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedScamera poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 29>
Poll Question: Are scameras good for road safety ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.00%]
4 [8.00%]
44 [88.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:08
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

In my experience lack of signage poses a greater risk than over signage on our roads.

Well, you see both. I see places where I wonder what on earth is going on because there is so much signage, and then I see places where I think "a sign before that bend might have been helpful." Sadly, people have to die before that problem gets fixed.

I wonder how many deaths are attributable to signage overload or underload (for want of a better term)?

Still, stick up a camera, don't worry about the signs. People will slow down. That will fix everything. Safety partnerships ROCK!
Ciao,
Spokey

Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:10

it's the law & has clearly been stated as such for a long long time.

The law is an ass.

The speed limits we now have were inflicted on us many years ago - things have changed - even the police accept that the limits have not changed with the times.

Do you NEVER break ANY law EVER???

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

The speed limit changes are very easily dealt with, countdown markers should be used at every downward speed limit change.

Please don't play the safety card with me Livvy, Hm gov have rendered that one useless with all their cow pooh, it just causes people to switch off now.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Wow, this subject certainly has people fired up. the trouble is your posts are all too long and i've had too much to drink to read them all  

The trouble with speed cameras is that they only look at one aspect of road safety. Sure in some cases exceding the speed limit does cause accidents and fatalities but so do a lot of things. Lack of concentration/attention, tiredness, alcohol, driving too close etc etc. In fact in my 12 years of driving I have found that the two things that have made me feel most uncomfortable are people driving too close and a general lack of attention caused in most parts by mobile phones. The bulk of the crashes I have seen have been caused by Tail gating and or not noticing the car in fronts brake lights. Unless my years of driving have been totally unrepresentative of what happens on the roads today, why is the focus on just on speeding?

Simple, it's easy to catch speeders, requires minimal manpower, which in a world of staff cutbacks is great for the bean counters and it makes money.

Let me put it this way. Any one who drives too close is driving dangerously and endangering lives. The same cannot be said for everyone who breaks the speed limit. So why is the focus on speed? 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:12
Because its a money spinner Peter
Best Wishes

Nigel

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:15

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Because its a money spinner Peter

and we'll never get livvy to agree ......

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:16
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

In my experience lack of signage poses a greater risk than over signage on our roads.

More twaddle! How can you possibly say that?

There have been numerous reports about the amount of useless signage on our roads leading to confusion...

How long is your "experience" anyway?

I drive over quite a bit of the country, I've NEVER felt burdened by signage, infact I value it taking the view that if somebody has gone to the great expense of putting up signs or painting the road, then they think there is something I should know about.

Like I say I travel at a speed that I can process it & deal with it. It doesn't make me miss the speed limit signs or any other important information.

I have also driven down many roads where I've considered the amount of signage inadequate for the severity of the bend.

Experience ?

What how long have I been driving ?

Is it relevant ?

22 years.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:17
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Wow, this subject certainly has people fired up. the trouble is your posts are all too long and i've had too much to drink to read them all  

Go for a drive, it will clear your head.

Just don't break the speed limit, OK?

(PS That was a joke! Don't drink and drive, even if you can get past a scamera with impunity!)
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:24

The trouble with speed cameras is that they only look at one aspect of road safety. Sure in some cases exceding the speed limit does cause accidents and fatalities but so do a lot of things. Lack of concentration/attention, tiredness, alcohol, driving too close etc etc. In fact in my 12 years of driving I have found that the two things that have made me feel most uncomfortable are people driving too close and a general lack of attention caused in most parts by mobile phones. The bulk of the crashes I have seen have been caused by Tail gating and or not noticing the car in fronts brake lights. Unless my years of driving have been totally unrepresentative of what happens on the roads today, why is the focus on just on speeding?

Simple, it's easy to catch speeders, requires minimal manpower, which in a world of staff cutbacks is great for the bean counters and it makes money.

Let me put it this way. Any one who drives too close is driving dangerously and endangering lives. The same cannot be said for everyone who breaks the speed limit. So why is the focus on speed? 

But none of this means we shouldn't have cameras to enforce our speed limits.

I'm not suggesting that the Police should just prosecute speeders, they should be dealing with all offences, but there seems to be an under current here that they should deal with other offences & NOT speeding specifically, only because you want to speed.

This still doesn't detract from my question (that I have asked several times) how can it be about money when it is you who decides whether you speed or not (Not the Police or government) ? And I say again that if you miss the signs then you are not paying enough attention or are travelling too quickly for you to process the required information, both of which are dangerous. (Unless of course the signs are not placed correctly in which case you couldn't get prosecuted for speeding anyway)

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:25

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Go for a drive, it will clear your head.

Just don't break the speed limit, OK?

(PS That was a joke!)

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:28

(PS That was a joke! Don't drink and drive, even if you can get past a scamera with impunity!)

But cameras are not supposed to get drink drivers, the fact they don't doesn't invalidate them. Their purpose is to disuade, or in the event of non compliance detect, speeding. Which they are evidently very good at.

Drink drive is dealt with by other more traditional methods, it isn't ignored. In fact speed cameras could besaid to free up Police to deal with those matters instead of speed enforcement.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:31
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

The speed limit changes are very easily dealt with, countdown markers should be used at every downward speed limit change.

Please don't play the safety card with me Livvy, Hm gov have rendered that one useless with all their cow pooh, it just causes people to switch off now.

You were complaining a couple of minutes ago about too much signage.

As I've said already if they are sufficently posted & clearly visible as per the regulations if you are travelling at a correct speed & paying attention you should not miss them.

We all managed it for our driving tests, shouldn't we be getting better with experience not worse.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:31

But none of this means we shouldn't have cameras to enforce our speed limits.
- in the right places!

And I say again that if you miss the signs then you are not paying enough attention or are travelling too quickly for you to process the required information, both of which are dangerous.
 Rubbish!

(Unless of course the signs are not placed correctly
- which they often are.

in which case you couldn't get prosecuted for speeding anyway) 
  substitute 'shouldn't' for 'couldn't' and you'd be closer to the truth

unless livvy knows different?

But don't care.
skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:32
the government say speed cameras work .
so why are road deaths up year after year in most areas with cameras.
nigel your right when you say "You prioritise what you are seeing, subconciously, and with experience".

who is the more dangerous , nigel doing 80mph on a empty motorway or a 17 year old who has just pasted thier test doing 30mph in a 30 limit.
personnaly i would trust nigel or anyone with experience than anyone with just a year or two driving.
the reason we have so many accidents is the easy and useless test system we have that allows half blind sloppy careless drivers to be in control of any veihcle.
if i can drive higher than the speed limit taking in all that is around me safely and another cannot then why am i in the wrong, i am made to comply because of others lack of common sense and ability.

so livvy if the government changed the limit tomorrow on a motorway to 80mph that would be ok for you because we must follow like blind sheep what somebody that dont even drive themselves has said we must do.
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
Floody View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:32
I'm with Thepits all the way on his posts,Livvy, are you saying you have never been on a totaly empty m/way and gone over 70??? and on a rainy/thick fog/ thick traffic you would stay at 70??
Me (could get busted for this)!!! m/way dry, 4am 100 +
M/way thick fog,/ thick rain/snow/ice /heavy traffic,or road work's I'm the guy in the in side lane
speed limit's should be down to condition's not the road

Edited by Floody
Mark E30 M3 RHD!!! now sold !!! still crying!!!!
E36 318 is in technoviolet, for sale
Thank's for the photo Coasting, Flood's on tour!
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:34

Drink drive is dealt with by other more traditional methods, it isn't ignored.
well not at Christmas it isn't!

In fact speed cameras could be said to free up Police to deal with those matters instead of speed enforcement.
you could say that - it would be twaddle, but no-one could stop you saying it!

But don't care.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:35

But cameras are not supposed to get drink drivers, the fact they don't doesn't invalidate them. Their purpose is to disuade, or in the event of non compliance detect, speeding. Which they are evidently very good at.

Drink drive is dealt with by other more traditional methods, it isn't ignored. In fact speed cameras could besaid to free up Police to deal with those matters instead of speed enforcement.

How come I NEVER EVER see a policecar on the motorway doing anything but sitting in a layby with the laser gun out?

You can pass the buck on "safety partnerships" but I don't ever see the police pulling people for anything other than speeding. I don't doubt that they do other things, but frankly the weight of my personal experience is that the police appear to be entirely focused on speed only.

So it's not freeing them up at all in my experience.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:37
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

The speed limits we now have were inflicted on us many years ago - things have changed - even the police accept that the limits have not changed with the times.

Do you NEVER break ANY law EVER???

Things have changed since they were introduced, far more cars on the road, far less tolerance, far more aggressiveness, far more road rage, far less patience, far less courtesy.

Do you NEVER break ANY law EVER???

I don't think so, certainly not knowingly.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:37

Originally posted by Floody Floody wrote:

I'm with Thepits all the way on his posts, Livvy, are you saying you have never been on a totaly empty m/way and gone over 70??? and on a rainy/thick fog/ thick traffic you would stay at 70??
Me (could get busted for this)!!! m/way dry, 4am 100 +
M/way thick fog,/ thick rain/snow/ice /heavy traffic,or road work's I'm the guy in the slow lane
speed limit's should be down to condition's not the road

Thanks Floody!

I've said it before - so I'll say it (yet!) again

Speed does NOT kill!

Inappropriate USE of speed DOES!

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:39

How come I NEVER EVER see a policecar on the motorway doing anything but sitting in a layby with the laser gun out?

You can pass the buck on "safety partnerships" but I don't ever see the police pulling people for anything other than speeding. I don't doubt that they do other things, but frankly the weight of my personal experience is that the police appear to be entirely focused on speed only.

So it's not freeing them up at all in my experience.

I see very few Police doing any speed enforcement at all. I do see Camera Partnerships, but not regular Police. I do see them running around to other stuff & dealing with collisions though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 29>
  Share Topic