Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedScamera poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 29>
Poll Question: Are scameras good for road safety ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.00%]
4 [8.00%]
44 [88.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:40

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

[QUOTE] Do you NEVER break ANY law EVER???
I don't think so, certainly not knowingly.

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Sponsored Links

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:43
Originally posted by Floody Floody wrote:

I'm with Thepits all the way on his posts,Livvy, are you saying you have never been on a totaly empty m/way and gone over 70??? and on a rainy/thick fog/ thick traffic you would stay at 70??
Me (could get busted for this)!!! m/way dry, 4am 100 +
M/way thick fog,/ thick rain/snow/ice /heavy traffic,or road work's I'm the guy in the in side lane
speed limit's should be down to condition's not the road

Where is everybody getting that I am saying you should always be driving at the limit irrespective of conditions ?

I am saying you shouldn't be above it irrespective of conditions.

You shoudl only be driving at a speed safe for the circumstances up to it. So in thick fog you certainly wouldn't be driving at the limit if vision didn't allow it. You should always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear on yoru side of the road.

If you drive at 100mph on the motorway at whatever time or conditions, then you are risking your licence & livelyhood if you rely on it. For me that would be madness.
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:45

Things have changed since they were introduced, far more cars on the road, far less tolerance, far more aggressiveness, far more road rage, far less patience, far less courtesy.

Why are these things not targeted? Why are people allowed to park in the middle lane for 50 miles down a motorway? Why aren't people at least lambasted for driving stupidly? How often do you see people who aren't even aware that an emergency vehicle with blues and two's is trying to get past them? Or anyone else for that matter?

You are correct: less tolerance, less courtesy, more aggro, less patience. Why? Because driving is deeply unpleasant: you pay the earth for rubbish roads and advertising campaigns that demonise you. You are monitored for a trivial infraction and penalised blindly and arbitrarily. No sign of any improvement in your lot appears anywhere. Lots of talk from politicians about making it even more draconian.

But it's OK. Stick up some more cameras. People will drive more slowly. That will fix everything.

(I'm hoping that if I say it enough I might start to believe it.)
Ciao,
Spokey

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:45

I drive over quite a bit of the country, I've been driving 22 years. I see very few Police doing any speed enforcement at all. I do see Camera Partnerships, but not regular Police. I do see them running around to other stuff & dealing with collisions though.

But don't care.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:46

Livvy

We need correct, applicable, and well placed sinage.

We do not have this in all cases now, we also have a lot of pc sinage, I often drive in wales, and welsh police officers I know recognise this problem, you have welsh/englsih, them english/welsh, then the two side by side variants.

You have a lot of incorrect sinage, speed limit signs with no background, with yellow , green, and even blue ( on A roads !)

You have speed limit signs which aren't speed limit signs, they look real but have black borders, after the area they are dealing with has finished, you then don't have another correct limit sign, how many people here know what a speed limit sign with a black border means ?

You have the highways agency at the end of speed limit roadworks putting road works end signs, but not returning you to the correct speed limit, when challenged they say you should know that the speed limit has changed as the road works have ended, then on another stretch of road you have a quarter of a mile after the road works have ended sign a speed limit sign returning you to nsl, and inbetween the two is a speed camera.

The big problem here is we have a lot of drivers who haven't kept themselves to at least dsa pass level, instead of addressing this in the correct way, they are attempting to dumb down the rest of us to that level via restrictions, .........we don't like it.

Best Wishes

Nigel

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:47

If you drive at 100mph on the motorway at whatever time or conditions, then you are risking your licence & livelyhood if you rely on it. For me that would be madness.
Even though the law is an ass?

Edited by thepits

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:48

Thanks Floody!

I've said it before - so I'll say it (yet!) again

Speed does NOT kill!

Inappropriate USE of speed DOES!

I agree and haven't said otherwise.

It is inappropriate speed that kills not speed itself.

But that doesn't mean you can decide on the appropraiteness of speed above our limits. Well actually you can because of persoanl choice, but in doing so you have to accept that you render yourself open to prosecution if caught & in knowing that it would be nobodies fault but your own if you were prosecuted.
Floody View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:48

I'm with Thepits all the way on his posts, Livvy, are you saying you have never been on a totaly empty m/way and gone over 70??? and on a rainy/thick fog/ thick traffic you would stay at 70?? Me (could get busted for this)!!! m/way dry, 4am 100 + M/way thick fog,/ thick rain/snow/ice /heavy traffic,or road work's I'm the guy in the slow lane speed limit's should be down to condition's not the road

Thanks Floody!

I've said it before - so I'll say it (yet!) again

Speed does NOT kill!

Inappropriate USE of speed DOES!

That " My Honour" is the case for the "Defence" Over to the prosecution?? and more money in the bank??????????
Mark E30 M3 RHD!!! now sold !!! still crying!!!!
E36 318 is in technoviolet, for sale
Thank's for the photo Coasting, Flood's on tour!
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:49

Even though the law is an ass? 

In your opinion, not in mine.

As I said you OR I can take the chance, but then we are the asses if we don't want to get caught.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:55

We will never agree on this!

The current speed limits as applied are stupid and a hang-over from bygone days.

Never-the-less they are the law, so the name of the game is.....

Don't get caught!

But don't care.
Floody View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:57
Come on livvy, lets get in the real word. I go down to Southampton from Durhan 5/6 time's a year to see my daughter. Sometimes I get away at 4/5am, in the summer me 100+,hit traffic down to 40/50, or even 30, if the nutter's are on the road, then if it's empty back to 100+, I like it think im a good driver. Speed limits should change according to conditons 4 am 100 4pm 40, let's get real

Edited by Floody
Mark E30 M3 RHD!!! now sold !!! still crying!!!!
E36 318 is in technoviolet, for sale
Thank's for the photo Coasting, Flood's on tour!
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 19:59
We need a tierd system of limits, depending on what licence you hold
Best Wishes

Nigel

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 20:02

I'm with Thepits all the way on his posts, Livvy, are you saying you have never been on a totaly empty m/way and gone over 70??? and on a rainy/thick fog/ thick traffic you would stay at 70?? Me (could get busted for this)!!! m/way dry, 4am 100 + M/way thick fog,/ thick rain/snow/ice /heavy traffic,or road work's I'm the guy in the slow lane speed limit's should be down to condition's not the road

Thanks Floody! I've said it before - so I'll say it (yet!) again Speed does NOT kill! Inappropriate USE of speed DOES!

That " My Honour" is the case for the "Defence" Over to the prosecution?? and more money in the bank??????????

Unfortunately Floody that is so right.

In the "good old days" if caught speeding (100mph at 3am on the M1) by a real Policeman there was a chance he would have used his discretion.

Cameras? no chance!

Computers??? Pah!!!!!!!!!!

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 20:03
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Livvy

We need correct, applicable, and well placed sinage.

We do not have this in all cases now, we also have a lot of pc sinage, I often drive in wales, and welsh police officers I know recognise this problem, you have welsh/englsih, them english/welsh, then the two side by side variants.

You have a lot of incorrect sinage, speed limit signs with no background, with yellow , green, and even blue ( on A roads !)

You have speed limit signs which aren't speed limit signs, they look real but have black borders, after the area they are dealing with has finished, you then don't have another correct limit sign, how many people here know what a speed limit sign with a black border means ?

You have the highways agency at the end of speed limit roadworks putting road works end signs, but not returning you to the correct speed limit, when challenged they say you should know that the speed limit has changed as the road works have ended, then on another stretch of road you have a quarter of a mile after the road works have ended sign a speed limit sign returning you to nsl, and inbetween the two is a speed camera.

The big problem here is we have a lot of drivers who haven't kept themselves to at least dsa pass level, instead of addressing this in the correct way, they are attempting to dumb down the rest of us to that level via restrictions, .........we don't like it.

If the signs are not to spec they are not enforceable so you have an outer if prosecuted, but even if they aren't to spec don't dismiss them they may hold valueable information to build into your driving plane.

Yes it is dumbing down, but you say yourself that peopel don't keep their skills upto date. Better than that we account for it with our limits.
Setting higher limits just means that those you have identified will drive at them because they don't think they are poor & that will increase danger. Better to have limits that all should be able to cope with hazards in rather than have them that only the best can & encourage those with less skill to travel at.

Speed may not be the major factor in most collisions, but reducing it could be a major factor in reducing collisions, because it gives people that golden nugget *time*. Time to cover their other inadequacies & aboid the collision. Speed just serves to exaggerate those inadequacies instead.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 20:04

We need a tiered system of limits, depending on what licence you hold

Elucidate oh wise one!

But don't care.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 20:05
So taitors to those of us that bother to keep our skills up then ?
Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Thanks Floody! I've said it before - so I'll say it (yet!) again Speed does NOT kill! Inappropriate USE of speed DOES!

Unfortunately Floody that is so right.

In the "good old days" if caught speeding (100mph at 3am on the M1) by a real Policeman there was a chance he would have used his discretion.

Cameras? no chance!

Computers??? Pah!!!!!!!!!!

Cameras are actually set in line with ACPO guidelines, so they are infact set to prosecute at speeds which the Assosciation Of Chief Police Officers decree is the minimum for which action should be taken.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Cameras are not set in line with apco guidelines....do you have access to the IAM forum Livvy ?

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 20:06

So taitors to those of us that bother to keep our skills up then ?

No, you will benefit from the extra safety zone that your skills create for you. Those skills don't mean that you can speed.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 20:07

people don't keep their skills up to date. Better than that we account for it with our limits.
Setting higher limits just means that those you have identified will drive at them because they don't think they are poor & that will increase danger. Better to have limits that all should be able to cope with hazards in rather than have them that only the best can & encourage those with less skill to travel at.
  Wrong - better to make people improve there skills, why do we always want to dumb down??

Speed may not be the major factor in most collisions, but reducing it could be a major factor in reducing collisions, because it gives people that golden nugget *time*. Time to cover their other inadequacies & aboid the collision. Speed just serves to exaggerate those inadequacies instead.
could be ??

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 29>
  Share Topic