Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone help with ICE Upgrade in E46

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone help with ICE Upgrade in E46
    Posted: 27-June-2003 at 23:11

Hi all,

I have just bought a 2003 325 Coupe with standard ICE (BMW Business head unit, BMW 6 disc changer and std speakers).

I'm not hugely impressed with the sound achieved with this setup and was wondering if anyone could advise me on what was possible to improve sound quality whilst retaining the BMW head unit.

Does the BMW business head unit have pre-out feeds for an amplifier (i guess it must have in order to supply the HK upgrade amp which BMW do as an option) and if so, is this cabled up to the boot space or would i have to run my own cabling ?

If i do require to be doing any additinal cabling, how do you remove the head unit ?

Any info or help gratefully received, thanks,

Stephen

Sponsored Links

Tesh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2003 at 08:32

I understand that the BMW Business head unit does not have pre-outs on earlier models, but HK systems and later models (i think after late 2001) some were fitted with a basic amp in the boot... take a look by pulling panels off in the boot to see if you have an amp.

Anyway, best bet for best sound is to replace head unit, get an amp or two and some new better comps for the front doors...

I just replaced my front comps with DLS R5 comps and Dynamatted the door cards... what a big improvement on std sound.. just waiting till I can afford the right amp and will add that, possibly with my Alpine CD/mp3 unit...

atsutakeda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2003 at 09:27

I would doubt very much that the headunit has preouts. It is more likely that the HK set up uses an amp with speaker level inputs.

Sticking to the original headunit will restrict the sound quality. No matter how good the rest of the system is, if the sound source isnt good, you will never fulfil its full potential.

Just by fitting a decent aftermarket headunit, as Tesh has done, will bring an improvement in sound - especially as all Alpine MP3 units have 60wx4 power, compared to 25 or 30w of the original.  If you are worried about losing the steering wheel control, I dont know about other manufacturers but Alpine do an adapter to fit their headunits.

Speakers - be careful with choice, as the space inside the doors is fairly shallow.

If you really want to stick with the OEM headunit, fit an amp with speaker level inputs, and change the speakers. Dynamat sound deadning will improve the Bass a bit more too.

Tesh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2003 at 10:00

atsutakeda, I see you put that alpine units have 4x60w output, this is max output at high THD - The actual power of these units is around 15w RMS at below 1% THD - A decent amp will give you in the region of 30+ Watts RMS at less then 0.1% THD so aftermarket amp is a very good idea, especially if you have decent speakers, otherwise distortion will damage your speakers, not too much volume...

On Couple / Convertible models, the mounting depth is around 60mm - most 5.25" speakers will fit, some 6.5" will fit too and give much better mid/bass... Look at top brands like DLS, Diamond Audio, JL, a/d/s, DynAudio etc...

Tesh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2003 at 10:05

atsutakeda, I see you put that the Alpine units have 4x60Watts - this is max power and at very high THD... best to get a amp otherwise you will damage your speakers, since the head unit can only output around 10-15w RMS at minimal distortion levels... Even a bad aftermarket amp will provide around 25-30w RMS at like 0.1% THD.. the internal amps in there head units provide around 15w at 1% THD... Distortion is what will kill your speakers in the end

When mounting comps in the front doors, the Coupe and Convertibles have around 60mm mounting depth, but best to stick to around 55mm max... so most good 5.25" speakers will fit, but try to go for 6.5" if you can so you get a better mid/bass.... Go for quality brands such as DLS, Diamond Audio, DynAudio, JL Audio, a/d/s etc...

atsutakeda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2003 at 11:04

Tesh, you are absolutely right. But despite fanciful O/P wattage claimed by all manufacturers, it doesnt change the fact that the 60Wx4 headunits are the most powerful on the market, and is a lot more powerful than the OEM headunit. Its a good starting point, and with efficient speakers it is more than adequate for most users without distorting the speakers. Of course, as you upgrade, the 3x4V preouts will serve well - and the fact that you can switch off the internal amp.

Me, I use separate amps as well, despite having a 4x"45W" headunit.

Tesh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2003 at 11:41

Yes, the "Power IC off" feature is very useful... can I ask what your current set-up is - what car you got.. I have a E46 320Ci Convertible.. just installed the DLS R5A speakers in the front doors.. not changed the head unit yet, but had these speakers, alpine amp and Diamond Audio sub in my previous 323iSE saloon before, hance still got the Alpine 7893 Head unit at home... Just that I prefer the look of std system

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2003 at 20:53
just installed alpine mp3 cd and changer for much better sound ,problem is i have the h/k upgrade and the amp in the boot behind the left /nearside cover under the changer unit is making my head unit sound sh*tttty, mine is a 325ci 2002 model , my mate has the same car and he also has a amp in the boot in the same place but he does not have h/k , so i dont understand . i was told only h/k have a amp ,well 2 but ime ignoring the subs amp under the parcel shelf. it would be best to check first yourself as i asked my local only to be told it didnt have one , and it does.
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
techno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 14:06

I have just bought a E46 320d touring, what a fantastic car, execpt for the ice. I am going to upgrade the speaker as a matter of urgency, I will worry about the head unit sometime next year.

I would like some advice on what speakers to fit in the front doors and in the rear side panels plus what size the standard ones are? Also how do you take of the front door panels? I have never removed a door panel with an airbag in.

Many thanks

Tony

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 16:49

I would suggest speaking to a good Car Hifi shop. They will be able to advice you what is best for your car/budget/listen preference. Mind you be warned some shops recomend what they have in stock rather than what is best. I recomend you see a couple of shops before you come to any decision.

One of the best upgrades is to just add a sub and amp. This will mean that you can take the bass away from the other speaker in the car enabling them to perform better, and allowing the sub to deal with the low frequencies.

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 18:44

ok guys !

for ur fronts , u can go for neodynium components or coaxials . neo is a lightweight alternative to the standard magnets , it is ten times more powerfull wich means they can be made smaller , meaning the mounting depths on most models are around half what the old ferrite  items were.

as for the rears go for a set similar to the front but dont use the tweeters  as you will confuse the sound staging in the car by adding too much rear fill . 

for the low frequencys use a ten or twelve inch woofer in a sealed box, again if you opt for a neo item you will be saving a considerable amount of weight  and will be able to use a smaller box  aswell .

for powering the speakers , try and use a single footprint . ( one amp )

it will save on space and of course wiring !  if you power the rear fill off the head unit  you will only need a 3 channel amp ,

now the important bit which shops never tell you !! JUST BECAUSE ITS MORE EXPENSIVE , IT DUZNT MEAN IT HAS TO BE BETTER !! which means dont buy something just for the brand !

i would tell you what i think is the best kit but i,d be biased as im sponsored by a couple of companys  and it might be said that im not being fair on other brands .

as for the head unit , forget about power outputs of speaker outs if your gna use an amp , concentrate on finding a QUALITY  unit with 4 volt pre outs . if you audition units on the same system you will be amazed at the difference betwen them all , it all comes down to personal preference and your idea of what you think sounds good !

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 18:50

if ur wondering about my qulifications in audio click this

http://www.qxseries.com/qx-coole.htm

the title may give it away

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 20:02
Originally posted by daddy cool daddy cool wrote:

if ur wondering about my qulifications in audio click this

http://www.qxseries.com/qx-coole.htm

the title may give it away

My word you must be def by now. That is one serious system. That would knock a building down. I know who to ask for future upgrades on my system.

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 02:48

PARDON

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
techno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 11:52

Blimey, that's one hell of a system. A little bit OTT for me.

Daddy Cool, thanks for the info. I visited a dealer (no not drugs) who did not know what size the front and rear speakers were, said he would have to take of the trim to find out and of course he would have to charge me for that. My reaction was bye bye. What is the standard size for front and rear and what is the max size I can replace them with? The one thing I do not want to do is cut any holes in the trim, I might though replace the current speaker grills with speaker fabric.

You mention neodynium in your post, never heard of that type, who makes that type of speaker?

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 16:57

Typical dealer

most manufacturers have a fitting guideline book that can tell you what size fits where. i hate to say it but the easiest way to find the exact size is from halfords . it will be in there books and listed in millimeters instead of inches .  i woud have thought a 6.5 inch would be around the size you are looking at .   as far as size is concerned it wont really make to much difference if it has a 5 or 6 , simply because you wont be using the speakers to provide the low end if ur gna use a sub .

i wouldnt recomend cutting panels at all as it simply wouldnt make enough difference to justify it ( unless you wanted to fit multiple speakers for ear pearcing midrange and treble )

a lot of manufacturers are starting to produce a line of neo speakers , from kenwood , maystar, dls ,pioneer etc . unfortunatly they are a little more expensive at the moment simply because they are relativly new. i believe the maystar items are around £60 and others can be as much as £300 which i find crazy for a pair of midrange .

im gna fone adam rayner in a moment to wish him a merry xmas so i will ask him which manufacturer he found the best in his last test , that way i wont give u a prejudiced opinion !!

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic