Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbmw 316i are they any good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 17:30
size 13 feet which is not a problem could drive barefoot or amputationis always an option  i wouldn't care at all can you get them with leather though couldn't see any with it want good spec on it or what e30  could i canabalise to get the leather seats  
Sponsored Links

techno violet View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 20:39

Welcome to the forum vinny and good luck with your e30 search.If i were you id book a trip across the pond,and pick yourself up a mint 316i.It will be easier to pick up a mint 2 door 316 e30 than say a 325 sport as they are far more plentiful.My advice would be to steer well clear of one that has been tarted up,as good as it might look,chances are it will have been abused.Get yourself a totally original but mint sub 100k 316 with full history if you can for the right money and you'll be laughing.You can then do your mods after.Cut out the middle man,there are plenty of lads going from here to the uk to bring back cars like this to turn a couple of grand profit on.And if you get a good one and look after it for a couple of years,there's no reason why you cant get back what you paid for it,or even more

E36 323i coupe,E30 325sport.

gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2005 at 03:35

As the current owner of Killian's 1989 320 and knowing Denis Hogan, I have driven both a 316 and a 320 at a track day. The lighter engine in the nose of the 316 gives a clearer turn in to corners so the lack of cc's do not spoil the fun. The best compromise is probably is the 318is as BP318is will confirm.

PS look for the rust where Denis said, even down to the footwells. Everything else is cheap and easy to replace

Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2005 at 04:26
m40 engine in the 316 can also be quite tappety. this wont affect performance but can be annoying.

If the engine is tappety and you want to fix the prob you will need to budget for around €400-€500
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2005 at 05:33
Mrs D gave up a company S40 when changing jobs for a '90 316i auto and she loved it.  In fact she still hasn't forgiven me for giving her my old A4 2.6 V6 Avant to replace it.  The A4 has now been replaced with an e36 316i and she is happy again.

The e30 was a hoot, as Denis said.  Not huge amounts of power, but razor sharp handling and a joy to drive.  In everday motoring you won't feel at a loss because they are also a fairly light car by modern standards.

It has been mentioned, but is worth repeating, rust and cooling (and the after effects of not cooling!) are the things to watch for.  As well as the points mentioned, check the front bulkhead and beneath the front windscreen (I've heard, but not seen) that on a bad one you can see right through from behind the glovebox to the engine bay and road).  The rear arches are also a weak point.  As well as the obvious external metal, have a good look under the arches and run your fingers along the inner lip.  There are still cars out there that are perfect (my old 325i was an example) but they are getting harder to find.

The cooling end of things is the main mechanical thing to watch for.  The viscous coupling for the fan can fail and the cars can overheat, resulting in a warped head and gasket failure.  In severe cases it can also cause the block to crack.

With a lot of miles, the valve gear can get a bit rattly but I don't think this is too much of a worry if the rest of the car is fine.

Personally I'd avoid any that have been lowered or had anything larger than 15" wheels because the cars already have a tendency to go through bushes, ball joints and track rod ends (fairly routine and not too expensive to replace) and bearings car take a beating from the larger wheels too.

There are a good few things to watch for, but the youngest cars are now approaching 15 years old so that's par for the course.  If you find a nice one they are great fun and a great introduction to BMW.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
What’s this title thing about then?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2005 at 06:40
Just found a photo of my 3 that'll give you an idea of what to look for in the rust departmentJust click on the photos to make them bigger.

Fortunately I have it parked up in a nice dry shed until I manage to save up a bit of cash to get the few jobs done to it!
vinny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2005 at 07:29

cheers for the pointers and thanks a million for being so helpful with this hopefully going to make the move over as soon as possible cheers!

Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2005 at 08:05

Vinny - have a trawl through the 3 series technical forum; you'll get a lot of info there.

Alternatively, ask one of the mods to link this thread over there.

Bopsy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 06:48

Not trying to advertise any other sites, but take a look at this site in the cars for sale section in the forum part. Lots of cars and all reasonably priced and normally really well kept

www.e30zone.co.uk

Bopsy!
Grahame_Vincent View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 06:52
I had a 1985 (B) E30 316 back in 1997 and it was a great car. Like Rhys it was the 1.6 Carb version. It had done over 100k when I bought it and I never had any problems with it, very reliable.....

Edited by Grahame_Vincent
Grahame
2004 E46 325Ci Sport Coupe, Silver Grey with Black Leather and M Sports Pack II.
Used to own:-
1995 E38 730i V8, Black, 18" Fox RS3's, Custom Tint Glass, with Silver Leather
1985 E30 316 Black
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=1066854
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 06:58

Vinny - look at a 318is too. My girlfriend bought a 316i then progressed up to a 318is and the insurance only went up €50!

On the e30zone there are always someone selling a 316i or a 318i for little money.

Happy hunting.

John

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic