Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat type of Police service????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 06:52

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Average number of homicides per 100,000 population 2000-2002

England & Wales 1.76

Does that include irresponsible speeding drivers?

Only where it falls within the definition of homicide I'd imagine.

Really? I thought all people who exceeded the speed limit were homicidal maniacs.

You know that isn't true Spokey. Stop being silly.

While I disagree pathalogically with the current stance on speeding

It has nothing whatsoever to do with murder

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 09:23

In response to Livvy's "what do the public want" question:

Well, what I want (as a member of the public) is:
1. The police to enforce the law, not create the law
2. The police to respond to a report of a crime within a reasonable length of time
3. The police to treat suspects with respect..especially of their human rights..and courtesy
4. For The police to understand that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, not vice versa.
5. The police to actually offer a service that entails catching criminals (real criminals..people who steal, injure or kill others, not those who provide a source of cheap income through punative fines).
6. The police to behave above board, transparently and honestly
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 09:48
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

HIs visa to stay in this country had expired, so he is an illegal immigrant !

If he doesn't understand the words " armed police stop", then tough , harsh but true.

So that's fine then?

I hope you remember when you go to (say) Czech Republic that when a person in plain clothes charges after you yelling in Czech and brandishing a gun, you stand still and wait for him to get to you!

Seems that the fact he was innocent AND was shot, nonetheless, is the best reason ever NOT to arm all police in the UK

1987 E30 M3
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 11:47
1. What laws have the Police created ?
2. I agree, but a degree of realism is required here given the limited number of resources & the number of calls Police receive. They will have to be prioritised.
3. I agree, both victims & alleged offenders deserve to be treated with respect & dignity.
4. Police don't decide innocence or guilt though so they can't do that anyway. Courts decide it.
5. The vast majority of Police resources are of course targeted towards that. Very few are used for punative fines issue (as you put it) & of course Police get no money from the issue of them anyway.
6. I agree.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 12:01
1. The one that says "we can seize your property, without valid reason, refuse to tell you why it is being held, when or if you will get it back and if you want to complain...tough!
2. So it is OK for someone to vandalise my van...I ring up and report it, even saying the paint is wet and I can be reasonably sure who commited the crime...they say they are too busy to attend and I have to go to the station to report it and receive a reference number....So I park my van in the road, blocking it to all traffic (at 2.30am) and within 10mins a patrol car with 2 officers are round threatening to arrest me unless it is moved (and I was tempted to take them up on their offer).
3. good...now we have to get the police to understand that
4.Then why do they automatically assume that you (or me) are guilty FIRST even in the face of all evidence and then, when it is proved beyond ALL doubt they were wrong, they refuse to even apologise for massive inconvenience and costs?
5. <Cough> Hmmm...not sure I agree....There seems to be no end of police available to ensure a few drunks don't fall over and hurt themselves on Friday nights, but never enough police to prevent, or even catch, the burglars around at the same time of night.
6. Good...shame they don't though

PS: I have (personal) examples of all of these...and I'm a pretty law-abiding person on the whole!

Edited by Fushion Julz
1987 E30 M3
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 15:41
1. The Police only have power to seize under our countries laws (none made up by the Police, but by governemnt or common law). If they have acted outside this then you have recourse through the courts yourself.

2. It's not OK for someone to damage your van.
Unfortunately a hunch is not great evidence against someone.
Without a suspect being present at the time of your call for criminal damage to a motorvehicle, I can't see a unit being immeadiately deployed under the 999 system. In such circumstances it may actually get seen sooner going to the Police station rather than waiting for them to attend. If you do park illegally blocking access immeadiately outside a Police station that is a good way of getting Police attention I'd imagine, but perhaps not the type you want.

3. They do, as of course there are discipline regulations to deal with such things.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 15:46
4. Their job is to investigate & if sufficient evidence to prefer a charge to do just that. The courts job is to decide if there is sufficient evidence to convict. Our system isn't actually about determining innocence or guilt, it's about can the state prove beyond all reasonable doubt that you committed the offence, which isn't actually the same thing. Innocence is never on trial.

5. Most burglaries happen during the daytime, not Friday nights.
The highest numbers of Police on duty will also be during the day.
The sort of Policing you are talking about sounds like Public order, not issuing punitive fines but preventing & detecting violence (assaults) & vandalism (susch as damage to vehicles). Infact the sort of things you said the Police should be doing & which you were yourself a victim of.

6. I believe that there is probably less corruption & greater transparency now than at any other time.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 16:50

6. I believe that there is probably less corruption & greater transparency now than at any other time.

It's amazing.

If it wasn't such a clear night with a full moon, I'd never have seen that pig flying by my window in the dark.
Ciao,
Spokey

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 16:53

It's amazing.

If it wasn't such a clear night with a full moon, I'd never have seen that pig flying by my window in the dark.

Spokey I really have to back Livvy up on this one, I wouldn't want to serve now.

Best Wishes

Nigel

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 17:33

It's amazing.

oh look there's a huge flock of them ........

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 18:55

1. The Police only have power to seize under our countries laws (none made up by the Police, but by governemnt or common law). If they have acted outside this then you have recourse through the courts yourself.

well they did...and still have about £5K worth of my kit...the charges (such as they were), against 3rd parties, have been thrown out by the magistrates and the police still won't return the equipment! Courts are all well and good IF you have the available cash to pay for the solicitors AND you think it is OK for the police to waste public funds in this manner, too.

2. It's not OK for someone to damage your van.
Unfortunately a hunch is not great evidence against someone.
Without a suspect being present at the time of your call for criminal damage to a motorvehicle, I can't see a unit being immeadiately deployed under the 999 system. In such circumstances it may actually get seen sooner going to the Police station rather than waiting for them to attend. If you do park illegally blocking access immeadiately outside a Police station that is a good way of getting Police attention I'd imagine, but perhaps not the type you want.

didn't call 999, but the local number (actually a call centre, ffs)...I blocked a residential one-way road, outside my house in the middle of the night 2 miles from the nearest police station

3. They do, as of course there are discipline regulations to deal with such things.

great...now how do we actually get the police, the ipcc and the govt to actually instigate the procedure and regulations?
Ahh...court, of course...those $$$$s again....
1987 E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 19:08

4. Their job is to investigate & if sufficient evidence to prefer a charge to do just that. The courts job is to decide if there is sufficient evidence to convict. Our system isn't actually about determining innocence or guilt, it's about can the state prove beyond all reasonable doubt that you committed the offence, which isn't actually the same thing. Innocence is never on trial.

I was referring to the manner in which the police deal with people in everyday life and situations. IME, police generally choose to take the "you're guilty, therefore you forfeit all your rights" rather than the "you might be innocent and have a valid point" line

The legal system is, generally, the failsafe that ensures the police can't just lock you up and throw away the key...Although, given the Mets' preference for 90day detention, that is still up for change!

5. Most burglaries happen during the daytime, not Friday nights.
The highest numbers of Police on duty will also be during the day.
The sort of Policing you are talking about sounds like Public order, not issuing punitive fines but preventing & detecting violence (assaults) & vandalism (susch as damage to vehicles). Infact the sort of things you said the Police should be doing & which you were yourself a victim of.

well I was referring, in this case, to not just me, but a spate of burglaries a while back in the area I live in. Yes, I was burgled...as was a friend of mine (on the same night) and several neighbours on successive nights (all in two streets)...The local area officer (a young, seemingly overworked and sole policeman) explained that, although he know beyond doubt who the protagonists were, the resources were not available to either catch them, deter them or to recover the goods..despite knowing the empty house they were using as a staging post.
The reason he gave (and the "scenes of crimes" officer confirmed) was that the town centre policing...all those big corporate companies needing their windows protecting...took precedence over the house-thieves...

Of course there is no "agenda" (right)..only I believe that the boss of a large computer company has a bit more "clout" with the chief inspector than I or my friend has....
Nowadays, though, I'm sure the police hardly need "prompting" to attend a pub where the drunks on the pavement can be "fined" (taxed) a nifty £80 on the spot!

On which planet?

Edited by Fushion Julz
1987 E30 M3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic