Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTramlining

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2003 at 12:05
Pikey, the alloy is not issue - its the tyre profile (and width) as Sohlman suggests.

Here's the explanation:

When change up in wheel size, the profile (or sidewalls) of the tyre reduces (to keep the over diameter the same). As a result, the sidewalls are stiffer.

So, what does a tyre do? In the most simplest scenario, it supports the weight of the car. The weight is borne partially by the sidewalls and partially by the air acting on the central thread.

With stiffer sidewalls, they take proportionaly more of the weight of the car. Therefore they will wear the edges of the thread.

To compensate, the air pressure is increased to transfer more of the load into the central thread.

The general rule is that as sidewalls get lower and stiffer the air pressure needs to rise to equalise the spread of load across the full width of the tyre.

You can also see that if the profile stays the same but the width changes then the same is true. With an increase width, the contact area with the ground becomes more elongated in a left-right direction. This increases the pressure at the edge of the thread.

The central area will have a slightly increased contact area with the ground but with the same force upon it, so it does a little less work. Again, more air pressure is needed to make the centre of the tyre support more of the load.

This is then effected by suspension geometry and design/compound of different tyres.
Sponsored Links

Ian M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2003 at 15:00

Just been to the local dealer with my year-old 320d Touring (200 yards away - a lucky side-effect of switching to BMW) and he reckons it's had new suspension arms as they look v squeaky clean - and that they've not been aligned correctly, as the (new) tyres are wearing on the outer edge.

He reckons it's got too much toe-in, whereas I'd thought toe-out was more likely to make it inclined to turn too easily, but hey the upshot is it needs wheel alignment checking and I've just got to persuade the dealer I bought it from 3 weeks ago (closer to 200 miles away - well, 130 at least) to cough up.

Ian

PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2003 at 17:54

Oh this is getting technical!

Pikey

Old enough to know better, too young to care!
Ian M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2003 at 09:50

Well, mine had its wheel balancing (didn't work the first time as front tyres had been so worn down they couldn't get a fix, so had to rebook and confirm that the dealer I bought from would give me new tyres too) - but still not right.

It doesn't actually go off-line by itself any more, but whenever the road surface has any imperfections the steering lightens and wobbles so that it's very easy to accidentally direct it off course (but if left alone it does in fact keep going straight ahead); and under acceleration or braking on a poor road surface again it all just feels wobbly - without actually taking itself off-course.

Suspect it's going to have to go back for another check... but any ideas?

Ian

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2003 at 03:05
Humm worn/loose steering rack, control arm bushes, and knackered shocks can cause the symptoms you describe mate.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
Ian M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2003 at 11:20

Well, the lower front suspension arms have been replaced (I think that's what they said) and there's no play in the steering generally; on a lovely smooth road surface it seems fine, but on a dodgy road surface it comes over all wobbly - at high motorway speeds and slow town speeds alike.

Having had a wheel alignment once I guess I probably need to get someone from the dealership out with me to see what they think...

Ian

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2003 at 13:33
Ian, if you find out what the problem is I would be interested to know. My E36 has a similar problem, although it only shows up on very poorly surfaced roads.   
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
STEVE328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Club member, North East Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2003 at 21:17
Mine too. I just put it down to wide tyres.(225x50ZR16)

1996 N Montreal blue 328i saloon 45k / 01 Y Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2003 at 21:34
Originally posted by Santos.L.Helper Santos.L.Helper wrote:

Mine too. I just put it down to wide tyres.(225x50ZR16)

Thats the answer! Wide tyres!!

That's not too technical for us - is it PikeyM3? We can cope with that, can't we?
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
ian332isport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2003 at 13:52

Just to get back to the difference a tyre can make.

I have 215/40/17 tyres on the front of my car (and the back for that matter ). I have used a couple of sets of Bridgestone SO3's now, and as much as I like them, they did used to tramline like crazy. I was advised to try the new Goodyear F1 GSD3 to cure (or at least reduce) the tramlining problem.

Now I have the Goodyears fitted (same size, same pressures etc). The tramlining has virtually dissapeared. This just goes to show that different tyres of the same size can indeed make a big difference.

Cheers,

Ian.

If it ain't broke, Modify it!!
Wired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2003 at 15:16

Use same width tyre all round, what width are your rims? I use 235/40 on an 8x17". Dunlop SP9000 Sports are good tyres for a 2.8, I use 'em wid no probs. The end.

Ian M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2003 at 16:49

Well, had a road test with a BMW technician yesterday and couldn't find anything wrong except tyre pressures, which were too high (34/39 psi f/r on std 16" wheels - should be 31/37 apparently). Does make a difference, but suspect that was exacerbating rather than creating the problem.

But they took it up on the ramps and checked the suspension bushings for wear and there isn't any, no play in the steering, full wheel alignment all done. It does run straight, so I don't think there's anything knocked out of place; but just steering wheel rocks over bumps (before returning to straightahead OK), steering lightens up on bad roads at any speed, making it easier to steer off course accidentally; and whole car feels wobbly when braking on rougher surfaces.

Running out of ideas... the only thing is when they talked me through the wheel alignment they didn't actually specify what the castor was and should have been and had been adjusted to etc, unlike the camber and toe-in which were causing the obvious problem. So I wonder if this got overlooked? Anyone know if it would be a likely cause of this sort of problem?

Ian

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 11:06
I'd argue that 31psi on the *front* is way too low (37-39psi sounds more like it, especially if you are getting understeer) - but I'd agree that this is exacerbating rather than creates the problem.

However, as many have said, there may be nothing wrong - its just a characteristic of your tyres/wheels.
Ian M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2003 at 15:03

OK, back to the garage again last week. New technician reckons it's a characteristic and he's had 5 or 6 customers notice it. Well maybe it is but I must say I hope mine's worse than most, because I can't believe BMW 3-series would keep on winning every single group test in any magazine if they all wobbled like mine does when the road gets bumpy!

As stated before, I've only got 16" wheels on there, and the steering wheel kicks back and forth in your hands over bumps even though the car still does end up going straight.

Still wondering about the castor, although maybe the tyres (Dunlop SP2000) aren't helping? Presumably some tyres might be more likely to be affected by bumps, eg. stiff sidewalls might make them deflect more readily?

Ian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2003 at 17:19

Ian, I have spoken to several other E36 owners and they have had similar experience. On my vehicle the trait only shows up when you hit a pothole, some badly damaged tarmac or the road is just generally bumpy. It does mean that there are some roads round where I live that I just don't drive fast along any more as its just not enjoyable. I thought the same thing as you, but I guess its just because on the continent the roads are a lot better.

My last car was a Nissan Primera SRI and even with the sports suspension the ride quality was better than my BMW, although it was on 185/65/14s!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2003 at 12:14

I should have finished of my last post by saying that this trait may be the price you pay for having such comunicative steering. I have never driven a car that provides you with so much information about the road surface and levels of grip availible. The fact that it puts me off thrashing down roads with pot holes and poor surfaces is to be honest probably a good thing. Crashing through potholes can't be good for the suspension and if the surface is poor then the way any car will behave can become unpredictable which is dangerous.

As for tramlining, any car on 225 tyres is going to do this.

Ed J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2003 at 09:37
Ian

Don't worry too much about the car, my experience is it's all down to the tyres. It's a shame we can't test drive a new tyre before we buy them !!

Ed
Ant318is View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2003 at 16:52
O.K. then guys, on the subject of tyres,the handling on my car is slightly annoying from time to time having fitted 18s. My car is fitted with Conti-sport contact 2s all round,approx 50% tread left. Now i dont think its down to the width which is 225s , because I had 225s fitted on my 16s and they were fine. So I think it must be down to a combination of things,suspension ,bushes etc. But as my car has only done 40k so I dont think there should be to much wrong here. So the only other thing to try is tyres,which I want to do now. I am thinking of fitting Uniroyal Rainsports,as I have read good reviews about them. Any of you guys got them fitted? if so whats the feedback?. Or if any of you have changed tyres and felt a definite improvement,what tyre did you fit?
Ants318is
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 19:43
I agree that tyres make a big, big difference. I changed all four on the M5 recently from Bridgestone S02's (great tyres but did tramiling) to Falkens and immediately the difference was like night and day. Oh yes...exactly the same spec tyres 245/40 R 18.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
STEVE328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Club member, North East Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 20:50
245? They sound expensive.

1996 N Montreal blue 328i saloon 45k / 01 Y Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic