FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedmy new Car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: my new Car
    Posted: 25-November-2005 at 13:14

Just bought a black 323ise saloon today 1 owner FSH 120000 miles and i love it. Goes and sounds much better than the compact. So i  was wondering if you lot had any opinions on what to do next. Should i go for styling or power mods. Ive still got the compact untill its sold, then ill have some of the cash from the sale of it, to do these enhancements. If anyones got any ideas wheres the best place up here to get 'stuff' done.

Cheers

Robson

Sponsored Links

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 14:48
Congratulations.

Forget any power mods. If you want more power you should have got the 328. Concentrate on the styling aspect if that's your bag.

If you really want to make the most of your new cars performance, put your money into a performance driving course. Trust me, you won't believe how much more you can get out of a car and be a lot safer driver into the bargain.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

E46ACS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 15:28

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

If you really want to make the most of your new cars performance, put your money into a performance driving course. Trust me, you won't believe how much more you can get out of a car and be a lot safer driver into the bargain.

One word..... CROFT!!!!  Get it booked!!!

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavours last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 15:56

Styling mods?  Pleaseeeeeee don't chav it up.  Please.

Leave it as it is, just get it looking like new.  It has much more impact.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Grahame_Vincent View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2005 at 09:24

Congratulations Robson on your purchase..... Have you got some Pic's??

Grahame
2004 E46 325Ci Sport Coupe, Silver Grey with Black Leather and M Sports Pack II.
Used to own:-
1995 E38 730i V8, Black, 18" Fox RS3's, Custom Tint Glass, with Silver Leather
1985 E30 316 Black
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=1066854
Robson3022 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2005 at 19:51

Modding i was thinking of putting an f1 spoiler, a one off body kit, colour coded interior 22 inch crome spinners a pimp my ride you might say.............................only kidding. No by styling i meant bmw alloys, m tec bumper, suble boot spoiler etc keeping everything BMW IMO i think that non bmw parts look tacky on BMWs. As for engine mods i would have love to have bought a 328 but cant afford the insurance. Id heard of some of the lads with 323s getting to around 200 bhp with throttle bodies, exaust system chip and remap and wondered if anyone here had done it. I will put some pics up when i take some and can work out how to.

Coasting i think your car could do with some pimp my ride mods orange flip paint, spinners go crazy dude it ill be off the hook dog lol

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 05:10
Trouble with modding the engine is you have to tell your insurance co. & they don't like anybody messing with their neat pigeon hole system so it's likely to cost you more than if you'd bought a 328.

It's not the throttle bodies that need changing, it's the inlet manifold. Both the 328 & 323 are strangled down to meet German insurance break points of 2.8 litres/193bhp. Both Audi & Mecedes did the same.

Just enjoy the car as it is, save your money & put it towards a 328 (or a 330!) when you change.
AndyS

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 10:21
The same goes for modfying the bodywork of course - and changing the wheels.  Any modifications that are an permanent fixture to the car need reporting to insurers - otherwise you're uninsured....

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 10:29
..even changing to an induction kit would affect the insurance, one insurance company wouldn't even touch my old E30 320i when I put one on.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
The-Bear View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
BMW...all cars are not created equal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 12:30
I'd say live with your motor for a while don't be hasty to change it. There are lots of options available for it so learn as much as you can about them before you dive in. I fancy a Hartge upgrade for my 330, I've read its the business ! Enjoy driving and getting admiring glances...like I do

2002 E46 330i Club Sport Auto in Estoril Blue
Drew21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2005 at 10:14

having worked a lot with insurance companies in the past, the small claims ususlly get through without anybody really looking too hard, ie for the small stuff no-one is really going to care about modded induction kits, performance cams and the like. However, if your claim hits a certain limit then you suddenly become fair game for all sorts of invesitgation work, the slightest excuse that they think a court would go for and they will invalidate your claim and your policy.

This leaves you up a certain creek!!

Of course they do this for sound financial reasons to protect their interests. Their interests clash most with yours when the claim is large, ie when you really need your ins company to be on your side, ie you've just collided with a ferrari or such like....

Robson3022 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2005 at 14:04

Been in touch with insurance and there shouldnt be a problem with exterior mods wheels etc as long as i let them know. So ive bought a clear lights set m3 rear lights an m3 spoiler. Thinking of some 17" alpinas, a ss exaust and lowering it. Anyone got any suggestions on lowering kits. I want to be able to have a full car without rubbing. Also SS exausts love the sound of the straight six and want something to complement it. Not too loud at low revs so on long jorneys it wont do my head in.

This ice is a bit hairy by the way bin looking out the wrong window to go forwards far too much. Good fun though

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2005 at 06:07
There is a website for E36 fans, www.e36.net or similar. They should be able to advise.

I wouldn't go over 40mm for a drop, 35mm should be fine.  Remember as the ride height drops the ride gets stiffer & traction suffers. Great on a smooth race track but not on UK roads. You're only going forwards if the wheels are in contact with the road!

AndyS

billgates e30 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2005 at 12:07
the site andy is thinking of is

http://www.e36coupe.com
Bill Gates aka Chris

BMW Club NE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic