Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFRONT WHEEL SHAKE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: FRONT WHEEL SHAKE
    Posted: 29-November-2002 at 22:44
I have an '86 M535i. Can anyone tell me why I'm getting quite violent wheel shake while accellerating at approximately 45/50mph and also then when braking? I have read that worn front struts can cause this but I fitted new ones last year so assume this cannot be the cause. Any advice would be most welcome.
Sponsored Links

JamesE30 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2002 at 18:13

Vaun,

I can't understand why you get this under accleration but wheel shake under braking can sometimes be the result of warped discs, something the M535 is a little prone too. 

On another note, it could be a result of worn front end steering components or lower trailing arm bushes.  Do you get any play when you jack the front of the car up and shake the front wheels? 

Hope this is of some help,

James
BMW E30 327i
BMW E30 318is
BMW E34 518iSE
Nigel Marston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2002 at 17:55

Vaun

I've had an M535i for the last 10 years as well as other E28s and have experienced most problems.  I agree with what James E30 says above and often the problem can be caused by more than one fault.

I would suggest that your problem is one (or more) or the below:

1. Wheels out of balance

2. Buckled wheel

3. Damaged or unevenly worn tyre

4. Worn ball joints

5. Worn centre track rods

6. Worn trailing arm bushes

7. Incorrectly fitted brake discs

In fact, I have just put my M535i back on the road after not using it for several months and I had exactly your problem. I found it to be the brakes sticking on!

Hope this helps.

Nigel

PS I'm selling the car if you can't solve your problem

Goldsoul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2002 at 00:04
I had exactly the same prob with by 520i. after eight (YES 8!) track rod ends I decided to lift the front end of the car & have a play with the steering to see if anything was suspect. When I turned the passenger wheel by hand by moving it left & right I spotted something quite worrying. The joint on the end of the centre tie bar had quite a bit of play on it. I tried the same on the drivers side & lo & behold, exactly the same thing. After replacing the centre tie bar (the bar that links the steering box with the track rod end assemblies) I have so far had six months of trouble free motoring. That may b your prob & also your answer.
VAUN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2002 at 15:53
Thanks James, Nigel and Goldsoul! All your collective advice has been taken on board and will be heeded.

Nigel, wot's the spec of your M535i. Does it have the Getrag dog-leg box? Leather? Sunroof? etc, etc!!
Nigel Marston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2002 at 00:43

Vaun

My M535i is a 1986 D reg sports switchable auto model. It is Alpine White with black leather sports interior, glass electric sliding sunnroof, ABS, cruise, Aircon (needs attention), computer, 10 disc CD player, 15 inch cross spoke alloys, electric mirrors and windows, central locking and headlamp wash wipe.  It has a full service history from new and a 'starship mileage' but we rebuilt the engine about 50,000 miles ago.

Nigel

PS I'm going to be away until 4 January so I won't be able to pick up any replies until then.

tazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2003 at 02:01

Vaun!!!!! i'm i glad to meet you, i've just bought myself a 2 litre E28, it's been my child hood ambition to be the proud owner of such an elegent, yet beastly machine. i'm in love. 

Got a slight problem which is identicle to what you descibed. As soon as i hit 55mph the steering starts vibrating quite violently then as i go over 60, not to sure what happens after that. besideds, i'm not to sure if  i'd really want to take that risk at the moment because there's a bit of play in the steering. I was wondering if you had managed to solve the problem on your E28, and if so, excactly what, in your opinion, was the problem.  

cheers  

VAUN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2003 at 13:25
Hi Tazman. Nope I haven't sorted it yet, but I do intend to take the collective advice of the guys above. I plan on renewing all the ball joints on the steering, which, looking at the Haynes manual appears to number SIX (Gulp!!). That's including the two on each end of the Tie Bar which has to be completely renewed. If that don't cure the vibration I'll eat my hat. I'll post up the results on this forum as soon as I get off me lazy arse and get the job done. Later!
tazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2003 at 22:17

thanks for the speedy reply, eh.......well, by the sounds of it i'll probably have it done before you will, that's if i can muster up the cash to fund it. By the way do you think i'll be needing any speciallist tools for the job? i'm a chippy so i've got a hammer, chisels, and a circular saw. what do you recon?

Goldsoul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2003 at 23:52

Vaun. There is essentially three parts (simple version) to the steering assembly. The centre tie bar and also 2 track rod assemblies (each side consisting of a tie bar with a track rod end at each end). Buy the complete assemblies cos its cheaper and you know that you are buying the right threaded joints.

Centre tie bar (2 joints) BM no 32 21 1 129 017

Tie rod assembles (tie bar + 2 track rod ends) BM no 32 21 1 135 666 (2 needed).

Its easy when u got a BM parts CD

Oh yeah, also check your drop arms (the arms that "swing" the centre tie bar). They may be worn also, not likely but worth checking whilst you are under there. And get yourself a decent sized ball joint splitter. My centre tie bar was a right "get" to get off took nearly half an hour. Good luck!!!

VAUN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2003 at 16:57
Thanks again Goldsoul – I've made a note of the part numbers and I'll get down to Europarts ASAP.

Tazman, yeah I reckon you should have no probs with a circular saw and your wood chisels!!!!!
Nah, only joking ......... I've already got a ball joint splitter as Goldsoul suggested, so git yerself one of them and it'll be a doddle .......... yeah, an' pigs might fly!!! Good luck, an' let me know if ya encounter any problems just in case you do beat me into the garage!!
tazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2003 at 01:06
cheers guy's, i'll take all the info into account! if you were near by i'd by you guy's a drink or few. my next toast will be to you boys, cheers.  
Goldsoul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2003 at 17:44

Ermmmmmmmm thats one of the reasons I went through eight track rod ends. The Euro one's are not the same quality as the BMW ones. I had an original quality one from euro last only a month once. Their copies seemed to last longer! Just because it looks the same & fits doesn't mean that its gonna do the same job. I've actually got Quinton Hazell track rod ends on now cos they strengthen theirs by an estimated 20% apparently.

All is well now. Took some getting used to not having to replace them anymore.

VAUN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2003 at 12:28
Thanks again Goldsoul for your invaluable advice – god, isn't this Forum just the nuts?!! I'm not one for false economy so your advice will be very much heeded. I'd much rather put quality parts on my car than be forever changing them. Quinton Hazell is quite a popular after market manufacturer of parts isn't it, so I guess if I just go to a decent motor factors and insist on them I should get what I need?!
tazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2003 at 00:18

i just didn't want to sound ungreatful, looks like I was mis-understood, i could have just-as-easily turned round and told you to F--- O-- after you gave me that information, but i didn't.

Thanks again

Goldsoul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2003 at 01:03

Yeah, Quinton Hazell and Delphi are two of the biggest aftermarket manufacturers in the business (even though they do supply to the vehicle manufacturers themselves as well). Any decent part store will be able to sort you out. But also check new BMW prices. sometimes they are not that bad. I recently got a new diff drainplug seal for the paltry sum of 12p!

Tazman, i'm always willing to help out a fellow e28'er if I have the knowledge. I hope you get your car sorted as well

dud29 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2003 at 21:01
Hi guys, just joined up as I`ve found this forum very interesting.I presently own 2 BMs. A 633csia[1977] and a 520i[1985]. The problem with some of the vehicles mentioned, as regards to wheel shaking , is as Goldsoul and others said the centre steering rod having balljoints on either end. One of my previous BMs, a 520[1981] shock like mad but once I replaced the centre unit for I think it was a Quinton Hazel replacement  all was ok
VAUN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2003 at 14:17
Well guys, I eventually got round to replacing all me ball joints and centre tie bar (All QH gear) but to my dismay it ain't cured me wheel shake!!

Nigel (Marston) earlier in this forum said that he found the cause was the brakes sticking on on his car which I have symptoms of so I guess I'll have to get the axle stands out again this weekend!!

Tazman, how you getting on with your wheel shake?!
VAUN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2003 at 16:19
Well guys ...... that's what it was! I replaced both front brake calipers yesterday and ..... voila, sorted – no more wheel shake at speed!! Hurrah! But after bleeding the brakes three times they're still spongy. Anybody have any ideas? I used one of those Gunston Ezi-Bleed pressurising kits that pressurise the brake circuit off the spare tyre. Seemed to be doing the job but as I said, after three atempts they're still spongy. Somebody told 'cos I have ABS I should bleed the brakes with the engine running, but I've not heard that before. Can anyone advise?!!
Slatz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2003 at 21:24

Vaun

Just checked the 'Bentley' manual for info.

Quote:  On cars with ABS, pump the brake pedal a minimum of 12 times before opening the bleeder valve.  This will help to expel air trapped in the hydraulic unit.

Hope this helps.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic