Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSky news vote. Speed cameras

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 06:43

The "problem" with the sky poll is it asks if you think they save lives.....it doesn't ask if you like them/want them etc.

I'm afraid all the evidence does suggest they save lives, no real arguement with that

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 07:03
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

The Police Federation of England and Wales.

" We support the use of safety cameras ,but ONLY where they are used in the pursuit of properly established speed or traffic light controlled problems, we are concerned with regards to the labelling of such devices as revenue generating machines."

Alan Jones  11-11-05.

No problems with that statement at all.

The problem comes from people pedalling this myth that it's about income generation, that unwarranted labelling concerns me also.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 07:20

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Offensive weapon legislation for instance requires no victim.

Ah yes. I rememeber the ledigslation that prevented the use of automatic hand guns by members of gun clubs. What a waste of time. All it achived was to prevent law abiding citizens from enjoying a hobby. Has gun crime dropped since it came in. No!! why?? because it was an ill concieved knee jerk reaction to, if I remember correctly, Micheal Ryan.

Most of these law enforcement techniques, in order to convict successfully, require the offender to be a law abiding citizen in the first place i.e if i wasn't registered as the owner of my car then they wouldn't have been able to catch me with a camera, or if I had false plates fitted.

Any I drifted off topic there

I don't care what government polls say, I also don't care what the justification for speed cameras is. My only point on this thread was that those of us who don't think speed cameras save lives are not alone. At the very least the 6000 odd people who voted no in the sky news survey are in agreement.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 07:24
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

The "problem" with the sky poll is it asks if you think they save lives.....it doesn't ask if you like them/want them etc.

I'm afraid all the evidence does suggest they save lives, no real arguement with that

What evidence?

Where can I see the raw data that this statement is determined by?

I don't mean the ststastics themselves I mean the actual data, i.e number of crashes/versus volume of traffic and the actual cause.

Anyone can use statistics to tell any story they want. They are so easy to manipulate and the kind quoted on the news are frequently meaningless or quoted in such a way that they give the wrong impression.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 08:37
It is impossible to refute the relationship between speed & the increase in energy involved with that.

It is impossible to refute that the greater the energy in any collision the more damage will be caused.

It is impossible to refute that the greater the energy the more likely death will be in any collision.

It is impossible to refute that increased speed means less time to deal with any hazard.

What is open to discussion is the best way to deal with it.
Now cameras are an attempt to manage that risk by limiting speed, as are speed limits themselves.

Offer the government viable, realistic, cost effective alternatives to the satsifactory management of that risk. I don't see a lot of that happening & without it they will continue using blunt instruments (cameras) because the data shows it does what they are looking for.
Don't just rubbish cameras because they control or punish speeding, offer viable alternatives.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 08:42
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I don't care what government polls say, I also don't care what the justification for speed cameras is. My only point on this thread was that those of us who don't think speed cameras save lives are not alone. At the very least the 6000 odd people who voted no in the sky news survey are in agreement.

You do care what their polls say or you wouldn't feel strongly about the issue. Of course people feel like you do, but do people in the numbers required feel strongly enough (with the same thinking as you) to force government policy changes to remove all cameras ?

I don't believe they do, whilst people might not like cameras because they catch them speeding, they accpet they shouldn't be speeding & in years gone by, people viewed & complained about traffic Police the same way.
I don't believe any government are going to remove cameras because of the backlash from the pro camera brigade & because they do reduce collisions. Remember they only prosecute law breakers.

Your best bet is to try to limit further numbers with a convincing argument for alternatives.

If you want raw data, try the camera partnerships themselves under Freedom of Information Act.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 09:46
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Offensive weapon legislation for instance requires no victim.

Ah yes. I rememeber the ledigslation that prevented the use of automatic hand guns by members of gun clubs. What a waste of time. All it achived was to prevent law abiding citizens from enjoying a hobby. Has gun crime dropped since it came in. No!! why?? because it was an ill concieved knee jerk reaction to, if I remember correctly, Micheal Ryan.

I think you remember incorrectly then, because firearms legislation is seperate to that which governs offensive weapons.

People can still shoot at gun clubs, but certain weapons can no longer be used/kept. They can still continue with their hobby.

Yes offences involving firearms have steadily increased since 1987, but are you suggesting it would have been an opposite trend (fewer crimes) if the gun owenership laws had not been changed ?

Most of these law enforcement techniques, in order to convict successfully, require the offender to be a law abiding citizen in the first place i.e if i wasn't registered as the owner of my car then they wouldn't have been able to catch me with a camera, or if I had false plates fitted.

Speeding is NOT law abiding, it's just a different offence to having false plates fitted. People are of course prosecuted with false plates etc. where those offences are detected. They usually find themselves in a cell for a while, not sent a NIP through the post.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 11:01

Livvy wrote,

It is impossible to refute the relationship between speed & the increase in energy involved with that.

But that doesn’t mean the increase in energy is unsafe. If the increase in energy is controlled correctly it is perfectly safe.

It is impossible to refute that the greater the energy in any collision the more damage will be caused.

That all depends on what is colliding with what. Modern vehicles are better designed with crumple zones and deformable materials etc so therefore are less likely to cause damage than older vehicles.

It is impossible to refute that the greater the energy the more likely death will be in any collision.

Not necessarily, it again depends on what collides with what. Crash test research done by manufacturers has shown that depending on the shape and materials a vehicle is made from, a collision at a higher speed can cause less damage. An example of this was when (I think it was Honda) found that their ‘soft bonnet’ deformed too much in collision with pedestrians at slow speed and caused worse injury than at a higher speed which did not give the bonnet time to deform to much before the pedestrian was thrown clear.

It is impossible to refute that increased speed means less time to deal with any hazard.

True but the more important factor is the ability of the driver and the vehicle to react that hazard. A quick reaction at 60 mph is more likely to avoid or cause less damage in a collision than a slow reaction at 40mph.

Manufacturers have been dealing with it since before speed cameras by introducing lots of safety features that have reduced the number of deaths and injuries far more than speed cameras.

I would think most people advocate an increase in road traffic patrols but no one in government seems to listen.
Now cameras are an attempt to manage that risk by limiting speed, as are speed limits themselves.

But trying to limit the speed of a poor driver will not prevent them having collisions. Incidents happen at all speeds. Insurance companies claim that most crashes occur on roads that are within 3 miles of where people live the majority of which are on urban roads at lower speeds.

Offer the government viable, realistic, cost effective alternatives to the satsifactory management of that risk. I don't see a lot of that happening & without it they will continue using blunt instruments (cameras) because the data shows it does what they are looking for.

And this is the short sightedness of the government and camera safety partnerships. Surely saving lives shouldn’t be about cost effectiveness. Most people have learned to live with speed cameras but what we find hard to accept is that more and more cameras go up but very little is being done to police the bad drivers on the road. A camera can only record a vehicle exceeding a speed limit but not the person who drives dangerously below the speed limit whereas a traffic officer can do both and much more besides.
Don't just rubbish cameras because they control or punish speeding, offer viable alternatives.

Its not the cameras that are being rubbished, it’s the overuse of them to the detriment of proper policing of the roads.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 11:34
Originally posted by steven.seed steven.seed wrote:

But that doesn’t mean the increase in energy is unsafe. If the increase in energy is controlled correctly it is perfectly safe.

I agree, I have never said speed in itself is dangerous, but what do you think of the standard of driving in this country ?

Everybody here (& everywhere else) seems to be complaining about it.

The speed limits are based around one ability level & it's not the highest ability level. The numbers of collisions that do occur are evidence in fact that, for whatever reason, people do not manage  risk on our roads particularly well. Now those collisions may not all be as a result of speed (a good portion are) but never the less an increase in speed will just serve to expose their defeciencies further, by giving them less time to correct or cover for them. Then when those collisions do occur (as they do) you are bringing extra energy to it.

That all depends on what is colliding with what. Modern vehicles are better designed with crumple zones and deformable materials etc so therefore are less likely to cause damage than older vehicles.

Yes
But a higher speed collision in a modern vehicle still causes more damage than a lower speed collision in a modern vehicle (like for like vehicles). That is what my statement says, not comparing different cars, but different speeds. For the same set of given circumstances where the speed is the only difference, higher speed = higher damage levels.

Not necessarily, it again depends on what collides with what. Crash test research done by manufacturers has shown that depending on the shape and materials a vehicle is made from, a collision at a higher speed can cause less damage. An example of this was when (I think it was Honda) found that their ‘soft bonnet’ deformed too much in collision with pedestrians at slow speed and caused worse injury than at a higher speed which did not give the bonnet time to deform to much before the pedestrian was thrown clear.

See answer to my last point.

Like for like, injury is more likely (not necessarily results in, but more likely to result in injury or death) with an increase in speed.

True but the more important factor is the ability of the driver and the vehicle to react that hazard. A quick reaction at 60 mph is more likely to avoid or cause less damage in a collision than a slow reaction at 40mph.

I refer you to the answer to previous points.
The standard of drivers is not that high. Sure a good driver can drive at speed safer than a poor one. A good driver will limit reacting to anything, they will anticipate it and start to do something about it incase it happens, not wait for it to start. Our limits are set to a base common standard for all abilities, not set to what is safe for the most skilled only.

Manufacturers have been dealing with it since before speed cameras by introducing lots of safety features that have reduced the number of deaths and injuries far more than speed cameras.

I would think most people advocate an increase in road traffic patrols but no one in government seems to listen.

Yes manufacturers have made cars safer & as such they have contributed to both fewer & more surviveable collisions.

But in Germany, France the USA etc they have cars with the same safety levels, but they all have higher collision & death rates per billion Km's than we do, so it isn't the cars alone.

People used to bitch about traffic patrols, people used to say "why aren't you out catching burglars" to them, so guess what, they got scaled down & posted elsewhere. Those same people say traffic officers weren't so bad now. Oh the irony.

Cameras do not lead to more deaths & collisions on our roads, they lead to less. As such they are an addition to complement other measures to reduce death & injury on our roads.
I too would like to see more traffic Police, but if you look at it from a managers point of view they are far more expensive. Cameras cost most Police forces nothing (only the SCPs that run at a loss cost the Police from their budgets & your SCP, Cheshire, ran at a loss last year so some of that will be coming from your Police's budget). In the main though they pay for themselves & get results.

But trying to limit the speed of a poor driver will not prevent them having collisions. Incidents happen at all speeds. Insurance companies claim that most crashes occur on roads that are within 3 miles of where people live the majority of which are on urban roads at lower speeds.

No cameras won't get rid of all collisions, nothing will. It is about risk management & keeping the balance. Trying to limit the numbers as much as possible to what will be acceptable to society as a whole.

In a vast number of collisions, if the driver had more time, they could take steps to avoid the collision in the first place. This would be particularly useful to those that end in fatalities & serious injuries.
How many times is it said folowing a collision to the Police dealing with it, "They came out of nowhere, I didn't have a chance."

And this is the short sightedness of the government and camera safety partnerships. Surely saving lives shouldn’t be about cost effectiveness. Most people have learned to live with speed cameras but what we find hard to accept is that more and more cameras go up but very little is being done to police the bad drivers on the road. A camera can only record a vehicle exceeding a speed limit but not the person who drives dangerously below the speed limit whereas a traffic officer can do both and much more besides.

Most traffic officers do little speed enforcement (only those at greater margins over the limit), because they can leave it to the SCPs. They concentrate on other matters, without SCPs they'd have to concentrate on speed enforcement more.

If you don't want more to go up, offer the government other effective means to reach their casualty reduction targets. They will have to be cost effective though. Why you ask, because everytime we vote we don't want higher taxes, we vote for parties that promise not to tax us more. Improving our roads costs big money & if we want more expensive ways than cameras we have to pay more & people don't want to pay more. That's why many people will say, let the speeders pay.

Its not the cameras that are being rubbished, it’s the overuse of them to the detriment of proper policing of the roads.

Give the government the cost effective alternatives.

Raising the standard of drivers in this country would be the most preferable, but people don't do it voluntarily & forcing them to would cost huge amounts. It would also take a long time & not give immeadiate benefits to help the government meet it's targets.
I agree the long trem benefits are far greater than limiting speed.

But limiting speed gives far more immeadiate results to meet those targets.
Reducing speed costs them little & gives them results.
For that reason they'll do as much as they can get away with.(IMHO)

My personal view.

We need to increase skill levels.
We need more traffic Police.
We need some cameras. (The more we can have of the former, the less we can have of the latter, but because they are already here we won't get rid of them).
The more people take responsibilty & improve their own skill levels, reducing the collisions they have, the less need the government will have for more cameras.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 12:14

A good positive post Steven, Not that livvy can understand anything less than party doctrine, and THAT is the reason for So much disagreement and resentment by US-the drivers who have to drive by a Political solution of illconceived kneejerk reactions, by NObrainers in the Govt and DFT.

Not once you note,  has livvy agreed that more Traffic Police ON the street would change the attitude of roadusers.Drivers used to pay attention and driving standards improved when Trafpol are sighted, and we knew that they could be anywhere--Unlike these days when you can drink and Drugs to your hearts content, without fear of detection--oohh!!forgot Scams will soon sort it out, as well as all the other bad driving practices that the trafpol are NOT around to see!!

In my part of the world, seven deaths due to Drugs-Drink, and jaywalking over the past 15 months will be included in the "speed related stats"cos that is the Correct Slime Govt way of collecting the Crime Scene figures--NOT once will any official details be given--only the word SPEED mentioned as many times as possible--No mention that Drugs cannot be tested for like drink--BUT-its No prob is it??, the Cameras will catch everything, eh livvy??.

SAFETYFAST
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 12:22
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

A good positive post Steven, Not that livvy can understand anything less than party doctrine, and THAT is the reason for So much disagreement and resentment by US-the drivers who have to drive by a Political solution of illconceived kneejerk reactions, by NObrainers in the Govt and DFT.

Not once you note,  has livvy agreed that more Traffic Police ON the street would change the attitude of roadusers.Drivers used to pay attention and driving standards improved when Trafpol are sighted, and we knew that they could be anywhere--Unlike these days when you can drink and Drugs to your hearts content, without fear of detection--oohh!!forgot Scams will soon sort it out, as well as all the other bad driving practices that the trafpol are NOT around to see!!

In my part of the world, seven deaths due to Drugs-Drink, and jaywalking over the past 15 months will be included in the "speed related stats"cos that is the Correct Slime Govt way of collecting the Crime Scene figures--NOT once will any official details be given--only the word SPEED mentioned as many times as possible--No mention that Drugs cannot be tested for like drink--BUT-its No prob is it??, the Cameras will catch everything, eh livvy??.

I think I've been quite clear that cameras will not solve all the problems, I have never suggested they will.

I think I also said in my last post (if you actually read it) that the higher skill levels & the more traffic officers, the less likelyhood that the government will need for cameras.

I have said time & time again that I support the call for more traffic officers, not cameras in their place.

It doesn't detract from the fact though that cameras are here, they are not likely to be removed (by any party) & they have contributed to a reduction of deaths & injuries on our roads.

If people do nothing else but bitch about cameras, then I can see more of them coming.
If people do something about raising standards & we get more traffic Police I can see that increase in cameras being averted.

I've already said that IMHO the trafpol we have are more interested in dealing with offenders for a variety of offences than in reporting people endlessly for speeding violations.

I'm not affiliated to any party line.
I don't want to see more cameras, I'd raher it be more Police.
But I won't blindly rubbish what they do because of that, as some others do.
If people help themselves (& the government) then more cameras shouldn't be needed & perhaps we can persuade the government of that.

I do see why they government have gone down the line that they have though, because it's cheap for them, it's easy for them & it gets results. I also see that it is realistically only a short term solution & that there are better long term ones. If people start the ball rolling towards better long term solutions, then they may be able to get the government with that program & deflect them away from more cameras. If however people whine & attack cameras without offering better solutions, then I fear that those who are opposed to cameras will have no say whatsoever in the shape of future policy. They will be passengers in it (not drivers) & it will be dictated by those with a less than positive attitude towards the motor car.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
bmwcrazy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1995 M5,1995 318ISE,1997 325

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 12:58
i agree waste of time and money as people slam brakes on then speed away  just another way for the goverment to get our hard earned money if the police put the same effort into catching other crooks instead of hideing in bushes we all no speeding is bad but it will always be there traffic police drive the best of cars 4x4 top of the range why, when they could use less expensive cars and get the same power and performance.

just an easy fix to a problem that cant be fixed.

dazz
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 13:06
Originally posted by bmwcrazy bmwcrazy wrote:

i agree waste of time and money as people slam brakes on then speed away  just another way for the goverment to get our hard earned money if the police put the same effort into catching other crooks instead of hideing in bushes we all no speeding is bad but it will always be there traffic police drive the best of cars 4x4 top of the range why, when they could use less expensive cars and get the same power and performance.

just an easy fix to a problem that cant be fixed.

dazz

With the amount caught by cameras obviously they don't slow enough do they ?

The few thousand cameras that there are can't hope to change behaviour over our entire road network. They are only to reduce speed & catch offenders in specifically identified researched problem areas.

Police officers patrolling are to deal with other offences & a general attitude to speed over our whole network.

The Police don't have to pay top dollar for the premium vehicles, they also get a better resale value with them. The vehicles they buy are bought because they offer a combination of best suitability for the role & value for money. When I say value for money, it's with regards to cost (loss) over the vehicles serviceable life. The Premium brands hold their value far better than some that may be cheaper to buy in the first place, but the cheaper ones are worth next to nothing come resale time & as such they can work out more expensive in the long run.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 13:58

Cameras do not lead to more deaths & collisions on our roads

I would be happy to see unbiased, accurate figures that confirm this universally. Not some government-sponsored, questionable grouping of KSI's that support scameras, but raw data that shows that scameras have never ever lead to an increase in accidents at any given place where they were installed.

they lead to less.

I would like to see similarly clear, unmassaged figures that support the assertion that any improvement cannot be explained by regression to the mean or any other factor.

Ciao,
Spokey

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 14:10

I remember using some magazine article on car costings to try and get my then boss to let me have a 320i estate, as overall it cost less than the others due to its high resale value.

Although my boss agreed it did seem the best cost option, I still didn't get one as he thought customers wouldn't like to see an engineer turn up in a BM.

I ended up with a top of the range laguna estate.

Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 14:13
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Cameras do not lead to more deaths & collisions on our roads

I would be happy to see unbiased, accurate figures that confirm this universally. Not some government-sponsored, questionable grouping of KSI's that support scameras, but raw data that shows that scameras have never ever lead to an increase in accidents at any given place where they were installed.

they lead to less.

I would like to see similarly clear, unmassaged figures that support the assertion that any improvement cannot be explained by regression to the mean or any other factor.

The latest report covers regression to the mean & shows savings including it & on top of it.

I can show you other reports including regression to the mean that show reductions, but you are pre-disposed to not believing them, so the point would be ?

Most reports are going to come from a university or college & as such you no doubt will rubbish them as government sponsored. Who else though qualified can spend the time required to research all the data & present it's conclusions ?

The fact remains though that seeking to rubbish them serves little purpose & is wasting energy. Energy that could be better served in attempting to move forward & in offering better options to take the government away from more cameras.
Just attacking cameras has little hope of diverting them from them IMHO.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 14:29

Livvy said,

I agree, I have never said speed in itself is dangerous, but what do you think of the standard of driving in this country ?

Everybody here (& everywhere else) seems to be complaining about it.

The speed limits are based around one ability level & it's not the highest ability level. The numbers of collisions that do occur are evidence in fact that, for whatever reason, people do not manage  risk on our roads particularly well. Now those collisions may not all be as a result of speed (a good portion are) but never the less an increase in speed will just serve to expose their defeciencies further, by giving them less time to correct or cover for them. Then when those collisions do occur (as they do) you are bringing extra energy to it.

Then obviously those drivers with the deficiencies have them at what ever speed they travel so need to be dealt with and cameras will never do that so instead of more cameras better policing. Perhaps everyone who is at fault in an accident should be re-assesed. I have been driving for 35 years and have been involved in one accident when someone ran into the back of my car when I had stopped at a pelican crossing  yet I personally know of two what I would call not very confident drivers who never speed and yet have both had several accidents each.

It would actually be interesting to see the % of drivers caught speeding who have actually been involved in accidents.

But a higher speed collision in a modern vehicle still causes more damage than a lower speed collision in a modern vehicle (like for like vehicles). That is what my statement says, not comparing different cars, but different speeds. For the same set of given circumstances where the speed is the only difference, higher speed = higher damage levels.

Yes but only in the event of a collision. Surely the objective should be to prevent the collisions not just attempt to make them happen at a lesser speed.

See answer to my last point.

Like for like, injury is more likely (not necessarily results in, but more likely to result in injury or death) with an increase in speed.

Same as my last point.

Yes but only in the event of a collision. Surely the objective should be to prevent the collisions not just attempt to make them happen at a lesser speed.

I refer you to the answer to previous points.
The standard of drivers is not that high. Sure a good driver can drive at speed safer than a poor one. A good driver will limit reacting to anything, they will anticipate it and start to do something about it incase it happens, not wait for it to start. Our limits are set to a base common standard for all abilities, not set to what is safe for the most skilled only.

Then this is what policing the roads should be based on. Not the necessarily the speed some one is traveling but their ability to cope with it.

Yes manufacturers have made cars safer & as such they have contributed to both fewer & more surviveable collisions.

But in Germany, France the USA etc they have cars with the same safety levels, but they all have higher collision & death rates per billion Km's than we do, so it isn't the cars alone.

Yes that is true but we can’t deal in absolutes and say our figures are better because of speed cameras. There are many different things that have an effect on the figures.

People used to bitch about traffic patrols, people used to say "why aren't you out catching burglars" to them, so guess what, they got scaled down & posted elsewhere. Those same people say traffic officers weren't so bad now. Oh the irony.

No, I disagree, I think the perception of the average motorist is that they have been scaled down because of the increase in cameras and people feel the camera is being used to replace them rather than complement them.

Cameras do not lead to more deaths & collisions on our roads, they lead to less. As such they are an addition to complement other measures to reduce death & injury on our roads.
I too would like to see more traffic Police, but if you look at it from a managers point of view they are far more expensive. Cameras cost most Police forces nothing (only the SCPs that run at a loss cost the Police from their budgets & your SCP,
Cheshire, ran at a loss last year so some of that will be coming from your Police's budget). In the main though they pay for themselves & get results.

Then if money is the primary reason for using cameras instead of traffic patrols then that confirms the argument most people have with the increasing use of cameras.

No cameras won't get rid of all collisions, nothing will. It is about risk management & keeping the balance. Trying to limit the numbers as much as possible to what will be acceptable to society as a whole.

In a vast number of collisions, if the driver had more time, they could take steps to avoid the collision in the first place. This would be particularly useful to those that end in fatalities & serious injuries.
How many times is it said folowing a collision to the Police dealing with it, "They came out of nowhere, I didn't have a chance."

But again this proves the point that it is driving standards that are the problem, not just speed. If you have a problem the most effective way of dealing with it is to find the common denominator and in all accidents bar none it is people. Not the vehicle, the weather conditions, speed, type of vehicle, type of road or anything else but always people.

Most traffic officers do little speed enforcement (only those at greater margins over the limit), because they can leave it to the SCPs. They concentrate on other matters, without SCPs they'd have to concentrate on speed enforcement more.

If you don't want more to go up, offer the government other effective means to reach their casualty reduction targets. They will have to be cost effective though. Why you ask, because everytime we vote we don't want higher taxes, we vote for parties that promise not to tax us more. Improving our roads costs big money & if we want more expensive ways than cameras we have to pay more & people don't want to pay more. That's why many people will say, let the speeders pay.

People don’t want to pay more because they pay more than enough and many people will also say speeders don’t necessarily cost the country money but bad  drivers and illegally run vehicles do.

Give the government the cost effective alternatives.

Raising the standard of drivers in this country would be the most preferable, but people don't do it voluntarily & forcing them to would cost huge amounts. It would also take a long time & not give immeadiate benefits to help the government meet it's targets.
I agree the long trem benefits are far greater than limiting speed.

But limiting speed gives far more immeadiate results to meet those targets.
Reducing speed costs them little & gives them results.
For that reason they'll do as much as they can get away with.(IMHO)

Cost really is irrelevant because in fact the motorist pays several times more in road tax and fuel duties than is spent on building, maintaining or policing the roads so if all the money collected from road users were put back into the roads and the policing of them  there would be more than enough to allow the funds necessary to deal with inadequate drivers.

My personal view.

We need to increase skill levels.
We need more traffic Police.
We need some cameras. (The more we can have of the former, the less we can have of the latter, but because they are already here we won't get rid of them).
The more people take responsibilty & improve their own skill levels, reducing the collisions they have, the less need the government will have for more cameras.

I agree with most of your personal views but I believe the authorities need to more actively control the standard of driver on the road. They will take the license off someone traveling over 100mph and has never had an accident but will allow someone who  persistently is involved in accidents continue driving.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 14:32

Defending them has even less chance of getting rid of them.

Edited by spokey
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 15:00
Steven

The bad driver has more chance of correcting their mistake if they are going slower.

I've said I agree that the long term solution is better standards of driving. People need to convince the government that this is viable. What is letting people speed with the current skill levels going to add to safety ?

The difficulty when Police observe people travelling at speeds above our limits is knowing (as there is no test or certification for them) that they are capable of driving safely & have the required observation, anticipation & planning to deal with the enhanced speeds. Our driving test only tests people against our limits. The fact that people don't have a collision is not evidence that they could deal with all circumstances at those speeds. The only way you'll know the standard of their driving is upto it is through training & assessment.

As such all are tarred with the same brush because it is the easiest way to regulate it.
If we wait until people do something dangerous at speed, it's too late, preventative measures are required.

Where Police investigate collisions (& they are called collisions because accidents suggest no element of blame when invariably there is) often where there is evidence people are prosecuted for without due care etc, which is an endorseable offence  & carries a discretionary disqualification. It is treated more seriously than speeding in that it is not an FPN offence, it has to go to court.

But that is not preventative. The collision, damage or injury has happened. Inappropraite speed has been identified as one the large contributory factors in collisions. It has been identified as an area if tackled can see meaningful reductions in collisions. Speed limits & ultimately cameras are in response to that, because those who can't identify appropraite speed will benefit from an upper limit for the identified road type.

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Defending them has even less chance of getting rid of them.

I don't think you have a chance of getting rid of them.

That's why I say that people should do something positive to control future implementations rather than being negative about the current ones.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 15:38
[QUOTE=livvy]Steven

The bad driver has more chnace of correcting their mistake if they are going slower.

I've said I agree that the long term solution is better standards of driving. People need to convince the government that this is viable. What is letting people speed with the current skill levels going to add to safety ?

The difficulty when Police observe people travelling at speeds above our limits is knowing (as there is no test) if they are capable of driving safely & have the required observation, anticipation & planning to deal with the enhanced speeds. The fact that people don't have a collision is not evidence that they could deal with all circumstances at those speeds. The only way you'll know the standard of their driving is upto it is through training & assessment.

As such all are tarred with the same brush because it is the easiest way to regulate it.
If we wait until people do something dangerous at speed, it's too late, preventative measures are required.

Livvy,  I am not advocating that people be allowed to speed, I totally agree that speed needs to be controlled,  the main crux of my argument is that the cameras have been overused and have been  quite often sited on inappropriate stretches of road while the increase in cameras seems to have been matched by a decrease in RT patrols and due to that there seems to have been a massive deteriation in driving standards and driver behaviour. A driver needs to be competent at any speed and every day I see things happen on the roads that are preventable by having more traffic police. With cameras people are only caught at that time at that spot for the one offence. Who is going to stop for example the woman who came around a sharp corner on my side of the road because she was on her mobile phone and couldn't turn the steering wheel far enough round with one hand. It was me who had to take evasive action and mount the kerb to miss a head on collision. She then just went merrily on her way still chatting on the phone while my passenger and I sat there in disbelief. Who is going to ensure that drivers clear off the frost so that they can see out of their windows properly and not end up killing someone because they did not see them (like my brother) and I'm sure you've experienced similar incidents yourself. It makes me angry that the main concern is 'cameras are cost effective' and traffic officers are expensive. Speed cameras have become the be all and end all of policing our roads and those people on the safety camera partnerships have become far to smug because they have the support of successive governments that are happy to cut the cost of saving lives on our roads whilst spending billions on wars and policing operations around the world and in the process indirectly killing thousands of people but that of course is done within the confines of the law.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic