FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSky news vote. Speed cameras

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 16:09
Originally posted by steven.seed steven.seed wrote:

Livvy,  I am not advocating that people be allowed to speed, I totally agree that speed needs to be controlled,  the main crux of my argument is that the cameras have been overused and have been  quite often sited on inappropriate stretches of road while the increase in cameras seems to have been matched by a decrease in RT patrols and due to that there seems to have been a massive deteriation in driving standards and driver behaviour. A driver needs to be competent at any speed and every day I see things happen on the roads that are preventable by having more traffic police. With cameras people are only caught at that time at that spot for the one offence. Who is going to stop for example the woman who came around a sharp corner on my side of the road because she was on her mobile phone and couldn't turn the steering wheel far enough round with one hand. It was me who had to take evasive action and mount the kerb to miss a head on collision. She then just went merrily on her way still chatting on the phone while my passenger and I sat there in disbelief. Who is going to ensure that drivers clear off the frost so that they can see out of their windows properly and not end up killing someone because they did not see them (like my brother) and I'm sure you've experienced similar incidents yourself. It makes me angry that the main concern is 'cameras are cost effective' and traffic officers are expensive. Speed cameras have become the be all and end all of policing our roads and those people on the safety camera partnerships have become far to smug because they have the support of successive governments that are happy to cut the cost of saving lives on our roads whilst spending billions on wars and policing operations around the world and in the process indirectly killing thousands of people but that of course is done within the confines of the law.

I have said that I agree with you about the numbers of traffic officers.

I don't think it is a case of cameras being installed & then losing traffic officers though.

The decline in traffic officer numbers started long before SCPs & as I have said before there were plenty of people moaning that traffic officers should be deployed dealing with "burglars" "rapists" & "murderers". There was/has been tremendous pressure from the public on chief constables to focus resources on burglary, street robbery etc & this has been to detriment of traffic officer numbers. If anything cameras plugged the gap left after traffic officers numbers were scaled down.

Numbers of designated traffic officers fell from between 15-20% of force strength in 1966 to 7% of force strength in 1998. As I say the downward trend started long before SCPs.

Of course another answer is that a lot of rank & file "non-traffic" officers also deal with driving offences that you describe. It isn't only traffic officers who deal with offences such as hand held phone use, con & use offences, traffic light offences, seatbelt offences, without due care etc. The offence that those rank & file officers actually report people for least is............speeding.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
Sponsored Links

shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 18:12

@ livvy :- please answer me this  why am i stopped in my car at 3.am & asked what i am doing out on the road at that time in the morning  ( i work in a night club at weekends )  are we under curfew in "good old blighty "??? That was Friday night/ Sat morning. Stopped again Sat night/Sunday morning by THE SAME TWO GUYS?????  still needed to hand in my doc's at local police station to verify i am who i said i was.Should have seen the look on the desk bloke's face as i produced 2 slips for two successive days . and please don't tell me they were checking if i was out burgling houses as that is old hat!!!

I know it has nothing to do with the "Speeding " post just need an "informed" opinion

Edited by shorty
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 18:17

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

The speed limits are based around one ability level & it's not the highest ability level. .

no they're not!

They are there because of a knee-jerk reaction years ago to a shortage of fuel!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 18:25
Originally posted by shorty shorty wrote:

@ livvy :- please answer me this  why am i stopped in my car at 3.am & asked what i am doing out on the road at that time in the morning  ( i work in a night club at weekends )  are we under curfew in "good old blighty "??? That was Friday night/ Sat morning. Stopped again Sat night/Sunday morning by THE SAME TWO GUYS?????  still needed to hand in my doc's at local police station to verify i am who i said i was.Should have seen the look on the desk bloke's face as i produced 2 slips for two successive days . and please don't tell me they were checking if i was out burgling houses as that is old hat!!!

I know it has nothing to do with the "Speeding " post just need an "informed" opinion

I am sorry but I have no idea why they stopped you.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 18:30
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

The speed limits are based around one ability level & it's not the highest ability level. .

no they're not!

I've said it here before, speed limits were introduced a long long time ago, before fuel shortage concerns. Drivers were prosecuted for speeding over 100 years ago. They have been adjusted through the passage of time, but to levels that all should be expected to be able to operate safely within & decide on a safe speed for the circumstances upto & not beyond that limit.

http://www.checkyourspeed.org.uk/fe/default.asp?n1=1&n2= 6

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 18:41

Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

no they're not!

I've said it here before, speed limits were introduced a long long time ago, before fuel shortage concerns. Drivers were prosecuted for speeding over 100 years ago. They have been adjusted through the passage of time, but to levels that all should be expected to be able to operate safely within & decide on a safe speed for the circumstances upto & not beyond that limit.

http://www.checkyourspeed.org.uk/fe/default.asp?n1=1&n2= 6

OK, I'll accept there were already pockets of 30/40/50mph speed-limits already in place - so I'll rephrase it to read "A Blanket speed limit (of 70mph) was introduced years & years ago ..."

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 18:49
The 70mph limit has been in force since 22nd December 1965, (initially on a four month trial basis, but was left in permanently at the end of the trial) & was brought in following a succession of serious collisions.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 19:27

The 70mph limit has been in force since 22nd December 1965..

My, that was some time ago, when most cars could only manage 70mph - and don't ask about braking distances.. but then again the amount of cars on the road were a lot less than nowadays.

How many times has the national speed limit been addressed?

It's ok saying that the limit should be raised - but wouldn't that make it more dangerous when there are slower vehicles on the road as well (usualy sitting in the centre lane)?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 19:40
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

The 70mph limit has been in force since 22nd December 1965..

My, that was some time ago, when most cars could only manage 70mph - and don't ask about braking distances.. but then again the amount of cars on the road were a lot less than nowadays.

How many times has the national speed limit been addressed?

It's ok saying that the limit should be raised - but wouldn't that make it more dangerous when there are slower vehicles on the road as well (usualy sitting in the centre lane)?

It has been looked at many many times, but obviously has never materialised. I believe the last time it was turned down was on environmental (noise) grounds. The incresae in noise not being worth what would be little or no gain in journey times.

Yes differentials between relative vehicles will be a problem. The greater the differential the greater the risk.

Here is a little light reading - part of a discussion about limits from the summer, looking at amendments to the road safety bill.

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld19969 7/ldhansrd/pdvn/lds05/text/50704-19.htm

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 20:08
Good link Livvy.
Though I thought cats work best when hot, emmisions go down the harder they are worked..

I agree with what one of the chaps wrote about Scotland, the roads up there are a lot emptier than down here.

"It has been pointed out in another place that an estimated 19 per cent of those who travel on motorways already do so at speeds in excess of 80 miles per hour, while perhaps 50 per cent exceed 70 miles per hour."

If this is so, how can emmisions be accuratly tested if 69% of motorists are going above 70 mph?

..it's getting late so I must have passed the section with ref: to noise polution, can you point me to it?
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 20:23
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Good link Livvy.
..it's getting late so I must have passed the section with ref: to noise polution, can you point me to it?

That was previously when it was looked at, not that link.

The discussion on the link was about amendments to the up coming Road Safety bill.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 06:03

You do care what their polls say or you wouldn't feel strongly about the issue.

Sorry, you misunderstand me. When I say I don't care it's because I don't believe them. Obvioulsey I do care about the issue and the fact that I think the general public is being sold a misconception to justify speed cameras.

If you want raw data, try the camera partnerships themselves under Freedom of Information Act.

How do I contact my local partnership?

This whole issue reminds me of an American organisation called the PMRC or Parents and Music Resource Centre. In the 80s the set about trying to get rock musuc banned because it was evil, full of subliminal messages, etc etc. None of this was true but it did get several bands banned from certain venues and states. These people were convinced that they were not to blame for their kids going off the rails that they looked to the music they listened to so that they could find a scapegoat. If my child goes into a school with a shot gun it because he listens to Ozzy Ozbourne, not because of me or the fact that he is bullied. You know the sort of thing.

Now lots of well meaning do gooders look at the accident statistics and want to find someone to blame. Some of these people may even have been in a crash or lost relatives so thier view point may not be as objective as it should. Desperate to find a group of people to blame for the deaths they decide it's the fault of speeding motorists. These are the evil that terrorise our roads, that kill of family members, that endanger our lives.......and what about the children, won't somebody think of the children.. 

So these people set up lobby groups and start to campaign about speed etc and when some of them get into government they start to get their own way.....

However, IMO, most motorists are part of the problem. Accidents are caused by bad driving, by being tired, by a lack of attention, by poor judgement, by stupidity. I would reckon almost all drivers at some point suffer from one or more of the above and none of them are adequately addressed by speed cameras

The problem is if we accept this then these do gooders have to admit that the reason that little Billy was killed was down to a behaviour that they themselves sometimes exhibit. They have to admit that they are as much a part of the problem as the rest of us.

Yes if you slow cars down impacts will be slower and injuries will be reduced, but how many crashes actually occur at above the speed limit? Would those crashes have not happened had the driver not been braking the speed limit. Would the driver have been safe at that speed if he had been leaving a big enough gap, or actually been awake, or below the drink drive limit, or on the right side of the road, or paying attention.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 06:11
I agree that there are many causes for collisions & they are very diverse. However when you are looking to address a problem, a problem that is so diverse it is very difficult to attack, you naturally look for something that is a common theme. The single contributory factors that are present in the most collisions. Inappropriate speed is a large contributory factor.

If you ask the people who deal with & investigate the more serious collisions what is a common theme in these collisions, they will say that inappropriate speed is a factor that appears time & time again.

I know that inappropraite speed doesn't always mean speeding, but it is a small jump to those that drive at inappropriate speeds also break speed limits. The more that they can be forced to look at the issue of their speed as a contributory factor the better.

Most people are ignorant of the impact (forgive the pun) of speed on them.

Take this example
Two identical cars & drivers travelling along a road.
One is doing 70mph the other 100mph.
They arrive at the same point at those speeds & see a hazard for which they are going to have to brake to a stop for.
They apply the same maximum braking available & the rate of deceleration is 8.5ms-2 (this represents a pretty high rate of deceleration typical of a modern car fitted with ABS on a good dry road).
When the car doing 70mph comes to a halt the other car is still travelling at 77mph.

So many people don't vary their speed according to circumstances. Speed limits try to address that by giving them a heads up, an idea of what is a safe maximum (with a good margin of safety built in).

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 07:24

So many people don't vary their speed according to circumstances. Speed limits try to address that by giving them a heads up, an idea of what is a safe maximum (with a good margin of safety built in).

Yep. That's right livvy, you can fix EVERYTHING by a speed limit, like you keep telling us. So why not make things even safer (since this is all about safety) and introduce a blanket speed limit of 20MPH on all roads under all conditions?

Deaths will plummet, serious injuries will plummet, noise will decrease, fuel consumption will decrease, I just can't see any down side. I mean, if safety is the goal, then that is what they should do.
Ciao,
Spokey

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 07:42

I agree that there are many causes for collisions & they are very diverse. However when you are looking to address a problem, a problem that is so diverse it is very difficult to attack, you naturally look for something that is a common theme. The single contributory factors that are present in the most collisions. Inappropriate speed is a large contributory factor.

The problem IMO isn't difficult to attack, it's just less popular than speed cameras. Compulsory driver retaining. I go on lot's of courses at work to be trained on everything from kinetic handling to chemical hazards. This training is refreshed on a regular basis. Driving is one of the most dangerous things we do, yet how many people go on refresher courses? I have to go through a defensive driving course run by the IAM as part of my job every two years. This kind of thing should be compulsory. Inapproroate speed is all part of not understanding your own limitations, those of the car and more importantly those of others.

Speed is used because it is easy. Politicians love easy answers despite the fact that they are frequently not the best solution.

If you ask the people who deal with & investigate the more serious collisions what is a common theme in these collisions, they will say that inappropriate speed is a factor that appears time & time again.

I know that inappropraite speed doesn't always mean speeding, but it is a small jump to those that drive at inappropriate speeds also break speed limits. The more that they can be forced to look at the issue of their speed as a contributory factor the better.

I'll wager inapproriate speed frequently doesn't mean speeding. I am currently driving 120 miles a day and I see all sorts of bad driving. On the A19, where a large proportion of the drivers are going over 70, most of the bad driving is not about speeding, it is about driving too close. On the A171/172 most of the bad driving is down to inappropriate overtaking, or again driving too close. In fact the number of genuinely stupid things I see would not be prevented by speed cameras. Like the lady who changed lanes on the A1 with out checking her blind spot, almost hitting another car. Or the old chap who pulled onto the A19 from a slip road but rather than quickly getting up to speed continued on at 35 mph, causing a wagon to lock up. Then there was the lady who turned right accross the path of an oncomming car causing the driver to have to take evasive action. Or the idiot who saw me indicating to pull into the outside lane to pass a lorry so accellerated to stop me pulling out. The wagon that drove for about 5 miles at 55mph on the A174 so close I couldn't see his number plate. I can't remember the last time I saw a genuinely dangerous situation on the road caused simply by exceeding a speed limit but I could point out at least one every day that has nothing to do with speed.  

Edited by Peter Fenwick
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 11:37

The 70mph limit has been in force since 22nd December 1965, (initially on a four month trial basis, but was left in permanently at the end of the trial)

& was brought in following a succession of serious collisions. 

But don't care.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 12:01
I thought the 70mph limit came in because of car makers using the new M1 to test their cars top speed?
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 12:25
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I thought the 70mph limit came in because of car makers using the new M1 to test their cars top speed?

The actual limit was introduced following collisions. The testing of cars on the M1 did happen as well (in particular an AC Cobra), but that just cemented the view that limits were required on safety grounds.

I have said that they go for speeding because it's easy.
I have said that training offers greater long term benefits.

If they asked everyone to resit their driving test tomorrow millions (including a sizeable portion here no doubt) would lose their licence to drive. The effects to the economy as a whole would be catastrophic.
It's not that people don't improve their driving, it's that they actually get worse. People don't retain what they learnt & practice it (including keeping within limits which they did for their test), they think because they passed their test & they've been driving a few years they know it all. Most people need to drive & points for speeding are not about trying to get people off the road, they are about giving people a chance to change. The Police don't want to see people disqualified, the courts don't want to & the government don't want to. They all want people to obey the limits & drive safely.

People don't drive to the golden safety rule of being able to stop within the distance they can see to be clear on their side of the road (1/2 braking rules for single track). They don't further adjust that for poor surface conditions. They don't lose speed as they lose vision. They don't lose speed the closer they have to go to unsighted areas & as a result when they see a hazard late they are carrying too much speed to deal with it safely.
Now the primary cause may be their lack of observation or poor assessment, but the extra speed they were carrying is the killer blow because they don't have enough time.

As I said before our speed limits are generous to safety, more than progress to allow for people's skill or lack of.

Addressing the observation skills is in the short term too hard to address, but in the long term it is the ultimate goal.
Addressing the secondary factor (speed) is easier & will give more instant results.

I say again I don't think attacking speeding is the only answer but it helps because it gives people more time to cover their other ineffeciences.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 12:34
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Yep. That's right livvy, you can fix EVERYTHING by a speed limit, like you keep telling us. So why not make things even safer (since this is all about safety) and introduce a blanket speed limit of 20MPH on all roads under all conditions?

Deaths will plummet, serious injuries will plummet, noise will decrease, fuel consumption will decrease, I just can't see any down side. I mean, if safety is the goal, then that is what they should do.

Actually I've gone on record here as saying many many times that you can't fix everything with speed limits. But having speed limits & enforcing them helps more than it hinders.

If we did have 20mph limits (& stuck to them) then yes I'm quite sure that death,injury & collision numbers would drop. But it would be too draconian & would too adversely affect other aspects of life.

Speed limits have to be set with an attempt to balance safety, practicality & environmental concerns. On the whole I think they pretty much do that.
Mine & mine alone.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 12:59
I always thought the first road to have a speed limit imposed was the M6 - round about the same time as the E-Type Jag came about (from a pub quiz btw )
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic