Forum LockedBIG Brother Has arrived--NOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2005 at 19:35
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

That information alone wouldn't infer guilty knowledge on your part of course, but it is never the less something that I would consider prudent & good practice for the Police to look into. Cameras will help with this.

If I am not a criminal, it is none of the police's business where I travel. Prudence and good practice be d@mned.
Ciao,
Spokey

Sponsored Links

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2005 at 20:08
I am afraid that what the Police only need to act on is reasonable grounds. Most legislation governing Police powers has a test of reasonableness attached to it.

Where the cameras give them information that provides that, then they could act on it.

Where it didn't then they wouldn't be.

Whether you are a criminal or not that is the way things stand now & like the other things I've said, cameras won't be different on that score. That is already with us for the current situation.

I can't imagine many people objecting to that premise of reasonable grounds.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2005 at 20:48
I never claimed to be reasonable.

I do value my privacy. I fear that I am in a very small minority.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 05:18
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

I never claimed to be reasonable.

I do value my privacy. I fear that I am in a very small minority.

Privacy is in the home.

Your movements can be watched on CCTV over lots of our city centres, in most shops, in the workplace, in government/council buildings, on our trains & buses etc etc.
Watching cars moving around is no more intrusive than that, infact maybe less so as it tracks the car movements, it doesn't focus on the individuals.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 05:55

Your movements can be watched on CCTV over lots of our city centres, in most shops, in the workplace, in government/council buildings, on our trains & buses etc etc.
Watching cars moving around is no more intrusive than that, infact maybe less so as it tracks the car movements, it doesn't focus on the individuals.

Did I say I approve of CCTV watching me every time I set foot out of my house?

And from the crime stats I see, CCTV doesn't actually prevent or reduce crime, or particularly do wonders for the arrest rate, either. Every so often, there is a major bit of PR for CCTV as someone is caught using one, but for every one of those there must be a hundred where the CCTV is less than useless. (Jean de Menezes, anyone?)

So I wonder why the police are so keen on keeping an eye on all of us, when it doesn't seem to work on crims or on the police.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 06:12

Did I say I approve of CCTV watching me every time I set foot out of my house?

And from the crime stats I see, CCTV doesn't actually prevent or reduce crime, or particularly do wonders for the arrest rate, either. Every so often, there is a major bit of PR for CCTV as someone is caught using one, but for every one of those there must be a hundred where the CCTV is less than useless. (Jean de Menezes, anyone?)

So I wonder why the police are so keen on keeping an eye on all of us, when it doesn't seem to work on crims or on the police.

I disagree

CCTV is used to great effect with prevention & detection of crime.

Many arrests & successful prosecutions can be attributed to the evidence it provides. From shoplifters, to assaults & public order on friday/saturday nights in city centres, criminal damage to cars, vandalism to public property, armed robbery, even murders.
The numbers & differing types of offences that it has been instrumental in contributing to seeing justice done & those breaking it brought to count are huge.

As with any measure it's success can't be judged solely on if it totally erradicates a problem, but whether it helps in dealing with it.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 06:26

CCTV is used to great effect with prevention & detection of crime.

Really? Please prove this assertion.

Many arrests & successful prosecutions can be attributed to the evidence it provides. From shoplifters, to assaults & public order on friday/saturday nights in city centres, criminal damage to cars, vandalism to public property, armed robbery, even murders.
The numbers & differing types of offences that it has been instrumental in contributing to seeing justice done & those breaking it brought to count are huge.

Huge, eh? Don't suppose you have any numbers? I have had a car broken into within view of a CCTV and all the police did was issue me with a crime report number so that I could claim from my insurance. So the CCTV didn't prevent the crime and clearly wasn't much use in bringing anyone to justice.

In fact, the only real use for CCTV seems to be to provide the Daily Mail with articles "retracing the last tragic steps" of some innocent who snuffed it.

In the mean time, if facial recognition software ever does get to work properly, one of these days they'll be able to keep track of us all in a fully automated way with CCTV in the same way that ANPR does.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 06:36
I've already said that it isn't going to erradicate the problem & solve every case, but yes the numbers of offences that use CCTV evidence are huge.

Just look at the Police type TV programs that rely on CCTV & camera footage footage where you see offenders being arrested on them. That is all evidence to assist in the prosecution of offenders.

Listen to a few cases in court & you'll see how cameras are playing a valueable part.
Mine & mine alone.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 06:42

In fact, the only real use for CCTV seems to be to provide the Daily Mail with articles "retracing the last tragic steps" of some innocent who snuffed it.

You really should stop reading that paper spokey!

What this comes down to is how bad you percieve the threat of crime including terrorism. Is is better to reduce individual freedom in order to help prevent another terrorist attack or should we maintain our freedom and accept that terrorism is a part of life? I have heard arguiements for both sides and am currently undecided.

I don't think that cameras themselves pose a great threat to our freedom at the moment but it only takes a change of government to make it a different matter entirely.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 07:22
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

What this comes down to is how bad you percieve the threat of crime including terrorism. Is is better to reduce individual freedom in order to help prevent another terrorist attack or should we maintain our freedom and accept that terrorism is a part of life? I have heard arguiements for both sides and am currently undecided.

I don't think that cameras themselves pose a great threat to our freedom at the moment but it only takes a change of government to make it a different matter entirely.

Exactly

My viewpoint is that I don't care if the Police have access to where my car is moving at all times.
I'd rather have some of the protection that the cameras offer in helping the Police catch criminals.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 09:31

My viewpoint is that I don't care if the Police have access to where my car is moving at all times.
I'd rather have some of the protection that the cameras offer in helping the Police catch criminals.

And I do care if the police have access to where my car is moving at all times. It's none of their business.

I also disagree strongly with the erosion of all our freedoms to catch criminals. Crime pays far too bl00dy well, and if you're caught, you get six months of cushy life with a Playstation and internet access. I'd start with that, before I advocated a state where the police can watch our every move effortlessly.

I don't think the ANPR system will do anything to stop another 7/7, and yet, just like ID cards, that is the threat that is being used to justify this fascist rubbish. The Soviets were rank amateurs, the SS was a mere bagatelle. For a truly invasive, all-seeing state, come to Britain in the 21st century.

It's what your parents and your grand-parents died for in two World Wars!
Ciao,
Spokey

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 10:04

This is alongside my own thougts Spokey.

I'm undecided at best, coming down on your side at worst....not that I think we actually have much of a say in it, I'm of the opinion its just going to happen.

Best Wishes

Nigel

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 10:44
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

This is alongside my own thoughts Spokey.

I'm undecided at best, coming down on your side at worst....not that I think we actually have much of a say in it,

I'm of the opinion its just going to happen.

Welcome Nigel to the Realist/Fatalist's world!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 11:28

It's what your parents and your grand-parents died for in two World Wars!

Mine didn't die they were POWs .

They're for the cameras incidently.
Mine & mine alone.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 11:34
I'm against Livvy...I think, not that I want to frustrate the police, although I think they use the media to over egg the terrorist stuff, I'm thinking against this as I'm afraid the government will missuse it for other purposes.
Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 11:42

I'm against Livvy...I think, not that I want to frustrate the police, although I think they use the media to over egg the terrorist stuff, I'm thinking against this as I'm afraid the government will missuse it for other purposes.

I think the terrorist part is the thin end of the wedge. It is help with regards to other crimes that it will play a greater part.

Mine & mine alone.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 11:46
I'd be happier if it was just for police tracking purposes, and couldn't be used to convict for speeding or gathering of data for charging us to use the roads.
Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 11:53

I'd be happier if it was just for police tracking purposes, and couldn't be used to convict for speeding or gathering of data for charging us to use the roads.

I understand what you are saying & the government needs to be pressed hard for answers to what exactly they will be used for so that people can make an informed decision. If they are to go up, they'll need the public onside & for that the public will need to be convinced that the cameras will be used for positive gains in fighting crime.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 12:13
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

This is alongside my own thoughts Spokey.

I'm undecided at best, coming down on your side at worst....not that I think we actually have much of a say in it,

I'm of the opinion its just going to happen.

Welcome Nigel to the Realist/Fatalist's world!

..and I'm another member.

There's no point arguing about whether you like it or not, the government (Bliar) does what it (he) wants anyway. Plod are going to stop you anyway if they want to - I've been followed before and I've made it known that I knew, the difference is you won't know when you're being watched and I guess you will get used to it.. eventualy.

One plus point, if plod are harrasing you in the way that they drive they too will be on cctv (ie tailgating/following), the only thing is they seam to have the power to make footage dissapear..
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 13:13

Don't bet on it Rhys, there will be an exemption somewhere

Best Wishes

Nigel