Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBIG Brother Has arrived--NOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 12:47

Do you have a personal opinion on warning other motorists about speedtraps Livvy ?

In all the time ( & places) we have discussed this, you've never expressed one.

You know I'm on the side of the warners ( being one myself), and think the police should stop being stupid and get on with other things.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 12:59
I have mixed feelings about it.

I think it is a good thing that people encourage people to be aware of their speed, but I think it is a bad thing to do it only where Police are prosecuting offenders & the intention is only to frustrate justice.

That is a view that I would have in common with other offences where people obstruct the Police, not just for speeding.

ie
Where someone tries to discourage someone from drink driving = good.
Where someone puts up a sign saying "turn left to avoid Police drink drive check point ahead" = bad.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 14:56
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

The cameras show where you need to look.
You think the Police don't look at the assosciates of terrorists now ?
It is not the same as wiretapping which is far more invasive, that is a form of surveillance. Watching every car go by is not and can already be done, if you had the number of people required to do it. Cameras just give you the means to do it without requiring all the people.

Yes, anybody who was ever met by a terrorist, even the guy who sells him his cigarettes.

Watching every movement a car makes is pretty invasive. And if they just wiretap every Muslim household and don't listen to the recordings until they need to refer to something, surely that's no more invasive?
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 15:34
I disagree, one is more invasive than the other. One selects a group on the grounds of religion as well which is not on, the other doesn't.

You can't just wiretap anyone in law , you can have cameras in the street in law.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 15:49

I disagree, one is more invasive than the other. One selects a group on the grounds of religion as well which is not on, the other doesn't.

OK, why not wiretap everybody, and leave the conversations stored somewhere? Then if any crime is committed, they can just refer to the conversations that were wiretapped.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 15:52
Because it's not allowed in law without a court order, cameras are.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 15:56

Because it's not allowed in law without a court order, cameras are.

So if they changed the law to allow wiretapping the entire population for the purpose outlined, you wouldn't consider that to be an invasion of privacy?
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 15:59
No I consider it right that phone calls can't be tapped without a court order.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 16:03

No I consider it right that phone calls can't be tapped without a court order.

But if it was legal, the same way that cameras are legal, and it could help to reduce crime and catch terrorists, surely it would be a good thing? And nobody would be discriminated against, and they would only be able to review the calls in the case of a charge being brought?

Come on, surely you can see that it would be a great way of catching crooks.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 16:26
No

I happen to think that phone calls are private & the authorities shouldn't be able to llisten in on them without previously having shown good reason to a court.

I don't think that people's movements in public places are the same.

Those are my boundaries, different to, but much like you have your boundaries of acceptability.
If there was a proposed change to say that the authorities could tap phones without a court order I would voice my opinion against that, but with cameras in public places, or where an individual chooses to put cameras up (within reason) on their private property I support that decision.

Phone taps on everyone would require a change in the law, cameras do not, they are within the boundaries of societies levels of acceptability as defined in law currently.
A position that I am happy with on both counts.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 18:09

No

I happen to think that phone calls are private & the authorities shouldn't be able to llisten in on them without previously having shown good reason to a court.

But they WON'T be listening to them. They'll just be recorded and if they are needed as evidence, then they will be listened to.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 18:38
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

No

But they WON'T be listening to them. They'll just be recorded and if they are needed as evidence, then they will be listened to.

It's still goes over my boundaries of acceptability & those of society.

Quite simply it boils down to this in my view.

Every 5 years (or so) we get to vote for a party that we believe best represents our political outlook, whose manifesto compares most favourably with what we want done in the next 5 years.

The winners form the government of the day.

We have entrusted them to run the country & pass bills through parliament to make laws in our name. Make society's rules in effect, that we all have to abide by or be prosecuted for not doing so. Many of these rules have remained unchanged for generations & some get changed quite frequently.

At the end of their term we get to make our choices again, so if they really pee us off we can get rid of them, or if they are still the best of a bad bunch we'll keep them.

Now for them to be ousted mid term, there has to be a real falling out with the public.

If we really strongly disagree with the things they propose, then a revolution is in the offing. But for that to happen, what they propose has to be really against the grain for a large sizeable portion of the public. A large sizeable portion that are willing to risk all, because they feel that strongly about the proposed issues at hand. The goverment will carefully monitor feeling on these issues, so that they are quite aware of exactly what they can & can't get away with. What the polls say.

More often than not, there are a relatively small very vocal minority, who strenuously oppose the proposals & there are also a very vocal minority who are strongly in favour. By far the largest group however, are the apathetic masses who lay in the middle. Although the issue may affect their lives a little, they don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, certainly not strong enough to do anything about it & they will just go with the flow. What will be will be is their view on things. That's life.

Now it is my judgement, (I could of course be wrong & time will tell) that the majority of people fall into my last described apathetic group over this issue. As such the government of the day will have their way because the minority who oppose it don't have sufficient support for revolution. There is not the depth of feeling required for it. Those vehemently against it, will merely become increasingly frustrated at the apathetic allowing it to pass them by doing nothing. If they then, through their frustration, take more direct action (ie criminal acts) they will be dealt with for their actions as criminals.

That I also believe is the position with speed cameras, much to the dismay of the vociferous against them. They may affect us all to a degree, but the numbers willing to go out on a limb against them are relatively small. While many will sound off about them, the numbers who are willing to really stand up & be heard about it, are nowhere near enough. There just isn't the strength of feeling, numbers are too small.

The government wins the day again, thanks to the apathetic masses.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 19:16

And, of course, those who defend their dogma.
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 19:18

But why? If they don't use those records unless there is a crime, then WHAT POSSIBLE DIFFERENCE does it make?
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 19:32

And, of course, those who defend their dogma.

OR those who's viewpoint it just happens to match
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 19:33

But why? If they don't use those records unless there is a crime, then WHAT POSSIBLE DIFFERENCE does it make?

I've already stated that is my personal viewpoint of what I consider invasive & unacceptable without a court order. That's enough for me
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 19:35

I've already stated that is my personal viewpoint of what I consider invasive & unacceptable without a court order. That's enough for me

But if it didn't need a court order, if it was legal, and had been for a decade, you'd have no qualms, surely?

Think of all the lives you could save, and the people you could prove innocent.

Edited by spokey
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 19:44

But if it didn't need a court order, if it was legal, and had been for a decade, you'd have no qualms, surely?

Think of all the lives you could save, and the people you could prove innocent.

I would oppose any attempt to introduce it, but I would be bound by it if it was law the same as anyone else.
Mine & mine alone.
stephenperry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 19:49

moving on.... but not by much!

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22749-1962920,00 .html

POLICE are attempting to clamp down on motorists who warn other drivers of speed traps by closing an unexpected loophole in the law.

The Crown Prosecution Service is seeking a ruling that will make it easier to secure convictions against motorists who flash their headlights or wave warnings about speed cameras.

Ken Macdonald, QC, the Director of Public Prosecutions, wants the law lords to overturn a lower court ruling that makes it difficult to convict motorists who warn other drivers about radar traps. His move follows court hearings this year that cleared a motorist of obstructing a police officer in the execution of his duty.

Charles Glendinning, 56, was found guilty by magistrates but cleared on appeal when a court ruled that the police could not prove that any speeding motorist had slowed as a result of his actions.

The Crown Prosecution Service is seeking the right to go to the House of Lords to overturn the legal technicality on which he was cleared. It says that it should not have to establish that any driver slowed as a result of arm waving or the flashing of headlights before being able to win a conviction for obstructing a police officer.

The CPS has referred the case to the Appeal Court’s administrative court seeking leave to appeal to the House of Lords. The request said: “For there to be an obstruction of a PC in the execution of his duty by getting in the way of a police speed trap, is it necessary for the prosecution to prove that those warned were exceeding the speed or were likely to do so at that location?”

Mr Glendinning, of Yeovil in Somerset, was arrested last year and accused of obstructing a police officer in the execution of his duty. He denied that he was trying to warn other motorists of the speed camera on the A303 at Stoke Trister near Yeovil. Mr Glendinning said that his lorry had mechanical failures and he was warning other drivers that he was slowing to pull into a lay-by. He was pulled over by the police and found guilty by Yeovil magistrates last December of obstruction. In March he won his appeal against the conviction.

The CPS appealed, claiming that it should not have to prove that speeding drivers had slowed. The Court of Appeal dismissed the case.

Mr Glendinning said that he had spent £3,000 on the hearings at the magistrates’ and Crown courts. “I can only imagine how much this has cost the taxpayers already,” he said.

A spokeswoman for the CPS said: “Clearly there is an issue of law here that needs to be clarified and that is what we are seeking to do.”

FLASHPOINTS

• Motorists’ tactics to avoid detection include dirty numberplates and “anti-flash” numberplate spray — both are against the law

• In July this year the London Safety Camera Partnership returned £330,000 to motorists caught by speed cameras after there was found to be insufficient warning of a 20mph zone on the Embankment

• Anti-speed-camera demonstrators include a cyclist nicknamed Christ-on-a-Bike, who is accused of destroying 75 Gatso devices worth £1 million

• 2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
      2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
      1999 BMW 323Ci
      1995 BMW 318i SE
      1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
      1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
      1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
      1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
      1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
    livvy View Drop Down
    Really Senior Member II
    Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2005 at 19:52
    Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

Moving on....but not by much!

John (B 7 VP) has already posted that link a page or two back this morning.

Edited by livvy
    Mine & mine alone.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
      Share Topic