FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBIG Brother Has arrived--NOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIG Brother Has arrived--NOW
    Posted: 22-December-2005 at 04:27

With All the assurance of Govt leading lambs to their slaughter, if you havent done anything wrong--You have nothing to fear.

http://news.independent.co.uk/transport/article33

The first in the World---in the land of the FREE.

Edited by B 7 VP
SAFETYFAST
Sponsored Links

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 04:38

formerly the land of the free.

who the hell never does anything wrong!?!

back to the rural roads then.....

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 04:50

And here's me thinking this thread was a reference to a well known TV reality show...

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 04:58
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/transport/article334686.ece works better for me. Or not! 
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 05:00
Here is something REALLY scary:

Quote The term "associated vehicles" means analysing convoys of cars, vans or trucks to see who is driving alongside a vehicle that is already known to be of interest to the police. Criminals, for instance, will drive somewhere in a lawful vehicle, steal a car and then drive back in convoy to commit further crimes "You're not necessarily interested in the stolen vehicle. You're interested in what's moving with the stolen vehicle," Mr Whiteley explained.

So if you just happen to be driving alongside a known criminal for a couple of miles, the police will become interested in you.

Nice.
Ciao,
Spokey

I_MNL View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 11:07

I can't see the real logic of this. It's not going to help figth real crime, cos the crminals will know how to protect themselves.

The lawful and peaceful citizens will be again the target.

Shame on this

Citizen of the Earth

Explorer of Life

Marie-Noëlle or nick name MNL. NOT Marie or Noëlle ALONE!

Alpina D3 2007
E36 316 1998
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 11:30
Yes, but the government looks like they're taking strong action against criminals, they probably know it won't be that effective, but it makes them look strong. 

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 15:53
Originally posted by I_MNL I_MNL wrote:

I can't see the real logic of this. It's not going to help figth real crime, cos the crminals will know how to protect themselves.

Shame on this

What leads you to think that it won't help in fighting crime ?

If we look at the Met Police, the average arrest rate for officers on ANPR intercept teams is ten times that of other officers.
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 16:26
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Shame on this

If we look at the Met Police, the average arrest rate for officers on ANPR intercept teams is ten times that of other officers.

Wonderful. So now if I'm quite legally and unwittingly travelling alongside a criminal, I will come to the attention of the police.

Even if I don't come to the attention of the police, they still know where I've been.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 17:09
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Shame on this

Wonderful. So now if I'm quite legally and unwittingly travelling alongside a criminal, I will come to the attention of the police.

Even if I don't come to the attention of the police, they still know where I've been.

Your comment is not really related to the thrust of my reply to I_MNL.
I_MNL's comment & my reply were about whether this would have any effect on helping to fight crime. I believe it would & providing some reasoning why I think so.

But in relation to your comment, just because your registration is logged passing an ANPR camera it doesn't necessarily mean you have "come to the attention of Police." The ANPR will highlight the registrations of cars that are already of interest to Police. The system won't highlight your registration unless the Police already have interest in it.

The logged & retained registrations will be of use to Police where they wish to track the movements of vehicles that are of interest to them already also.

I don't see that because your car is seen entering a petrol station is in say Norwich, it is suddenly going to make you of interest to Police.

There is nothing to stop a Police officer now parking up in a road and noting the cars that drive down it without a camera being there & that would be OK.

I personally really don't care if the Police want to trawl through the images that a camera recorded over the last two days & know that I was say in London today & was in Leicester yesterday. So what.

When you went out in the Z1 today, you may have passed a Police car & they may have noted your car & you weren't even aware of it. Again so what, but what's the difference between that officer noting your car or the camera system doing it, other than the camera system will be more efficient in recording & retaining that information ?

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 17:42

But in relation to your comment, just because your registration is logged passing an ANPR camera it doesn't necessarily mean you have "come to the attention of Police." The ANPR will highlight the registrations of cars that are already of interest to Police. The system won't highlight your registration unless the Police already have interest in it.

Quote The term "associated vehicles" means analysing convoys of cars, vans or trucks to see who is driving alongside a vehicle that is already known to be of interest to the police. Criminals, for instance, will drive somewhere in a lawful vehicle, steal a car and then drive back in convoy to commit further crimes "You're not necessarily interested in the stolen vehicle. You're interested in what's moving with the stolen vehicle," Mr Whiteley explained.

As far as I can tell, what they are saying is that if you travel a certain distance in convoy with a known criminal, you will come to the attention of the police.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not going to stop and ask every motorist I travel alongside whether or not he or she is a criminal in the process of committing a crime, so that I can ascertain whether or not it is safe for me to drive alongside them.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 17:56

As far as I can tell, what they are saying is that if you travel a certain distance in convoy with a known criminal, you will come to the attention of the police.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not going to stop and ask every motorist I travel alongside whether or not he or she is a criminal in the process of committing a crime, so that I can ascertain whether or not it is safe for me to drive alongside them.

And how would that differ from now, where they observe a criminal travelling on our roads that they have interest in & observe you travelling alongside that criminal ?

Again the only difference will be that they see it with their own eyes in one case & in another a camera sees it. Neither on it's own means you are connected with that vehicle & what it's occupants are concerned in. In both cases you would have been unaware & anything Police could have deduced from the camera images they could have equally deduced from what they saw with their own eyes. So again I don't see a problem, as how will the camera make you a criminal or look more guilty, than if a Police officer had observed the same thing for themselves ?

Both will require some evidence.

Look at the flipside as well, there may be times that the cameras could help you prove that you were nowhere near a stated location where false allegations are made against you.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 18:30

Look at the flipside as well, there may be times that the cameras could help you prove that you were nowhere near a stated location where false allegations are made against you.

Really? Well, I'm sure that the police already do every possible check before they randomly accuse someone, so that doesn't really do anything for me.

Fact of the matter is: the ANPR blanket coverage will make lazy policing even easier. Just like scameras do.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 18:46

Really? Well, I'm sure that the police already do every possible check before they randomly accuse someone, so that doesn't really do anything for me.

Fact of the matter is: the ANPR blanket coverage will make lazy policing even easier. Just like scameras do.

Yes I think it will make Policing easier & I think it will lead to more criminals being arrested as it has with ANPR use in London.

What as I say, I don't see it doing, is adversely affecting the law abiding public.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 18:48

What as I say, I don't see it doing, is adversely affecting the law abiding public.

Yes, what does it matter if they watch you while you're doing nothing wrong?
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 19:06

You mean like they can now without cameras ?
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 19:13

You mean like they can now without cameras ?

They can, but because it's a lot of work, they don't. I work with really big databases for a living, trust me when I say that I'm scared of this for a very good reason.

There is a big difference between police driving around at random and some spotty oik sitting behind a computer terminal trying to suss out where his girlfriend has been over the last few days. Or some copper with a grudge being able to see your every move. Or a psychopathic copper being able to monitor your every move. Or a dystopian government being able to monitor your every move.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 19:22
Well they can stick one up outside my house, I'm all for it.
Benefits outweigh any disadvantages in my book & I'll smile as I pass them all.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 19:28

The benefits IN YOUR OPINION outweigh the disadvantages. In MY opinion they do not, yet I do not have the opportunity of going around and tearing them down.

Make no mistake, livvy, in 20 years, this country will be even worse than Soviet Russia was and it will all be because the benefits outweighed the disadvantages.

Do remember to smile when it's happened.

Edited by spokey
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 19:35

The benefits IN YOUR OPINION outweigh the disadvantages. In MY opinion they do not, yet I do not have the opportunity of going around and tearing them down.

Make no mistake, livvy, in 20 years, this country will be even worse than Soviet Russia was and it will all be because the benefits outweighed the disadvantages.

I did say "in my book" so they've got my vote of confidence.

You're right you don't have the option of tearing them down, unless you want a criminal conviction. But of course no government will introduce them if they think that their proposed introduction would mean them not getting elected (because it was so against public opinion that it would cause that.)

Soviet Russia  ???
Get that from looking at the tea leaves ?

That made my laugh right now.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic