FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIt’s all about safety!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 15:39
I once nearly got taken out by an artic on the motorway..

I was flashed onto a motorway from a slip road by one artic driver - then one in another artic overtook this one and decided to pull back in - where I was.. Now tell me where the the blind spots are!

I had to accelarate hard after swerving onto the hard shoulder! If I hadn't I wouldn't be driving anymore. Oh, and I went faster than 70mph is that allowed in this situation?

I never drive by the side of a rig (if I can help it), I don't trust them - Now I don't know what type of artic you've driven/drive or how many mirrors you use, but I've been told by a ex lorry driver where the blind spots are on a standard rig - if I can't see the driver in their mirrors then they can't see me.. I've also been a passenger in a LHD rig.

Oh and by the way, the police have said that to safely overtake another vehicle then it is acceptable to reach speeds over the limit (say to 90mph) as long as you drop back down afterwards - the emphasis on safely and quickly overtaking - rather than slowely like many artic drivers at 1mph (I'm sure artic drivers wind their windows down and have a chinwag )
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 15:44

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Oh and by the way, the police have said that to safely overtake another vehicle then it is acceptable to reach speeds over the limit (say to 90mph) as long as you drop back down afterwards - the emphasis on safely and quickly overtaking - rather than slowly

OOH! Controversial statement there Rhys...

I'm sure livvy will have something to say about that!

(p.s. I agree!)

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 15:56
Livvy can say what he wants, this was roughly quoted from a trafic police officer some years ago on a tv motoring programme while showing a piece on driving safety - I don't know which one or when it was, but it was what he said.
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 16:01

Livvy can say what he wants.

Aha - a clue to livvy's identity! Not that we needed another!

It seems to me that, whilst understanding what HE is trying to put forward, HE still has a very narrow view on the realities of daily motoring.

Perhaps driving in a marked car changes other drivers attitudes?

But don't care.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 16:18
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

It seems to me that, whilst understanding what HE is trying to put forward, HE still has a very narrow view on the realities of daily motoring.

A generalisation, maybe its a woman.. after all they all think they are better drivers
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 16:20

Aha - a clue to livvy's identity! Not that we needed another! It seems to me that, whilst understanding what HE is trying to put forward, HE still has a very narrow view on the realities of daily motoring. Perhaps driving in a marked car changes other drivers attitudes?
A generalisation, maybe its a woman.. after all they all think they are better drivers

No no - too late to try and wriggle out of it now mate!

But don't care.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 18:00

Oh and by the way, the police have said that to safely overtake another vehicle then it is acceptable to reach speeds over the limit (say to 90mph) as long as you drop back down afterwards

What a lot of tosh. Try using it as a defence to a speeding prosecuton & see where it gets you.
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 18:04

It seems to me that, whilst understanding what HE is trying to put forward, HE still has a very narrow view on the realities of daily motoring.

Mine & mine alone.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 18:15
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Oh and by the way, the police have said that to
safely overtake another vehicle then it is acceptable to reach speeds
over the limit (say to 90mph) as long as you drop back down afterwards

What a lot of tosh. Try using it as a defence to a speeding prosecuton & see where it gets you.

I take it that is your view and no one elses?
If this is the case why was it broadcast by a policeman on national tv?
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 18:26
OK another instance..

Traveling down the M1 a while ago - in the fast lane ovetaking a few cars at around 75mph, I saw a police car traveling at speed some distance behind me with two's and blues on - to clear his way I accelarated past the remaining cars to enable me to quickly and safely pull in as this was the only exit open to me, I must have touched 85mph before pulling in and slowing back down to 70.
The policecar passed me at speed, and took no interest..
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 19:07

OK another instance..

Traveling down the M1 a while ago - in the fast lane ovetaking a few cars at around 75mph, I saw a police car traveling at speed some distance behind me with two's and blues on - to clear his way I accelarated past the remaining cars to enable me to quickly and safely pull in as this was the only exit open to me, I must have touched 85mph before pulling in and slowing back down to 70.

Bad planning, Rhys: you should have seen the cop car coming ages ago and not overtaken.

Or something.
Ciao,
Spokey

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 19:47

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

I'm seriously trying to visualise a scenario where accelerating over the speed limit in order to get out of trouble would be the only/best course of action, where you would never have been able to see or wouldn't have been able anticipate the problem before you had to resort to that

Gosh, you IAM guys are just so perfect. It's a genuine inspiration to us all. I want to rush in and sign up tomorrow, just so I can be as sanctimonious and holier than thou as you are.

You are an inspiration to us all, livvy, and a great advertisement for what a fun-loving, grounded person an IAM driver can be.

lol, to the best of my knowledge Livvy is nothing whatsoever to do with the IAM.

In my humble opinion, there are things that can go against you when driving where exceeding the speed limit can be an answer, but, to back Livvy up...if I were on test, or in my case requal....I wouldn't be overtaking in that scenario in the first place.

Overtaking is now probably the hardest thing for me to teach a candidate.

I can't have them exceeding the speed limit...period.

On a lot of the roads in Worcestershire ( where I do this IAM observing), a lot of nsl's have been dropped to 40 or 50 mph, which makes the subject of overtaking very difficult, then just for good measure the local road safety unit put down loads of solid doube whites !

Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 02:24

Oh and by the way, the police have said that to
safely overtake another vehicle then it is acceptable to reach speeds
over the limit (say to 90mph) as long as you drop back down afterwards

I take it that is your view and no one elses?
If this is the case why was it broadcast by a policeman on national tv?

It is my view & it just so happens that it is also the view of the statute books.
There is no provision in law for you to exceed the speed limit for overtakes. Offering " a policeman once said on TV" is no defence.
In law you have to stay within the limits when completing an overtake & if it is not safe to do that, then the overtake is not safe in the first place.

Of course if you do speed in doing so, it doesn't follow that you will definitely be prosecuted for speeding if seen by Police. They can choose whether or not to prosecute, but you are leaving your fate completely in their hands. They can prosecute where they can provide evidence of your speeding & the fact you were only doing it while overtaking will not suffice as a defence.
The choice is yours ultimately, but if you decide to exceed the limit you have to be prepared for the consequences if they do decide to prosecute, because you are putting yourself & your licence on offer.

this was roughly quoted from a trafic police officer some years ago on a tv motoring programme

Was this at a time when the Police took as hard a line on speeding as they do now ?

The decision to report for prosecution is the individual officers & where you break the law in regard to speeding, that option is open to them. They are not bound by what some faceless officer said on TV once, they are bound by the law.

The only way for you to ensure you don't get prosecuted is to remain within speed limits. Anytime you wilfully or inadvertently go over them without an exemption, you render yourself liable to prosecution.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 02:39

I imagine with the blue lights & two tones on they were going to something that had a higher priority for them at that time.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 04:23

I imagine with the blue lights & two tones on they were going to something that had a higher priority for them at that time.

Doughnuts, probably.
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 05:38
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

On a lot of the roads in Worcestershire ( where I do this IAM observing), a lot of nsl's have been dropped to 40 or 50 mph, which makes the subject of overtaking very difficult, then just for good measure the local road safety unit put down loads of solid doube whites !

Same round my way. It's bloody stupid if you ask me. On one road even the police said that lowering the speed limit would make it less safe, but they still took no notice.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 11:42
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Probably because people keep making fatal mistakes overtaking, so they design the chances to do them out. It's easier than training everyone to do it safely, especially when people don't make any effort to get enhanced training off their own backs.

Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 12:27
Interesting comparison, given that you expect hospitals to be safe places and roads to be dangerous places:

Originally posted by The Guardian The Guardian wrote:

The number of deaths from infections picked up in hospital, including the so-called superbug MRSA, is four times higher than the government's official figure, campaigners claimed yesterday.

The MRSA support group said that the government's tally of 5,000 deaths a year comes from statistics compiled in 1994. Their analysis of statistics from official bodies suggests that the real number of annual deaths is closer to 20,000.

Half of those 20,000 deaths would be from the methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus bacteria, or MRSA, Tony Field of the group said. The government's 1994 break-down gave 800 out of 5,000 deaths as from MRSA.

Originally posted by The BBC The BBC wrote:

The number of people dying on UK roads fell to 3,221 last year - the lowest since records began in 1926.

Yet, the number of speeding fines being issued is growing, year on year, as is the number of miles travelled. So, we're driving more, breaking more speed limits, we are stubbornly refusing to better ourselves and yet fewer people are dying.

And if the goverment's statistics are to be believed, only about 1100 of the road deaths are attributable to speed. If they are wrong (and I think you might imagine what I believe!) then only about 225 deaths are attributable to speed.

Now, 225 deaths out of the annual deaths in the UK (about 620,000) is 0.03% of the total. There are about four times as many cold-blooded murders in the UK every year. There are between 5000 and 20000 avoidable deaths in hospitals every year, i.e., between 20 and 100 times as many people die needlessly from going to hospital as do from driving too fast.

Yet we have thousands of "safety cameras" and other invasive mechanisms making sure that we don't make 226 deaths by speeding and absolutely nothing about stopping avoidable deaths in places that are supposed to cure you, not kill you.

I can't help but feel that the emphasis on dumbing down driving is misplaced.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 12:47

Interesting comparison, given that you expect hospitals to be safe places and roads to be dangerous places:

Originally posted by The Guardian The Guardian wrote:

The number of deaths from infections picked up in hospital, including the so-called superbug MRSA, is four times higher than the government's official figure, campaigners claimed yesterday.

The MRSA support group said that the government's tally of 5,000 deaths a year comes from statistics compiled in 1994. Their analysis of statistics from official bodies suggests that the real number of annual deaths is closer to 20,000.

Half of those 20,000 deaths would be from the methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus bacteria, or MRSA, Tony Field of the group said. The government's 1994 break-down gave 800 out of 5,000 deaths as from MRSA.

I agree woeful.

Originally posted by The BBC The BBC wrote:

The number of people dying on UK roads fell to 3,221 last year - the lowest since records began in 1926.

Yet, the number of speeding fines being issued is growing, year on year, as is the number of miles travelled. So, we're driving more, breaking more speed limits, we are stubbornly refusing to better ourselves and yet fewer people are dying.

Whoaaa, that's a big jump you are making there.
Just because more people are getting fined for speeding doesn't mean that we are "breaking more speed limits" necessarily. Just because enforcement has become more effecient, seeing numbers of prosecutions rise is not evidence of more speeding just that more offences are being prosecuted.

The evidence from cameras is that "they" help reduce the instance of speeding, help reduce the severity of the margin over the limit & help reduce KSI's numbers etc. They do this whilst at the sametime prosecuting more of the people who don't change their behaviour (or change sufficiently enough) as listed above.

If your hospital figures are correct, just imagine how many of those people may have been serious injury RTA victims from speed related collisions. Who then went to hospital & got MRSA. Now of course if they hadn't been speeding & hadn't gone to hospital they wouldn't have got the MRSA. So cameras may actually be saving lives by preventing simple injury collisions not just the fatality collisions.

If you want to get a true picture of speeds relationship to collisions speak to the people best placed to have seen the evidence of what are the major contributory factors in them.
i.e. The Police officers who report serious collisions.
They'll tell you inappropraite speed plays a big part in collisions on our roads.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 12:57

If your hospital figures are correct, just imagine how many of those
people may have been serious injury RTA victims from speed related
collisions.

..and what percentage were caused by the police speeding, and hitting members of the public?
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic