Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big Coupé Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDAILY DRIVER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: DAILY DRIVER
    Posted: 31-December-2005 at 14:45

HI ALL,AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR,WISHING YOU IT NOW WHILST I CAN STILL TYPE OR SEE STRAIGHT!!!!!!

I HAVE OWNED A 635 PREVIOUSLY ON A 86 PLATE,NOW SOLD BAD MISTAKE!I  AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING BUYING A MUCH LATER 89 MOTORSPORT ED.I HAVE A FEW CONCERNS,WILL THE CAR BE OK AS A DAILY DRIVER?IM NOT BOTHERED ABOUT FUEL CONSUMPTION!

IS IT PRACTICAL TO RUN  ON A DAILY BASIS,PROBABLY BE DOING 200 MILES A WEEK ABOUT,ANY COMMENTS?THE CAR IM THINKING ABOUT HAS METRICS,WHAT WHEELS FIT FROM BMW RANGE OR AFTERMARKET WHEELS?

THANKS EVERYONE RUSS

Sponsored Links

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2005 at 16:18

I've used my 1983 635CSi as a daily driver in the last year, to and from the office and doing regular visits to clients in prison (mostly Leicestershire). All on the standard TRX metrics.

Worked OK for me

....only changed to 15" imperials at the end of October '05

Edited by Horsetan

Drew540i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Available from all good newsagents!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2006 at 09:59
They are okay but aren't as robust as say an E34 5
Series. They need yearly doses of Waxoyl and the
Metric tyres are utter garbage - harsh ride and
absolutely evil in the wet. The best all round
replacement is the 15 inch BBS cross spoke from
the E34/E32 with 225/60 tyres. About £200 for an
absolutely mint set with good brand name tyres and
they look absolutely 'right' for the car. New tyres are
about £60 each for a good brand like Michelin or
Pirelli.

I have a mate with a perfect, fully sorted (with FSH)
1988 example for sale - P.M me if interested.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2006 at 10:08
I bought my '89 635 Motorsport Edition as a daily driver & covered nearly 10k in a year before I retired it to weekend use.  Didn't have any problems with it.

I would recommend replacing the TRX wheels & tyres with normal ones from a 5-series, 7-series or 8-series as the grip on the metrics is pathetic. Also if you get a serious pucture that requires a new tyre you won't find one at your local Kwik Fit. They are very expensive & are only made in batches. They just aren't worth the hassle.

Wheels from later ('96 on) 5-series will fit but require a hubcentric ring (a spacer collar which fits around the hub). 17" look best but 16" give a slightly better ride. I use 8x17" & 9x17" from a '96 535 Sport.

Buy on condition & history. Buying a tatty car that "just needs a little tidying" is false economy & will just lead to heartache. Mechanically, the cars are very tough but the body needs looking after - front wings are £500+ each before fitting/painting. Keep all wheel arches spotless & preferably waxoyl them.

It will need more TLC than a more modern car but it's worth it!

Good luck.
AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2006 at 12:41

I would echo what's been said.  I use a 1990 M3 as a daily driver.  It's done 208,000 kms, and yes, we do have the occasional "issue".  However, it is sufficiently different from what is on the orads today to make you feel special, and that's before you even turn a wheel!

I would thoroughly recommend the older car.  For the money, where can you travel in anything like the syle?  people will be forever asking you about your car, and telling you they used to have a mate who had one, and how cool they are etc etc.

That just doesn't happen with an E46 or similar.

Get rid of those TRX's though, as they are an abomination, and furiously expensive to run.  I'd go for 16 inch wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1s, as they are fab in the wet.  Personally, on a daily driver, I'd go for the ubiquitous Alpina replicas (is is BK171?), as I think Apls look fantastic on the car, and they are close enough for everyday use, and comparatively cheap (wheels plus tyres less than the price of a set of new, and rubbish TRX's).

Just my twopenneth mind you.

I love to see sixes on the road - if there's a chance of one more, then I applaud it!

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
russnik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2006 at 12:58

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your advice so far,i wish i hadnt sold my last 635,meant to be viewing the car in next few days,its misano red but im not sure about that,not a rd fan,but cars i have seen in photos look smart.It is a genuine motorsport have checked with bmw,and i have print out of factory spec,and hpi is showing clear.The car has fsh/Robert stern EVEN ALL MOTS DONE BY BMW.134 k miles,guy is looking for 4k how does that sound,says it is spotless and all usual niggles working,guy has owned the car for ten years,2 owners previously.

thanks Russ

russnik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2006 at 13:01

Hi,

Sorry forgot to mention,head was done and skimmed by bmw 5000 miles ago.

thanks Russ

Drew540i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2006 at 16:18
Four grand is very cheap for one of those, but only if
it's in nice condition like Andy S says. A pair of wings
is £1000 plus fitting plus you've got all kinds of old
car issues - leaky rads, rusty brake and fuel lines,
ticking cam. Unlike other pricey cars that were
around when the 6 Series was current (Merc SL,
Porsche 911's, the V8 Ferraris), the 6 Series
suffered from the common or garden BMW badge
and most have suffered - they dropped like a stone
in value and too many were owned by those would
couldn't or wouldn't pay to keep them nice.

These days a really exceptional 635CSi Highline in
immaculate condition with absolutely everything
done (wings, brake lines, radiator, SI board etc) is
worth a minimum of five grand. Many have been
lucky and bought for less but not often!
But if it's been to BMW to have the head done,
chances are it's a properly maintained car. As far as
I'm aware, the Motorsport had the Bilstein dampers
and LSD??
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2006 at 17:08
Originally posted by Drew540i Drew540i wrote:

These days a really exceptional 635CSi Highline in immaculate condition with absolutely everything done (wings, brake lines, radiator, SI board etc) is worth a minimum of five grand. Many have been
lucky and bought for less but not often!

Make it nearer £10k if it has under 100k on the clock. Depends on what your definition of "exceptional" is.

Originally posted by Drew540i Drew540i wrote:

As far as I'm aware, the Motorsport had the Bilstein dampers and LSD??

They did plus a few other bits & pieces from the options list.

I think Misano Red really suits the Six though I am biased!

AndyS

russnik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2006 at 17:33

Hi,

Well he does want 4k,if all is as the owner states i might be very lucky,seems cheap to me as well.I have to travel 200 miles to look but i hope it is worth it.Im being converted to red,your red motorsport looks the dogs andy.Wheels look superb,what are they off?

What are common things i can look for,when scrutinising the car,was thinking about aa doing a inspection before commiting,but do you think they will be familiar with six problem areas or would i be better getting bmw to check it over?

thanks Russ

SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 04:54

Back to what I said re the Alpina rep wheels.  The BK171 is cheap and cheerful, and looks v close to the Alpina (19 spokes instead of 20 I recall).  Looks very nice indeed on a six, and I love them in Misano red!

Andy, I'm not usggesting yours are reps - they are BMW's own, from a Seven series aren't they?  Your car is just the dogs b's.

Russnik - if I were you I think I'd be realistic about buying it at 4 grand.  It seems cheap, and it just might be.  It might also mean that you have to allocate £2K in your mind for all the little jobs that might come up in the next few months, just to get them sorted.  Speaking personally, if the bodywork looks good and rust free, and all the electrics work, at that money I'd buy it.  Sure there will be tedious little things that you'll have to sort, but they can be done over time.  that way you get the pleasure of using the car and making it better.  If you are any good tinkering, all of that kind of stuff can be dealt with ove time, in a way that a rusty pair of wings cannot.

My M3 has not been a cheap car to run, but it has never broken down, has been fantastic fun, and is worth as much or more now as it was when I bought it 3 years and 60,000Kms ago.  There aren';t many cars you can say that for, and I reckon your 6 could be the same deal - how far is it going to drop from 4K if you look after it?

Tempting though a new M6 is (assuming you have 80K to spend on wheels that is) I dread to think how much of that money will have gone up in smoke in a couple of years' time and 20K miles.  It's a scary thought.....

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Drew540i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 09:52
Exceptional:

Perfect body with new wings and flawless paint. All
chrome and trim unmarked. The new wings are
important - I can remember late G plate Sixes being
rotten here ten years ago - it's an age thing rather
than mileage.

Mint interior with unworn leather, working (serviced)
air con, all instruments working, unmarked door
trims, carpets and headlining.

Mileage - it's not that important as long as the car
has been meticulously maintained. I've seen cars
(not just 6 Series) with less than 100k and they're as
rough as hell. Under 150'000 is more realistic with
cars this age and service history/maintenance is
everything. BMW service history just means it's had
the oil changed and new brake pads and the tappets
done once in a blue moon.

Mechanically it's got to be spot on. The brake and
fuel lines are known to corrode and new ones from
BMW as opposed to wiggly-woggly copper ones
always look good. New dampers are also a plus
because by 100'000 miles they're flagging. Similarly
service items that perish with age rather than
mileage - radiator, exhaust, front calipers.

A proper service history with stamps in the book is
also needed.

This is my definition of an exceptional car, one that is
in lovely nick and needs absolutely nothing doing.
With between 100-150'000 miles, six grand is more
than enough. I know of such a car! (Not mine BTW)
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 14:38
My wheels are BMW Style 32's - similar to Alpinas but easier to clean! I was advised against BK replicas as the quality can sometimes be a bit iffy.

Condition-wise mine would meet Drew's criteria except for the wings - they are original except for the section just behind the indicator which has been replaced with new metal & lead loaded. The rest of the wings were fine although I was quite prepared to shell out if necessary.

When I bought it 2 years ago it had 64k miles with a full service history. I wanted a top condition car & frankly they don't come at £6000 unless the owner doesn't know what they have. The jobs list on mine amounted to nearly £3000 but that did include a Inspection II service. All bushes in the front suspension were done (Bilstein shocks were only a year old & so were the rear bushes). Various other jobs that needed doing but perhaps weren't critical pushed the final price well into 5 figures.

I have no doubt the car could have been bought cheaper & the various jobs could have been done for less but I had neither the time, expertise or quite frankly the inclination to drive all over the country looking at over priced restoration projects before I found one.

I knew what I wanted & I bought it at a price I was happy to pay. That's why my wheel arches & the rest of the car are as clean as this:-

I doubt the AA would know where to start with a Six. If the car is anywhere near East Sussex you could get it checked over by Munich Legends - if the owner will let you as the are very critical.

Unless you can live with some of the faults that show up be prepared to spend another £3k+ to bring it up to scratch.
AndyS

russnik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 15:51

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the knowledge,your car does look mint,i might be lucky i will keep you all posted,if i buy the car i will take some photos,is there anything thats important to look for when im going through the service receipts,things that should or could be done to a six thats covered 130k.The car im going to look at has also had a plate welded behind the drivers side indicator,bodywork wise,thats all so ive been told!The car is in the Midlands can anyone recommend someone good to give the car the once over?

All i know i have looked at probably 5/6 cars in my quest and travelled some distance,and out of all of them this is the only one with headlamp wash/wipe that works,had completely new motors fitted in last 6 months,that to me shows a serious owner!

I hope my assumptions are correct!!!!!Wish me luck.

thanks Russ

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 20:04
One thing that does crop up irrespective of how carefully the car is looked after & that's the cam. Around 130 to 160k it will start to get noisey & the only cure is a new one. I wouldn't like to put a price on it as it will depend on where you take it. Ask Munich Legends & work down from there!

If the car feels baggy to drive you're facing a suspension rebuild. Whilst this can be done on a as-needed basis getting the whole lot done at once will really add to the enjoyment of driving the car.

Check the coolant system for leaks & signs of overheating. This has long been a BMW bugbear whatever the model. Look for evidence of regular (every 2 years) coolant change.

Take a look at www.bigcoupe.com for a buying guide.

Maybe you should have a look at Drew's mates car for the extra £2k !

AndyS

russnik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 05:32

Hi All,

I would be interested in drews mates car,or anyone else that has a very clean example,in the first instance can any car THAT FITS THAT DESCRIPTION mail me some photos to russt@fsmail.net. I AM A SERIOUS BUYER AND HAVE FUNDS AVAILABLE.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE

CHEERS Russ

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 14:32

basically the highline has the same engine as an E34, along with many other common parts. The rest of the mechanicals and electrics are E28, only the body and trim are significantly different to the E34 and E28.

If you are worried by looks then keeping the body and trim in good shape can be time-consuming and expensive.

Otherwise there is no reason why an E24 should be any worse than a 5 series of similar age as a daily driver.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 19:21
Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

basically the highline has the same engine as an E34....

...but beware interchangeability as the mounting points may be different!

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 12:59
Actually the Highline has the E32 7-series motor with 220bhp. The E34 had 211bhp, presumably to stop it being faster than the 7-series.

I don't know how this drop was achieved - exhaust manifold perhaps? I believe the catalysed (or should that be castrated) Euro version of the 635 was down to 211bhp too.

The E34 engine mounting bosses are in a different place but I believe some had un-drilled bosses in the correct position for the E24. Don't know about the E32 mounts.

AndyS

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 07:12

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

...The E34 engine mounting bosses are in a different place but I believe some had un-drilled bosses in the correct position for the E24. Don't know about the E32 mounts.

E32 is a direct swap only for the first year of production, assuming I read that info correctly.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic