Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArticle: Has the 3-Series met its match?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article: Has the 3-Series met its match?
    Posted: 04-January-2006 at 05:20
from here...
4 Jan 06
Quote Has the 3-Series met its match?
Conor Twomey
The BMW 3-Series pretty much created the small executive saloon class back in the mid 1970s and, in the intervening 30 years, no manufacturer has even come close to matching the BMW's tremendous mix of good looks, excellent build quality and sharp dynamics.

It's still the benchmark sports saloon and, as a consequence, it's still one of Europe's best selling cars, but now there's a new pretender to the 3-Series' throne and this one's got everyone talking.

Could the all-new Lexus IS250 be the car to topple the 3-Series? The first IS200 was a fairly shameless copy of the 3-Series, with its straight-six engine and rear-drive chassis, but it failed to connect with customers.

The interior was too Toyota, the dynamics weren't up to par and the range was limited to just one engine and transmission for most of its lifecycle. The new car is less of a BMW knock-off: Lexus wisely ditched the straight-six engine and stuck to what it knows best: V6s. It retains the rear-drive format and six-speed manual transmission as that's seen as essential to buyers in this segment.

The interior is much classier now, even if you can still play a game of "Spot The Toyota Bits" if you're bored in traffic. The electric window switches, the stalks, the door handles and the sunglasses holder all look strangely familiar, while the whole dashboard centre stack is lifted right out of the GS-series.

Sadly, the range still isn't expansive enough. The smallest petrol engine you can get is the 208 bhp 2.5-litre V6 and while we all rejoice at the news that the IS finally gets a diesel engine, it's the Avensis' 177 bhp 2.2-litre D4-D unit, putting it in a high tax-bracket in Ireland and giving the insurance companies cause to rub their hands together in glee.

At least the IS is good value. The cheapest model is the diesel-powered IS220d at €43,800, but it's got 55 bhp more than the €41,400 BMW 318d and wipes the floor with the Beemer in terms of standard equipment. The Lexus has 17-inch alloys versus the 318d's 16-inch steel wheels; keyless entry and push-button start versus an old-fashioned key; heated and ventilated leather versus cloth seats and a 13-speaker sound system versus a 6-speaker stereo in the BMW.

The €44,950 IS250 also compares well to the 218 bhp BMW 325i, which is only available in SE spec in Ireland and costs a whopping €50,850 without leather trim or many of the IS's standard toys.

Of course, the only way to properly evaluate the IS250 is to put it up against the class leader, so I rustled up a 3-Series to drive back-to-back with the Lexus. I'm going to avoid the whole subject of looks because one man's F430 is another man's Rodius, though I will say that in terms of stance and proportion, the BMW has the measure of the Lexus. The Lexus lacks originality, too. The bonnet shape; the way the grille's positioned and even the kink in the rear quarter-light all indicate that the 3-Series influenced its design. Buyers want an alternative to the 3-Series; not a clone of one.

Inside, the two cars are more distinctive, though neither will set your world alight in terms of style. The BMW's interior is the epitome of Teutonic simplicity, un-encumbered by BMW's i-Drive and devoid of any superfluous garnish. The Lexus isn't quite as sober, but that's mostly down to the funkier, glowing dials and the different shades of plastic - the BMW is a relentless wall of coalface black.

On the move, the two cars are as different as two cars can be. The 3-Series is lithe and lively, darting this way and that at the slightest tug of the wheel, urging you to turn off the stability control and hang its rear end out.

The IS isn't nearly as playful and is much less eager to change direction, with a slower steering and you can't even turn the stability control off.

More significantly, the Lexus' drivetrain is a mess, with a flywheel so big it won't let the revs drop between gear-changes, while the shift action wouldn't feel out of place in an '83 Transit. I hope the D4-D's drivetrain is better than this because if it isn't, there's going to be a lot of unsold ISs.

Overall, I'm disappointed in the new IS. I'm tired of the BMW 3-Series being the class leader, but it seems that no other carmaker is capable of building a better car.

Lexus had a bottomless pit of resources to build a better car than the 3-Series, but it only managed one as good as it needed to be and no better. It will no doubt sell by the bucket in America (doesn't everything?), but Lexus will never topple BMW in Europe until it puts a little more passion into its cars.

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 05:27
but the new 3 is so damn ugly!!!
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 05:32
Also to disable ASC on BMWs you press the switch. To fully disable it for that journey you hold the switch down for 10 seconds.
On the Lexus you need to do the following:-
Start the car with the parking brake off, then: put parking brake on; step on the brakes and release twice. Release parking brake.
Step on the brakes and engage parking brake; release twice. Release brakes.
Put the parking brake back on again, step on the brakes; release brakes twice; release parking brake.
The traction control light and/or VSC  light should come on, as the electronic aids are asleep until you start the car again.
In short: Parking brake, brake, brake, release all. Brake, parking brake, parking brake, release all. Parking brake, brake, brake, release all.

confused?

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 05:35
 stupid lexus! cannot grasp the concept of RWD....
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 07:35
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I think you need glasses!

It looks great, tail lights could be a little better but other than that it's fine. Not the vast improvement the E46 made over the E36 perhaps but it's sharp & won't date too quickly.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 07:43

what!?!

Its not a Rodius, but the repmobiles that I have seen OTR so far look a right mess - the worst offender is the rear from 3/4 to full on to 3/4!

A sorted example from ACS or the M Division may be a different matter, but the 'bog standard' models are hideous.

What worries me is that the 3 may well go the same way as the 7 & 5 series' in that the shapes and 'flame surfacing' make them very colour specific. Only dark colours - black/blue/antracite looks any good.

I expect the second hand market will be a disaster in a few years for any other than dark.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 08:11

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

I think you need glasses!

It looks great, tail lights could be a little better but other than that it's fine. Not the vast improvement the E46 made over the E36 perhaps but it's sharp & won't date too quickly.

Andy, I think you're the one who needs glasses.

The new 3 only looks slightly better than the new 5 which is horrible.

Driving in the car the other day and my wife says "God that's an ugly car, what is it?", "The new M5" I replied. "Oh" she said "is is one of those ones designed by that idiot", "yes, Chris bangle" I said, "he should be put in prison for that!" was her response.......I have to say she has a point......

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 08:13
I remember the E36 came in for a lot of stick when it was launched & people weren't too sure about the E46's chubby looks either.

The new Lexus IS is the first Lexus that hasn't been laughable in some way or other (like chintzy rear lights etc).

Jaguar X-Type? Oh please! S-Type? Oh Dear!!

Audi? All looked the same & now they have that grill!

Mercedes? ZZZzzzzz

Anything from the US, Japan, Korea, Malaysia etc? I think not!

Against that kind of competion the new 3-series is spot on.

Saftey requirements & wind tunnels mean the form over function days are gone. Make the best of it.

AndyS

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 08:31

5's cool, 3's only ok (I saw a white with sport kit on it which was cool though), 1 is cool, Z4 is cool... they just make everything else so.. dated looking. Go Bangle GO!

New IS is cool too. read that Times Article just there Killian - the 'ASC off' rigmarole is a farce. I read everywhere else though that the front end was very pointy; so much so that it feels a bit too tail happy in spirited driving. Perhaps that's why the ASC process is the way it is?

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 08:31

Steady on andy! you'll have us all queuing up to jump off a cliff with that!

You are right with the safety aspect, b****y pedestrian safety! Teach the idiots the green cross code and let us have nice looking cars again!!!

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 08:37
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Andy, I think you're the one who needs glasses.

The new 3 only looks slightly better than the new 5 which is horrible.

Driving in the car the other day and my wife says "God that's an ugly car, what is it?", "The new M5" I replied. "Oh" she said "is is one of those ones designed by that idiot", "yes, Chris bangle" I said, "he should be put in prison for that!" was her response.......I have to say she has a point......

Well I'm not the one driving a Honda (although I did have a few in the '80's).

It seems to be the case that Bangle gets blamed for all BMW styling. Given that he designed the abortion known as the Fiat Coupe which everyone except me seemed to love I would agree EXCEPT he designed the E46 and his TEAM designed the later cars (with his approval of course).

You've obviously instilled your wife with your prejudice - or maybe she was just winding you up a bit.

I'm not a great fan of the new 5-series except as a Touring but I like the 6 & 7 & love the Z4.

I don't see any of them reaching classic status for their looks but then neither will the E36 (which was always a bit of a mess inside & out) or E38 7-series & E39 5-series (both criticised for being too dull & conservative when launched).

AndyS

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 08:40

let us have nice looking cars again!!!

That's why I have my 635

AndyS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 10:22

Well I'm not the one driving a Honda (although I did have a few in the '80's).

My Accord Type-R could be accused of looking bland, like a lot of Japanese cars, however the new Accord is a great looking car IMO. I would have the 2.4 vtec S version over a new 325 anyday. It might not be quite as good a drivers car but with the cash i'd save I could get an E30 M3 for the weekend

You've obviously instilled your wife with your prejudice - or maybe she was just winding you up a bit.

My prejudice? It's not prejudice just because i don't like the way a car looks. Besides my wife knows her own mind and what she likes and doesn't like has very little to do with what I think. Oh and it definately wasn't a wind up, after all I agreed with her

I don't see any of them reaching classic status for their looks but then neither will the E36 (which was always a bit of a mess inside & out) or E38 7-series & E39 5-series (both criticised for being too dull & conservative when launched).

I think the E36 and the E39 are great looking cars and I liked them the moment I saw them. The E39 M5 looks so much better than the new car. Oh and the new M5 lost even more of my respect since it was beaten round a track by the new Masarati quattroporte in EVO magazine. It's not even the king of the big saloons any more. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 11:11

.....personally I think my car looks good, certainly IMO a lot nicer than the new 3 series

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 11:16
ooooh! that's a quick looking pair of slippers that pete!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 11:19

ooooh! that's a quick looking pair of slippers that pete!

Fastest pair of slippers i've ever worn

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 18:35
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

.....personally I think my car looks good, certainly IMO a lot nicer than the new 3 series

I'm sorry, I just can't take you seriously with that pram handle on the back

The E36 was considered a big comedown in terms of looks & build quality after the E30 & having had a close look at both I have to agree. There's no doubt that the E36 is the better car but only because it's a more modern design. It's looks just aren't aging as well as the E30 did.

I do like the E39 & may well end up getting one myself.

As for the latest Accord - there's certainly a touch of the Bangle influence about it.

AndyS

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 18:49

Peter.

Its all down to taste, ( and I wish I could actually afford your car), but I dislike the look of it.

To me it looks like something the kids have knocked up in McDonalds car park !

But then again...I like the S type Jag, Rover 75 estate etc.

Best Wishes

Nigel

m3tiko View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 20:01
Fair points IMO made by all....but i tend to agree with sleeper

A standard E90 leaves a lot to be desired and yes with cosmetic dressing will it only look better. Past models clearly indicate this...E30 to E46.

To the topic, can lexus match the bmw...potentially yes the car offers a lot more value for money. However, we are a brand label loving nation and hence the bmw will be hard to beat.I also believe Lexus should mix their engine lineup by introducing the more powerful version..the IS350(unlikely due to emmisons)....a match for the more power orientated

335d evolve 354bhp/742nm....M3 SEE YA!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 04:43
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Peter.

Its all down to taste

You are right Nigel. There is little point in argueing about asthetics since it is subjective and down to the individual. beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

But then again...I like the S type Jag, Rover 75 estate etc.

I don't like the S-type jag at all. I do like the Rover 75 especially in MG form, although I don't really like any estates.

The new Accord influenced by bangle?? You really do need to get your eyes checked Andy

WRT to the E30, whether it has aged well appears to be a matter of opinion. My boss for instance said the other day how dated the E30 looks now compared to modern cars.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic