Forum Lockede39 central locking problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Dont let the misses drive it!!

Direct Link To This Post Topic: e39 central locking problems
    Posted: 04-January-2006 at 05:45

Another problem that i would like to address to the bmw forum, as this has proved very usefull over the last couple of years. many thanks. I have searched for this but no specific topis on this..

My central locking used to work wonderfully, then i noticed that the keypad would not not lock it, but would only open it. I assumed this was the battery inthe phob so i replaced the battery in the key phob and it worked as it did many years ago. Wicked!!!!

Though this only lasted a day and now it wont work at all. The light on the phob lights up when you press the lock or unlock so i know the battery is fine, i was wundering (hoping) if anybody had any simple remedies to hand. such as fuses or has had similar experience.

Im also finding that with these E39 cars its one thing after another, ive had only 2 months driving the thing without anything being wrong with it, thought its allways the small things that annoy you the most!!!!

Cheers

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
Sponsored Links

Mick525i View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 07:22

Hi,

Just because the light come on dosent mean the battery is good enough to send a strong signal. Just for pig iron change the battery again before going mad pulling the car to bits.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 07:32

ill try that cheers mick.

i bought two anyway so i will just stick the other one in. I know that when i put the new battery in i could unlock and lock it from my bedroom window about 50 yards away (rough estimate) but then it just did not decide to work that nite. annoying....

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
318is-joe View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 11:02
If the new phob battery doesn't cure it, hard reboot the car.
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 11:10

also if it is the BMW alarm system, check out the siren unit-

Something similar happened to me, I ignored it as I didn't have time to look at it. I then washed the car and when drying it I noticed that the siren was making a very quiet 'screeching' noise, even though disarmed.

Later that night I was standing by the car and noticed wisps of smoke and an acrid smell coming out the rad grilles - something had shorted in the siren unit and it burnt out!

Unplugged the unit and everything worked ok again. Had to get a new alarm though! 

Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 11:11

What you mean like pretending to check the pressure of your tyres when you get caught kicking the crap out of it!!!!

or you mean take the battery off for 5 mins...??

Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 11:19

i think this as been discussed before in previous topics, i rulled out the alarm because as the key phob does not lock the doors then the alarm system is not activated. Although the alarm system does not turn on even if you use the key to lock the door. i assume the alarm is not activated as the red light does not flash (factory bmw)

Was thinking maybe the sensor for the phob might be knackerd or a fuse has gone somewere....

Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 04:57

Tryed changing the batterey amd re-registering the key, still no joy. checked the fuses in the glove box (No. 27,29) and they seem fine.

I guess its time to line the $tealers pockets again....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic