Forum LockedM52 Water pump pulley bolts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2006 at 17:21

Originally posted by Dave E Dave E wrote:

Good point whitey,

I will take this photo to Robertt Stern in the first instance then go on from there to BMW UK if necessary. 

Dave E
E39 M52

Let me know how you get on. To be honest theres a couple of points on e39's that BMW should recognise as drop offs. The other that springs to mind is the dashboard pixels! Mine had a new dash at just on 3 years old in April 2003. I noticed the other day that one of the digits in the trip mileage is now missing a couple of pixels. Thats 2 years 9 months and only 16000 miles!! Surely that's not acceptable either?

Trevor

2000 e39 523i with full factory sport kit.
1989 e30 325i Convertible
1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 03:00
Originally posted by Bill- Bill- wrote:

Very nice picture Dave.

I can tell that you will be a great contributor < spell... to this forum

Andrew thank you for your indepth thoughts and actions.  This Kind of post must help people ALL OVER THE WORLD I mean lets face it we are on the world wide web he he

And Andrew I remember your posts from october, many things, just now, slot in to place

Ta

Bill

Thanks Bill.  I should really write it up and put it into the How To Do Section that was made recently. 

Erm what posts of mine from October are you referring to? 

I can't remember!  I didn't post as much back then as I was sitting my professional exam - which I passed and therefore qualify for a Company Car  OR the cash equivalent  so I can keep my E39 in bits like the water pump, stat and all the tools I need to do it with!

I think I did complain about hearing a gurgling noise back in October but I put that down to the fact that I had just been on holiday to the wettest part of the UK I have ever been to and it wasn't up here in Scotland but, The Lake District!

But the gurgling noise was back yesterday, I then did top the level up in the expansion tank last night.  Hopefully it is just the last of the air working itself out.  None should be going back in!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 03:20

Originally posted by Dave E Dave E wrote:

Good point whitey,

I will take this photo to Robertt Stern in the first instance then go on from there to BMW UK if necessary.

Dave E
E39 M52

That will be the housing from a M54 engine.  How did you find taking on and off the clip on hose connections?

I was reading the Haynes Comic book the other night about the job I had done on Saturday.  Believe me the Haynes Comic Book made more sense AFTER I had done the work myself.  The job looks a lot more complicated on the M54 blocks than it was on my M52 block.  What is your opinion on that Dave.  You have to faff about with the expansion tank, the auxiliary pump under the rad and there looks like there is less room to work in due to the double vanos unit?  Hmm.  I do fancy a 530i next which would be an M54 engine but that M52 lump I have was nice and easy to work on.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dave E View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 05:49
Bill,
Many thanks. Now that kbannon has pointed me the way to upload photos there is no stopping me.

Andrew,
I always thought my engine was M52TU according to my copy of TIS. It is a straight six. Built in Nov 98 and registed in Jan 99.

Anyway, the hose connections would not budge at first and being wary that I did not want to break them in the process I enquired from Robert Stern but with no luck. I then searched through my TIS and found an excellent article on these very same connectors. The "what I call" very large stainless steel clips pull up (not completely out)to release the connector but because the "male" piece is cone shaped it is a very firm push fit into the "female" part of the connector. I had to release some clips by a gentle tap (on a useful protusion) with a blunt screwdriver to release. Others released with a twisting and pulling action.
Reassembly is to push the stainless steel clip home before hand to enable you to hear the definate "click" of the clip snapping into place when you push the "male" back into the "female" part of the connector.     It really is a good design feature but probably expensive to replace,

Dave E
1999 520i SE

Edited by Dave E
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 08:11

Yup you are right. The bit in the Haynes Comic Book is for M52TU and M54 engines with the first bit being on the M52 engine.  I was being forgetful earlier on!  I thought you had a 520i with a 2.2 litre 170 bhp engine but not if it is built in 1998!

Brain now in gear!

The picture above, is that during tightening or loosening procedure?  I had the tools swapped about during loosening and yanked them both up wards with success.  I actually put more effort in pulling up on the pulley holding tool and held the spanner still in my left hand.  The pulley holding tool has the longer lever so was easier to use.

In your photo, bottom left just below the right hand end of the rad hose you see an electrical connector.  The aforementioned book of parodies refers to this as an AUC Sensor (and tells you to remove it from the cowling before removal) but it does not tell you what it is for or what it does. Any ideas anyone?

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dave E View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 13:09
Andrew
I also wondered what it was but as it is appears to be in the same circuit as the auxiliary water pump perhaps it is something to do with that. After all if this pump jams or sticks it could overheat and cause all kinds of problems.

Dave E

Edited by Dave E
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2006 at 04:07

Dave,

I don't have an auxiliary pump under my radiator. Hmmmm?

I do have some form of a pump under my heater valves which is what I was running in an effort to minimise air locks on draining and re-filling the system when I drained my battery.  Do you have a pump under your heater valves in addition to the pump under your radiator?

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dave E View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2006 at 15:04
Andrew,
This extract appears to indicates that the M52TU has heating valves as well as an auxiliary pump.

Dave E

Edited by Dave E
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic