Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW sound system and radio suggestions..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW sound system and radio suggestions..
    Posted: 09-January-2006 at 10:24

Hello!

I put on my car (1983 635) the 8 speakers system (BMW sound System) with a Becker 830 (mexico diversity with code, produced in 1986-7) ...but sound is not so good:untill an average amount of volume is really good(a big improvement from old 4 speakers), when I turn up more the volume the speakers start to "pop" and to make strage noise then , sometimes, the speakers cut out(only when I turn up volume too much...).The volume is not so "heavy"...I tried to by-pass amplifier and installed the 8 speakers directly to the radio, and I reached a louder output than with amplifier

I tested the amplifier and seems in good conditions , speakers are like new(I removed those speakers from a car with 35k kms, sound system  but not the radio(!?!?)..It was a 1986 528i e28 owned by a 89 years old man..).

A radio repair center told me that those systems need a radio with 2x 20 W max output, or the amplifier will become a " distorsions-maker"...

Also a bad ground of power antenna could be a real problem

My radio output is currently doing 2x25  max ....

Does someone has got experience on those systems?

I do not have idea of the possible causes....

Thank You so much !

Francesco from North italy

Sponsored Links

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 04:23

Throw away the BMW Amplifier. My advice is if you want good sounds in the car, start off with a good source e.g. a modern headunit. These will come as standard with 4x50w. If you want to keep the original then i would buy a new Amplifier that can either be plugged into the speaker connection (Not ideal but possible) or an RCA lead. With this you can up the power to maybe 4x80w. Generally it is better to have more power in the amp then in the speakers. Distortion is caused in 9 out of 10 case by the amp not the speakers. However when having a more powerfull amp then the speakers if you turn the volume too high, when you hear distortion it will be the speaker exspolding and you will need a new one. However when this happens it will probable be too loud for you to be able to handle.

My system in my car utilises a pioneer MP3 headunit. I have three alpine amps and a bandpass box with a 10" MTX thunder competition sub. I have 4 speakers one in each corner using the standard 6x4 size and they are competition JBL units. I have a pair of 6" Pioneer units from 1986 under the seats and i have a pair of tune up tweeter on the dash bringing the sound stage up. The sound is pretty good, but the system could be better if i built some speaker pods for the front speakers and used a more powerfull amp system. Amps are 1x300w RMS 4x75W RMS and 2x35w RMS. At full blast the system is a bit loud to be in the car, but it is not loudness that it is built on. I am a bit of an audiophile and wanted a good clarity of sound.

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 05:11
Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

.....when you hear distortion it will be the speaker exspolding and you will need a new one. However when this happens it will probable be too loud for you to be able to handle......

Let this article be a warning to you

I expect demand for hearing aids to go up in the decades to come

siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 16:32

good advices about disasters caused by too much decibels in my ears...

I ensure you that:

1 i want to keep the car original( as much as I can);

2 with the amount of decibels coming from my 635's speakers(very few), i will not have risk to become as deaf as  Beethoven(the musician , not the dog....)

Francesco from Italy

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 17:12

Most car amplifier output stages are designed to drive a speaker load of 4ohms on each channel.

If you have eight loudspeakers, each 4ohms, you need eight amplifier outputs to drive them. Unless your units are paired in some way (e.g. as a tweeter and midrange unit with a crossover network) then you have no chance of driving all eight to a high volume unless you have eight outputs.

If you put several (say two) 4ohm speakers in series on each amplifier output channel then the current in each will be halved and the power in each will be quartered. As the volume is increased you will get 'voltage clipping' from the amplifier which sounds horrible.

If you instead put two 4ohm speakers in paralell on one output then again the amplifier will distort, but for different reasons. Again it will likely sound horrible except at low volumes.

If you wish to retain the existing system (in looks anyway) I would suggest one or two amplifiers, and as James suggests they should be able to take speaker level inputs, which is all you will get from your original head unit.

(However, if you are handy with electronics you can easily build a voltage divider network that will take the speaker level outputs and turn them into line voltage).

A pair of Sony XM-423SL amps will do the trick nicely; these will take the speaker level inputs, and are each adjustable for front/rear level, and bass frequency response. Best of all each is the size of a paperback book so can be hidden anywhere. Underneath the rear seats there  is loads of room.

Finally I would caution against the use of old loudspeakers regardless of useage; these would probably be made with paper cones (which deteriorate badly) and fairly stiff edge flexures. Modern loudspeakers can be much, much better than anything that could be bought twenty years ago.

I would upgrade the amplification/headunit first, and then look to the loudspeakers.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2006 at 03:48

I repaired sound systrem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to nico hoffmann from Germany, I have a really good sound system!

The known(known in Germany, at least)problem was that this systems have not a good ground wiring.he suggested me to add an additional wires from pin 18 (black/brown wire) to the ground of the car.

I turn on the radio, and i raised volume till  the system started usually to amplify distorsions and noise(at that point my system usually cut out and 3 seconds after it become mute)...I connected the wire and the system started to pump a lot of volume ...Good sound ,quite  better than newer systems, despite radio has not  pre.amplified exits and a monster-amp(I mean standard systems You can find on most  cars...I do not mean Bose or harman kardon with 400 watt output...My pt cruiser one for example is really good, but not like my 635, now)and before you raise volume to high uotput, you become deaf !!!

Francesco from Italy

Edited by siscobmw
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic