Forum LockedNurburgring 13th - 17th August 2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nurburgring 13th - 17th August 2006
    Posted: 13-January-2006 at 06:30

Folks

As I mentioned in Eamo’s thread about a May ring trip, I have for some time been considering a trip to the ‘Ring in August, to go on the official BMW International Driver Training course.  The dates for 2006 have just been published (13th  – 17th August 2006) and the cost per driver is €990 (not including your accommodation etc etc).

The official website is here;

http://www.fahrerlehrgang.info/version_en.html

The course is officially sanctioned by BMW and the instructors are all experienced race drivers and BMW instructors.  Over the course of the few days all the drivers are broken out into small groups (10 cars) and taken through the track section by section, showing you all the right lines and so forth, building up as the course progresses to full lapping with drivers finally being graded and prizes awarded etc.  There is also now a new skid pan where you can learn drifting/skid control and you get the chance to use Armco to emergency stop a car!

It sounds to me the perfect way to learn the ring.  I frequent a number of sites such as tyresmoke, pistonheads etc etc and  Eamo’s experience of a totally overcrowded track/carpark is becoming all too familiar, as are the number of closures due to accidents. 

The club used to have a big write up of it in the M Power section but it seems to have gotten lost in the website redesign.  However, the club Nurburgring Secretary, John (B 7 VP), has been very helpful in filling me in on whats involved.  With his permission I am just going to reprint a couple of his emails.

“Hi Mick,

Nothing to worry about, and everything to enjoy-at YOUR own pace.Our group will be approx 14/15 cars from N-S-E-West of the UK.BHP or track experience doesnt come into it, nor does having a V10 M5 or a 316i auto.Driver enjoyment and learning to be a Better driver does.

Each group has its own 2/3 km section which are coned off at each end, No entry for anyone else.We then instruct our section with a follow my leader drive thru-Or in Instructors cars showing lines-Or walk a small section showing entry-apex-exit points.YOU then go thru a section at 10 second gaps , so that we can see how you do, and then back to start of section to go thru again, and getting comments on how you are doing.

NO pressure or cars driving on your bumper , so you can concentrate on driving--NOT your mirror during these closed sections.At end of day, you might have completed 5 sections, and we then have 80-90 Mins of open laps, behind a leader so you can see all the sections joined up--.Everything is Safety First--unlike the pay laps.

I had Never been on a track day untill my first Ring Course, so you have a little experience already, and you have a car that you will really appreciate how good it is, ------and how YOU can enjoy it much better.

Very friendly group of people from all over the world, and a good time in the evenings--.What else would you like to know??

Cheers -John.”

And

“Hi Michael,

pleased that the info is what you wanted.With the Paylaps a newbe gets to feel intimidated, and feels he/she Must be a good driver straight out the Box---but it doesnt work like that.The circuit is difficult to remember for drivers who have driven it before, so newbe,s have too much to take in at a paylap session with bikers & cars ALL bearing down, as you try to sort out lines-gears-mirrors ++.

Our way of instructing is a non pressure intro to paradise---Slowly and with a method.1st & 2nd days are 12 hours of out the car and back in, drive and drive in the sections and try to remember key points of reference to remind you of what section you are about to drive.

We have a Great new Skid pan area, and a radio link one way so the instructor at a higher level can see what you are doing wrong/right and gives you instruction-Good/NO try this way--Best I have been on.You are in your own cars.

We also Have a Unique Armco session !!!!!!!!!!!YES, its deliberate!!!!!!all drivers take a BMW supplied by AG, and at 45/50 kph turn into the special armco section built for us, to gently Lean against the rail -clutch in & WITHOUT brakes--to bring the car to a halt, then pull off , turn around and do it again on the other side--Just when you thought it was going to be your M3 eh!!!! it will change your driving attitude for ever, if faced with a choice of the lorry in front Or the Armco.

Sorry--- not poss to get that earlier info back.You are welcome to use what info I have given you.

You can complete the Entry form on line with driver details.We stay at the Zurburg Hotel in Nurburg, www.HotelZurBurgDaniels@t-online.de  Single B & B Eur 48--Double 80pn.Good parking and good food.You can book this, they know All about the BMW course.

I have a 5 day Dover/Calais return for car and driver @Ł70.Approx 4.5 hour drive. Allow about Eur 300 for petrol-dinners-beer+ once you get to Nurburg.What else would you like to ask????? No prob.

Cheers-John.”

Anyone else interested in going?  I think it would be great if we could get a decent Irish contingent.  I gather the course is quite in demand so people would probably want to book in the next month or so.

Mick
Sponsored Links

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 08:53
Mick

Let me give this some thought over the next week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic