Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWARNING! Unmarked Subaru on M23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:03
The Police can't make you go faster even if you do think they are tailgating you. Only you can do that off your own back, they can't force you into it.

If you ever think you are being tailgated (by whoever) my advice is the same.
Don't brake test them that's dangerous & if you do that in a lot of ways it's worse than tailgating (two wrongs do not make a right after all.)

Ease off slightly extending your braking distance from those infront of you (it doesn't have to be much) & when you have a gap to move into (if you are in an outer lane on dual carriageway) move in (as you should anyway if you are not overtaking) & let them pass. I'd rather anyone dangerous be infront of me & on their way than behind me. They are far less of a threat to me there.
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
Sponsored Links

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:05
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

The problem is the police aren't the same as they used to be - there's no respect anymore (on both sides)

I think that sums it up well. 
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:11
Originally posted by scarface scarface wrote:

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

I don't see how the Police can bait you in all honesty. How do they bait you ?

Tailgating etc.  As you say, it's up to them whether they risk trying to outpace them.  But I can see a lot of people being provoked.  I see it as slightly unfair, it's not the same as them driving normally, and observing people's normal driving.  It's almost like the police offering you drugs and then arresting you.  IMO. 

With regards to the police speeding I was refering to say a panda car driving through a 30 limit at 40, but obviously with no purpose, more negligent than intentional I suppose.  Or a dog unit on a motorway doing 80 in the middle lane, again just going from A to B.  It would take a particularly stupid copper to go through a speed trap doing this, so the chances of getting caught are slim.  As it happens it appears that there's a bit of a blind eye turned unless you are being stupid, so I don't mind so much.  I would just get annoyed if the same officers tried to prosecute me for the same offence.

But it's hard for you to know exactly why they are doing what they are doing. As I say there is no requirement for blue lights to be used if they have a purpose that allows their use of the exemption.

They could be keeping pace with a car infront, measuring their speed.
They decide when attending a call to what degree they need to use their exemption. Just because they aren't travelling as fast as you think they could in the circumstances if going to a call, that doesn't mean that they haven't decided to use their exemptions quite lawfully, but still impose their own limits on that progress while still not having to observe the limit.

There are many cases of Police officers prosecuted for speeding where they had no purpose that required the use of exemptions.
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:14

The problem is the police aren't the same as they used to be - there's no respect anymore (on both sides)

Perhaps the public aren't the same they used to be either.

No matter what walk of life you come from, or what job you do, you will always hear people dreaming of how it was better in the old days & everything is going down the pan. That's life.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:14

My feelings too !

Best Wishes

Nigel

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:17

Don't brake test them that's dangerous & if you do that in a lot of ways it's worse than tailgating (two wrongs do not make a right after all.)

No but in the eyes of the law the accident is your fault if you failed to leave an adequate distance between you and the car in front, it would be nice to think of him having to explain the accident to his superiors. 

I'd rather anyone dangerous be infront of me & on their way than behind me. They are far less of a threat to me there.

Dangerous does not always mean fast.  Sometimes it is safer to leave them behind.  Sometimes there are more dangerous people who are not in a hurry. 
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:24

No but in the eyes of the law the accident is your fault if you failed to leave an adequate distance between you and the car in front, it would be nice to think of him having to explain the accident to his superiors. 

Not so necessarily.
Where there is no reason for your braking & you brake test someone you could find yourself charged with dangerous driving. Like I say, brake testing is an even greater evil than tailgating. There can be legitimate reasons for being close to someone where they have no options & there is nothing for them to brake for in the road ahead. If you brake test someone in those circumstances then it is a deliberate dangerous act. If you brake test a Police car then you can expect short shrift OR if they see you brake testing someone I'd expect they will go for you not the one who was close behind you.

Tailgating is being too close to someone when they have options (junctions left/right etc) or when they have no gap nearside on a dual carriageway for instance. Not when their only option is to move into a space available in a nearside lane  (suitable gap available in nearside lane on dual carriageway) & you are looking to encourage them to move into that space by introducing yourself into the rear view mirror OR you are in a contact position looking at an overtake on a single carriageway road where they have no junctions available for instance.

I'd rather anyone dangerous be infront of me & on their way than behind me. They are far less of a threat to me there.

Dangerous does not always mean fast.  Sometimes it is safer to leave them behind.  Sometimes there are more dangerous people who are not in a hurry. 

We are talking about being worried by a tailgater here. You are saying that the vehicle tailgating you is a concern. If that is the case remove the threat by letting it get infront of you. They can't tailgate you if they are ahead of you. Playing with them just raises the stakes and promotes road rage. Take a lead in avoiding that rather than promoting it's escalation.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:30

Livvy said :

We are talking about being worried by a tailgater here. You are saying that the vehicle tailgating you is a concern. If that is the case remove the threat by letting it get infront of you. They can't tailgate you if they are ahead of you. Playing with them just raises the stakes and promotes road rage. Take a lead in avoiding that rather than promoting it's escalation.

I have to agree with Livvy...but I did dissagree on one post !

Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:33
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

...but I did dissagree on one post !

But you always try to where ever you can
Mine & mine alone.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:38

...but I did dissagree on one post !

But you always try to where ever you can

This lot don't think so lol

So far I have been accused of having two identities, and after that of sleeping with you !!!!!!!!

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 17:56

My feelings too !

..and the feeling of a retired high ranking officer I recently did some work for.

There are no 'old school' officers anymore - there are more and more youngster who think they know it all - being clever because they have a uniform and think they are better than you. bang goes the respect..
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 18:00

My feelings too !

..and the feeling of a retired high ranking officer I recently did some work for.

There are no 'old school' officers anymore - there are more and more youngster who think they know it all - being clever because they have a uniform and think they are better than you. bang goes the respect..

And they'll probably say there are a load of back room lawyers out there who think they know it all, unqualified but trying to tell them how to do their job, with little or no knowledge of the complexities. Would you like them to come and tell you how you should carry out tasks you have been given at work with little or no knowledge of what's required ?

What's an "Old School" Officer anyway ?

One who gives you a clip round the ear with his rolled up rubber cape ?

One who doesn't have to worry about PACE limitations & can lock you up until they are ready to interview you ? (A time limit of their choice)

Old ways are best eh ?

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 18:12
You know Livvy, I think they were....I never got nicked for anything 
Best Wishes

Nigel

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 18:18
Yeah, hell, the police get a rough ride. My heart pumps pure Bird's custard for the hard-done-by police: they are too busy investigating the clothes of Big Brother contestants; or investigating people who imply that homosexuals might make less than perfect parents; or shooting Brazilians for no apparent reason, to actually do anything useful.
Ciao,
Spokey

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 18:21
Someone watches too much Dixon of Dock Green...

Whats wrong with a clip round the ear.. Nowadays when a cop says out to youngsters all they get back is a couple of fingers in the air and a bit of colourful language. Once over you got a clip, then when you went home and told your parents - they gave you one as well.. Too many sandle wearing lentil eating do-gooders around for my liking nowadays.

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 18:24

Someone watches too much Dixon of Dock Green...

You saying it didn't happen ?
Believe me it did.

Whats wrong with a clip round the ear.. Nowadays when a cop says out to youngsters all they get back is a couple of fingers in the air and a bit of colourful language. Once over you got a clip, then when you went home and told your parents - they gave you one as well.. Too many sandle wearing lentil eating do-gooders around for my liking nowadays.

I agree that some less than respectful youngsters are dealt with too leniently.
But assaults are not the answer to that.

Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 18:25

You know Livvy, I think they were....I never got nicked for anything 

Hardly the criteria to base things on though.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 18:29

I agree that some less than respectful youngsters are dealt with too leniently.
But assaults are not the answer to that.

[Edited]

Bit close to the wind spokey old chap, debate the point rather than make personal comments please.

Edited by Nigel
Ciao,
Spokey

lilcartman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 22:42

livvy are u the police or do u just know too much?

if the police want to stop people speeding whats best than a marked car at the side of the road or driving near you. marked cars save lives not a subaru wanting u to have a go after them.

the tactics the police use are wrong, hiding in bushes or behind bus stops or in unmarked cars. 

they should be stopping drunk drivers, car theives, road tax and insurence dodgers   

not the avarage joe who does 80 in a 70 zone.

whats worse some one who dose 80 in 70 zone or a drunk driver?

TRACKPIG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 03:28

a marked car stops the speeding in the first place. an unmaked car rakes the cash in.

REMEMBER- POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT KELLY REMOULDS
E30 325 Sport - Gone but not forgotten
E36 M3 evo
Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Piece
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic