FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWARNING! Unmarked Subaru on M23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 18:04
Yeah, I just bet not one other policeman went out familiarising himself with his car.

Definitely.
Ciao,
Spokey

Sponsored Links

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 18:06
Well I'm pretty sure that at least a few others will have at some time as well. But that doesn't make it right & I'm sure they would get prosecuted if caught as well.
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 18:07

come come livvy

"i think they were all aware that self familiarising was not training & never considered it was such. That is why they prosecuted him in the belief that nobody was going to wear that lame excuse"

Incidentally, the Police Federation also defended Milton. They said that he was driving 'in accordance with his training, honing his skills while possible and testing the vehicle's capabilities. errrrrr

e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 18:10
Originally posted by dutch dutch wrote:

come come livvy

"i think they were all aware that self familiarising was not training & never considered it was such. That is why they prosecuted him in the belief that nobody was going to wear that lame excuse"

Incidentally, the Police Federation also defended Milton. They said that he was driving 'in accordance with his training, honing his skills while possible and testing the vehicle's capabilities. errrrrr

He may have been employing his training whilst driving, but that doesn't mean he was training when he was driving to my mind.

I've already said I don't agree with what he was doing & neither did his colleagues, supervisors or the CPS.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 18:11
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Well I'm pretty sure that at least a few others will have at some time as well. But that doesn't make it right & I'm sure they would get prosecuted if caught as well.

Mmm. Just for going a couple of MPH over the limit? I doubt it.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 18:12
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Mmm. Just for going a couple of MPH over the limit? I doubt it.

The camera doesn't discriminate. Over the limit of tolerance = NIP issued.
Mine & mine alone.
dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 18:13
"the Police Federation also defended Milton"????????
e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 18:24

Originally posted by dutch dutch wrote:

"the Police Federation also defended Milton"????????

Thats their job I would imagine.

If we are honest here, the only reason we are all in the slightest bit interested in what he did is the total miss-management of how the scameras were introduced into this country.

Best Wishes

Nigel

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 18:37
60 in a 30, 120 in a 60 and 160 in a 70. 

To my mind that's dangerous even with 'a police purpose'.  The old chesnut 'if a kid ran out..' springs to mind.  He'd have little more chance of avoiding an accident than we would.  There's possibly a misconception that police advanced driving makes you superhuman. 

There is a time and a place to test the limits of the car, and a limit to how far to push it, and I really don't think that was it. 

I'm glad you agree Livvy. 
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 18:54
Originally posted by scarface scarface wrote:

To my mind that's dangerous even with 'a police purpose'.  The old chesnut 'if a kid ran out..' springs to mind.  He'd have little more chance of avoiding an accident than we would.  There's possibly a misconception that police advanced driving makes you superhuman. 

There is a time and a place to test the limits of the car, and a limit to how far to push it, and I really don't think that was it. 

I'm glad you agree Livvy. 

I agree he was wrong to be doing what he was doing.
I agree that Police training can't make you superhuman.
I would state however that I don't think you can get training  anywhere else that can better equip you to travel at higher speeds on our roads.
I would also say that the majority of the public if subjected to that training could pass it as well.

We can't however say the speed he was doing was dangerous at the time though unless we have viewed the evidence, because it is dependent on the circumstances. I have never subscrribed to speed in itself being dangerous.
It is my understanding that he was charged with dangerous driving by virtue of the speed, but the court had available the video of his driving & they declared there was no actual danger caused.

That fact displays how hard it is to get a conviction for dangerous driving etc on speed alone & why we need speed limits. Otherwise there would be no way to enforce sensible speeds wholesale on our roads.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 19:10

We can't however say the speed he was doing was dangerous at the time though unless we have viewed the evidence, because it is dependent on the circumstances.

So, one rule for us ... because I'm sure no policeman would ever tell me that doing 60 on a dead-straight, empty, well-lit road that happened to be a 30 zone was not dangerous.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 19:12

We can't however say the speed he was doing was dangerous at the time though unless we have viewed the evidence, because it is dependent on the circumstances.

So, one rule for us ... because I'm sure no policeman would ever tell me that doing 60 on a dead-straight, empty, well-lit road that happened to be a 30 zone was not dangerous.

How can I tell you what a Policeman will say to you. It may be dangerous it may not be. But if you are being prosecuted for excess speed I would say they could not prove danger was present. They are merely prosecuting you because you were over a limit which is designed to be preventative in allowing danger to occur.
If they think they can prove the danger they charge you with both excess speed & dangerous driving.

Dangerous driving is based on opinion in relation to circumtances, speeding is not, it's absolute.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 19:16
He may CHARGE me only with speeding, but I'll bet a fiver (or even a tenner) I will get a mahoosive lecture about how dangerous it was for me to do what I was doing, and how lucky I am that he's not charging me with dangerous driving.
Ciao,
Spokey

stephenperry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 19:17

i've always wondered livvy, are/were you a serving traffic police officer?

just curious

Edited by stephenperry

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 19:18

He may CHARGE me only with speeding, but I'll bet a fiver (or even a tenner) I will get a mahoosive lecture about how dangerous it was for me to do what I was doing, and how lucky I am that he's not charging me with dangerous driving.

As I said I can't account for what he'll say. But the important thing is what can they prove.
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 19:19
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

i've always wondered livvy, are/were you a serving traffic police officer?

just curious

No
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 19:19

As I said I can't account for what he'll say. But the important thing is what can they prove.

I'll put a fiver down. Wouldn't you?
Ciao,
Spokey

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 19:41

I would state however that I don't think you can get training  anywhere else that can better equip you to travel at higher speeds on our roads.

I don't disagree with that, I was just saying that there are limits, before you reach the cars limits ,no matter who you are as you're not the only factor, it's not like he was on a race track.  It was reckless, for no valid purpose.  IMO

I would also say that the majority of the public if subjected to that training could pass it as well.

You obviously have a higher opinion of the general public than me   That does actually surprise me.  The police I have heard interviewed have always given me the opposite impression.

We can't however say the speed he was doing was dangerous at the time though unless we have viewed the evidence, because it is dependent on the circumstances. I have never subscrribed to speed in itself being dangerous.

I concede that.  I suppose you see the limit and think of a road you know with that limit and imagine him there.  It is possible he was on a road with an inappropriately low limit, they are springing up everywhere.

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 20:00

I don't disagree with that, I was just saying that there are limits, before you reach the cars limits ,no matter who you are as you're not the only factor, it's not like he was on a race track.  It was reckless, for no valid purpose.  IMO

There are various limits. Yours, the cars, the conditions. Some people could never reach the cars limits safely before outrunning their own. Others can.
On public roads you should never be approaching the limits of any of them. You should always be within limits with a bit in reserve.
On the race track you can operate on the limit because it's a more sterile controlled environment.
I can't say he was reckless. His speed was very high on public roads. It may or may not have been. The court said it wasn't.

You obviously have a higher opinion of the general public than me   That does actually surprise me.  The police I have heard interviewed have always given me the opposite impression.

The Police are representative of the public they serve. As such their standard of driving is representative of the public. Some good, some bad & a lot of indifferently poor.
Why wouldn't the public who started from the same levels be able to pass the courses that a Police driver does ?
Most of the public could never afford what it would cost on the other hand.

I concede that.  I suppose you see the limit and think of a road you know with that limit and imagine him there.  It is possible he was on a road with an inappropriately low limit, they are springing up everywhere.

Indeed taht's what they do.
Say 60 in a 30 & they think in a quiet residential side street with children playing.
There are however 30's in very different circumstances where at certain times speeds higher than 60 could be safe. (I can think of some) but I at the sametime can see the reason why it's a 30, because of the problems that occur at other times.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 11:32

I hate burglary.

But the fact is a very small proportion of Police resources are put into traffic enforcement compared to crimes like burglaries.

More of the same.

Quote A 92-year-old man whose car was stolen was blackmailed by youths who came to his home and demanded £50 to return it.

And when he stalled the youths to buy some time so that the police could swoop and arrest them, no officers arrived in time.

Not even when they're on a plate.
Ciao,
Spokey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic