FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWARNING! Unmarked Subaru on M23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: WARNING! Unmarked Subaru on M23
    Posted: 18-January-2006 at 15:18

May be of interest for the Sussex guy's. Spotted today on the M23 around Peace Pottage an unmarked dark metallic Impreza with only the flashing blue lights in the windows, NOTHING else to ID it. It was nicking an Audi A6 northbound. Sorry, didn't catch the exact colour or reg as I was hammering along!

I'd claim entrapment!

2000 e39 523i with full factory sport kit.
1989 e30 325i Convertible
1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
Sponsored Links

Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 15:54
Can an Impreza outrun an M3csl (156mph officially recorded)
Robert Born
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 16:00
Originally posted by whitey whitey wrote:

I'd claim entrapment!

On what basis ?
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 17:08
Livvy, How about putting inferior cars in their place
Robert Born
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 17:12
Originally posted by Robmw Robmw wrote:

Livvy, How about putting inferior cars in their place

Don't get what you mean by that.
Mine & mine alone.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 17:23
Probably the idea of the police having expensive high performance cars instead of normal family cars that have been souped up a bit (maybe)

Edited by Rhys
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 17:31
The Police purchase cars with two criteria in mind.

Firstly they have to fit the purpose for which they are intended & they have to present value for money over their working life.

There is a wider variety of vehicles that can satisfy the first criteria than the second. Quite often what may seem like the more expensive purchase in the first place, infact offers greater cost effectiveness over the vehicles life. Police don't pay anything like list price on purchases, they get discounts by purchasing in bulk & the premium marques have a much higher resale value depreciating far less than other vehicles that may have been cheaper in the first place.

That's got nothing to do with entrapment though, neither has the use of unmarked cars either.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 17:43
I always remember the general manager where I used to work had a Rover Montego Countryman estate (used to wind him up by calling it an Austin..) What made it different was it was ex-police, the security for the Royal family I believe. It had the origional engine taken out and a much bigger one put in then tuned (IIRC it was detuned when it was sold at the auction the company got it from). Still had holes and stuff on the dashboard from the audio and other gear that was fitted. It went of course like stink..

He was gutted when the comapny closed and he had to give it up - didn't even offer to sell it to him (he asked as well)

Edited by Rhys
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
whitey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2006 at 16:25

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

That's got nothing to do with entrapment though, neither has the use of unmarked cars either.

So why don't they use say a rover 75, or a V6 Mondeo? Surely they'd get a better discount.

Maybe they do get a good reduction in price but I think another reason is that they know that when they storm up behind another Impreza or a CSL or any other high performance car, there is a high chance that the the guys going to go for it. I feel thats entrapment.

The whole safety issue about speeding should be addressed by increasing the visability of the Police and the number about. Not to give the person a reason to "go for it". My opinion and I'm sticking by it. 

I'm not against the use of unmarked cars in the right circumstances. However I feel an Impreza is a bit too blatent to say the least.

Edited by whitey
2000 e39 523i with full factory sport kit.
1989 e30 325i Convertible
1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2006 at 17:48
I have had instances where I'm suspicious that it's a copper trying to push me to go faster.  If I'm in any doubt as to the identity of the driver behind I'll stay around 80 until I can let him past.  Luckily I'm not one of these people that has a problem with people wanting to travel faster than me, I'm quite happy to let people overtake.  
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2006 at 18:14
They do use a lot of V6 mondeos & 2litre ones.

Why is there a high chance of someone going for it ?
No one can make you drive faster than the limit, the person who has control of the car is supposed to be you.

If you go faster than the limit there is no-one to blame but you, it's your personal responsibility. If someone is travelling faster than you & the limit then just let them go by. You don't have to view it as a threat to your masculinity that another car on the road is travelling faster than you & the speed limit. That's their choice to take the risk & them who'll get the points if caught.

Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2006 at 18:20

You don't have to view it as a threat to your masculinity that another car on the road is travelling faster than you & the speed limit.

What do you view as a threat to your masculinity?
Ciao,
Spokey

darkspirit View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 13:27

They do use a lot of V6 mondeos & 2litre ones.

Why is there a high chance of someone going for it ?
No one can make you drive faster than the limit, the person who has control of the car is supposed to be you.

If you go faster than the limit there is no-one to blame but you, it's your personal responsibility. If someone is travelling faster than you & the limit then just let them go by. You don't have to view it as a threat to your masculinity that another car on the road is travelling faster than you & the speed limit. That's their choice to take the risk & them who'll get the points if caught.

Come on! In the real world the Scooby is percieved as a boy racers car and myself like most people have the urge to 'have a go' the police know this and this is there reason for having it unmarked.

It is no threat to my masculinity when there is another car wishing to travel faster than me, if I choose to 'have a go' then it is because I enjoy it. I admit there is a 'time and a place' for this, speeding in a 30 zone past a school is reckless and punishment should be dealt but on a clear open road away from other people and in good conditions, why not?

Mark

'99 E39 528i SE Manual Scwartz black with Grey leather

In the words of SPACEBALLS 'may the schwartz be with you...' :-)

dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 13:52
easy darkspirit don't lose your newly gained c+e!!
e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
darkspirit View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 13:55
 Yeah, for some reason I never win racing scoobys in my truck
'99 E39 528i SE Manual Scwartz black with Grey leather

In the words of SPACEBALLS 'may the schwartz be with you...' :-)

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 13:58
On public roads there is no time and place to "have a go".
If you value your licence don't risk it, if you don't value it, don't blame someone else when you lose it. It is your choice & responsibility.

That's why not.
Mine & mine alone.
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 15:49
Just out of curiosity livvy, what are your views on the police baiting drivers to break the limit?  I concede that they're not forcing you.

And how about the police driving noticeably in excess of the speed limit during normal driving (i.e. without lights/sirens).  Do you subscribe to the perk of the job way of thinking? 

P.S. Before you ask, I have no physical evidence of any specific incidents   I'm assuming that we've both seen it happen. 
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 16:18
Originally posted by scarface scarface wrote:

Just out of curiosity livvy, what are your views on the police baiting drivers to break the limit?  I concede that they're not forcing you.

And how about the police driving noticeably in excess of the speed limit during normal driving (i.e. without lights/sirens).  Do you subscribe to the perk of the job way of thinking? 

P.S. Before you ask, I have no physical evidence of any specific incidents   I'm assuming that we've both seen it happen. 

I don't see how the Police can bait you in all honesty. How do they bait you ?
If you know it's the Police you are a fool to get invloved in racing away from them or after them. If it's not the Police you are equally a fool for doing the same with another vehicle on the public roads, you've no idea who or what you are getting involved with. Someone who you know nothing about who is willing to reckless race you may just as well be willing to run you off the road in the stolen car they are in that you have no knowledge of.
Either way it has to be in you to start with. Nobody can force me to go over the limit against my will.

I don't subscribe to breaking speed limits being a perk of the Police's job.

The thing about Police driving in excess of the limit, is that not having blue lights & two tones on is no indication of them not lawfully being able to break the limit. You can't tell from that alone that they are abusing the system. There is no requirement in law for them to use blue lights etc when using any of their exemptions. (That's for any of them not not just speed.)

If a Police car goes through a GATSO the driver will get a NIP the same as you. They then have to claim an exemption & show the purpose that afforded them that exemption at that time. This is supervised & where they can't/don't show that lawful exemption they can & do get prosecuted. That can happen without blue lights on or with blue lights on, it makes no difference. No Police purpose as required in law = no exemption & prosecution.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 16:42
What about police tailgating to make people go faster? They don't like it when you dab your brakes do they..

I know someone this has happened to and I'll believe him before anyone else.

Also on the subject of baiting, I think having performance cars traveling around is a good idea - only if they don't bait people. If some chav decides to take one on then fairs fair - nick 'em. One more off the road..

The problem is the police aren't the same as they used to be - there's no respect anymore (on both sides)
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2006 at 16:57

I don't see how the Police can bait you in all honesty. How do they bait you ?

Tailgating etc.  As you say, it's up to them whether they risk trying to outpace them.  But I can see a lot of people being provoked.  I see it as slightly unfair, it's not the same as them driving normally, and observing people's normal driving.  It's almost like the police offering you drugs and then arresting you.  IMO. 

With regards to the police speeding I was refering to say a panda car driving through a 30 limit at 40, but obviously with no purpose, more negligent than intentional I suppose.  Or a dog unit on a motorway doing 80 in the middle lane, again just going from A to B.  It would take a particularly stupid copper to go through a speed trap doing this, so the chances of getting caught are slim.  As it happens it appears that there's a bit of a blind eye turned unless you are being stupid, so I don't mind so much.  I would just get annoyed if the same officers tried to prosecute me for the same offence.

Edited by scarface
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic