Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCracked Windscreens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked Windscreens
    Posted: 19-January-2006 at 08:43

All,

I got a cracked windscreen on my M3 E46, it has a comfort climate screen (no rain sensors). Anyone know what the true price is of this, I have been quoted £397 from autoglass for just the bmw windscreen with the blue strip on the top. Are they taking the ps or what?

Other Windscreen companies have offered a replacement part but alas its not BMW, is it worth going for the bmw screen or a standard replacement. Also, the driving mirror is a auto dimming one plus i have sat nav, tv, will this cause problems when they refit the glass?

Edited by badboyc
Sponsored Links

h3lter View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2006 at 19:50
most insurance companies have a windscreen policy, u pay sumamt like 40 quid and it gets dun! and it dont affect ure premium! have a word see wot they say, worst they can say is no!

h3

325 cab 1995
neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 14:29
I agree with H3. Nearly every fully comp policy covers glass, and some TPFT. The excess could be anywhere between 15 and 100 quid but that's a lot less than anything you would be charged. Also, most insurers have a tie in with a large windscreen company. Check your policy or ring your company. In my experience they don't care how the screen was broken. I have known someone to buy a car with no windscreen and then claim on their policy. I think this is a terrible thing to do and you must not think I condone this...
Cheers, Neil
Beemerboy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2006 at 11:01

Generally speaking glass is like most other parts for your car i.e. you pay a lot more for a part if it comes from the main dealer, even thuogh the same part from the same manufacturer is available elsewhere cheaper, but without the BMW badge. I'm not sure what price this screen should be , but you could get a price for a screen and a moulding from BMW and then get a "fit only" price from autoglass it's possible that this could be cheaper.

With regard to your mirror,sat nav and tv, none of these should cause any problems.

Whoever fits your windscreen needs to know what they are doing as a badly fitted screen can lead to all sorts of problems, from undermining the overall structural rigidity of the vehicle, either through corrosion (which will eventually lead to bond failure) or the use of non OEM spec urethane, to simple leaks or wind noise, not to mention the damage that can be done in removing the old screen e.g. paint work, dash , headlining. So basically keep an eye on the fitter and hope he is into cars  because some of them just don't give a fcuk.

hope this helps, Don

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic