Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNewbie to BMWS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie to BMWS
    Posted: 24-January-2006 at 11:00

Hi BMW 7 Series Guys,
Just signed up but from my user name you'll probably guess i've been more into Chevys than BMWs but i've just been offered a 730iSE and as i've never owned a BMW thought i might give it a go,its a nice looking car, I've been driving Yank motors for over 25 years and it's gonna take some getting used to driving RHD again, lol i'm sure the BMW will probably be easier to park in city car parks than my Truck but I wont be selling the Truck i imported it from the USA in 2004 and have blinged it up and added one or two performance mods it has a top speed of 130 (limited at the moment) and goes like stink for a 20ft long truck, lol surprises quite a few at the traffic light drags lol
now to the reason i'm on here
any tips on where to insure the BMW and anything i need to look for on the 730.. any weakspots known problems etc Thanks in advance for any sugesstions guys

I should be collecting it on Thursday so i'll know more about it then, but what i do know is ..its a 1990 730iSE in White has cloth interior, 18" alloys Low profile tires.
anyway thats it for now,
all the best
eamonn

BTW. I'll change my signature picture when i've got some pics of the e32

Sponsored Links

Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2006 at 12:03

You might want to look at the7seriesregister.co.uk

One of the moderators (Derek Mc) runs a V12 E32 750 but has a history of american muscle cars too...

eamonnschevy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2006 at 12:11

Thanks Chas I'll give it a look

all the best

eamonn

eta. View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2006 at 14:55
Make sure the engine coolant is flushed through and refill with BMW coolant.

735 is a better bet performence wise. Only buy a SE version 730 or 735.

Footman James are a good BMW ins broker. If you are doing low miles try Carole Nash for a classic policy.
eamonnschevy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2006 at 15:33

Cheers eta first job will be to change all fluids, its a habit i have when ever i buy a  car i always change fluids even if the service history says its been done recently, then i know its been done and done properly, lol

as to the model i didn't actually go looking to buy a BMW, but a friend knew i was looking for a rear wheel drive saloon (Chevy caprice/impala etc) and had a phone call from a buddy asking if i wanted to buy a 730i SE,I hate front wheel drive cars and as the BMW drives the proper wheels i thought what the hell we'll give it a go  i haven't even seen the car yet,lol taking their word on condition, but can't see too many problems, he's reliable and I've bought from and sold to him before, should be collecting on Thursday,

thanks for the lowdown on insurance, guessing its a bit like yank insurance, limit the miles and the policy comes down in price, my truck is on unlimited miles so I'll probably limit the BMW to 5k a year

thanks for the help

eamonn

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic