Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked200 of my 300horses have died!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200 of my 300horses have died!
    Posted: 24-January-2006 at 16:48
Ive a 750i & quite honestly im at my wits end & my wallet is begining to hurt! it all started with misfiring, a distributer cap was blamed & changed,no better,diagnostic checks revealed a trouble code, it was reading 58 degrees below celcius,so we asumed its fully choked all the time,5 new temperature sensors were fitted,no change,still reading -58 , brain box was sent off to be repaired,re-fitted,economy improved slightly from 4mpg to 6 mpg!! still no power BMW main dealer carried out a full diagnostic check,no faults were recorded,an emissions test was carried out & a reading of 4217 hydro-carbons ,what fuel that was being burnt was actualy lean,ive gone on a bit,but i wanted to give me the full story in the hope that someone out there can help me!
Sponsored Links

shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 00:57

Is it an E32 750i ?

If so, why do they change 5 temperature sensors? The one in the front in the grill has no influence on the ECU managment. Then there are temp. sensors for the air intake, and 2 sensors for the coolant, but one is also not important as the one giving the signal to the temp indicator in your cluster, that one also has no influence on the ECU, it is just there to show you the what I call guessometer instead of temp. indicator.

Let's start from the beginning: when you have the ignition switch in position 2 (engine still off), is the EML light on for about 2-3 seconds? If not, it will never work. Have they checked the ECU pinout for all pins and data? Was it all in accordance with the specifications?

First of all you have to find out systematically which side is bringing the problem. If you inderstand the V12 management system, that is a piece of cake. Start the engine, remove one of the plugs from the MAF. is the engine still running or not? If not, you have already the cyliner side with the problem. If no change, plug again, remove the other side and see what happens. If that kilsl the engine, you got it. Note that basically all items which are on the left side of the engine on the intake system, are working actually for the other side. Go to my website below and click on the pic of the engine then you will see that system.

Then start swopping from one side to the other. MAF, throttling valves. Unplug again the connectors and make the same check. If problem moved to the other side, you know what is wrong. Have toy checked all distributors and caps? How are the spark plus looking? Which ones are looking bad? Did you clean the throttling valves, they must run within 2% deviation rate, otherwise the engine goes into limpmode.

Maybe you answer these questions first.

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 00:59

I forgot one thing: if it is an E32, visit this board, there are the experts of E32 worldwide

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/page/0

and specialized 7 boards in the U.K.

http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/forum/index.php

http://www.the7seriesregister.co.uk/forums/index.php?

Edited by shogun
E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

eta. View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 08:25
This post is on the 7seriesforum:-

5.0 V12 Engine for sale
« on: Today at 07:34:24 AM »   

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
Hi All
I have a very good complete V12 engine package on ebay, it comes with all the wiring and ECUs etc http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4607014 772&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
I also have a lot of other parts off the same car including working suspension.
Diff, Leather and gearbox sold.
Graham

You might also post up your tech question there as there are 750 'experts' there.

http://www.7seriesforum.co.uk//index.php
Parsley750i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 10:51
Hi thanks very much for all your advise,It is an E32.I have replaced distributer caps,, if its of any relavance, & this is also where my troubles began, my local independant garage fitted me a new distributer cap & because he knows me well he reyplaced the cap with 1 for a Renault Espase, apparently order # is the same but a fraction of the price,ive since reyplaced it for a genuine BMW one.One other thing you said was about the throttle butterflys, with the engine off but key on, the butterflys only seem to move a small amount, i told the BMW service engineer but he told me this was normal, i'm not convinced,EML light does come on for couple of secs & goes out,i was advised never to start car while it was still on,so i always wait for it to go out,I will carry out your advise thanks but you'll have to tell me what the MAF if!! i'm asuming its  a coil type thing!  square ,one on each side with 1 lead going to each distributer, thanks really apreciate your help i'll buy you a pint if we meet at a club event.

Edited by Parsley750i

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 11:07
 i dot think that the ECU pinout for all pins and data was checked so not sure if  it was in accordance with the specifications, just full diagnostic check which revealed no faults, so look like id shelled out

₤159.99 for sensors i never needed

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 14:59
Hi Shogun, i've spent some time looking for the pictures of engines,but what i did find was a very happy man that you advised to reboot his system, before i had all my problems i did remove the battery for quite some time to charge it , so i'd be grateful if you could give me an idiots guide to rebooting the system, the guys description was a bit scetchy & he talked about shorting out battery wires ect so i would like to make sure i get it right, he cant sing your praises enough as his cars never been so good, so i'd like to give it a go.
shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 01:44

o.k., here we go: MAF=Mass airflow meter http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/sean750/MAF_v12/MAFtroub leshooting.htm 

Battery shorting of course NOT when making a reset. Details on my page below, also the synchronisation process of the V12 throttling valves. Battery NOT shorting= remove both battery cables, cover the battery with a cloth or rubber to avoid that by accident you touch plus and minus and make a nice fireworks inside your car. The REMOVED battery cables are to be connected (best is a starter cable) and do not touch the battery please. Ignition on position 2, switch on light or hazzard lights to make the drain of last power from the capacitors faster. When these capacitors are empty, all temporary stored (or learned) data will disappear, including all fault codes, the radio code (remember that before, note it down), anti theft code etc. Thatis basically the same as with your PC when you clean it from all temporary internet files or make a reboot. Sync the throttling valve motors. See my page below.

As the problem started with the change of the dizzy to Renault Espace I would start there. I have not heard that this fits, but maybe possible. (?) http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/sean750/v12_cross_refere ncing/v12regularMaintanance.htm

Throttle valve, look here http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/84595/  and http://www.e38.org/e32/throttles/BMWThrottles.htm

Your tech is right what he says about the movement at the beginning. That is going/finding into default position. The motors are running constantly to react quickly to every movement of the potentiometer of the accell.

EML light in cluster/dash: with ignition in position 2 it MUST be on for about 2 seconds and then go off again. That is a check if the EML works, there are actually 2 bulbs inside the cluster for EML and one works like a kind of resistor for the other one. If the EML is not on for 2 seconds durung the starting procedure before you start engine, then automatically the engine will run in limpmode. People have paid thousand of $ to repair their 750 but the tech did not know this fact. Expensive MOTRONICs have been changed and other things. I have made a report about this http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/92132/ That's it. I am off for an overseas business trip from tomorrow and will be back in 10 days and hope to read about a good result. Go first for the dizzy cap, maybe he still has the old one and try that once  more. 

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 11:34
Oh yes we cooking on gass now !!!!! hope i've just done the test on the MAF one side stopped the engine  while the other side was ok,going to change the units from one side to the other & do the test again, this should tell me if the MAF thingy is shot??? then i'll have a go at the cleaning as instructed on your link, hope ive caught you before you go on ya trip, if not i look forward to hearing from you on ya return, you really are a top man!!
shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 15:57

Hi there. I am in the airport now, just a last info before going into the plane:

you have got so far the indication WHICH side is wrong, that is all. If the MAF's are switched from one side to the other, then the MAF is the prob. If not, change the throttling valves, they are interchangeable. So you know which side, if you see it positive, that is 50% of the engine prob is solved by now. Remember, if the MAF connector is removed from the driver side in the engine, the engine (cylinder row) on the passenger side is the problem. =The intakes go into the other side of what you can actually see from the top without diassembling. Go to my website below, there is a wonderful explosion view of the V12 engine, there you can see it and will understand what I try to explain in my poor English.

Good Luck

If you have probs, visit the boards I mentioned above and tell them what you have done so far in detail, they will guide you through it. Tell them that I introduced you, so you are not a complete stranger to them. 

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

286bhp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2006 at 13:43

I had a problematic 850i '91, which had a thirst of about 5 mpg, it ran like a pig. I went through all the usual ecu swap outs with another car. i then swapped out the mafs, problem solved. BTW the mafs are the same as used on 91-95 320i E36. The proper test was checking the airflow in kg/hour on a scanner. The correct amount at idle should be 15-20kg. The 850i was showing 128kg/hour !!!!!

I hope this info helps

Regards

Phil

'01 M5
'02 MB C220 Turbosmoker
'99 323i (sold )
'89 M3 220hp with shrick 284's
'73 2002 cab   

it's an Illness ......
Loz535 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2006 at 06:51

Wow!!!

You guys have some serious tech skills here!! I am so gladI found this forum.

BMW 535i V8 Step.
shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2006 at 20:43

Parsley750:

I am back now in Japan. What happened meanwhile? Problem solved? If not, let me know what you did and what happened in detail, so that we can proceed to solve the problem.

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2006 at 08:31
Hi shogun, to add to my problems my pc went down so I havnt been able to get on for a while right , done the maf test & right hand bank (standing at the front of car looking towards the back) stopped when maff unplugged,the left bank ran whilst i disconected that side,i changed the mafs from one side to the other,carried out test ,and again the right bank stopped & left was ok,so with that i concentrated on the throttles removed them, cleaned them as instructions from the link you left me,they were very dirty ,lots of carbon particually on the right bank side,put back together & went for a test run, economy was much better, riseing from 6mpg to 13mpg,but still underpowered ,0 to 60 mph  20 seconds !!!!(i can push it quicker than that!!),so i done the maf disconecting test again & right bank went down again , emissions test carried out & hydrocarbons(unburnt fuel) was at 7 % in the uk its a fail,shouldnt be any more than 2.5 % .Ive been really busy with work so i havnt had a chance to do any more, i think my next thing to do is change the throttles over.Or do you have any other sugestions?
shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2006 at 09:02

Yes, change the throttles over. And I still have my doubts with the distributor caps from the Renault. Check the distributors also inside and also the dizzy rotors. Sometimes there are haircracks.

It takes time, but you have to eliminate one possible fault by the other by changing the items.

Make sure: when ignition is on position 2, the EML light in the dash/cluster must be on for about 2-3 seconds and then disappear. If it does not light in that stage, the program goes automatically to limpmode.

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2006 at 09:10

One more thing to check: are you sure both fuel pumps are working? How to check under engine: http://bmwe32.masscom.net/

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2006 at 16:04
will check fuel pumpsthanks ,I changed the distributer caps for the correct bmw ones,it was one of the first things i done,i've also replaced  spark plugs aswell,going to swap throttles over tomorrow(Wednesday),i'll keep you imformed Cheers

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 10:05
 Well ,swapped throttles over,Still the same bank goes down,the engine dont stop completely but runs very rough to the point of almost stalling, what now?!! 
shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 11:29

Have you checked the fuel pumps? Not sophisticated check, but maybe it helps, just check if the fuel hoses are pressurized when engine is running. Here more in detail

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/fuelpump_replacement/Fuelp ump.htm

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 08:06

Done fuel pumps, They are ok

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic