Forum Locked1988 520i Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1988 520i Help
    Posted: 30-January-2006 at 07:26
Hi,

Have just bought another 5 series, its a 1988 520i Full AC Schnitzer Rep and I need help witht he only problem I can find. The guy who sold it too me said he was selling it because he thought it was cooking itself, but I heard him mention that the problem only started when his mec-a-nick fitted a new thermostat to the car, the problem is when the car is started and drove for a while the temp sensor in the car reads in the blue but if he gave it a really harsh rev it woul shoot right into the red............no correct me if I am wrong I am guessing that the problem is either a faulty thermo, thermo sensor or a dodgy temp gauge.....

Any ideas....

Thanks
Loving the E38
Sponsored Links

Old shape! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2006 at 08:19

Yes or yes or yes.  Water temp cannot change that fast.  Unless there is no circulation of water until the revving, which suddenly puts hot water passed the sensor?  But even then I can't imagine the gauge reacting that fast.

What happens after the high rev.  Does it go back to the blue or stay up there in the red?

Paul DH
1994 E38 "Proud owner of a "3/4 engined E37.9 that's almost a real car with real paint...WITH 6 WASHER JETS!"
1989 520i (E34) Gone
1988 320i Coupe (E30) Gone
1995 520 Estate (E34) (Wife)
1992 320i SE OBC (E36) (Wife) Gone
1988 320i Saloon (E30) (Wife) Gone
e34-520iSE View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2006 at 12:05
Wrong brown thermostat fitted methinks! The 520 has a unique temp guage sensor fitted. The mechanic probably fitted a 520 M50 sensor and your dash guage went crazy. I put an M50 one in my head (for a laugh) and the guage shot from blue to red in about 4 secs, plus I got the COOLANT TEMP message on the digital display. I think it's pretty obvious to tell when your car really is overheating!

Cheers,

Shaun
Self confessed madman
1990 Brilliantrot 2 ltr M20.

Air force definition of explosives: A loud noise followed by the sudden going away of what was once there a second ago.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic