Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwindow dont open correctly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: window dont open correctly
    Posted: 04-February-2006 at 13:06

i got a 325i coupe `93. drivers door window does not open properly. as it should open on one press of button but i have to keep pressing the button as with one press the window only goes down by about 2 inches so i got to press it many times to get my mc donalds. and then by the time i closed it my maccie d`s is cold.

i have replaced the elec motor and the electronic modul thats fits onto the motor but still no joy. i though it was due to the window been tight in the runner but this is not the case  as when i connect the spare motor with modul on  with the wiring from the car it does the same problems as if its bolted to the car except the spare is free from the car.

anyone has or had this problem before?????please help!!!

please see my other car at ; www.mentalmadcivic.co.uk

Sponsored Links

Beemerboy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2006 at 17:25

After replacing the motor you need to reset  it, get into the car and close the door, open the window and keep the switch pressed down for 10 seconds, then raise the window and keep the switch pressed for 10 seconds.

325icoupe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2006 at 04:00

i have tried doing the reset but it still dont work.

what next ???

Edited by 325icoupe
Duncan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2006 at 20:05

I do understand your frustration.

I spent £220 on two brand new motors from my dealer, and still had a problem with the drivers window on a 1998 coupe. On the coupe the window drops by an half an inch as you pull the door handle. When you close the door, the window moves up by the same amount. I found after fitting the motors, within a month, the teeth on the drivers door mechanism where it engages with the modul drive wheel were worn through just at the top of the arc. I asked the Dealer why ? But they were just as informative as someone who puts HP sauce on the shelf at Tesco. Am I p*ss*d off, yes very. I do not buy spurious parts, yet the Dealer appears to have little or no experience worth having.

Anybody who knows - please let me know - I'd be most grateful.

1998 - E36 323i Lux coupe

325icoupe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 04:26

well i was told the same by my main dealer but i did not fall for there con into buying the 200 pound window mechanism, instead i got a second hand motor and modul from a well known bmw breaker but to that avail still not fixed it. my car has gone in for a clucth and service and i have asked the garage thats doing the work to investigate. they are not a main bmw service centre but i know they are capable to sort it out.

if u find out before a repost please let me know. and i`ll do the same.

Duncan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 06:38

OK - 2 hours later - I've got an Answer, but not tried and tested yet.

Don't always knock the Dealer, there will be someone there who knows.......but you have to find that guy. Experienced Parts people know more than you think.

The mechanism you bought at the breakers yard......did you check the regulator at the top of the arc. This can be viewed when the window is fully down, and when you have removed the leather or fabric  door card, and have removed the padded sound insulation backing. Look there, that is exactly were the wear will be found, every time you open the door, the motor lift's/lowers the window by 2 or 3 notches. if the teeth are worn there.....chuck it.

Now when fitting the new motors. You have to make sure that the bushes/spacers are in position between the frame and the new motor. This positions the motor further away from the mounting. These drop off when you drill out the rivets, and you haven't noticed that they have fallen off the back. It is all quite a pain because you have to drill out the rivets quite accurately to mount the new motors.

When that is done, the modul (cog on the motor) engages squarely on the regulator. There is a design fault IMHO in that the slight curve on the roof / pillar frame (coupe only) forces the modul inside the regulator arc only when the window glass is in the groove at the top (fully closed) position.

Maybe that is why so many folk here have this problem. I will let you know the result when I have re-fitted the motors (with those secret spacers).

It is a dogs life - when you can't get proper fitting instructions. Duh

1998, 323i lux coupe, cosmo

325icoupe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 06:43

well i got a new motor and tried with with the new motor and modul off the car and it still does the same probs . goes up by 1 inch at a time.

i thought it could be wiring probs but it cant be otherwise all other stuff wont work like tweeter and elec central locking and they work fine. so now confused

Duncan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 10:23

You may wish to try this Web site. They have good info on coupe window problems. Generally, far superior advice than the average workshop. I wish I hadn't wasted so much time at my local.............

Here is the URL

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&t hreadid=190119

Let me know if this helps. I don't understand your current problem, if a new motor is fitted. The mechanism must be fouling on something ?

325icoupe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 12:43

ok i have tried many things now and still no luck

someon reckoned it could be relay. so now where are the relays for the window and if so which one is it????

Duncan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 15:26

Have you read this diagnosis of the problem ? It is very good and will cost you nothing but time and effort if you are lucky. The URL is below.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=238468

The dislocation of the magnetic ring control sensor on these window regulator motors is a situation that very few Dealers will know. My local BM Workshop and Parts hadn't got a clue. But then, that's how the whole repair industry is now !

Let me know.

325icoupe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 09:06
i have checked both my motors for the magnetic ring and they both in shape and correct place, so now i dont know.
Duncan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 10:41

Sorry Mr 325,

The problem occurs even when the door is wide open ? and the door card is off ?

You've tried a brand new motor, yes ? not an ex scrap yard jobby !

There is absolutely no up-n-down fouling ?

The teeth in your arc regulator are all good ?

The Motors on existing doors spin freely ? when not under load ? the commutators / brushes look ok when viewed from the side

There is no relay anyway ?

Your allarm does not have a dog setting.... programmed for a slight open window ?

Sorry your problem has me beat ?  sorry Mr. 325 coupe.

325icoupe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:29

i was told on phone today by a guy from bmw dealer that it could be the clips on bottom of window runner but mine cant be as the motor that is off the car does the same thing it inches  even with no load on it. the magnet on the spare motor is right in by the 2 metal pins inside the motor housing. they are not in contact with the magnet so  the anti trap device is working ok. i have tried both elec window switches and it fouls on drivers side still ,inching down and up.

so now i`m baffled. i aint gonna buy a new reg form bmw for 195.00 odd pound as i find it will be waste of money .

i`m running out of options.

i have lubed runner guides, checks clips on bottom, teeth on motor ok,

guessed this is really baffling.

the alarm does not do window closure, so it aint alarm . all it does it lock and unlock doors.

any ideas Duncan????

lol

Duncan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 08:30

Hey, My driver's door window is still not quite right ! But the passenger one is fine ?????? same job, same refitting process.

I have to spend more time on it. I'm busy so until I have time to strip it all down again, I can't help you very much.

I can advise you, that new motors are more aggressive in the final action of raising the window that last one 1/2 inch. I prefered the older motors which were softer and more subtle in operation. I need to compare many aspects of the job in the refitting process. Sorry, but until I have cracked the problem - I can't advise further.

I do understand your dissapointment, and confirm that this window matter is the first job that I have encounterred in the 3 & 1/2 years that I have owned her, that this sort of issue, even after fitting brand new BMW parts, that this has occured. You are not alone on this.

Try phoning a BMW West Country Dealer for more free info. Sadly many Thames Valley Dealers have to consider £'ssssss first. Business rates around here for a medium sized dealership are about £140k a year. Profit wise, some Dealers have to make money just to stand still ! 

If you get "real experienced advice", please share it here.

1998 323i Lux coupe, cosmo. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic