Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Carpetbagger View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
BMW the road is not enough

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is It a Sport ?? RESULT : More Pics Added
    Posted: 13-February-2006 at 14:45
  Hi  it looks a nice car, it may not be a sport as mine is they have Mtec suspension lowerd 15mm LSD and body kit as yours the list price for the sport in 94 was £28,900.00 the se was £26,375.00 + any options the are teriffic cars  photos of mine at wwwbmwcarclubne.co.uk( in gallery)

Alan 

Edited by Carpetbagger
Sponsored Links

whitey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 18:17

Originally posted by mcpie mcpie wrote:

but I was wondering if the mirrors fitted were correct for the shape of grill,
i/e the narrow nosed version. ?

The later mirrors were fitted from L plate on regardless of the grill. My 93 L 525 had the later mirrors as well. Not a great picture but here it is:

Click to view full size image

2000 e39 523i with full factory sport kit.
1989 e30 325i Convertible
1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
Jim Green View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 12:03

BRYBUSA : Thanks for your assistance in at last sorting it out. I'm honestly not really bothered that it's not a genuine sport, and really happy with it. I guess the original owner must have spent a total mint getting it like that, as all of the M-Tech Gear was fitted prior to delivery and Probably as a result, all the subsequent owners have continued to keep it in very good condition, and hence how she looks now.

Did look at your white one on the link.....A real credit to it's owners too.  That is the kind of condition I'd like to get this one up too now. My Cosworth is a "genuine" Cosworth though, .....Lol, and I concourse it in the Working Class Catagory. Only problem is, that I bought the BMW to use as an everyday car....Arghhhhh, now I feel like spending a few weeks getting it up together underneath, it really is in fantastic condition when I had it up on the ramps, and saw the underneath, would only take a week or so, and she'd be a genuine contender in a concourse show.

Anyway, Thanks for everyones help, and I'm still a very happy 525 owner.

Regards

Jim

Edited by Jim Green
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:48

Not really Jim...Def sports seats though...The biggest giveaway is the fact it hasnt got a limited slip diff and the log book designation.

Someone has added the IS badge and the chrome "rings" to the clocks, both look good to me.

TBH it looks fab and it wouldnt bother me anyway, the previous owner probably genuinely believed it was a sport..

From the roadtests I have of the time when the car was launched, the sport appeared to the road testers to be more of a marketing excercise by BMW rather than a completely different model to the standard car anyway...Which is hard to argue with

Face, bothered?!!

Enjoy it for what it is

Jim Green View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 10:06

More Pics......

Just checked...It has Alloy Bottom Arms ??? Does this mean anything ??

brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 05:05

Well, I’ve been lucky enough to find a 64,000 mile (one owner) G plate 525i Sport. It was garaged and fully maintained by the local BMW dealer and consequently is already very clean. The interior is “as new” and only needed some leather care cream and floor mats. The boot, spare and tool kit have never been used so I don’t need to touch them… although I did notice one of the spanners had some pitting in the chrome (I’m I taking this too far if I replace the spanner?!!). The engine bay is very clean and the only area of corrosion is the exhaust manifold. I may replace this with a stainless steel unit but I’m not sure. The M-Tech trim on the doors had seen better days and these are being replaced while the car is undergoing a full re-spray. I may get it back on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I’m keeping the original colour (Alpine White). While it is in the body shop the windscreen is being replaced and all of the exterior trim/rubbers too. I’m hoping my a set of 1000km Alpine original wheels will arrive from Germany next week too.

All in all, I’m spending way more than it’s technically worth but I hope to gain one of the cleanest E34s on the road. I’ll be posting more than one or two pictures when it comes back and I get the wheels on it!

I can’t wait…

Your car sounds very similar to mine...!

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3578&hl=

Not many low mileage ones around now, having said that I saw a 535SE with 40,000K on the clock in one of the BMW mags at the end of last year..Theres another example with 20,000K on it on the forum here as well.

Mines done 65K now, ive not used it at all this winter to keep it looking good..I dont even really like using it in the rain TBH but thats a bit extreme..

Ive not got any corrosion/rust on the car but the paint on the block has peeled away over time and thats really what id like to put right and of course the alloy parts dull over time, i dont want them polished, just bought back to a "new" condition.

Ive also kept the metric tyres on it and the orange indies to keep it looking "proper"...I would like some "normal" tyres but i like the look of the O/E wheels

mcpie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 04:43

Well, I’ve been lucky enough to find a 64,000 mile (one owner) G plate 525i Sport. It was garaged and fully maintained by the local BMW dealer and consequently is already very clean. The interior is “as new” and only needed some leather care cream and floor mats. The boot, spare and tool kit have never been used so I don’t need to touch them… although I did notice one of the spanners had some pitting in the chrome (I’m I taking this too far if I replace the spanner?!!). The engine bay is very clean and the only area of corrosion is the exhaust manifold. I may replace this with a stainless steel unit but I’m not sure. The M-Tech trim on the doors had seen better days and these are being replaced while the car is undergoing a full re-spray. I may get it back on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I’m keeping the original colour (Alpine White). While it is in the body shop the windscreen is being replaced and all of the exterior trim/rubbers too. I’m hoping my a set of 1000km Alpine original wheels will arrive from Germany next week too.

All in all, I’m spending way more than it’s technically worth but I hope to gain one of the cleanest E34s on the road. I’ll be posting more than one or two pictures when it comes back and I get the wheels on it!

I can’t wait…

Edited by mcpie
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 03:45

I forgot to say, it's a very nice example regardless. I'm restoring my sport to
concourse condition too!

How are you intending to do this mcpie?

Id like to do the same to my car, id really like to get the engine out and get the block re-painted and give the engine a general refurb.(not re-build!) but i havent the equipment or tools to do this.

does any one know of a garage who can do this? Midlands/Herts/Beds/Bucks preferably

I just wanna drive the car in and pick it up after its done!

beast535 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 14:38

I had the same problem with an e30 325i- didn't know if it was a sport or not. I was told to look on one of the springs and there would be a colour code on it- like a small dab of paint. I found this on my e30 and was able to find out at a dealer what the colour meant and was then able to order replacement springs. Not sure if its the same on an e34.

Hope this helps

E30 325i sport 1991
E34 530i auto 1989
E39 535i 18"s 1997

mcpie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 14:27
I forgot to say, it's a very nice example regardless. I'm restoring my sport to
concourse condition too!
Jim Green View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 14:26
Will put interior pics up tomorrow
mcpie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 14:25
I'm not an expert having only recently bought my first BMW (six weeks ago)
but I was wondering if the mirrors fitted were correct for the shape of grill,
i/e the narrow nosed version. I had my E34 525i confirmed by the original
dealer as such but it would certainly be possible to make an SE into a sport.
Do you have any interior pictures?
m5bm View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 13:20

Hey nice car.........and the other thing is that all the other goons driving around druling at it cant see your log book lol

Loving the E38
Jim Green View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 13:14

M5BM : Totally Agree.

It appears to be a 525 SE with a full sports package having been fitted.... Not sure what this would have cost when new, but like you correctly say... Why didn't he just buy a Sport....

No Problem, I'm still extremely happy with the car, and it's obviously been treated to anything it ever needed, and I intend to continue in that way.

Another nice car saved from the Boy Racers

m5bm View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 13:02

Mine is a 1993 525i Sport, It states on the log book 525 IS, I phoned the local BMW dealers when I first got it and they confirmed that it was indeed a sport.

Not knocking the car but I believe if it does not say ont he log book IS then it cant be a genuine M Sport.

Cheers

Loving the E38
whitey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 12:54

I think what you have there is an SE thats had a factory fitted sport pack fitted from new, although why the initial owner didn't just buy a sport in the first place. As stated earlier, if it was an official sport I figure it would have the LSD and the computer.

However the power windows and Roof would not have been specified options. They were definately part of the standard SE spec along with rear headrests, foglights and alloys.

Similar to my e39. It's a 523se but had the ful factory sport kit specified as an option. however the "official sport" was not available when mine was built (there are a very few "W" plate sports about but very few) so the Sport pack was quite a popular option. 

2000 e39 523i with full factory sport kit.
1989 e30 325i Convertible
1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
bmwcrazy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1995 M5,1995 318ISE,1997 325

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 12:47

very nice car what ever it is

dazz

Jim Green View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 12:25

Still as Confused As Ever......

Spoke with BMW Customer Services at Haliwell Jones (Southport) where the car was supplied new, and they state that......

The car is listed as a 525SE, but can't confirm if it's a sport or not ????? However it was a special order and fitted with the following prior to delivery to the 1st Owner on the 1st August 1993.

1. M-Tech Front and Rear Spoilers, Side Skirts, Boot Spoiler, M-Tech Suspension Package, M-Tech Instrument Panel, M-Tech Gear Knob, Sports Seat Option, and M-Tech Steering wheel, plus some non M-Tech related upgrades (Power Windows/sunroof etc). 

I asked them if this made it a 525 Sport, and they informed me that the Sports Pack was an option fitted to 525 SE's............. So when does a 525 become a Sport ?????

Also put the car on the ramps today, and can confirm that it dosen't have a LSD.  However, it does have alloy lower arms (As fitted to the Sport.........!!!!!!!) But once I saw the underneath of the car, I'm even more impressed, it's just the same condition as the bodywork. I feel a concourse entrant here in the making.

So.... I'm just going to enjoy it for "Whatever It Is"...... Even BMW Don't seem to know.....Lol

Edited by Jim Green
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 03:42
Originally posted by Bill- Bill- wrote:

Originally posted by brybusa brybusa wrote:

Sport models should have full OBC, basiclly a sport car is SE spec except for the kit ,LSD,seats as mentioned and suspension

..and i believe it should have sport on the log book,mine does

Great looking car thou' Jim..and the cossie...i had one for a bit...smashed it to bits in Dunstable....was a sad day...

Whats LSD Seats  

limited slip diff, "sports" seats Bill

Bill- View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2006 at 12:49
Originally posted by brybusa brybusa wrote:

Sport models should have full OBC, basiclly a sport car is SE spec except for the kit ,LSD,seats as mentioned and suspension

..and i believe it should have sport on the log book,mine does

Great looking car thou' Jim..and the cossie...i had one for a bit...smashed it to bits in Dunstable....was a sad day...

Whats LSD Seats  

Hayabusa
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic