Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPenalty points

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 19:44
No I agree entirely with what you say there, the actions of others shouldn't be a problem provided I keep both my own speed and distance in check, which i do. However, all too often people find themselves affected by other incompetent drivers.

The SPECS cameras make me paranoid, even though I rarely drive even closeto the speed limit.

I suppose the point I am making in all these posts (becuase you and I seem to go round in ever maddening circles!) is that the standards of driving in this country cannot be improved by a reduction in speed alone, but in fact that should be an achievable aim following some sort of driver training, which would bring about a greater awareness of the dangers of speeding and the risks of excessive vehicle speed. Hopefully.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
Sponsored Links

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 19:47
Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

No I agree entirely with what you say there, the actions of others shouldn't be a problem provided I keep both my own speed and distance in check, which i do. However, all too often people find themselves affected by other incompetent drivers.

The SPECS cameras make me paranoid, even though I rarely drive even closeto the speed limit.

I suppose the point I am making in all these posts (becuase you and I seem to go round in ever maddening circles!) is that the standards of driving in this country cannot be improved by a reduction in speed alone, but in fact that should be an achievable aim following some sort of driver training, which would bring about a greater awareness of the dangers of speeding and the risks of excessive vehicle speed. Hopefully.

I have never said that speed is the sole issue that should be attacked. All I've said is that it shouldn't be ignored.
Yes education & training have greater long term benefits, but in the meantime people should still be adhering to limits & there are positive benefits to making sure that people do.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 20:12
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Shorty

You didn't get the points because you were a danger to anyone. You got the points because you went past a line that has been drawn in the sand, a line that is there as a preventative measure (to prevent the possible danger being caused to anyone.)

If you value your licence, your livelyhood, then why not take responsibility for it & protect it ?
Nobody can "mess with your life" then.
[/QUOTE]

DANGER !!!! the only danger to anyone was to me as i said previously there was no one else there!!! I know what you will say that you have seen some horrors e.c.t & i can see that point of view also. But 78 mph on a motorway ???? please !!!!!!!

Livvy try an experiment i have try ed on several occasions . Next time you are on the motorway drive at 70 mph . just see how many cars, vans , lorry's ( yes 16 wheeler lorry's !!! )  go whizzing past you . Where are the "enforcers" then ?

As for taking responsibility for my livelihood i HAVE to drive every day for my job & if i loose my license that is me out of a job  & i know that so do you think i or any other person go out intentionally to get points on there license ? I would be more of a danger if i didn't keep up with the flow of traffic would i not ? How many people do you know that drive at 30mph in a 30 mph zone unless as Doave has pointed out they either see a police man with a radar gun or know there is a fixed camera on that road ?

dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 20:58

Oh i see the spelling and grammer mare HORSETAN has been out for a trot, well pardon me for not eating the oxford b****** dictonary before i put a post on this forum now theres a word you will find in the oxford dictonary, i guess as you pull other people up about their spellings and grammer i take it you have never made a spelling mistake before and always got your grammer correct ?

Edited by dirtybeemer
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 01:04
Originally posted by shorty shorty wrote:

Livvy try an experiment i have try ed on several occasions . Next time you are on the motorway drive at 70 mph . just see how many cars, vans , lorry's ( yes 16 wheeler lorry's !!! )  go whizzing past you . Where are the "enforcers" then ?

As for taking responsibility for my livelihood i HAVE to drive every day for my job & if i loose my license that is me out of a job  & i know that so do you think i or any other person go out intentionally to get points on there license ? I would be more of a danger if i didn't keep up with the flow of traffic would i not ? How many people do you know that drive at 30mph in a 30 mph zone unless as Doave has pointed out they either see a police man with a radar gun or know there is a fixed camera on that road ?

I don't need to do an experiment because I do it all the time, I don't want to get points or lose my licence.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 03:58

Horsetan wrote (wha? couldnt find that in the oxford dictonary) NEWSFLASH guess what i couldnt find WHA  in the oxford dictonary either !!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 05:52

You seem utterly incapable of taking into account the extreme ease with which most of us non-livvy like non-superhumans manage to stray those few little mph past the limit, and so pass the camera doing 68 in a 60 (easy to do in a nice smooth 323i, eh shorty?!). We become criminals, and because of this unintentional misdemeanour our licence and career are taken from us.

I appreciate that it can easy, especially in a BMW to accidentally sray over the speed limit, but playing devils advocate for a second, are you really saying that you could be driving at 68mph in a 60 and not realise? Also if your doing 68 what do you think the speedo is reading? Well over 70 I would have thought.

My problem with cameras isn't to do with not being able to keep my speed down without constantly staring a the speedo, I simply think the limits are set too low on certain roads. After all if you find it hard to keep your speed down to 70, you are going to have exactly the same problem at 80 or 90 etc

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 06:09
I agree with you Peter but i dont understand if doive is doing 68 mph then why would his speedo reading be well over 70, ?

Edited by dirtybeemer
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 07:09

Dirty - speedo generally reads 5-10% above your speed.

ie - when my speedo tells me I'm doing 68mph and I hit cruise, I can reset my obc average speed to see what I'm doing, and it'll tell me around 62-63mph.  At the same time, my satnav will give me a reading of 100kph (62.5mph).

This may change if you change the rolling radius of your wheel/tyre combo, but not drasticly (sc).

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 07:18
A speedometer will sometimes overread by as much as 10% according to the law. This is why in a 60mph limit a vehicle will be allowed to do 68mph before a speed trap is triggered - 60 + 10% + 2 = 68mph. The 10% allows for speedo inaccuracy. So what I was saying was that if I had somehow allowed my speed to creep up to 68, then I would get busted by a speed trap, and as such become a criminal in the eyes of the law. I don't like that.
www.doive.co.uk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 08:04

A speedometer will sometimes overread by as much as 10% according to the law. This is why in a 60mph limit a vehicle will be allowed to do 68mph before a speed trap is triggered - 60 + 10% + 2 = 68mph. The 10% allows for speedo inaccuracy. So what I was saying was that if I had somehow allowed my speed to creep up to 68, then I would get busted by a speed trap, and as such become a criminal in the eyes of the law. I don't like that.

True but you can actually get over 20% over beofre being flashed. If your speedo reads spot on then at an indicated 68mph you will get flashed. However if your speedo reads 10% positive you would have to be doing an indicated 75mph before being flashed i.e 68mph + 10%. Since you drive older cars Doive, I suspect your speedos are very likely to read over, I know the one in a Chevette is not the most accurate in the world. 

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 08:29
Oh right thanks for that
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 08:59
Believe me Peter, when I'm doing 68 in the chevette, I KNOW I'm doing 68!!
www.doive.co.uk
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 09:03
Is that down hill with the wind behind you by any chance lol

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 09:15

Originally posted by dirtybeemer dirtybeemer wrote:

Is that down hill with the wind behind you.....

.........steering wheel shaking and bits flying off!

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 09:52

I have never said that speed is the sole issue that should be attacked. All I've said is that it shouldn't be ignored.

And that the government is wonderful. And that all police measures are appropriate. And that nothing else will make the same improvements to road safety that a scamera will. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Just look at what your tax money and scamera levies are going towards next, folks ...!
Ciao,
Spokey

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 09:55
Yeah sounds about right not to mention the allowance to run them and a payrise etc etc i vote livvy for PM
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 10:20

The trigger limit on the camera isn't set for that purpose.
Your speedo can only legally over read your actual speed not under read it, so the setting of the camera has nothing to do with that (as your vehicle will be going no faster than, but maybe slower than what the speedo is reading.)

The trigger limit can be set at 61mph if they so wish, it doesn't have to be 68mph, they only choose to do so in most cases.

Originally posted by Spokey Spokey wrote:

And that the government is wonderful

I've definitely never said that.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 10:47

Originally posted by Spokey Spokey wrote:

And that the government is wonderful

I've definitely never said that.

Wasn't Spokey expressing his own opinion then??

I'm convinced Spokey is really David Cameron

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 10:56
Not really -- I'm too "off-message" to be a proper politician. 
Ciao,
Spokey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic