Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big CoupĆ© Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBuying a BMW 330ci sport convertible.help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a BMW 330ci sport convertible.help
    Posted: 10-February-2006 at 06:45
Hi guys. I'm looking to get one of these my budget is about 22k, which looking at autotrader should get me a mint car with low milage and with leather seats and auto (which I've been recommended are a must to have a chance of selling the car at a later date). However I am really worried that when the new 3 series convertible comes out in 2007 that the value of this car would plummet. I would be looking to run the car for 3 years and then move on to bigger and better things and therefore don't want to buy something that will depreciate like crazy. I have seen some cars on autotrader for 18-19k 330ci sports with <40k miles with highish spec. So how do you think it would be best to avoid getting a massive hit on depreciation, should I buy an older car with lower milage (but then not get the facelift) or just go ahead and get a facelifted with decent spec and lowish milage and pay a little more.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

ahmurray View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 08:50

Hi there,

Funnily enough, I'm in a similar position myself - planning to get a 330 sport convo some time this year.

I think the important point is that the new model is a coupe cabrio with a folding metal roof, so will probably cost significantly more, pricing many people out of the market.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6060102 .001/country/bmw/bmw/bmw-3-series-coupe-cabrio-z4m-spy-photo s

I therefore think that if you are planning to keep the car for 3 years, the new model will still be well over 20k and very scarce, so I think there will still be strong demand for the older model soft tops at the price yours will then be worth.

The current model is also a fine looking car, the replacement may not be so gorgeous (although it looks great in those pics), so that might help too.

I'd like to hold out and get the new model, but finding well over £30k would be impossible, so I'm seeing it as a trade-up for the soft top in 3-5 years time.

Just my opinion - good luck!

Ali

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2006 at 17:47

I just bought a 52 plate

17500 miles

Orient Blue with navy hood

Tan leather

Nice car

for just under your budget

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
WheelerDealer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2006 at 09:02

Hi There

just to add my thoughts/experience from the BMW Network into the ring, there are a couple of things that I would consider if I were in your position:-

1) DEFINATELY go for an Auto - don't be tempted by cheaper Manuals and certainly not the (quite rare) SSG (not to be confused with the SMG box on the M3) box. I personally have no problem with SSG and they are quite fun to drive, but a lot of people find them difficult to live with day to day, which make them hard work to sell on.

2) Colour is king - its all very personal and subjective, but personally I'd avoid Non Metallic and Metallic Gold/Topaz Blue/Oxford Green  examples - for me they just don't look the money compared to other colours. There are a million (figuratively speaking) Titan Silver - Black leather examples, so you'd have the pick of those. As for BMW 'Individual' colours - go for what you like, but be warned that colours like Velvet Blue (which I actually like) is one of those love it or hate it colours - which can cut your resale market in half. 

3) Options/Trim - non Leather cars are quite unusual on this engine size - avoid these unless its cheap and you're happy to spend 1400 pounds on a re-trim. Biege leather has a tendancy to look old quicker than the Grey or Anthracite (Black) I find. Go for a car with BMW Prof Nav - Harmon Kardon is nice to have - bluetooth (but only if you have a compatible phone) is ok - if not don't worry about it. Finally don't give that much more for hard topped examples - its just a bonus and a pain in the a**e to store in the summer.

4) Definately go for a face lift - its a much prettier car for not that much more money when comparing 2003 cars. Also I'd probably go for a Sport over an 'SE', but again it would depend what you're into.

5) Finally go for a car with a valid BMW warranty intact - for this money you can certainly go to a main dealer - at this price range you'll want back up if things go wrong. I personally ALWAYS reccomend buying/extending the warranty from the Main Dealer, but there again I would say that wouldn't I?  To be honest its a Buyers market out there at the moment - so go get yourself a good deal now, while thers still cold weather. It never ceases to amaze me that people forget that we have a summer and come out in droves at the 1st whiff of nice weather expecting to see lots of soft tops on the forecourts - and there aren't any - all the smart money have bought them this time of year when Dealers don't get that much interest in them. The myth of prices going up and down according to the season is a myth - only the availabilty changes with the season generally.

To answer your question about prices taking a big tumble - with the advent of a new BMW Convertible around the corner - yes the current E46 will drop accordingly, but generally only when the new model is in good supply on Main Dealers Used Car forecourts - which I find takes about 9-12 months.

Sorry about the long post - hope this helps!

Sorry to all those reading with cars I've reccomended against - you bought it because you liked it and thats what counts.

Wheeler Dealer

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2006 at 05:47

As mentioned above colour is key as is specification.

The right colour and sec will sell easily, the wrong colour won't. The value of the two cars won't be that dissimilar.

I do believe there is some difference in price between seasons. Top money low mileage cars will always be priceier, but low spec poor condition cars value will go up in the summer.

The 330 is a cracking car, but don't forget the 325 and 320 which are not much slower in the 325's case, and are a bit smoother. I have just bought a 320ci coupe and thats an 8 .2 second to 60 140 mph car. Not slow and gives over 30mpg in traffic.

Check out the used BMW dealer network. There are some very good deals to be had and also have a look in the auctions. If you buy a 3 year old or less car with no mechancial defects from an auction as an ex lease car you will probable buy this about 3k less then you would from the trader. Ok it might have slightly higher mileage, but it will be serviced on the button. Worth having a look. I saw a 330ci convertable sport on a 53 plate with 20k on the clock go for 17k go through on the 23rd December. That was a blue car with silver leather.

Hope this helps

James

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2006 at 06:52

Just to add to James's comments I'd say he's right when talking about buying a (ex leasing or not) car through an auction. Obviously you have to know what you're looking for, which I'm not going to lecture you about here. We buy quite a few cars through the Auctions, although we have to stay away from Lease cars because of their mileage. Personally I'd have no problem with buying an ex-lease car, because as James says, they're serviced on the button usually. Plus there are penalties for the Lessee if the car comes back with excess dents/scratches etc, so they're usually pretty straight.

The only thing I would say with these cars is that some people have the mentallity that the cars isn't (and will never be theirs) and drive them accordingly - ie much harder than if the car was theirs, so look out for that.

With regards the other 2 engines, I would recommend the 325 and 320 (despite being put off 320 manuals - they just don't rev right for me), although you really can't beat the 330 and the official consumption figures only separate the engines by a couple of mpg. One of my customers recounted with great satisfaction the fun he has racing (legally) in his 330Ci sport (Auto) with 'prestige sports cars' on the track. Happy Hunting!

ahmurray View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2006 at 10:25

Wheelerdealer,

Thanks for your info, I'll bear it in mind.

- since you mentioned the warranty, what's the inside view on the new warranty terms (reduced cover and excess charges)

I understand (thanks to a reply from BMW Customer Services) that it's down to FSA regulation, but I think it is a really bad move and really takes the shine off the excellent warranty I have enjoyed up to now.  I doubt I'll bother with one when I replace my car due to the prohibitive excess charge, and I expect others will be the same.

Where are you based, maybe you could offer me a good deal when the time is right?

Cheers,

Ali

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 16:49

Hi Ali

I can only say from my own viewpoint that the FSA reason (for changing the scope of the warranties) given isn't entirely accurate and I personally (reading between the lines) see it as a cost cutting/saving measure.

I think a lot of customers will feel the same as you, but in fairness to BMW I have seen all sorts of work done under warranty (or goodwill) which has amounted to thousands of pounds, which other manufacturers wouldn't even consider as within the scope - particularly in the case of old models with low mileage.

I live in the South Hants area and as much as I'd love to be able to offer you a cheaper warranty, but I'm afraid the discount scheme operated at the Dealership is only available to myself and spouse. Sorry!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic