Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked100000 problems??????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100000 problems??????
    Posted: 14-February-2006 at 07:10

Hi all...I am new to this site, I have a E30 at present and am looking to go for a 5 series e34 (only) ....simply because the family is getting bigger...lol

I have owned 3 E30s and all have taken a turn for the worst at 100k + miles....specially my current one.the car drove like new until it touched 100k then i had to change afew parts and now it is back to normal....

Their is a possibility this is a myth, i want to be sure as i have experienced it personally....I am looking at a 535i on the higher side of 90k miles...not far from 100k.. So im hoping i wont have a major repair/change bill just after i buy it..lol

Is their any truth in this. What needs doing at 100k + miles on a E34 5series....? can any one help!!

Regards

Sponsored Links

beast535 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2006 at 07:40
I've had my e34 for 2 years- its a 530i 6cyl F-reg. I got it at 150K  miles and now it has 180K. The only job it really needed was a heater matrix. Apart from that I have changed shocks, springs(didn't really need them-just wanted it lower!!) and other consumables. Mines a bullet proof car!
E30 325i sport 1991
E34 530i auto 1989
E39 535i 18"s 1997

AndyS_Kent View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2006 at 07:59

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/what_will_break.htm

Front suspension components wear out periodically.  Mileage dependent on use.  Search for shimmy, shake and similar for more information.  Also rear subframe bushes. 

Water pumps with plastic impellers WILL break unless replaced with fully-metal items. 

Radiator top hose fittings are prone to shearing off. 

Just my 2ps worth.  Also, I would buy totally on condition and maintenance history, not mileage. 

G-Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2006 at 08:22

Thanks for the reply guys....

I am going to have a look at the one in question sometime next week.

I am not conserned weather the miliage is high, the 5 series was built to withstand high miliage, the issue i have is the 100k question...as this seems to be a major point in the engines life when changes have to be done....

My other option is to look for one past 100k that has had the changes done and well maintained...

I am a novice when it comes to 5 series know how...so any advise will be given consideration.

Thanks all.

brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2006 at 08:23

The other consideration to take into account is the fact components weaken over time, not just mileage and these cars, like your E30, are old vehicles now.

My 535 has covered just 65K but ive had a couple of small problems more related to age than wear n tear.

Having said that, i think the E34 is a much better built car than the E30, it certainly doesnt suffer no where near as badly on rust related problems for instance.

I sold my e30 to buy my E34, a much better car in all respects IMHO..You wont be disappointed after making the change

oddball View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2006 at 08:34

From my own experiences and from observations on this forum I'd budget for the following items potentially giving up the ghost unless they've been changed of course.

1) Water pump (any axial play when you pull the spindle could reveal potential problems)
2) Radiator (+condenser if you have A/C)
3) A/C gas loss due to
3) Rear sub frame bushes
4) Breaking wires between body and boot lid (causing small electrical problems)
5) Sticking headlamp adjustment motors - can provide spurious error warnings
6) Coolant leaks on all hoses (old brittle hoses)
7) Failing Coolant level warning sensor - gives false alarms
8) Make sure battery is in tip top condition. Some E34 carry allot of power hungry goodies which unless the car is given a decent run can suck the life out of the battery.

I know the list looks ugly but none of these are killer problems and with any older car getting to 100K or so you’re going to have a few none consumable items die. Just look at the flipside; E34's are solid well built machines and depending on how much you pay and how you view your car (+ if your willing to do a little work yourself) then despite some of the above problems I'm sure you'll have a great car. Your experience with E30's should stand you well.

I'm no mechanic but it's nice to own a car which has a few bells and whistles (even compared to modern cars) which you can actually work on, i.e. you can dig them out from behind bits of trim or pull the offending item out! - try that on a modern car!

Nev

Keefyboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2006 at 11:23

E34....I can only speak from my experiance;

My 94 E34 520 was purchased with 112,000 up but with lots of main dealer bills and good history (same owner from new who was now a retired gent) The car was imaculate and had all the MOT's etc which proved that most of the mileage was on the car in it's early life as the gent was still working. the back seats had hardy been sat on and the spare wheel was never on the car.....when I sold this car late last year it had 218,000 up and all i had done outside of the routine service stuff was a new rad after a stone hole (even though I still drove it after a pal had plugged the hole with Araldite as an emergency save) The rad i fitted was a pattern and took about 1/2 a day. When I sold the car it had no tax or NCT (In Ireland now) and the front shocks were in need of a ghange as it was getting a bit bouncy.....I was 100% straight with the guy who bought it, and as far as i know, he is still driving it......in short they are a bullet proof, comfortable, and IMO still a really good looking car that is unrivalled....I often scan the for sales on the off chance i may pick up a bargain to tinker with and use occasionally....They do what it says on the tin and you will not be dissapointed.

keefyboy

G-Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2006 at 16:45

I keep seeing them around town, and am looking for the perfect one for myself and my family. I will most definately post pictures when i buy one, the If question is not applicable anymore, It is all about the WHEN.....

Thanks all for the advise as it has been a great help and i can not wait to joing the club of 5series drivers....

Sorry E30...but you have to go...,,

Edited by G-Man
gilescooperuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2006 at 17:31
Originally posted by AndyS_Kent AndyS_Kent wrote:

Radiator top hose fittings are prone to shearing off. 

As I found out last week when changing the coolant.... fortunately the motor factor had one in stock (it was Sunday afternoon), however the car is now convinced it is low on coolant and reminds me of this every time I start the engine!

Other problems I have found include dodgy warning messages "washer fluid" seems to be a favourite, and dirty lamps where the muck is inside, take the lamp carefully apart and you can see at night again.

Giles

Giles Cooper

http://www.gilescooper.co.uk

Tiger Cat E1 (fun car)

1989 BMW 525i (commuting car)
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2006 at 04:38

My 530 is sat on 168K and is as weet as a nut - engines are known to run up to 2-300K before the cam chain would need changing and engines known to be bulletproof.

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2006 at 05:14

The M30 engine in the E34 535 and E32 735 is the best engine BMW ever made for longevity.  Mine has just about reached 200k and will do another 100k easily.

I've just purchased an E34 and the most important issue for me was the bodywork and interior.  The engine and gearbox don't concern me so much because they should outlast the rest of the car.

G-Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2006 at 07:05

Originally posted by Chas C Chas C wrote:

I've just purchased an E34 and the most important issue for me was the bodywork and interior.  The engine and gearbox don't concern me so much because they should outlast the rest of the car.

That strong? I really do find that hard to beleive that the engine and gear box will out live the shell......LETS HOPE THEY DO

eta. View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2006 at 12:59
Make sure the coolant is flushed out and replaced with BM coolant. At 100K these straight 6's fur up if not maintained to schedule. Cyl No.6 (furthest from the rad) gets too hot and h/g goes with possible damage to the head. Regretably, at this mileage, muppets buy these cars on price and do not maintain them.

None of this should be a problem if maintained to BM schedule with BM coolant. These engines are good for 250K+.
Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2006 at 15:26
my car is a 1989 e34 with m20 525 engine and is sitting on 15934 and still going as sweet as the day it poped out of the factory i have had it almost 2 years now and has not missed a beat just usual wear and tear tyres discs pads shocks and kept serviced when needed
If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic