Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > South Western Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedchedder gorge meet 09/04/06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 10:51
As Ron suggested above, those who are enthusiastic forum members tend to act without consideration for the BMW Car Club, which this Forum is supposed to assist. While I do not decry those who are enthusiastic enough to organise an event, why cannot you do so within the framework of the BMWCC SW Region?

I know from personal experience that it is difficult enough to get members to attend any event, without splinter groups organising what can only be described as 'Pirate' events in opposition.

Perhaps those who do so should examine the official events list first, and also declare if they are BMWCC members. Also - of those members who support these events also support official events, and if not, please tell us why. I'm sure that the SW Comittee would like to know what they are doing wrong.

Remember also that any claims arising from such an unofficial event - other than normal third party motoring claims - will not be met by the BMWCC insurance.

The basic problem, I think, is that forums such as this tend to take on a seperate identity from that of the club which they were founded to support. Does anyone have any ideas to improve the situation? As matters stand, it appears that the forum has developed into a club within (and without) the Club.

Sponsored Links

MIKE 318IS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 13:52

i know i should have checked the event diairy before but i did not, and for that i hold my hands up and say sorry

i am a bmwcc member and have been for the last 2 years

i have attended lots of shows and a few of the south west ones and found to be very good events

i started to do my own meets as there was none around at the time on this forum and it was really hard to get people to come along

i joined other forums which have had lots of meets over the years, so i attended one and met some great people, i took some ideas of what goes on at  meets, so i could use them for mine

over the 2 years i joined more forums and now got the meet details on 7 different ones

i think people should have a choice and not feel they have to go to one or the other because it on this forum

they could have said yes they would come on  other forums, would that have made a difference ?

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 15:27
Theres a good chance I might be at the meet still as hopefully the insurance payment should be through so new car.
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 14:44

Mike Fishwick:

can i ask why the south west region never put details of they events on the south west region forum

johnny318is View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 16:11
You mean you didn't get your crystal ball when you joined Mike

Hopefully see you there if I can get my car sorted in time, not having you all taking the proverbial out of my bodywork
John

Plymouth UK

96 E34 540i Individual
98 E39 523i SE
01 Renaultsport Clio 172
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 16:55

be good to see you again john

new motor again

K1LL 3R View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 18:29

This car cruise and meet up sounds good!.. only if i could come but i live in midlands and its way too far for me to come, i have always wanted to meet up with the rest of the bmw fans..! hope everyone enjoys but let me know when there is one close by.

Thanks

325i Ron View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 07:20

Mike Fishwick ( back in the UK?)
      I have sent PM to Mike 318iS we will talk at Hestercome with David Leake.
   johnny 318is
       Dont need a crystal ball all Car Club events are on the web see link top of page, and in the Magazine!

Mike 318iS

Your right I should have put it in hear as well as the events on the web

Ron

Edited by 325i Ron
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 11:09
No thanks, Ron - I'll stay in France! Here in the Dordogne we have few speed cameras, not much traffic, interesting roads, no salt in winter, and overtaking is not regarded as a mortal sin. Even just going to the local supermarket is a challenging drive!

I'll be making a quick solo trip to attend the National AGM, and also (accompanied) for the SW AGM weekend. Hope to see you there?

If you buy your ferry fare cheaply (£42 return Boulogne to Dover)a trip such as this works out no dearer than flying with a so-called low fares airline, and it's fun. I enjoy driving my car - it's what I bought it for, and the further the trip the better. I must have the wrong idea, as most BMWCC members seem afraid to go around the block.

My view of what needs to be done is that more members should get out and about in their 'Ultimate Driving Machines' and attend official events, particularly the SW AGM, where they could press for events which suit them in different areas of the SW Region, and (ideally) an annual list of events to be published in January each year. People would be able to plan ahead, and perhaps even attend events.

My experience, however,is that the SW Region BMWCC members raise apathy to an art form, and claim that any event other than a 'show' type (such as the annual Concours, and the Hestercombe Show 'n Shine)is too far for them to drive. If an event is organised in their back yard - such as in Cornwall - still no-one turns out.

So - perhaps the many members who never attend any event should use this forum to inform the SW Committee (who are obviously aware of this forum, even if they do not appear on it)of the events which would tempt YOU to attend for an afternoon?   

Perhaps the idea of offically orgainised events is a thing of the past, and all people now require is the odd meet at Cheddar Gorge or a good pub etc - what do you think?
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 11:27
Oh this is really getting all deja-vu with the central meets mess about 12 months ago and, like the mafia, the anonimity of an internet forum managed to change a drama to full-blown crisis.

IMO its going to be too time consuming for someone to have to put every meet up on the forum and then remember to keep updating them so they don't fall off the bottom of the screen.

Why not either put a sticky locked thread up in the main SW section with a link to the events list or just put a locked thread with a run-down of events, meets etc for the year?

The worst about this is that it puts the people who are trying to get things going off doing anything! Coming from the Central (Milton Keynes) area I can smell apathy from way-off.

Last year the MK meets were attended by 10 or so people on average. Then it was publicised that the Central AGM was being held and at that AGM several people were appointed as area pub meet organisers.BRILLIANT everyone thought but IMO this just compounded the problem.

This caused some resentment by the present organisers who could not get to the AGM and were then told they couldnt organise meets unless through the new meet organisers. Then the new meet organisers almost to a man became very very insular about their own meets and stopped attending anyone elses meets!!

Result, well the MK meets prior to all that ran fromas little as 2 people up to 30-35 but averaged about 10-12, not bad for a Sunday lunchtime once a month. After the ruling.... well lets just say the best that it rated was 3.

Instead of the responces here why don't we look at the positive.....there are 2 immediately enthusiastic people wanting to organise things, ontop of Rons meets too- surely the more people there are offering more alternative style meets and on alternative days and times the better?...ok so Mikes meets are Mikes meets and not BMWCC meets but its a start. A clash of events is a real pain but now its happened can't we take a lesson that both can be run just need to be enough of a gap and notice.

Just my thoughts.

John
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 12:49
John's comments are fine - but if those using this forum to orgainise events are enthusuastic BMWCC members, why not do it under the auspices of the Club? It makes life a lot easier for everyone.

As matters stand, it looks as if such events are orgainsed in opposition to the BMWCC SW Region, which is (I hope) not the case.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 14:17
I don't think for one moment thats it Mike its just enthusiasm coupled with not checking or knowing where to check.

One problem that the issues with the central region highlighted was that for a meet to be organised under the banner of the CC it can only be attended by CC members-this could cause resentment from non-CC members and IMO just points to BMW enthusiasts not in the CC that the BMWCC is very eliteist and aloof. Also if a meet was organised this way then surely it almost negates the point of the meet which is to bring new blood into the CC?

As far as I see our energy would be better put to ironing out these discrepancies so they don't happen again. This time is unfortunate by why not get all 3 parties working together to get 3 regular things going, then add a 4th, 5th etc etc.

If, as suggested earlier, no-one on the SW commitee is a forum member maybe its suggested that at least one of them gets on here.
SF_Biggy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 15:07
Hello all another south west member here based in Exmouth Devon
325i Ron View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 15:23
First welcome to SF_Biggy are you a Club Member or just a forum person? like the car perhaps you would like to join us at Hestercombe Gardens Nr Taunton 7th May open to all.

Ron Parish
325i Ron View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 15:33
Now lets get these events sorted. As I said Mike318is and I will sort things out for next year we will meet up at Hestercombe, so thats that one. I think thats a good idea re a sticky for the events so I wll do it, another one sorted. I will check with Nigel re "Nigels Cruise" and post details. I dont think the South West are into the forum I am not on the committee (I have enought to do monthly meets E30 Chair and Hestercome) so I will try to help out here.

Mike F see you at the National AGM

Ron
SF_Biggy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 16:03
Ohh i think im just a forum member at the mo
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 16:45

SF_Biggy: welcome mate

ron: see you at hestrecombe

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2006 at 16:45
just over 2 weeks to go now
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2006 at 13:41
right iam meeting a few of us at 11 at the ford dealership in torquay, if anyone in that area wants to meet us there , they can

then i am meeting some of the plymouth lads at 12 at exeter sevices if anyone from that area can meet us there

everyone else i will see you at the meet at 1

feel free to pm or ring my mobile if you need to get hold of me, i have sent my mobile number to everyone ia pm

get cleaning those cars, see everyone on sunday
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2006 at 05:39

1 day to go

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic