Forum LockedBritish Justice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2006 at 16:26
Am I missing something here?

The scumbag killed someone. Is that not manslaughter? I'm sure I've heard the term "Vehicular Manslaughter" before.

What if he'd been having a laugh with a air rifle & killed her. Whatever item he used it was still (at best) his negligence which caused the death. Can the childs parents sue in a civil court?

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Sponsored Links

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2006 at 16:36
Originally posted by Robmw Robmw wrote:

Livvy,

The point is there are more than enough charges that could have been used some with the seriousness that the total overall episode demanded.

The judge had the power to refuse the drivers/ thief/ cowards plea.

The CPS also should hold their collective heads in shame for the charge that they decided to proceed with.

Who has picked this up? To stop it happening again for that is the important point here. The law grows. Sadly with the government of the day, Unless the Sun starts a front page campaign nothing happens.

We should all be writing to The Sun asking for their help.

Refuse a guilty plea ?
What other charges were there with sufficient evidence to convict ?
Have you some inside intimate knowledge of this case ?

If you think that what he did constituted dangerous driving then I think that you neither understand what constitutes dangerous driving in law & how difficult it is to prove.
It is because this type of situation occurs with alarming regularity (person killed & insufficient evidence to charge with death by dangerous) that the new offence of death by careless driving is being introduced in the road safety bill.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2006 at 16:44
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Am I missing something here?

The scumbag killed someone. Is that not manslaughter? I'm sure I've heard the term "Vehicular Manslaughter" before.

What if he'd been having a laugh with a air rifle & killed her. Whatever item he used it was still (at best) his negligence which caused the death. Can the childs parents sue in a civil court?

The fact somebody died doesn't make it an offence of manslaughter, there is far more to it than that. You've got to show gross negligence in relation to the driving act itself, if you are going to go for gross negligence manslaughter. It is the actions that led to it (the driving not the fact he was uninsured etc) that matter.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2006 at 10:04
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

and I don't see anyone outwardly saying that the guy got off lightly because of his skintone. 

well there was:

"On the same news bulletin that carried the driving story where an asian gets 12 weeks for killing a little girl, someone with a "white" sounding name gets remanded in custody awaiting sentance for cutting his girlfriends ponytail off"

and

"I read the same story! Disgusting, although not totally surprised. This country has fast become PC Heaven. Anyone in any authority, be it the police, magistrates, teachers, and parents are too scared to give out suitable justice because of political correctness."

Maybe not blatantly, but inferred.

I'm not trying having a dig at anyone either, just saying things as I see them.

Thanks for the correction.

M3tiko - please accept my apologies for my mistakes in my earlier post.

Doesn't change the fact that I think skintones/ethnicity shouldn't enter into it  And no, I'm not so naive as to believe that racism doesn't exist.

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2006 at 11:14
(magistrate's court - that means a mason!)   So your basically saying its a masonic conspiracy?
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 05:37
Do not take my comments re the ethnic origin of the car theif as being racist - my meaning was simply that with islamic riots around the country regarding the cartoons of the Prophet, the government probably told those running our judicial system to go soft on anyone with an islamic-sounding name, in case it provoked another riot.

Think this knd of thing does not happen? On a smaller scale, an ex-traffic officer of my accquaintance was not permitted to pursue (for example) a stolen car into a certain area of Birmingham, as an arrest in such an area would result in the 'Community Leaders' claiming that the police were victimising his people.

The normal Islamic people are probably just as upset by this matter as anyone else, for they will see that it may provoke undeserved resentment against them. Remember - Islaam preaches honesty and care for children etc, and is not far removed fomr Christianity in many ways - a pity the extremists never think about that.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 05:50
Originally posted by Mike Fishwick Mike Fishwick wrote:

Do not take my comments re the ethnic origin of the car theif as being racist - my meaning was simply that with islamic riots around the country regarding the cartoons of the Prophet, the government probably told those running our judicial system to go soft on anyone with an islamic-sounding name, in case it provoked another riot.

Think this knd of thing does not happen? On a smaller scale, an ex-traffic officer of my accquaintance was not permitted to pursue (for example) a stolen car into a certain area of Birmingham, as an arrest in such an area would result in the 'Community Leaders' claiming that the police were victimising his people.

The normal Islamic people are probably just as upset by this matter as anyone else, for they will see that it may provoke undeserved resentment against them. Remember - Islaam preaches honesty and care for children etc, and is not far removed fomr Christianity in many ways - a pity the extremists never think about that.

I don't see that in this case at all.

He was convicted wasn't he, he pleaded guilty & was given a sentence that was nearly half of the maximum available. That isn't  appeasement in order to placate a section of the community, that is quite normal.

The case does more to display that there is insufficient offences available on the statute for this kind of thing & insufficient sentencing power than it does anything to do with race or political correctness in this country.
Mine & mine alone.
Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 07:07
Livvy

Your comments were totally expected. I am afraid you are in the minority . You do not see public opinion .

Public Opinion is - they are disgusted, people from ALL walks of life are disgusted by the crime and its lack of punishment.

Look at the newspapers , look at the threads to this subject, listen to Question Time on the BBC then make an opinion.

I have based my opinion on what I have learnt from experience of life , from what I have read, from what I have heard on Radio and TV.

Remember that punishment is supposed to be a deterrent.

This travesty of justice. It should not be allowed to happen again. Please state here on this forum whether you feel 12 weeks for stealing a car, driving without insurance, leaving the scene of an accident is a fair sentence. Remember that accident killed a life. A simple Yes or No will do.
Robert Born
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 08:07
Originally posted by Robmw Robmw wrote:

Livvy

Your comments were totally expected. I am afraid you are in the minority . You do not see public opinion .

Public Opinion is - they are disgusted, people from ALL walks of life are disgusted by the crime and its lack of punishment.

Look at the newspapers , look at the threads to this subject, listen to Question Time on the BBC then make an opinion.

I have based my opinion on what I have learnt from experience of life , from what I have read, from what I have heard on Radio and TV.

Remember that punishment is supposed to be a deterrent.

This travesty of justice. It should not be allowed to happen again. Please state here on this forum whether you feel 12 weeks for stealing a car, driving without insurance, leaving the scene of an accident is a fair sentence. Remember that accident killed a life. A simple Yes or No will do.

I'm not missing the point at all robmw

As I said I think that there should be greater power to deal with this.
I would support a longer sentence for what happened.

But in order for that to happen firstly the accused has to be convicted of an offence & then sentenced with regards to that offence, not with regard to another unconvicted one. Any sentence for breaking the law has to be within the law itself.

You can't convict him of failing to stop after an accident (which has a small custodial sentence available for sentencing) & then use the sentencing powers for murder (which has far greater sentencing powers.)

People complain about the sentence because of a lack of understanding. They think there is scope to serve out a greater punishment because they look at the end result (the death of a 3 year old) rather than what actual offences the person has been convicted of. You are sentenced more for what part your actions play in something (intent/recklessness) than what the consequences of it were.

They complain about the sentence, but there wasn't much more could be done with that.
The real problem is that there isn't a suitable offence or punishment available in law at the moment & a proposed change of that is on the way (& was on the books before this case even came to light).

You keep saying he stole the car, but it doesn't say he was convicted of stealing the car. It may be alleged but not proved as is required. He was convicted of no insurance, but this only carries a fine & penalty points. He was convicted of careless driving, again fine & points. He was convicted of failing to stop & report, this does carry a custodial sentence & he was given a custodial sentence that would be pretty much par for the course considering his plea of guilty. That's all he was cahrged with because that's the offences he commited that were capable of proof.

Yes all of that may be woefully inadequate given the outcome of the collision, but the court can only sentence within the law.

When the new offence of death by careless driving comes in, with the sentencing available for that he would probably only get a 2-3 years inside in these circumstances. That's better, but it's still not going to bring her back.

A judge can't set a sentence based on public opinion, they have to look at it objectively & sentence with regard to the options available in law.

There will of course come a nasty flipside for everyone with the introduction of this new offence (because such a wide net will catch many, not just offenders like the person in this case). If you are doing 40 in a 30 & for whatever reason you are invloved in a fatal collision (ie a child runs into the road & you kill them), then you may find yourself spending some time in jail with the effect that has on your livelyhood a family. How many people who travel over the speed limit at the moment, have thought about those consequences ?

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 08:51
err was that a yes or no?
e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 08:59
Originally posted by dutch dutch wrote:

err was that a yes or no?

Life isn't that simple.
Answers to important issues require greater clarification than a yes or no.

Yes the sentence was what you'd expect for the offences he was convicted of within the current law.
No the current law isn't adequate to deal with these circumstances & proposed changes were in the pipeline before this case, in recognition of that need.

(That's the condensed answer.)

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 14:30
Well i think thanks to livvy we got the clarification, as for the yes or no well you will have to make up your own mind to that, but in my eyes its a big fat YES he did get of  far too lightly for what he did.
dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 14:39
or is it a big fat NO justice wasn't metered out?   
e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 14:42

I agree db, and thanks to livvy.

My original words weren't supposed to be racist, and if Livvy doesn't accept the police back off for fear of being called racist or upsetting the poor little darlings, then Livvy needs to get out a bit more.

Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 14:46
It has long been my opinion (I think in tandem with others) that there was insufficient scope to deal with careless driving resulting in death. This is by no means the first case of this type, it is trotted out every time someone is killed & quite foten it results in no custodial sentence at all because there is no custodial penalty for the offences committed.

If this guy had stopped he wouldn't have gone to prison, but he would still have knocked down & killed a 3 year old.

The new legislation will address that, but as I say it will provide a flipside that kicks back because actually proving careless driving is pretty easy, so if anyone is unfortunate enough to be involved in a fatal collision & the act of their driving at the time falls below the standards expected of a reasonable competent driver, then they may end up in prison.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 14:50
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

I agree db, and thanks to livvy.

My original words weren't supposed to be racist, and if Livvy doesn't accept the police back off for fear of being called racist or upsetting the poor little darlings, then Livvy needs to get out a bit more.

The fact the Police don't take action that you might expect at the time (such as at certain demonstrations in London recently) doesn't mean that any unlawful action isn't addressed post event.

Their first priority at large scale public order events is public safety, offences can be dealt with later.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 15:02
It goes much further than that Livvy.
Best Wishes

Nigel

dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 16:45

Nigel wrote :-

I must point out that i am no way racial and never have been but I totally agree with you nigel, a cousin of mine was a police officer in this country and they where told exactly that, to lay off ethnic people where they could to fetch the police force out of the stigma it had for been racial, as years ago the force was rife with racism, so was the british armed forces i should know i was in it, but to be fair i was at our hospital a few months ago when a ethnic person walked passed and out of view, but a bunch of lads was using racial comments about the ethnic person, and there was three police officers sat there with someone from the holding cells who needed medical attention, they made it quite clear to these lads that if they heard one more comment then they would be arrested

m3tiko View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 17:51
"Upsetting these poor little darlings"....Nigel it seems to me you have a problem with people from ethnic backgrounds. If that can't be inferrred as a insult then...mmmm

Nigel....why don't you elaborate? Only if you care to share it.

And HELL YES the lads punishment wasn't severe enough and thats coming from a "poor little darling"

TBH this is becoming a f****** joke.

335d evolve 354bhp/742nm....M3 SEE YA!!

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 18:42

Originally posted by m3tiko m3tiko wrote:

"Upsetting these poor little darlings"....Nigel it seems to me you have a problem with people from ethnic backgrounds. If that can't be inferrred as a insult then...mmmm

Nigel....why don't you elaborate? Only if you care to share it.

And HELL YES the lads punishment wasn't severe enough and thats coming from a "poor little darling"

TBH this is becoming a f****** joke.

With you all the way on this one m3tiko.

Yes the sentence was a joke, because the law as it stands is not up to the job.

This sentence has nothing to do with the anything other than some scum bag getting off lightly because they can't charge him with a more serious offence.

Why has this got anything to do with the colour of his skin??!!?

Ok so he should have got 12 years but he did still get a custodial sentence. Hardly appeasment of the radical Muslims, who probably have no idea this case was even in court.

What do the 'experts' here think he should have been charged with then? Seeing as how you all read about it in the newspaper so you all know much better than the jury/judge etc the finer points of the case. His sentence was based on the crime he pleaded guilty too. In order to get a sigificantly bigger sentence he would have to have been found guilty of commiting a worse crime, so which one is it?

Did you lot all read the bloody Daily Mail for breakfast or something??

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic