Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs it fuel or electrics?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it fuel or electrics?
    Posted: 27-July-2003 at 12:46
I have a BMW 518i 1987(No laughter!!) and in the last year or so totally unexpected it loses all power whilst driving and will only tick over.After coaxing the throttle for a few minutes it revs extremely high,blows out smoke and then runs normally for what can be days weeks or months.Had a exchange air flow meter fitted,distributor cap replaced,thought it was sorted but it came last evening.
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2003 at 14:13
Absolutely no laughter from me, if ford can have engines that size in cars that size, why not bm, and with the speed limits as they are, almost no point having the bigger engines.
I take it yours is an E28, and at first thoughts I'd have gone for petrol, but being so dam intermittent it almost has to be electronic.
I havent actually had the same problem, but I've had similar gremlins, always intermittent, and so far I've managed to solve them by pulling the appropriate modules and redoing the soldering.These units are getting very old now, and are prone to dry jointing.
I only have the manual for the E34, but hopefully someone on here will have the E28 one, and be able to identify them for you.
If not, and your handy with a soldering iron, just start checking them one by one, all the bad joints I've come across so far have been very easy to see.
Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic