Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > General E30
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede30 325i convertible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: e30 325i convertible
    Posted: 07-March-2006 at 05:45

Hi,

Im going to look at a e30 325i convertible that is for sale localy. It is a 1989 f reg, with 120k and met black with cream leather. It has a hard top and apparently in overall great condition. I know it needs new shocks and breaks all round. Please can anyone help me and let me know what to look out for and what faults these models have, what kind of milage these engines are good for.....etc.

Many thanks,

Ben

Sponsored Links

Simon325i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2006 at 15:45

Capable mileage..? Seen plenty on 250k +, also seen quite a few that have given up the ghost at a low mileage, look after it, and it will look after you...

What to look for, well E30's biggest enemy is rust, though that said, convertibles and touring don't suffer anywhere near as badly as they're saloon counterparts.

Places to check for rust are, scuttle panel below windscreen, under fusebox, and same area on opposite side under battery, lower front wings especially if fitted with bodykit/mudflaps, rear arches, be sure to look and feel inside the arch too, around rear taillights, number plate lights, and behind number plate, also check all areas behind the trim inside the boot.

325i also has a good appetite for cracking cylinder heads, look closely for any signs of mayo under the oilcap, or on the dipstick, if the car has been sat for a while, this could just be condensation, but this would clear after a run if it's not mixing, also check coolant for oil, and general condition, it should be a tidy antifreeze colour, and not rusty coloured.

Brakes and suspension are both easy and cheap to replace, but can be a good bargaining point!

Good luck!!

Check it out! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 05:30
Hi, good advice above. Only thing i noted when buying my e30 325i convertible. Every single shocker was totally shot, and it still drove well compared to my previous car. The "bump" test didn't seem to show up, so if its unbelievably comfortable you will be looking at new shocks etc.

also, if the performance is below par its highly likley an air leak.

put your hand between the roof, and its seal, if you can get your hand in without alot of fuss, you will need new wires, and it will almost certainly leak. check the heater fan, there's some resistors that go easily, and changing the switch doesnt fix it!!!

besides that i think simon covered the lot!

oh, water in boot is normally only rear light seals, so don't worry too much on that.
www.335itc.co.uk
Its gonna be finished for summer!!! thats the plan!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic