FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW Warranty Changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2006 at 15:19
PPP/PPPP cheers for your efforts. Had downloaded the text from BM3W and intend to send it shortly.
Sponsored Links

PPPP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2006 at 10:06
Robstar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2006 at 10:36
"I acknowledge your request that I should respond to your email personally." Pull the other one!!! That reply is exactly the same reply as I received from a customer services manager. Perhaps they're so in tune with themselves that their replies are identical without even knowing it.
dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2006 at 10:42
well cosidering i dont like the shape of any of the new BMW series, and i certainly would never buy a brand new BMW because of the amount of money you lose as soon as you turn the key and drive away from the stealer, so the new warranty wouldnt apply to me any how i do believe you can buy your own independant warrenty through a broker, so buy one that covers what you want it to cover and give BMW the fingers
PPPP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2006 at 11:02
Originally posted by dirtybeemer dirtybeemer wrote:

well cosidering i dont like the shape of any of the new BMW series, and i certainly would never buy a brand new BMW because of the amount of money you lose as soon as you turn the key and drive away from the stealer, so the new warranty wouldnt apply to me any how i do believe you can buy your own independant warrenty through a broker, so buy one that covers what you want it to cover and give BMW the fingers

up to 90's BMW's - nice looking, good residuals, reliable, cheap to maintain, good customer service

Current day BMW's - UGLY, poor residuals, not so reliable, expensive to maintain, poor customer service

Robstar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2006 at 11:03
Originally posted by dirtybeemer dirtybeemer wrote:

buy your own independant warrenty through a broker

If only it were that easy. For an E39 M5 the vast majority of companies won't cover the VANOS, for instance. You need a tailor made policy which people are trying to organise, but progress is very slow. Most 3rd party warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.
dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2006 at 16:46

Robstar wrote :- If only it were that easy. For an E39 M5 the vast majority of companies won't cover the VANOS, for instance. You need a tailor made policy which people are trying to organise, but progress is very slow. Most 3rd party warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.

I didnt say it was easy did i, i simply said that you can get your own warranty to suit what you want covering, obviously it is going to take time to find the right one and they are out there, as for third party warranties i wouldnt say all off them are not worth the paper they are written on, as one i had quite a few years ago coverd my engine replacement and ecu on a Peugeout 406, like i said you have to shop around, but as i dont deal with stealers and finance as they are the biggest rip off going, then it dont apply to me anyhow.

PPPP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 04:32

BMW makes a pathetic attempt to justify the extortionate warranty hike.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=13422

rvbush View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 05:32
That explanation is, quite frankly, a load of old ----. Of course M cars cost more to repair, of course older cars are more likely to require repair, of course higher mileage cars are more likely to go wrong. Then again cars with additional optional equipment are more likely to need repair, convertibles have complex power roof mechanisms, 6 cylinder engines cost more to repair than 4 cylinder engines. How much further do you go? There are not that many M cars compared to others and, as such, the level of 'subsidy' from owners of non M cars will be relatively very low. Not all M cars need expensive repairs. I do more than average annual mileage (app 20K), I have had both M and non M BMW's over the last 8 years or so and generally reckon that the cost/benefit of the extended warranty has been about cost neutral to both parties. I am in the minority, by definition most vehicels cover average mileage, thus tipping the cost/benefit equation in favour of the warranty provider. The whole point of the warranty is to provide customers with an overall evening out of the costs of ownership. Both parties take a risk. Owners risk that their vehicles may cost significantly less than the cost of the warranty (generally the case), but are willing to take that risk as catastrophic failures tend to be expensive. Warranty company risks that occasional individual vehicles cost significantly more than the cost of the warranty to repair, but most don't hence the potential for profit. Also, the more vehicles in the warranty scheme, the less exposed the warranty company is to individual high costs. Oh well.

Edited by rvbush
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic