FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhad an off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 08:16

"Sharing my experience"...?       Sounds like bragging to me.

"Something I wouldn't want to happen to anyone else"...?       I think that anyone driving like that deserves what they get.  Even if the road was empty when you decided to floor it, you couldn't guarantee that someone else won't end up in your mess.

Glad to see you're ok but I think you're the one who needs to learn from the experience, not others.

Sponsored Links

M3PSM View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 08:17
Ian, don't take it too much to heart. I got assasinated for admitting going over 70mph on here.

Good to hear someone else "drives" their car.

On an empty, clear road with good visibility and clear sight ahead, it is not the work of the devil to push it a bit in my opinion.

I would bet most people on here speed at some point, and if not, there are plenty of Metro's on Ebay.

Hope you get the car sorted and get out and "drive" it again soon.

Paul
Drive it like you stole it!
www.myallracing.co.uk
Iain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 08:31

Ian, all I am saying is that I know what its like to lose someone to a 'speeding motorist'.  I dare say the 'speeding motorist' who killed a friend of mine believed the road to be clear.  Your car looks a fantastic BMW & nobody appreciattes a piece of engineering like your car more than I.  All im saying is there is a time & a place. 

Ian Godney View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 09:21

oh come on you lot , Yes I know there is a time and a place , with no one around it felt like the time and place ,

yes I got up to speed on a dual carriageway , I bet everyone on here has done that , show me anyone who says that have never sped and i'll show you a liar , so pot kettle black springs to mind.

Chas , take pauls advice and look for one of those Metro's on ebay , you obviously dont need the list of cars your 'bragging' about in your sig going the speeds you do.

www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk
M3PSM View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 09:33
Drive it like you stole it!
www.myallracing.co.uk
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 09:47
Speeding doesn't make someone a killer otherwise all drivers are killers. So owners of hand guns are killers as well then as we know the sole roll of a gun is to kill. Only if it's in the wrong hands does it kill. It sound like a mechanical error which caused the off. Glad you are ok and no-one else was injured.

I had a mechanical failure at a 100 when my master cylinder failed on my brakes, though this was on a track and no one was injured.

What would it have been like if Ian decided, oh, it's to dangerous to test the car on an empty dual carraige way and just go straight to the rally and have it happen on a stage with spectators.

Ian has been lucky but as he said it would not have happened if there had been cars around.

He could have done the testing on a track and if it had happen on the track, he could have collided with another car. It is just one of those things.

It's good to see all the people slagging Ian have never broken the highway code! i don't think so, we have all had mad moments and thought afterwards, that was lucky.

Edited by 215m3
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 09:51
Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

Speeding doesn't make someone a killer otherwise all drivers are killers. So owners of hand guns are killers as well then as we know the sole roll of a gun is to kill. Only if it's in the wrong hands does it kill. It sound like a mechanical error which caused the off. Glad you are ok and no-one else was injured.

I had a mechanical failure at a 100 when my master cylinder failed on my brakes, though this was on a track and no one was injured.

What would it have been like if Ian decided, oh, it's to dangerous to test the car on an empty dual carraige way and just go straight to the rally and have it happen on a stage with spectators.

Ian has been lucky but as he said it would not have happened if there had been cars around.

He could have done the testing on a track and if it had happen on the track, he could have collided with another car. It is just one of those things.

It's good to see all the people slagging Ian have never broken the highway code! i don't think so, we have all had mad moments and thought afterwards, that was lucky.

Well said

I can't map my ecu past 70

Steve
jpboost View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 09:52
well said toby...
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 09:58
70MPH speed limit on all track days is what i say, i might be able to keep up then ??? 

Edited by trackM3
Oops i went and got an E36 !
Simon325i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 10:00
Originally posted by Ian Godney Ian Godney wrote:

Chas , take pauls advice and look for one of those Metro's on ebay , you obviously dont need the list of cars your 'bragging' about in your sig going the speeds you do.

Hehe, they were my thoughts, but decided against posting!

This is going to be one of those 5 page posts again.....

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 10:22

Well said toby

Simon , say what you want everyone else is  

are you sure you dont want to lend me your bumpers , call it sponsorship

www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk
Northernman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 11:16

l. It sound like a mechanical error which caused the off. .

Mechanical error - I don't think so.  By his own admission it was cheapo sh*tty road tyres and brakes that weren't properly set up. In my book that's poor judgement and driver error, pure and simple. Mind you, I still don't understand how you can lose it and do several 360's on a straight. 

If you want to test yourself and your car to the  limit then you do it on the track, not a public road. If you take part in track days or spectate at rallies then by being there you accept the risk.  Your ordinary Joe out on the roads has a right to expect other road users to drive responsibly.  Losing it big time when doing a ton is irresponsible whichever way you cut it.  I'm not, and nor is anyone else, claiming to be an angel but those of you who condone such irresponsible driving do not do yourselves or this site any credit. 

It just smacks of boy racers.

'97 E36 M3 evo
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 11:38

Well I guess if were all as bad you should find another more responsible site to go on ,

I do call the rear brakes working stronger than the fronts mechanical error , what would you call it

go and pull your handbrake up at speed you will then will realise how easy it is to lose it on a straight ,

www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk
amorgan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 11:49

Ian, hope the car gets sorted in time.

By the way Chas, I take it that honda blackbird you have with a top speed of 185mph never sees more than 40% of its potential.  ur right. 

am
Northernman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 11:55

Ian Godney wrote "I do call the rear brakes working stronger than the fronts mechanical error , what would you call it"

You set the brakes up (badly) and as a result you rendered the car unsafe.  Then you tested it on a public road.  I call that irresponsible.

'97 E36 M3 evo
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 11:59
Originally posted by Northernman Northernman wrote:

l. It sound like a mechanical error which caused the off. . What would it have been like if Ian decided, oh, it's to dangerous to test the car on an empty dual carraige way and just go straight to the rally and have it happen on a stage with spectators. He could have done the testing on a track and if it had happen on the track, he could have collided with another car. It is just one of those things. It's good to see all the people slagging Ian have never broken the highway code! i don't think so, we have all had mad moments and thought afterwards, that was lucky.

Mechanical error - I don't think so.  

Your obviously not mechanically minded otherwise you would know why the rears lock up more than the fronts if the car has a brake bias valve on it.

If the valve is set to much towards the rear then this makes it an error buy the person setting it, therefore when the error occurs it makes it a mechanical error regardless of where it happened.

If you took a car to a garage and they replaced a part on your car that effected the brakes(not realising they had not replaced it correctly), so when you brake hard it causes the back end to lock up and step out, is this your fault because you used the brakes or the garages fault? It does not matter because it was a mechanical error.

It's happened so move on.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
m3bob View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 12:00

Hope u get the car sorted, it looks great

1987 Alpine E30 M3
1990 Alpine E30 M3 TRACK CAR
1988 E30 325 TOURING
1988 E30 325 CAB
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 12:46
Originally posted by Northernman Northernman wrote:

Ian Godney wrote "I do call the rear brakes working stronger than the fronts mechanical error , what would you call it"

You set the brakes up (badly) and as a result you rendered the car unsafe.  Then you tested it on a public road.  I call that irresponsible.

I didn't set the brakes up , I WAS setting the brakes up , to set them up they needed trying and adjusting , it was whilst adjusting and trying the incident happened , yes I did try it on a public road , one with no cars on so I would say I was acting responsibly , unfortunatly there is no other place around here including Llandow that I could do what I was trying to achieve.

But at the end of the day it did happen , no one was hurt , so get over it , I have .....

www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 12:46
Ian,
I don't want to join in the discussion what you should do or not on public roads (I am as guilty as everyone else...) neither do I want to question your driving skills.
But I find it a little bit worrying that you lost it on a straight line with no pressure from competition and nobody else on the road just by braking hard. (Ok I know crappy tyres but you know they have been on)
Let's hope things go a little bit better when you have to use the car in real anger.
Just shows that you can't heavily modify a car and expect it works first time. Even with everything top of the range parts.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 13:00

Uwe , I have a bias pedal box which you can adjust the braking pressure front to rear as the two systems work independently from each other , the brakes were adjusted slightly too far rearwards , the rears locked and lost traction and it just kicked sideways , I just about caught it but it tankslapped eitherside which I eventually  lost control over , luckly it had slowed a lot by the time I went off the road , it would be the same as trying a handbrake turn at high speed , pull the handbrake and it will not stop straight , the brake ballance is now perfect , just went through a lot of sh*t to get that done though , the brand new road tyres didnt help , they dont seem that grippy , but then I'm used to motorsport tyres that will grip more in the wet than a road tyre will grip in the dry.

In Ireland I will have an in car camera , so if I go off at least the 'experts' on here can let me know where I went wrong

Edited by Ian Godney
www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic