120d Sport in Monaco Blue
Sponsored Links

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 17:57
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Just for you Gordie

Oooooooooooo very very nice e24. When I saw that the pencil I had in my mouth fell out, mmmmmmm very nice. Yes please.

Not sure any new BMW would cause that reaction for me!
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 17:39

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 17:38

here's a good modification for your car Gordie

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Gordie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 17:36
WOW!!!!!! Now THAT'S what I call a beautiful car.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 17:12
Just for you Gordie,

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 16:59
Originally posted by Gordie Gordie wrote:

I remember I used to drool over the 635 shark nose when they were new.  I could'nt afford to keep one on the road now I'm afraid but I still think they're gorgeous cars.

I have to agree. However, I started to get a bit "precious" over my Six so bought my 316 Touring as my everyday car. I now have the best of both worlds - a fairly depreciation proof practical car in the Touring & something special for the weekends

Standing still for any company is fatal hence BMWs attempt to move into new markets. They redefined the compact sports saloon with the '02 & created a new niche with the E30 Touring. The 1-series is just an extention of their marketing plan.

With regards to BMW styling, with a few notable exceptions there aren't any heart stopping cars anymore. The days of the Ferrari 246, Lambo Muira, Aston DB5 & Jag E-Types are long gone because safety concerns demand a nuclear bunker on wheels. It's disappointing yes but it's the world we live in now.

AndyS

Gordie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 14:42

The 1 Series might grow on you as your car needs change.  It's a very capable car and a nice size, the boot is a fair old size because of no spare wheel because of the run flats.  It also goes like the clappers and sticks to the road like s**t to a blanket.

I remember I used to drool over the 635 shark nose when they were new.  I could'nt afford to keep one on the road now I'm afraid but I still think they're gorgeous cars.

Edited by Gordie
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 14:29
Originally posted by Gordie Gordie wrote:

It's also too big for my needs, if I want a lot of space I'd buy a field.

Very good. I suppose the e28 is a bit large for town dwelling folk. But then in the dim and distant past (well, the 80s) the styling of these cars was well defined and distinct - the shark nosed BMWs. Anyone I speak to who knows anything about cars usually comments in one way or another about shark noses, build quality and the good old days. These older cars stand for something, I love them and wouldn't look twice at any of the new cars tbh. The flame styling is trying very hard to cut a design direction for BMW, much as the shark did during the 70s and 80s. Not sure how successful it is though.

I do understand why BMW has felt the need to broaden the range, the old sales pitch of the same car in three sizes doesn't work any more. Reaching down to include the premium hatch market with the Golf and A3 is a real money spinner, so why not capitalise with a cabrio while they have the chance. Fair play to them. I can't stand the 1 series, nor the X3 or X5, plus I'm not keen on the new 3 series. Clearly, however, the sales figures prove me totally wrong, so thats good for the company.
www.doive.co.uk
Gordie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 14:01

Hi Stephen.  Your right about the Z3 with the bigger engines, they were really nice.  I think they still command decent prices even now.

The 1 series is a funny old thing with the slab sides.  As you know I'm only just over 5 feet and reaching out for parking tickets at the Eastgate in Inverness takes a bit of planning.  I'm used to it now though and the torque and handling makes me forgive it anything...almost.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 13:30

not keen on any of the 1-series models due to the slab-sided styling, the bland and bulky rear, and its no looker from the front either

sorry

i'm sure its lovely to drive though, seeing as i havent had that pleasure yet

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 13:24
oh i dunno, although its got a bad image due to hairdressing connetations the z3 felt like a nice wee car with the 2.8 engine imo, felt like a minature s1 e-type jaguar to sit in and drive (yes, i've driven both)

Edited by stephenperry

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Gordie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 13:17
Originally posted by Z3BMW Z3BMW wrote:

i fear bmw are trying to dillute the brand with some of there recent offerings. i understand that there market research polls are suggesting that most people aspire to own a bmw, but dont want to spend the kinda cash to buy and run a second hand 3 series (£6000-£7000 to pick up a decent E46?!!?) so they've went with the same strategy which sunk Mercedes image and credibility into decline a few years.

Prestige car manufactures should stick to Prestige cars. the 1 series is not Prestige. its an over priced Golf, the golf being over priced to start with.

I got rid of my 2005 320d because it was too big and not all that well built.  If there hadn't been a 1 series then I would have to have bought the Audi A3 Wagon.  At least this way I can stiuck with BMW which I think is a good brand.  Have you ever driven a 120d?  It's a better car than my 320d was.

If you are worried about BMW having their image damaged then look no further than the 1.9 Z3.  I test drove one a few years ago and it was anything but a sports car.

Anyway these are just my opinions, I'm sure nobody agrees with me though.

Gordie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 12:57

Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

The 1 series is never going to challenge anything for best looking title, although most of the other cars in the class look awful as well, apart perhaps from the Alfa Brera which is gorgeous. I suppose that people who find the MINI attractive will desire a 1 series as well, I'm sure they will sell very well - I'd save 15 grand and buy an e28 M5.

Not true...I test drove a MINI Cooper and it was nothing like the 1 series, it was a tiny, slow horrible wee thing.  In the real world the Alfa doesn't even get a look in because I buy new and after 3 years it would be worth b****r all. 

I've driven BMs for years and I agree that the E28 was a great car way back then, but it's it's just a nice looking old car now and I wouldn't have one for everyday use.  It's also too big for my needs, if I want a lot of space I'd buy a field.

Edited by Gordie
BMW328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 07:46

i fear bmw are trying to dillute the brand with some of there recent offerings. i understand that there market research polls are suggesting that most people aspire to own a bmw, but dont want to spend the kinda cash to buy and run a second hand 3 series (£6000-£7000 to pick up a decent E46?!!?) so they've went with the same strategy which sunk Mercedes image and credibility into decline a few years.

Prestige car manufactures should stick to Prestige cars. the 1 series is not Prestige. its an over priced Golf, the golf being over priced to start with.

Having said all that though. I still prefer it to a compact 3 Series. If your gonna buy a small car and want a quality marque then maybe this is the car for you.

my two pence worth

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 07:32
What you say is very true Andy. All the older BMWs are better looking IMO, I'd sooner have my car rather than any other 5 series (apart from a nice e12 perhaps), the looks have changed over the years as the cars have gotten bigger - but better looking? I'm not so sure. The e28 was IMO the most handsome 5 series, the e21 the best looking 3 series, the e24 quite possibly the nicest BMW in recent history.

The 1 series is never going to challenge anything for best looking title, although most of the other cars in the class look awful as well, apart perhaps from the Alfa Brera which is gorgeous. I suppose that people who find the MINI attractive will desire a 1 series as well, I'm sure they will sell very well - I'd save 15 grand and buy an e28 M5.
www.doive.co.uk
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 07:21
Since the whole car is covered with false panels how can any of you comment on what it looks like?

It's the same with every new BMW model, everyone shakes their head & says it isn't as nice as the previous model.

Nobody liked the E21 when it replaced the '02's. The E30 was criticised for being too similar to the E21. The E36 wasn't nearly as attractive as the E30. The E46 was just too tubby after the E36 and nobody likes the rear lights on the E90 saloon! As soon as the new model comes out everyone starts saying how wonderful the out-going model looks.

The same story is repeated for the 5-series & 7-series. Get a grip here. They're all selling in bigger numbers than their predecessors which is what BMW are in business to do. The doom-merchants declare each new model as being ugly - take a look at the competion. They are no better - even Ferrari can't make a decent looking car anymore. Blame crash & safety requirements not the designers.

As far as the 1-series convertible is concerned, look at what BMW's rivals have to offer. Fat-@rsed Meganes or half converted hatchbacks. The 1-series convertible will sell like hot pies on Cup Final day & BMW won't be able to make enough of them.
AndyS

Gordie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2006 at 08:30
I agree, it looks hideous.  I have a 120d hatch which I traded in my 3 series Touring for and it's a cracking wee car.  The new 3 series was just too big, it felt almost as big as a 5 series, and certainly bigger than an E46.  By the way everyone comments on how big the boot is on mine for the size of the car.  Anyone who says it's tiny either hasn't seen inside one or else expects too much from a wee car.  It also cost me less, after discount, than a top of the range Megane. All in all a really nice car, and blows the **** off my 3 series.
dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 18:56

Sorry it dosent cut it with me it has that very ugly front end for a start, the bar shelf reminds me of the ford capri/classic, in fact it looks like Noddy has pimped his ride PARP PARP

Edited by dirtybeemer
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 18:41
Like this perhaps.

www.doive.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic