Forum LockedE39 ASC and ABS Lights on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 ASC and ABS Lights on
    Posted: 20-March-2006 at 03:04

Day off on Friday, out in the car, start up normal.  I turn the ignition on and let all the warning lights go out before starting engine.  All lights go out.

Drove 1/4 mile ASC and ABS light come on. Drove to where I was going, switched off and then came back 30 mins later.  Re-start car and ASC and ABS lights stay on and don't clear at all.  Drive car forward about 10mon and and lights go off. Great.  Drive 1/4 to 1/2 mile and both lights then come back onand then stay on for the rest of the trip.

Having closely followed Killian's and Tom's woes about the ASC light being stuck on, I checked the ASC throttle actuator cable and it is fine but in both Killian's and Tom's cars it is only the ASC light that is on. 

Can I presume that I have a different fault then?

Can I assume that it is a dodgy wheel sensor then? 

Cruise still works fine, but the gear changes are maybe a bit out compared to recently, this would also suggest a wheel sensor.

Do I need to jack up all four corners and measure the resistance of each sensor in an effort to find the dodgy one, or do I stop being tight fisted and having the attitude 'I'll fix it myself' and take it to a garage for a diagnostic check?

Any suggestions for having both ASC and ABS lights on?

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 04:26
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Day off on Friday, out in the car, start up normal.  I turn the ignition on and let all the warning lights go out before starting engine.  All lights go out.

Drove 1/4 mile ASC and ABS light come on. Drove to where I was going, switched off and then came back 30 mins later.  Re-start car and ASC and ABS lights stay on and don't clear at all.  Drive car forward about 10mon and and lights go off. Great.  Drive 1/4 to 1/2 mile and both lights then come back onand then stay on for the rest of the trip.

Having closely followed Killian's and Tom's woes about the ASC light being stuck on, I checked the ASC throttle actuator cable and it is fine but in both Killian's and Tom's cars it is only the ASC light that is on. 

Can I presume that I have a different fault then?

Can I assume that it is a dodgy wheel sensor then? 

Cruise still works fine, but the gear changes are maybe a bit out compared to recently, this would also suggest a wheel sensor.

Do I need to jack up all four corners and measure the resistance of each sensor in an effort to find the dodgy one, or do I stop being tight fisted and having the attitude 'I'll fix it myself' and take it to a garage for a diagnostic check?

Any suggestions for having both ASC and ABS lights on?

Andrew

Andrew,

If I get a chance tonight or tomorrow night, I'll have a look at the Bentley Bible for ya.....in the meantime, I'd advise you to have a look through www.roadfly.org cos when I was looking for hints on the ASC fault, there were a lot of posts about ASC & ABS combined faults.

Tom

Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 06:33

Thanks Tom, much appreciated.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 07:02

Check your front left sensor - seemingly that's the one that goes most frequently for some reason.

I'd get it done by a garage as it affects the ABS.  But that's just me.

Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 07:31

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e39/6261321-1.html

Is your speedo still working as normal?

Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 08:01

Yup everything is normal, just have these sodding lights on in the dash!  Although the gear change has been a bit 'off' recently which was maybe a hint that one of the sensors is on its way out and now it has finally gone.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
whitey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 14:17

I'd say wheel sensor. If your cruise is still working it's unlikely to be the off side rear. Rumour is the near side rear is linked to the speedo so if thats still working that one should still be okay. However if your gearchanges are out then maybe it detects engine speed to road speed and therefore it'll change at different times??

Fronts? I'm not sure as I would have thought that as the ASC is affected then it would be a rear one as it needs to detect a spinning driven wheel.

When both my lights came up my cruise packed in also and that was definately the right rear (off side).

Good luck with this. I spent a weekend trying to id which sensor. it's quiker to take it to the dealer for a diagnostics check. You don't have to have the work done, just id the fault.

2000 e39 523i with full factory sport kit.
1989 e30 325i Convertible
1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 03:11

Thanks Whitey

How did you detect what was the problem?  Did you take it to a dealer for a diagnostic check?

Just foned my local garage (Not BMW), they say they should be able to diagnose it and tell me what is wrong with it.

I quite fancy checking it myself though, I wonder if the long haired general will let me get my socket set out this weekend instead of looking at wedding photographers??????

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bpc101 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 05:11

Something a garage did for me when testing to see if it was sensors or the ABS Unit (unfortunately ended up being the unit) is to swap them round... Front and Rears are different, but if you swapped the rears over and your speedo stops working then you know it is that one (Speedo definately works off the near side rear).

In the 6 months i have had mine I have had all 4 sensors replaced and the ABS Control Unit  but at least I know they will all be ok for a bit!

Good luck this weekend, and just be careful in taking them out as they can break...

Ian :0 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 08:02
Both ASC + ABS = generally wheel sensor. Faff on or part with cash and have a dealership cup of coffee while you wait....oh, and a drool over something expensive !
Ian
whitey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 11:08

Thanks Whitey

How did you detect what was the problem?  Did you take it to a dealer for a diagnostic check?

Just foned my local garage (Not BMW), they say they should be able to diagnose it and tell me what is wrong with it.

I quite fancy checking it myself though, I wonder if the long haired general will let me get my socket set out this weekend instead of looking at wedding photographers??????

Andrew

Hi Andrew. I am on very good terms with my main dealer due to me not only having had all my 5's serviced there for the past 10 years but also parting with fortunes in the parts depatment for the e30!!!

Like I say I'd spent a day just messing about and it was mid winter (as cold as it is at the moment). In the end I popped in on the off chance to see if they were busy. Although snowed under (between xmas and the new year) with flat batteries etc. my preffered service adviser asked me for my keys, invited me to help myself to a coffee, whizzed it round the back and returned it litterally 10 mins later, handed me back the keys and said "right rear". I asked him how much I owed him, he just stated "have a happy new year mr. white" and the matter was closed.

You see he knows i know a bit and that he won't get the additional work out of me (over and above the service to get the stamp and the strictly main dealer stuff) due to me having the tools and facilities at home to complete the work. He also realises that a good will gesture and politeness means more to me than any other part of their service.

I walked into the parts dept and bought one there and then, went home fitted it and hey presto.......a clear dash.

Good luck but I fear you'd be quicker to just run it into the dealer and get them to diagnose it. Tell them your sure it's a wheel sensor, just which one?

Trevor

1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 11:52
Originally posted by bpc101 bpc101 wrote:

Something a garage did for me when testing to see if it was sensors or the ABS Unit (unfortunately ended up being the unit) is to swap them round... Front and Rears are different, but if you swapped the rears over and your speedo stops working then you know it is that one (Speedo definately works off the near side rear).

In the 6 months i have had mine I have had all 4 sensors replaced and the ABS Control Unit  but at least I know they will all be ok for a bit!

Good luck this weekend, and just be careful in taking them out as they can break...

So how much was your ABS unit then?  Costaplenty?

There is no need to get a garage to diagnose the fault at present, I have months to go on the MOT (the one time of year when you need the ABS to work!) and I like pottering with the car anyway.  I am not in a rush to get it fixed as I do not rely on ABS to make my braking safer not do I rely on the traction control to get me round the bends.  I just want to know what the fault is so I can fix it at my leisure. 

Gives me an excuse to get the socket set out and clean the underbody while I'm doing it.

Thanks for all the tips so far.

Andrew

PS Any chance you could take my E39 to your dealer then Whitey????

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 14:11
Fey, had a look at the Bentley...few pages there that might help you.  I'll have time in the morning so I'll scan them in and post them up by about half 10.
Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 14:48

It did "Costaplenty"... £400 plus vat for the "Repair kit"... This was the bit I loved! For a new ABS unit it would cost the best part of £1000, now BMW clearly know that they had a problem with the stock in 1999 as they are selling several of these repair kits (from Bosche) a month. The repair kit needed some re-wiring as it bi-passes the faulty unit but it is essentially a bolt on plastic box to the original unit.! All in all 4 x sensors and the kit plus labour cost me just shy of £1000. Just glad I got the car £1250 less than what my mate was selling it for.

whitey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 17:19

PS Any chance you could take my E39 to your dealer then Whitey????

Seriously though, all dealers have a duty to diagnose the problem. You are not bound over to have the work done. It would only be their minimum charge and I'm yet to speak to anyone who has successfully diagnosed which one it is without the daignostics kit.

However if your local garage can help, I bet he'd be cheaper.

I am lucky though, to have (to a certain extent) straightened the dealer out. I know that when it comes out from the service, all the advisories will need doing. The guy knows that I will take the car away and deal with them myself so he's not gonna gain at all, except maybe on the parts. 

1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 03:00

Local main $tealer want 1 hours labour charge for a diagnostic check.

Local garage will probably do it for nowt as I have been going to them for years, it is just finding the time to take it to him that is all.

It might need fixing sooner than later as I have found that when I kickdown on the motorway, the car will change down to third and then stay in third and the engine will screaming it's head of at 5000 rpm as the autobox hasn't up shifted.  This shift fault and the ABS/ASC fault must be linked in other words it has to be a knackered wheel sensor.

A wheel sensor is £50 for an OEM part from Euro Car parts.  I might buy one front and one rear and do it by trial and error but that would cost me more than the diagnostic charge from my local main $tealer so I am back at square 1!

I guess I should just find the time to take it to my local garage then!

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 03:52

Andrew, here are the few pages from the Bentley manual.  The pictures didn't scan in great because I just used the B&W setting, but if you're stuck for one, let me know and I'll scan it in on better quality.

There is another section on the ABS/traction control hydraulic unit, removing & installing

If you want that also, let me know

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/tosullivan/Car/Bentle y340-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/tosullivan/Car/Bentle y340-27.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/tosullivan/Car/Bentle y340-26.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/tosullivan/Car/Bentle y300-14.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/tosullivan/Car/Bentle y300-13.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/tosullivan/Car/Bentle y300-12.jpg

Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 07:52

Many thanks Tom.

I have had a look at your scans, I should manage from that.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 01:45

Latest on my problem.

Start car, lights stay on then disappear after driving forward about 10 m.  I get to the end of my street and brake (20 mph max speed) at the give way and the ABS kicks in.

This happens every time I touch the brake pedal until I get above 25-30mph when both warning lights come back on.  At least I know the ABS unit isn't broken, it just can't tell when a wheel is or isn't about to lock. 

So it must be a wheel sensor!

Tranny is also playing up.  No warning lights or anything but it won't change from 2nd to 3rd (which is about the same speed 25-30 mph when the lights come back on) half the time and also changing from 3rd to 4th is a problem sometimes.  ECU obviously can't tell what speed the car is doing in relation to the tranny output sensor.  Hopefully this tranny fault is related!

Car is booked in to local garage for a diagnostic at 08.10 on Thursday morning.  Get the check done then off to work a bit late.  Get the sensor on Thursday lunchtime and fit on Saturday.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 01:57

Lights are on all the time now

Hope this doesn't mean something worse now

A neighbour who is a mechanic suggested taking it out on the back roads and slamming the brakes on to get it to lock up and that might 'somehow' cure the fault. 

He also implied that even though the lights were on in the dash there would still be a degree of ABS breaking. He also said that if you slam them on hard enough and the wheel which has the faulty sensor would lock and from looking at the skid marks on the road you could tell which wheel had the fault.

Anyone else heard this?

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic