FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTotal BMW Magazine feature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total BMW Magazine feature
    Posted: 20-March-2006 at 19:22
Hi Guys, had Total BMW ag up a couple of weeks ago, to do a feature on the Henna E28, six hours of loads of photos, poss doing a feature on the car in coming months. The guys seemed gen, took loads of pics, a few hundred, ( now their copyright apparently) to use as they wish. But get the impression they are as shallow as puddles! not really interested in the spirit of things, as much as making dosh only from a commercial pont of view, correct if I'm wrong.Trying to get in touch with the reporter since pics day ( Andy E) seems a waste of space!
Donnie
Sponsored Links

NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 05:02
Well they couldnt be bothered sending anyone north of the border for the rolling road day either
528 for now
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 09:14

Nick@TBMW Is a forum member

Ask him

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 13:40
Had the same guys up to my car in the NE and couldn't disagree more.

I found the reporter Andy E. very knowledgable & enthusiastic about BMW's & cars in general. They were up for two days, shooting my two friends Baurs on the second day.

We tried to make them feel welcome, taking them to our local pub & having lunch with them (which they insisted paying for). Andy E. has even taken the trouble to send me an out of print copy of a TBMW magazine which I was after.

Shallow? Not to me & my friends.

There are always two sides to things like this & your remarks probably say more about your depth of character & space utilisation than theirs.

As my old mum used to say, "If you've nothing nice to say about someone, don't say anything".

Edited by AndyS
AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Drew540i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Available from all good newsagents!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 19:11
Originally posted by donniebmwm535 donniebmwm535 wrote:

Trying to get in touch
with the reporter since pics day ( Andy E)
seems a waste of space!

Maybe leaving a message on the answer phone
would be a good plan?
Drew540i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Available from all good newsagents!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 19:22
Originally posted by NOISUFNOC NOISUFNOC wrote:

Well they couldnt be
bothered sending anyone north of the border for the
rolling road day either

Really? Well at 40 pence a mile from anywhere in
their office in Bath you do the maths.

That's around £250-300 in petrol expenses alone.
Add to that a day rate for a photographer (£300) and
the same again for a journo and you'll see why
nobody does r/r days in Scotland. Sorry, but £1000 to
photograph 10 cars on a dyno is rather steep! Plus
do you really expect two guys to drive to Scotland and
back in one day for a job lasting 2 hours?
NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 02:46

It was them that expressed and interest to start with at Gaydon, maybe it was sun stroke.  Some people seem to thing that Hadrians wall still exists. 

Theres an airport called bristol 20miles from bath, easyjet to glasgow £59 is you dont want to drive it.  And I seriously doubt if they would send two of their £100,000 a year staff to do the feature.  If fact if they were serious about it then they could have contacted the scottish region about them coming up to see Donny, Fast Ford did a feature on a cossie here years ago, and they covered six other cars while here, they then used one a month for the next 6 months in seperate features.

Note to self, start writing for Total BMW articicles are paid on day rate and not number of words as is usual for reporters.

Wrant over, their offer, their loss

528 for now
Del64 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Double 6 driver

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 04:20
WOW!!!!
There is a whole heap of emothion floating around in this post, and taking a view detached I can see Donnies point as well as Drew's
Regrettably the magazine is a business, full stop its there to make money as a by product it features cars that we to a man are 100% passionate about and completely enthused over. Sadly it really is too far North for the majority of mags to cover in a traditional sense, however if you work with these guys there are more ways to skin cats than this.
Donnie, I know your feelings on this as they mirror my own as we met in a very soggy Calander LMAO your passion and devotion plus perspective is spot on. but, as I work weekly in London or South Wales yet live in Ayrshire, the travel is a real expense and a killer.

Andy, there is a huge following in Scotland and to dismiss a trip as ten cars and a dyno is unfair.
Ten cars and a dyno an e28, e36, e32, B12 ekat then it will be "more" viable. Plus Andy, I seek out locations to photo both cars and the geography with digital cameras we can do the grunt in some of the instances Pete330 has astounded me with some of the shots he took of his 323i couple they are truly worthy of a mag placement in his attention to detail, working in colaboration you do the prose we can work on the pics and everyone benefits. I (we) are only at the end of a phone on location at meets (in the pub more likely!) to inject the feel. It has to be worth discussion?

2009 520d SE Business Edition

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 09:02
As Derek suggests, I also scouted out locations prior to the TBMW team arriving. I also organised several other cars as incentive - the North East is the back of beyond to anybody in the south so the more cars, the more worthwile the trip would be for them.

Also pertinent is the attitude you take. Whilst a 635 is a pretty rare sight up here & my 635 is the absolute dogs danglies to me, to a professional journalist who's seen loads of them it's just another 635 with a proud owner.  

You can't expect them to fall on their knees & wail "We're not worthy, we're not worthy" when faced with your pride & joy.

AndyS

donniebmwm535 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 12:08
Hi, guys, just to keep the record straight, I did try and contact Andy at Total a number of times, by phone and emails,  with no response, that said Andy has now been in touch, since the posting, and Ive now cooled down!. So apoligies for being a bit aggressive on my first posting. Saying that, it doesnt take a lot to keep in touch, does it!
Donnie
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 17:08
Shall we all hug now???

AndyS

Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 17:23

Aye, OK AndyS, but the point I'm making is, we probably all buy the BMW Mags', we mostly make the effort to get to the bigger events (Gayden, Donnington etc), but are left mostly to our own devices up in the far distant remote north. And we all spend a lot of time on our cars, therefore making a point that the north and Scottish members are as important part of the club as everywhere else. Cheers

Donnie
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 20:13
Hi Derek, my feelings exactly, see you at next meet, regards Donnie
Donnie
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 20:20
Hi NOISUFNOC,  Good point, there seems to be a barrier, over the border, regards Donnie
Donnie
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 06:36
I'd agree, when it comes to Scotland we seem to be largely ignored in favour of english cars. Of course we are flippin miles away from base, but I don't see why a reporter couldn't jump on a plane and come up to a large meeting of cars to capture as many cars as possible. It's the same story with classic car mags, only once in several blue moons do you ever see a car from even the north of Englandshire, most magazines are based in Kent or Warwickshire and are therefore only vaguely aware that anything exists north of Leeds. I'd love to see more Scottish cars featured, but in reality it costs them more money and therefore are less likely to feature them.

How about a BMWCC Scotland magazine?
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 08:26
How about a nice big clubs feature in F&M - use the existing Scottish car mag? Maybe even a supplement - F&M BMW

Best way to get more Northern content in the BMWCC mag is to send it in. Mag doesn't write itself.

Is anyone co-ordinating Scottish content submission to the BMWCC mag at the mo?
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 10:59

Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

How about a nice big clubs feature in F&M - use the existing Scottish car mag? Maybe even a supplement - F&M BMW

Recon they would only feature maxed out cars?

Best way to get more Northern content in the BMWCC mag is to send it in. Mag doesn't write itself.

Is anyone co-ordinating Scottish content submission to the BMWCC mag at the mo?

I have emailed all meets into Mag since Feb

Get the Sunday one and Next Saturday and they will get mailed in together

Since Gary is no longer available to do the Mag do you want to volunteer Duncan me old mate?

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv

Current:
116i Sport F20
m3tiko View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 11:20
AndyS in the middle of things again...

As noisufnoc said it was TBMW that showed the interest in coming up for an event, such as this one being held. Sunstroke john adds...you may be right mate Or it could be mere speculation from some of our members who knows??

If the flight to come up here is only £59...I'll pay for it. I'm incensed that TBMW are leaving us out, plenty of times I've seen RR's spreads with not even 10 cars. FYI,there may be only 10 cars for the RR, but a lot more are expected to attend.

The latest is that we've to submit pics and a write up for the clubmag...fair enough. If TBMW are requesting the same then a copy of the mag to us all who attend !!!

335d evolve 354bhp/742nm....M3 SEE YA!!

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 11:26

Originally posted by m3tiko m3tiko wrote:

The latest is that we've to submit pics and a write up for the clubmag...fair enough. If TBMW are requesting the same then a copy of the mag to us all who attend !!!

We always submit articles to club mag

What we are actually doing is submiting an article to BMW Car Magazine as they have kindly offered all regions a chance for there region to have 1 page in a mag to promote the club

Previous:

Current:
116i Sport F20
m3tiko View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 11:36
Pete, I know we/you always sumbit articles to the club mag..and it's great that we get some decent recogntion for the events we/you arrange.

However, it'd be nice for us to have someone else i.e TBMW to do a spread on us...thats all. From a commercial aspect it would do no harm whatsoever for a glossy to attend a meet such as this one, no?

TIko

335d evolve 354bhp/742nm....M3 SEE YA!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic