Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeater problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater problem
    Posted: 21-March-2006 at 13:17
I've just had the final output stage / hedgehog replaced on my digital climate control equipped 328 to cure the usual heater fan problem and as I left the indy all seemed well. Hot air blasting through the vents and no groaning noise from the dash.

Started the car the following day and the fans didn't work, display and everything else was fine but no fans. Cursing my indy I set off for work, about 5 minutes into the journey the fans kicked in and worked fine for the rest of my trip. Arriving at work I switched the car off, restarted it and the fan worked fine. Did this a few times and got the same result.

On leaving work the fan wasn;t working again but kicked in about 5 minutes into the journey again. I noticed that the engine temp gauge had just reached the 1st mark when the fan started working, as it had done in the morning. So as an experiment I pulled over and let the engine cool down. Restarted the car and the same thing happened, no fans until the temp gauge got to the 1st mark then bingo. Over the last few days I've been playing around with it and every time I've tried it exactly the same thing has happened. No fans on cold start but as soon as the gauge gets to the first mark on they come.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links

Zatoichi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 07:58
Problem solved by auto electricians.

Turns out there's a time delay relay between the ignition and the fan motor, bypass that by running a feed direct from the ignition and you're away.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic